Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I recently binged through Band of Brothers and The Pacific. The Pacific didn't quite match how great Band of Brothers was. It felt like a "here are the famous guys from The Marines" show vs following the story of one unit that BoB did. BoB follows from basic training, through the whole war, and then ends when they defeat Germany. You see people die or leave, you see replacements show up. You see people miss out on a campaign and return to a changed unit dynamic where the replacements they ragged on are now veterans and the guy returning is now less experienced.

The Pacific does a good job of showing how hosed things were for The Marines where they have the shittiest equipment and are given horrendous tasks to accomplish. But it ends up being a bunch of different stories compared to BoB. I guess that's just down to the real story of Easy Company being so insane that it was possible to create a great story out of the real events of one unit, whereas for the Pacific, they based it on two different books. Masters of the Air is based on one book and reviews seem to say it is full of great info, so hopefully the show will be closer to Band of Brothers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The Pacific does a great job at showing how horrible war is, and I think it’s underrated, though I do like Band of Brothers the best.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Yeah it does a great job of showing hosed everything is. I guess my overall point was that Band of Brothers makes you feel like you're part of it, you're feeling everything they are feeling because you've experienced it with them. The Pacific is more "here's how hosed Marines had it during the war."

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Having literally just started Band of Brothers yesterday (first time, two eps in) this is good stuff to hear.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Data Graham posted:

Having literally just started Band of Brothers yesterday (first time, two eps in) this is good stuff to hear.

oh poo poo, you haven't even hit the first mind blowing episode yet

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dAaLbsQSzI

This is a drat good trailer. I'm not pinning any hopes on it since the creator's main credits seem to be from Doctor Who and that poorly received War of the Worlds adaptation but I'll definitely give it a go.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

stev posted:

This is a drat good trailer. I'm not pinning any hopes on it since the creator's main credits seem to be from Doctor Who and that poorly received War of the Worlds adaptation but I'll definitely give it a go.

Not to further piss on the trailer but the episodes of Doctor Who he wrote are trash and one of them is widely considered the worst episode of the show.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
Man, that is a good trailer. Apple does one thing right, they aren't scared of forking out money for weird sci-fi

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The trailer is superb and I definitely am going to check it out, but yeah my familiarity with the writer is entirely his Doctor Who stuff and they were really, really bad, so I really hope it turns out he just needed the freedom to write his own thing.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
His adaptation of Jonathan Strange And Mister Norrell was really good.

His adaptation of The War Of The Worlds was really bad.

So who can really say.

(Me. He's probably not great.)

mystes
May 31, 2006

at least it's not Steven Moffat

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Can they CGI-deAge Damian Lewis and get him a spot in Masters of the Air to replace Austin Butler?

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 23, 2024

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

edit, this is not the streaming thread

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jan 23, 2024

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
We watched a couple of shows recently. I don't know how I missed Little America when it was airing but it is totally my jam. Perfect cross between High Maintenance and the last season of Reservation Dogs. I'm not saying I enjoyed each one equally but for an anthology I thought it was remarkably even in quality and tone.

We also watched Shrinking and liked it. It was funnier than I expected with likable characters. Some of the dialog fell into the generic modern sitcom rhythm that can get kind annoying but it was balanced by meaningful interactions.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

I recently binged through Band of Brothers and The Pacific. The Pacific didn't quite match how great Band of Brothers was. It felt like a "here are the famous guys from The Marines" show vs following the story of one unit that BoB did. BoB follows from basic training, through the whole war, and then ends when they defeat Germany. You see people die or leave, you see replacements show up. You see people miss out on a campaign and return to a changed unit dynamic where the replacements they ragged on are now veterans and the guy returning is now less experienced.

The Pacific does a good job of showing how hosed things were for The Marines where they have the shittiest equipment and are given horrendous tasks to accomplish. But it ends up being a bunch of different stories compared to BoB. I guess that's just down to the real story of Easy Company being so insane that it was possible to create a great story out of the real events of one unit, whereas for the Pacific, they based it on two different books. Masters of the Air is based on one book and reviews seem to say it is full of great info, so hopefully the show will be closer to Band of Brothers.

I love both, but the Pacific has too many main characters. I reckon dumping Leckie and keeping it just the Sledge and Basilone show would work wonders. It’s exhausting and not as enjoyable as band of brothers though.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

These puns are plainful.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Open Source Idiom posted:

These puns are plainful.
but plane-tiful

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

toggle posted:

It’s exhausting

Yeah, though I loved BoB I lost interest in the Pacific after just a couple episodes and never went back.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

The Pacific holds up better on a rewatch but it's not in my yearly watch list. It also doesn't move me, a grown man, to tears in certain episodes.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Just started watching Slow Horses and loving hell I've been missing out.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

stev posted:

Looks like a take on 1969's "Journey to the Far Side of the Sun" with a creepy twist.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Stegosnaurlax posted:

oh poo poo, you haven't even hit the first mind blowing episode yet

Guessing ... the Bastogne one?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

PriorMarcus posted:

Not to further piss on the trailer but the episodes of Doctor Who he wrote are trash and one of them is widely considered the worst episode of the show.

Which is the worst episode? Kill the moon?

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Data Graham posted:

Guessing ... the Bastogne one?

Carentan

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Watched the first episode of Masters of the Air, going on the second now. Seems ok so far.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Did they film this entire show in The Volume? Why is there so much goddamn light bloom in every shot? Memphis Belle came out 30 years ago and had better VFX than this show. What the gently caress are Hanks and Spielberg smoking?

Edit: I like the show, but any scene with an airplane in it feels like babby’s frist compositing job using 3D assets from Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator. Idk how Spielberg could’ve possibly nailed Jurassic Park 30 years ago as perfectly as he did, only to have gone backwards with VFX ever since.

Minor gripes. I worry that the hours I’ve spent in War Thunder have given me entirely unrealistic expectations of what to expect from WWII flying media now, and that my concerns are likely well overblown. The rest of the series seems promising.

This Elvis motherfucker is kind of annoying and one-dimensional so far though.

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jan 26, 2024

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
One thing that gives me hope is a tiktok I saw that was a clip of some sort of effects guy that worked on the show. He said that they had so many records that everything that happens to a plane in the show is what happened to the real plane in the war. So if a plane loses an engine, that's because the real plane lost that engine. So hopefully that means we aren't going to get Mustangs doing loving cobra maneuvers and thrust vectoring.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I’m crossing my fingers for a Billy Zane, Sean Aston, or Harry Connick Jr. cameo.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Cojawfee posted:

So hopefully that means we aren't going to get Mustangs doing loving cobra maneuvers and thrust vectoring.

Ext. Mustang. Camera zooms in on aft. exterior undercarriage. Hold close. We see the rear radiator duct flap fully extend. A stream of blue-hot jet exhaust bursts forth, replete with an elongating series of shock diamonds plainly visible. Wide shot. The wings of the P-51 fold backward as the aircraft overtakes the Me-262 in its crosshairs. The Me-262 reverses thrust to shake off the P-51 and the two planes are now engaged in a flat-spin mach 2 dogfight traveling upward and bursting through a stream of bombers.

I have to stop myself.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

XYZAB posted:

Ext. Mustang. Camera zooms in on aft. exterior undercarriage. Hold close. We see the rear radiator duct flap fully extend. A stream of blue-hot jet exhaust bursts forth, replete with an elongating series of shock diamonds plainly visible. Wide shot. The wings of the P-51 fold backward as the aircraft overtakes the Me-262 in its crosshairs. The Me-262 reverses thrust to shake off the P-51 and the two planes are now engaged in a flat-spin mach 2 dogfight traveling upward and bursting through a stream of bombers.

I have to stop myself.

It'll be more realistic if the ME262 pilot farts and the stupid glass cannon explodes

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I enjoyed it. I think it's shaping up into a decent show and I can recognise the various characters better than I ever could in The Pacific. So far it's doing a good job of showing how utterly terrifying it must have been as a bomber back then.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
These two episodes were alright, but it feels a bit like a soap opera with the dialog. The pacing is a bit off two, especially in the second episode, I get we can't do real time missions in the planes but being 9 minutes to the target and then bombs away a few seconds later, I dunno, felt rushed and then they have ten minutes dedicated to the officers mess hall relaxation and a bike race.

And no Tom Hanks history introduction like the pacific? weak.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
characters so far:

elvis
moustache
fighty new york guy
puke man
uptight puke man (he pukes blood)
cigar boss
ginger flu guy
jesus freak who got his rear end frozen

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I just watched the first episode and it felt weirdly... anemic? Like I could see the money on the screen obviously but it somehow still felt like everybody was going through the motions, nothing had any real weight, the characters don't feel particularly real, there's nothing there character-wise to make me feel any kind of connection with them.

I don't think it is unfair to compare it to Band of Brothers since it is the third show in that "series", but that did an incredible job of getting me invested in the soldiers of Easy Company and in particular Winters IMMEDIATELY stands out as somebody I wanted to see more of/know more about. Right now it seems the two main characters are meant to be Bucky and "Buck" and neither of them feel particularly interesting, and Bucky in particular is kinda aggravating when I think he's supposed to come off as likeable and we should be pulling for him to be allowed to go back to leading missions instead of being in the Air Executive?

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Jerusalem posted:

I just watched the first episode and it felt weirdly... anemic? Like I could see the money on the screen obviously but it somehow still felt like everybody was going through the motions, nothing had any real weight, the characters don't feel particularly real, there's nothing there character-wise to make me feel any kind of connection with them.

I don't think it is unfair to compare it to Band of Brothers since it is the third show in that "series", but that did an incredible job of getting me invested in the soldiers of Easy Company and in particular Winters IMMEDIATELY stands out as somebody I wanted to see more of/know more about. Right now it seems the two main characters are meant to be Bucky and "Buck" and neither of them feel particularly interesting, and Bucky in particular is kinda aggravating when I think he's supposed to come off as likeable and we should be pulling for him to be allowed to go back to leading missions instead of being in the Air Executive?

Band of Brothers had one thing going for it that made it real, and that was the old timers talking about it and making everyone cry

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Okay yeah, after episode 2 Bucky is just really loving annoying, he seems like an absolutely insufferable and exhausting person to be around. Maybe that's the point? Like, I get the feeling his "best friend" Buck (a nickname that Bucky forced on him) can't really stand him either?

I feel a bit mean making judgment calls like that given these are based (as far as I know) on real people/relationships so I guess just put it down to the performance not really nailing whatever the actual people were like?

Stegosnaurlax posted:

Band of Brothers had one thing going for it that made it real, and that was the old timers talking about it and making everyone cry

I did like that even though most of them spoke highly of Winters, you'd still get guys going,"Yeah he was okay... as far as ranking officers went :shrug:"

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

AcidCat posted:

Yeah, though I loved BoB I lost interest in the Pacific after just a couple episodes and never went back.

There are three great scenes from The Pacific.

The first is Jon Seda as Basilone dressing down his company for disrespecting their enemy. The "Slap a Jap" scene.

The second is mortar practice with Tojo and Fuckface. I had to be reminded about this one.

And the last is Gunny Elmo Haney haranguing and threatening a boot looie who flagged the line with his sidearm.

Rami Malek also has some great "going internal" scenes as Snafu but to everyone else that just looks like depressed introspection.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

XYZAB posted:

Did they film this entire show in The Volume? Why is there so much goddamn light bloom in every shot? Memphis Belle came out 30 years ago and had better VFX than this show. What the gently caress are Hanks and Spielberg smoking?

Edit: I like the show, but any scene with an airplane in it feels like babby’s frist compositing job using 3D assets from Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator. Idk how Spielberg could’ve possibly nailed Jurassic Park 30 years ago as perfectly as he did, only to have gone backwards with VFX ever since.

Minor gripes. I worry that the hours I’ve spent in War Thunder have given me entirely unrealistic expectations of what to expect from WWII flying media now, and that my concerns are likely well overblown. The rest of the series seems promising.

This Elvis motherfucker is kind of annoying and one-dimensional so far though.

My stream buffered and paused right here and really made me notice how off the compositing is

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
it seems more like a PBS show so far and I keep expecting Elvis to break out in song/dance or at least drop a "thankyouverymuch"

At least they showed the constant trevails of the mighty ball turret gunner (my great uncle was one in the 8th on a B-17 and died over Belgium)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flux Wildly
Dec 20, 2004

Welkum tü Zanydu!

I can’t unsee Bucky as a young Connor O’Malley and it’s really throwing me off