Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Bentai posted:

An accurate comparison of the Kaiju vs Monkey fight.

:perfect:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Banana Canada posted:

code:
Yours	Goonzeki		Mine	Difference

33	Jobbo_Fett		32.5	-0.5
30	captainblastum		29.5	-0.5
30	Ice Phisherman		29.5	-0.5
29.5	Banana Canada		29	-0.5
28	Netsky			27.5	-0.5
25	Communist Thoughts	24.5	-0.5
21	Fluffdaddy		20	-1
17	Xerzes			16.5	-0.5
29	Taffy Torpedo		28.5	-0.5
24	Rags to Liches		23.5	-0.5
23.5	Beexoffel		23	-0.5
23.5	Eldoop			23	-0.5
10	StupidSexyMothman	14.5	4.5
Harder to diagnose the differences this time for Day 10 but I think most are due to missing the MK on Day 10 for Takakeisho or Takayasu? And perhaps both for Fluffdaddy?

Also, StupidSexyMothman is still quite a bit off what I'm tracking and I think it may be due to not counting Hoshoryu's wins along with a missing MK?

Yep, I had a spreadsheet template error (i.e. a big one) that was messing up Takakeisho's scores with the auto-trades. There was an incidental mistake doing SSM's trade. These should have been reconciled by now.

Day 11 standings

Makuuchi
code:

45.5	Vargatron
45	Thauros
44	Saturnine Aberrance
43.5	Kenning
43	anakha
41	bessantj
41	Khizan
41	MalarkeyToboggan
41	pseudodragon
40	Iron Chef Nex
40	Pakled
40	Teddybear
38.5	Jobbo_Fett
38	Ben Nerevarine
38	Lid
37	Average Lettuce
37	Chinook
37	Marching Powder
37	MyChemicalImbalance
37	NuclearPotato
36.5	Everyones Favorite Poster
35	whats for dinner
34.5	Ice Phisherman
34.5	ullerrm
34	Helianthus Annuus
34	Robviously
33.5	captainblastum
32.5	Fearless
32	Tiny Bug Child
31.5	Banana Canada
31.5	Netsky
30.5	Brut
29	Communist Thoughts
28.5	Crusty Nutsack
28.5	NTRabbit
22	Fluffdaddy
21	bartolimu
20	Xerzes
Juryo
code:
47	Kennedy
46	Nativity In Black
46	Samuel L. Hacksaw
43.5	OneSizeFitsAll
43	Flinger
42	FART BOSS
42	Winter Stormer
41	Liquid Communism
40	Boogalo
37	Dead Goon
36.5	ratmosphere
34.5	Takuan
33.5	Kerrzhe
33.5	Taffy Torpedo
32.5	ImplicitAssembler
30.5	Nick Soapdish
30.5	PJ
29.5	Bentai
29	rare Magic card l00k
27.5	Greekonomics
26.5	Eldoop
26.5	Kuros
26.5	Rags to Liches
26	Beexoffel
25.5	KungFu Grip
24.5	Single Tight Female
21	CodFishBalls
18.5	Medenmath
17	StupidSexyMothman

FART BOSS
Aug 27, 2008

~hands upon harrows
heels in the weeds
starving and harvesting
down centuries~

Kenning, sorry to keep banging on about this but could you please undo my Asanoyama auto trade? He’ll be back tomorrow apparently. I requested no trade the day of the kyujo announcement but I think both you and Banana Canada have me with Kinbozan.

Edit: ah wait, BC has me at 43 after Kinbozan’s win yesterday and Kenning has me at 42 so I assume Kenning did in fact undo the trade. Thanks!

FART BOSS fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Jan 25, 2024

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
You have been visited by the bashful Tokushoryu of good fortune. Say Hello Eggman to receive 7 days of good luck

https://x.com/onelovelulit/status/1750430224108707958

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Can I offer you a nice eggman in this tryin' time?

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

Nativity In Black posted:

I will take an auto trade for asanoyama if he is indeed out on day 9. I want him back in my heya if he returns at a later date.

Per the previously established rule of being able to trade back on week 2 after a kyujo auto trade, I would like to have Asanoyama again if he's back for day 12.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
Dohyo was slippery today. Can't believe that's how my boy Gono goes out.

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003
I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

Kenning - still think you have some missing MK. All Myogiryu holders and most of the former holders of Takayasu are, by my calculations, off by -0.5.

Curiously, there are four goonzeki who also have a traded Takayasu but aren't discrepant (Helianthus Annuus, Samuel L. Hacksaw, Tiny Bug Child and Vargatron).

code:
Yours	Goonzeki		Mine	Diff	Reason
31.5	Banana Canada		31	-0.5	Missing Takayasu's MK?
31.5	Netsky			31	-0.5	Missing Myogiryu's MK?
29	Communist Thoughts	28.5	-0.5	Missing Takayasu's MK?
22	Fluffdaddy		21.5	-0.5	Missing Takayasu's MK?
20	Xerzes			19.5	-0.5	Missing Takayasu's MK?
26.5	Eldoop			26	-0.5	Missing Takayasu's MK?
26.5	Kuros			26	-0.5	Missing Myogiryu's MK?
17	StupidSexyMothman	16	-1	Missing Myogiryu's MK + Missing Takayasu's MK?

FART BOSS posted:

Kenning, sorry to keep banging on about this but could you please undo my Asanoyama auto trade? He’ll be back tomorrow apparently. I requested no trade the day of the kyujo announcement but I think both you and Banana Canada have me with Kinbozan.

Edit: ah wait, BC has me at 43 after Kinbozan’s win yesterday and Kenning has me at 42 so I assume Kenning did in fact undo the trade. Thanks!

I did see your request to hold Asanoyama but my general rule is to only reflect things in my tracker that are gazetted in Kenning's posts. For this case, I'll assume Kenning did keep you will Asanoyama (since it explains the 1-point discrepancy) and will also revert the auto-trade in my tracker. Your score should reflect this from my Day 12 post.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Tomokaze/Mitakeumi was a hell of a fight, great defenses by both men. Too many failed grip change attempts by Mitake gave Tomokaze the much-needed win. I'm very glad he pulled that off. He lost a lot of strength when his knee exploded a couple of years ago, but he can still hang in the Maegashira ranks IMO.

Ah yes, Myogiryu vs. Meisei, or as I like to call it, Clone Wars.

Kinbozan with a very concerning limp after his fight. I hope it's not that right knee he already has taped up. :(

Ichiyamamoto actually getting the dead body ruling against him was a surprise, but maybe the Old Men are as tired of seeing his regression into Ultimate Slapdown Man as I am. A deserved win by Tobizaru in any case.

Shodai. That was some high-centered bulldozer stuff right there.

Kinda surprised to see Wakamotoharu vs. Kotoshoho given the difference in rank. Also kinda surprised now not-surprised I was when Kotoshoho won. That was a good fight.

Very proud of the Christmas Tree for excellent belt defense and strong forward movement, even though I was cheering for Atamifuji. Atami still has a chance for KK but the margin is gone. Fingers crossed.

Not the first time I've seen Ura win by "opponent falls over," and it never gets less funny.

And his name shall be Kotonowaka-Ozeki.

Eat poo poo, Ryuden.

For a brief moment I thought Onosato was gonna pull that off. Good fight, kid. Come up a few ranks and do it again. You'll get there eventually.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

bartolimu posted:

Not quite there yet. He's at 31 wins right now and would need a 13-2 record to be sure. 12-3 and 32 wins might have a case, but only if it's a strong jun-yusho.

If he can beat the Kaiju tomorrow, I'll be willing to join you in that prediction.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Teru / Ono Hot drat, I thought the kid had a chance for a second there. At least he didn't seem totally lost like he was against Kotonowaka. Good clash, just got baited into going off balance by the wily old vet. Kid seemed nervous the whole time he was out there, and who wouldn't be. He's still got his KK, and has looked decent against the top top guys (except Koto) so he's got plenty to build on for sure. Onosato vs Hokuoho bouts for the next 15 years! Hail Saton!

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

bartolimu posted:

His name shall actually be Kotozakura-Ozeki, but yeah, the Ozeki part seems inevitable, if not now then pretty darn soon.

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003

Per the previously established rule of being able to trade back on week 2 after a kyujo auto trade, I would like to have Asanoyama again if he's back for day 12.

Not sure if that's allowed as I think the rule is that you can request to not auto-trade before it goes through - i.e. in the time between you learn of their kyujo and prior to the start of the matches on the day after their Fusensho. Nevertheless, will await Kenning's ruling and will undo your trade if my understanding isn't correct.

Day 12:

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

I’ll take Asanoyama back as well if he’s coming back to fight, I always figured he was just going to take a couple days off to see if his leg responded to some rest

if that’s not allowed, I’ll just stick with the auto-trade!

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003

bartolimu posted:

Not the first time I've seen Ura win by "opponent falls over," and it never gets less funny.

The kimarite was declared as "hikiotoshi" (hand pull down) but they really should declare a new one which properly describes what this is - win by feint.

Edit: upon further inspection of the wikipedia Kimarite list, there is a category of kimarite for this:

Non-techniques
Non-techniques (Japanese: 非技, romanized: higi) are the five ways in which a wrestler can win without employing a technique.

Fumidashi
Fumidashi (踏み出し, "rear step out") occurs when an opponent accidentally takes a backward step outside the ring with no attack initiated against him.

Isamiashi
Isamiashi (勇み足, "forward step out") occurs when, in the performance of a kimarite, the opponent inadvertently steps too far forward and places a foot outside the ring.

Koshikudake
Koshikudake (腰砕け, "inadvertent collapse") is called when the opponent falls over backwards without a technique being initiated against him. This usually happens because he has over-committed to an attack.

Tsukihiza
Tsukihiza (つきひざ, "knee touch down") is called when the opponent stumbles and lands on one or both knees without any significant prior contact with the winning wrestler.

Tsukite
Tsukite (つき手, "hand touch down") occurs when the opponent stumbles and lands on one or both hands without any significant prior contact with the winning wrestler.

Banana Canada fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 25, 2024

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Banana Canada posted:

Edit: upon further inspection of the wikipedia Kimarite list, there is a category of kimarite for this:

I have a strong suspicion they try everything they can to avoid awarding those kimarite, as they could be embarrassing to the losing guy (and because they're not exactly "fun"). If there's any possibility that a hand lightly brushed someone before they went face-first into the dohyo, it's a hikiotoshi. Dude got turned around and stepped out five feet from someone who grabbed his elbow three seconds ago? Clearly that's a kotenage.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Banana Canada posted:

Koshikudake
Koshikudake (腰砕け, "inadvertent collapse") is called when the opponent falls over backwards without a technique being initiated against him. This usually happens because he has over-committed to an attack.

I remember Kakuryu giving a neat example of this as Yokozuna. Shameful but also very funny.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Banana Canada posted:

The kimarite was declared as "hikiotoshi" (hand pull down) but they really should declare a new one which properly describes what this is - win by feint.

This just looks like the old Shonanzakura highlight reel that had multiple ways of falling over standing up from the tachi-ai.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://www.youtube.com/post/UgkxMeazgJzkafhEEaHXe33pz_YngHvTPAky

sumostew moving up in the world

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Beeswax posted:

You have been visited by the bashful Tokushoryu of good fortune. Say Hello Eggman to receive 7 days of good luck

Does the People's Champion have elder stock or is he on a career success allowance?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Beeswax posted:

Hello Eggman.

FART BOSS posted:

Okay good, I thought I'd fixed your sheet and I had. Please always feel free to remind me though, the thread can get very busy and it's easy to miss things.

Rags to Liches posted:

I’ll take Asanoyama back as well if he’s coming back to fight, I always figured he was just going to take a couple days off to see if his leg responded to some rest

if that’s not allowed, I’ll just stick with the auto-trade!

I will! Also, if he does show up tomorrow please remind me and I'll make sure I update y—

Banana Canada posted:

Not sure if that's allowed as I think the rule is that you can request to not auto-trade before it goes through - i.e. in the time between you learn of their kyujo and prior to the start of the matches on the day after their Fusensho. Nevertheless, will await Kenning's ruling and will undo your trade if my understanding isn't correct.

Wait, poo poo, I need to review the tape. I know we'd discussed this, I'll page through my old posts and come to a definitive ruling to add to the OP tomorrow..

Banana Canada posted:

Kenning - still think you have some missing MK. All Myogiryu holders and most of the former holders of Takayasu are, by my calculations, off by -0.5.

Curiously, there are four goonzeki who also have a traded Takayasu but aren't discrepant (Helianthus Annuus, Samuel L. Hacksaw, Tiny Bug Child and Vargatron).

code:
Yours	Goonzeki		Mine	Diff	Reason
31.5	Banana Canada		31	-0.5	Missing Takayasu's MK?
31.5	Netsky			31	-0.5	Missing Myogiryu's MK?
29	Communist Thoughts	28.5	-0.5	Missing Takayasu's MK?
22	Fluffdaddy		21.5	-0.5	Missing Takayasu's MK?
20	Xerzes			19.5	-0.5	Missing Takayasu's MK?
26.5	Eldoop			26	-0.5	Missing Takayasu's MK?
26.5	Kuros			26	-0.5	Missing Myogiryu's MK?
17	StupidSexyMothman	16	-1	Missing Myogiryu's MK + Missing Takayasu's MK?
I did see your request to hold Asanoyama but my general rule is to only reflect things in my tracker that are gazetted in Kenning's posts. For this case, I'll assume Kenning did keep you will Asanoyama (since it explains the 1-point discrepancy) and will also revert the auto-trade in my tracker. Your score should reflect this from my Day 12 post.

As always, I appreciate your diligence in checking my sheet. Myogiryu was missing his MK, but it's been since added. Eldoop, Fluffdaddy, SSM, and Xerxes were all missing Ura's MK, rather than Takayasu's (this is the last bad part of my spreadsheet). Communist Thoughts was missing the trade penalty.

RE: FART BOSS, I did revert their sheet from the auto-trade I did, so they've had Asanoyama this whole time. I feel like I mentioned it in-thread, but you know,

Kenning posted:

the thread can get very busy and it's easy to miss things.

Hell yeah she's earned it, she has some of the best sumo content in English.

loving fantastic day of bouts, my wife heard me hooting and hollering about sumo from the other side of the house. I'm so excited for the final weekend.

Day 12 standings

Makuuchi
code:
49	Saturnine Aberrance
47.5	Kenning
47.5	Vargatron
47	Thauros
46	MalarkeyToboggan
45	anakha
43	bessantj
43	Khizan
43	Pakled
43	pseudodragon
42	Iron Chef Nex
42	Teddybear
41.5	Jobbo_Fett
41	Lid
40	Average Lettuce
40	Ben Nerevarine
39.5	Everyones Favorite Poster
39	Chinook
39	Marching Powder
39	MyChemicalImbalance
39	NuclearPotato
38.5	Ice Phisherman
38.5	ullerrm
37.5	Robviously
37	Tiny Bug Child
36.5	whats for dinner
36	captainblastum
36	Helianthus Annuus
34.5	Fearless
34	Netsky
33.5	Banana Canada
32.5	Crusty Nutsack
32	Brut
31.5	Communist Thoughts
31.5	NTRabbit
24.5	Fluffdaddy
23	bartolimu
21.5	Xerzes
Juryo
code:
49	Kennedy
49	Nativity In Black
48	Samuel L. Hacksaw
46.5	OneSizeFitsAll
46	Flinger
45	Winter Stormer
44	Boogalo
44	FART BOSS
43	Liquid Communism
39.5	ratmosphere
39	Dead Goon
36	Taffy Torpedo
36	Takuan
35.5	Kerrzhe
34.5	Nick Soapdish
34	ImplicitAssembler
32	PJ
31.5	rare Magic card l00k
31	Bentai
30	Greekonomics
29.5	Beexoffel
29	Eldoop
29	Kuros
28.5	Single Tight Female
28	Rags to Liches
27	KungFu Grip
21.5	CodFishBalls
20.5	Medenmath
19.5	StupidSexyMothman

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Shiroc posted:

Does the People's Champion have elder stock or is he on a career success allowance?
He's got elder stock, Sendagawa-oyakata! :unsmith:

Also, SHODAI!

Bentai fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jan 26, 2024

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
have a feeling that Tobizaru got robbed there, but holy poo poo at Ura engaging a loving anti-grav field while in mid-air

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Ura knew he touched it and you could see it in his face during the mono-ii, he couldn't believe he got away with it

Also CHAOS SUMO

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
What a night of sumo! Was literally pacing around in the lead up to those final two matches.

Ura Never touched! Magic fingers at work again. Okay he probably did but hey, the judges ruled he won. We take those.

SHODAI Knew when it went to a rematch Shodai was going to lose quick. He doesn't want to fight once a night, let alone twice.

Hoshoryu crying after losing. I felt that. And he couldn't even go to the back.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Kirishima-Kotonowaka and Hoshoryu-Terunofuji should be pretty much set in stone for tomorrow.

anakha fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jan 26, 2024

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003

I won't be changing anything yet regarding Asanoyama's kyujo auto-trades on my tracker until Kenning makes a ruling. However, from scanning the thread, it looks like Chinook, Ben Nerevarine, Fearless, ullerrm and FART BOSS all requested a no-trade for Asanoyama but the latter three all got an auto-trade initially. FART BOSS is fixed now on both our trackers but I think Fearless and ullerrm should also get the same correction from Day 10. All other trades should stand if I'm reading the rules correctly.

code:
Day 12:

Yours	Goonzeki	Mine	Diff	Reason

39	Chinook		38.5	-0.5	Missing Hokutofuji's MK?
24.5	Fluffdaddy	24	-0.5	Missing Hokutofuji's MK?
35.5	Kerrzhe		35	-0.5	Missing Hokutofuji's MK?
29	Eldoop		28.5	-0.5	Missing Hokutofuji's MK?

33.5	Banana Canada	33	-0.5	Missing Tamawashi's trade penalty?
21.5	Xerzes		21	-0.5	Missing Bushozan's MK? Or Ichiyamamoto's trade penalty?
I think all four with Hokutofuji are missing their MK deduction.

Also for myself and Xerzes, some deduction is still missing. Must be one of the red -0.5's for each of us:

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003

pseudodragon posted:

This just looks like the old Shonanzakura highlight reel that had multiple ways of falling over standing up from the tachi-ai.

Only two koshikudake (inadvertent collapse) bouts shows up in his history. And one of those was one of his three wins!

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
Shodai was robbed but I'll take the point

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Day 13 ruminations:

Yay Tamawashi KK!

Weird Meisei KK but okay. Kinda surprised Kotoshoho fell over for that.

Eat poo poo, Ryuden. I hope this one stung more than usual because Endo's record is so awful.

Shodai.

He clearly won the first match but sure let's make him fight again and maybe he'll break a sweat. Lol nope.

Nice little scoop throw from a clearly nervous/unfit Asanoyama. I doubt he'll have the good sense to bow out with his KK, but I guess we'll see tomorrow.

Ichiyamamoto vs. Abi. Yet another Clone War. They have similar flaily fighting styles. Abi's footwork is worse, but his commitment to forward sumo was slightly greater than Ichi's today. What a thrilling match.

Kinbozan, that was a shamefully poor attempt at henka. If you're gonna do it, really commit.

Wakamotoharu will be re-taking Komosubi when Ura drops, so good for him. Sekiwake seems pretty crowded, so I'm not sure they'll give him that rank even if he finishes with 11 wins.

Absolutely beautiful outside leg trip from Kirishima there! Really making the case for the rope if he can Jun-Yusho. I hope Hoshoryu was just mad and not hurt, hard to tell from his resting rage face.

Ohhh, Kotonowaka. I saw that. You tried to pull the Yokozuna. Worked exactly well as you knew it would, but you tried it anyhow. Now you've got no safety net to get 33 wins and the yusho race is Very Interesting instead of pretty well taken care of. What a shame.

I'm still gonna cheer for him, of course, but drat. What an unfortunate loss.

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003

Day 13:

Edit: Fixed the tie-breaker section of the daily progression table.

Banana Canada fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jan 27, 2024

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Banana Canada posted:

Only two koshikudake (inadvertent collapse) bouts shows up in his history. And one of those was one of his three wins!

There's 2 here. I guess all his other matches have actual winning techniques because he goes flying back/falls from the slightest contact so it counts.

https://twitter.com/BryanAGraham/status/1204819788817739777?s=20

Note: he went another 0-66 after that to retire at 3-238-1.

pseudodragon fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 26, 2024

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Shodai was ROBBED. His foot was absolutely in bounds.

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

Looks like something happened to the trade and Juryo columns - I have my score matching your listing for me, however I am quite confident I have not traded anyone, and my Juryo pick Nishikifuji has 9 wins, not 5. I suspect this isn't actually a score recording issue, just an issue with this table getting the special columns transposed across from yesterdays scores, maybe?

Saturnine Aberrance fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jan 26, 2024

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Yes, Shishi is 6-7 at the moment and hasn't made KK in Juryo.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://twitter.com/patriciajaydee/status/1750951740063818134
:allears:

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

pseudodragon posted:

There's 2 here. I guess all his other matches have actual winning techniques because he goes flying back/falls from the slightest contact so it counts.

https://twitter.com/BryanAGraham/status/1204819788817739777?s=20

Note: he went another 0-66 after that to retire at 3-238-1.

What? How? How is possible to be that bad? He is, using a wrestling term, a jobber? Like, he just falls over without being touched!
I'm so intrigued how someone does this and keeps continuing on.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Kid might have had nowhere to go, or was just doing other work for his stable, but as a requirement he had to wrestle regardless.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Digital Jedi posted:

What? How? How is possible to be that bad? He is, using a wrestling term, a jobber? Like, he just falls over without being touched!
I'm so intrigued how someone does this and keeps continuing on.

He retired two years ago. But tbh he's not unique -- there's often a sandbagger or two in jonokuchi at any given time.

Hattorizakura just really loved the sumo lifestyle. He was apparently always upbeat and willing to help out around the stable and do chores/etc. -- well liked, but simply not built for wrestling. He never put on weight or developed good form, got injured a few times... but he also didn't want to be known as a quitter. So the dude wrestled for six years, only won three matches in his entire career (often against other sandbaggers), and never made it out of jonokuchi.

Reportedly, when he retired, he moved back in with his parents and was working on starting a post-sumo career, but nobody's seen hair nor hide of him since. And that's fine, he's earned the right to disappear and reinvent himself.

I honestly see it as a "dudes rock" sort of thing. Yeah, he was awful, but you gotta respect the tenacity.

ullerrm fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jan 26, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Are there no other roles someone like that could take on? I kind of assumed the yobidashi are like that, intense sumo fans but who didn't have the right build or athletic ability. Maybe he could have been one of the special hairdressers. But I guess those roles are also very limited in availability, and I suppose by connections/family/whatever.

Anyway,

I'm still very new to sumo, but I have come to understand that only Shodai could get a kinboshi in the same basho he got an MK and a loss to someone with a 1-10 record or whatever it was at the time.

Looking forward to the final couple days, should be an interesting competition between the three guys at 11 wins. I feel bad for wanting Teru to miss out on the yusho, but I feel like him winning is the least interesting outcome, compared to getting a new ozeki or yokozuna.