Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

mystes posted:

drat just directing a bunch of pilots and raking in the cash would be nice

That's called doing a JJ Abrams

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

MarcusSA posted:

Finished Silo finally which was really good but I was kinda expecting that ending. Very good overall though.

I also watched rebel moon which I knew was bad but it was like next level bad and kinda makes me mad it’s that garbage.

I guess that's why it didn't get to be a star war. You'd think they'd get the hint when it was rejected compared to what's made for star wars these days

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Timby posted:

I'm a shameless slut for procedurals like the Chicago shows and the Law & Orders, but my God, the Peacock app on PS4 is borderline-unusable. Keeps crashing to the home screen (on the rare occasion it doesn't just completely lock up) and the search is utterly broken.

Same, thats why I dropped it a year or two ago when I was near the end of Resident Alien season 1. Great show but the app was too terrible, both on PS4 and PC. I haven't been willing to pick it back up since, despite their emails with increasingly good offers.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Masters of the Air premieres tomorrow!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

I guess that's why it didn't get to be a star war. You'd think they'd get the hint when it was rejected compared to what's made for star wars these days

Yeah, it’s crazy it can’t meet the standard of all the Star Wars movies coming out these days.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

BonoMan posted:

Netflix also cancelled The Mothership, the Halle Berry sci-fi film that was already in post-production after "suffering from multiple post-production delays."

Which is weird because... just release it later? But I'm assuming that is just code for "poo poo was real bad and not worth releasing" but that's doubtful.

Maybe the computer crashed and they lost all the spaceship shots. :(

zoux posted:

jesus christ

I thought that was bad before I realized I missed the "last 3 months" part!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

zoux posted:

Masters of the Air premieres tomorrow!

Technically it will come out around 9 Eastern time tonight.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

That’s lovely but also Babylon Berlin s4 was an absolutely massive step down

Dance marathon :colbert:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

zoux posted:

jesus christ

If they want to throw out a bunch of money for no reason, they could just put 1% of that in my bank account and I wouldn't complain.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
How would that maximize shareholder profits

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

feedmyleg posted:

How would that maximize shareholder profits

They could give me 8 million and keep the other 800+ mil. Seems like a better deal than what they've got going on.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/b...uit-1235807439/

Kelly Carlin is suing the company that made the AI "George Carlin" comedy special. This might have more legs than other lawsuits on AI theft since the promoters behind the special admitted that they used Carlin's old performances to train their AI.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

muscles like this! posted:

Kelly Carlin is suing the company that made the AI "George Carlin" comedy special. This might have more legs than other lawsuits on AI theft since the promoters behind the special admitted that they used Carlin's old performances to train their AI.

Still shocked Will Sasso was involved with something so deeply lame

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I didn't know about AI George Carlin so I went and clicked around the special and although it sounds like him, it sure as gently caress isn't funny like him. It's just a compilation of complaints set to a laugh track with absolutely no wit or novelty included outside of the fact it sounds like George Carlin. It's awful, I hope it made no actual money, and I hope Kelly Carlin burns it to the ground.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

The Finn posted:

Still shocked Will Sasso was involved with something so deeply lame

Was his career just already done? Because being involved in an unauthorized AI scheme using a dead comedy legend seems like it would be career suicide.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Network TV had a such a chance with Hulu too. They had a super deep back catalog of endlessly rewatchable classic sitcoms, sports, and more experimental shows from their cable networks. They just never bothered to sell it to their advertisers like cord-cutting was going to magically reverse itself or something.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

And there's decent odds it wasn't even AI generated

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The parts I listened to had a stilted, alien quality to them, like when it compares electing Trump to taking a big poo poo without explaining the exact components of the metaphor and instead segueing into talking about taking big shits. It’s the approximate form of a joke without any content. I guess you could accuse bad comedians of having an inhuman, alien intelligence though. I can believe someone tried to write something that sounded like ai wrote it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So basically like all those "ai writes a movie" things from a couple years ago. Where it was actually a person picking and choosing the funny bits. Well, "funny"

In actual comedy news, Brad Neely (of China, IL, Wizard People, Dear Reader and Brad Neely's Harg Nallin' Sclopio Peepio) has written a book. "You, Me and Ulysses S Grant" is a fake biography of Grant written in Neely's overblown way with an audiobook version done in the Wizard People voice.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So basically like all those "ai writes a movie" things from a couple years ago. Where it was actually a person picking and choosing the funny bits. Well, "funny"

In actual comedy news, Brad Neely (of China, IL, Wizard People, Dear Reader and Brad Neely's Harg Nallin' Sclopio Peepio) has written a book. "You, Me and Ulysses S Grant" is a fake biography of Grant written in Neely's overblown way with an audiobook version done in the Wizard People voice.

Guess I'm buying my first audiobook

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

theflyingexecutive posted:

Network TV had a such a chance with Hulu too. They had a super deep back catalog of endlessly rewatchable classic sitcoms, sports, and more experimental shows from their cable networks. They just never bothered to sell it to their advertisers like cord-cutting was going to magically reverse itself or something.

Hulu was dead the moment the Walt Disney Company announced they were buying 21st Century Fox.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Edward Mass posted:

Hulu was dead the moment the Walt Disney Company announced they were buying 21st Century Fox.

It's not dead, it just means that Disney gets to make people in the US pay twice.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Cojawfee posted:

It's not dead, it just means that Disney gets to make people in the US pay twice.

It's a dead service walking. Disney is already beta testing a Hulu tab in US Disney+, and the only thing after that is figuring out what to do with the Live TV aspect.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

Edward Mass posted:

It's a dead service walking. Disney is already beta testing a Hulu tab in US Disney+, and the only thing after that is figuring out what to do with the Live TV aspect.

Turn ESPN into ESPTVN

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Edward Mass posted:

Absolutely, that consolidation was brutal.

The worst part is that you could've seen it coming from a mile away. Netflix was license Moneyballing everything they could get their hands on while simultaneously using their New Media Union contracts to shoot very pretty but usually terrible in house media. Hulu could've smothered it in its crib with back catalog alone, but all the studios decided that making heinously expensive TV Shows on rickety platforms was the best move, so here we are.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Yo if you want a mashup of The Last of Us and True Detective that mostly works, try Monsieur Spade.

There's a lot that isn't ideal. Clive Owen is not Humphrey Bogart and it seems like the other characters are reacting to him as if he were. And the comic relief is a bit headscratching for a show in which the end of the first episode leaves us with six murdered nuns shot through the head and their bodies arranged in a macabre prayer circle.

But I'm cautiously excited. Especially since a third of the way in we still haven't met the character everyone including the police are afraid of touching.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jan 26, 2024

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Bright Bart posted:

Yo if you want a mashup of The Last of Us and True Detective that mostly works, try Monsieur Spade.

There are killer mushrooms in Monsieur Spade?

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Open Source Idiom posted:

There are killer mushrooms in Monsieur Spade?

It's France so I wouldn't put it out of reach!

But I mean the surrogate father to a teenage girl who has survival skills of her own dynamic. Though to be fair the kid that needs to be brought someone/rescued is a second (related?) kid.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jan 26, 2024

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Bright Bart posted:

Yo i checked out the first ep and I thought this was pretty good. I dunno about Bogart, it's been a while since I saw the film and I was always more familiar with the book anyway, but the dialogue gets it and there's a good vibe. Really great acting from the supporting cast, particularly impressed with the young actor who they cast as the teen being so specific and believable, but I also loved the dead wife and the cop. Plus some unexpected Dean Winters and Tamara Tunie in the trailer.

I also wasn't expecting was the vague supernatural element though, whose inclusion leaves me a bit puzzled.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/JordanPeele/status/1750910249526247617

This looks sick

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Dev Patel as Indian John Wick, count me the gently caress in.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Oh gently caress yeah

As one might surmise from my avatar, I'm extremely down for this

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

swickles posted:

Dev Patel as Indian John Wick, count me the gently caress in.

How do I get to write, direct, and star in a movie that is "I am John Wick" with Jordan Peele producing

Huh how about that
https://twitter.com/jonathanmb32/status/1750917862577811842

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Jan 26, 2024

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yo i checked out the first ep and I thought this was pretty good. I dunno about Bogart, it's been a while since I saw the film and I was always more familiar with the book anyway, but the dialogue gets it and there's a good vibe. Really great acting from the supporting cast, particularly impressed with the young actor who they cast as the teen being so specific and believable, but I also loved the dead wife and the cop. Plus some unexpected Dean Winters and Tamara Tunie in the trailer.

I also wasn't expecting was the vague supernatural element though, whose inclusion leaves me a bit puzzled.

Nice to hear I didn't swing and miss!

The thing you're referring to doesn't seem to be taken very seriously by Sam at this point. When he learns what the kid they're after is meant to be he's basically 'WTF? Another cult looking for a different religion's prophet child?' But it's likely some actors will be taking that element seriously, and it may have geopolitical impact regardless of the kid's nature.

Real glad how they set up the unofficial foster father-unofficial foster daughter relationship. We don't have to go through trite scenes of the girl slowly warming up to him. Or a faux-climax where Sam looks like he'll give the girl up for his own safety or comfort. She likes him. He cares for her. That's a better starting point. And I nearly laughed out loud when the cop is grilling him on why he got involved and Sam is trying to say it was $$$ but the cop smells BS and teases it out.

Finally, the trailer gave off Queen's Gambit vibes before I learned it's from the same show creator half-way through. But it's not coming through in the episodes so far.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Just learned the people who do the Saturn Awards (which focuses on sci-fi, fantasy and horror media) have created an achievement award in Lance Reddick's honor. Keanu Reeves is going to be the first honoree.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

Does Lance not get the first one??

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

You can’t win your own award!

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Truspeaker posted:

Does Lance not get the first one??

I have some bad news for you about how most honorary awards get their name...

mystes
May 31, 2006

Someone should create an honorary award in memory of someone where that person gets the award every year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I present the first annual feedmyleg award for mediocre posting to myself