Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I mean, poo poo, we just got cute Papers, please. Who the gently caress would have thought that brutalist bureaucratic misery simulator was a genre you could make cute?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

palworld as it is now in early access isn't even that grim. like you give a pokemon a gun and it's not like "oh my god how could you do this" and it's more like "hell yeah gently caress em up lifmunk". it's cool

the only thing that squicked me out was butchering, that feels pretty awful, so i just sold my pals to the merchant instead when i needed to clear out my pal box.

goatface posted:

I mean, poo poo, we just got cute Papers, please. Who the gently caress would have thought that brutalist bureaucratic misery simulator was a genre you could make cute?

please tell me the name of cute papers, please, please

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
here's that Castle Super Beast discussion about Palworld, copyright, plagiarism, AI/crypto bullshit, the history of the game, company, etc etc it covers ALL of it. it's the best segment they've ever had on the podcast, definitely a solid listen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNe0qfKN7h8&hd=1

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Vermain posted:

"pokemon with a gun" is a joke that's almost directly from 2002-2003 era internet humor and it's frankly weird that no one else even bothered trying to capitalize on the concept beforehand

That's because everyone who wanted to capitalize on that was 14 and made Pokemon romhacks and/or fangames.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Kerrzhe posted:

Lil' Guardsman

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Kerrzhe posted:

Lil' Guardsman. Though I will admit I have not played it and am working from second hand descriptions.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I haven't played a ton of Palworld yet but it doesn't seem that twisted to me so far. Giving guns to Pokemon seems more hosed up in a symbolic sense than it does in a practical sense considering they're already all about roasting each other with built-in flamethrowers and crushing the poo poo out of each other with an insane amount of violence. Maybe I haven't gotten to the twisted part yet but it just seems like a game that lacks that particular boundary as opposed to insanely leaning into the "look how hosed up these Pokemon are :twisted:" thing. It kind of reminds me of how when I was a kid the Spider-Man cartoon wasn't allowed to show real guns or talk about/imply killing so it was all about shooting people "non-lethally" with laser guns, and now I'm playing Spider-Man on PS5 and it's just gun city with tons of swearing and one guy got mind controlled into shooting himself in the head, but even still, it still basically has the same tone as that original cartoon I remember and not some dark twisted version of Spider-Man.

Volte fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jan 26, 2024

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Maybe we'll get a poke-programmer game where you get given a limited pool of options and have to construct a reliable poke-engine of critters, moves and AI to defeat a series of incoming challengers without active input once you set it all in motion.

Zachtronics does pokemon.

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
Maybe we'll get a pokemon game that doesn't run like shite oooooOOoo gently caress you game freak

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Please, be realistic.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

now I know what it would be like if Tycho from Penny Arcade posted here, thanks Sumerian Telecom

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

D.Fuzzbot posted:

Everyone loves Pissworld

I see we're finally ready to talk about the real survival game of the year, Urge.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
gamefreak should divert even more resources away from optimization and into designing even more monsters

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Make the next Pokémon consist of regional forms only.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

goatface posted:

There are worse things they could attempt. I'll take anything over the years of endless miserable brown shooters.

I'd rather have more brown and grey shooters actually

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023
The next pokemon should only have like 20 pokemon but they've hundreds of animations and reactions to the player and the world around them.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

How about a pokemon game with skippable cutscenes

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I knew that "Pi" meant blood because there's a Korean reality show called Game of Blood where they also did P-wordplay because P also stood for Parasite

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

goatface posted:

Maybe we'll get a poke-programmer game where you get given a limited pool of options and have to construct a reliable poke-engine of critters, moves and AI to defeat a series of incoming challengers without active input once you set it all in motion.

Zachtronics does pokemon.

Exapokes

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I've been playing the hot new game about capturing monsters and people & forcing them to do your bidding...that's right, Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth

Is the game's version of Honolulu as accurate as previous games' versions of Kabukicho and Dotunbori?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

At the very least it looks like they partnered with a bunch of real life shops and stuff for branding

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hwurmp posted:

I've been playing the hot new game about capturing monsters and people & forcing them to do your bidding...that's right, Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth

Is the game's version of Honolulu as accurate as previous games' versions of Kabukicho and Dotunbori?

LAD:IW is absolutely the better of the games where you capture creatures and enslave them to work on your island

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Infinitum posted:

Another day another live action trailer with a famous actor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzZr6v6fmq8

Edit: Oh god it's even worse than I though :laffo:

lmao people already hated the idea of this game and now they're showcasing the genre of writing that tanked Midnight Suns and Forespoken

I guess that just happened

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Infinite Wealth is in the better genre(turn based RPG)

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Do you enslave the poundmates, the snap sickos or someone else?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Alright nerds I'm organising ROMs for a retro handheld that'll be arriving Monday.

:siren: Recommend me some hidden gems or games you like from your childhood :siren:

PS2/Gamecube/3DS/Wii backwards is as powerful as it can run.
Assume I've got all the mainline popular stuff lined up.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

daisenryaku vii exceed

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Battle Hunters

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Actraiser 2 (superman tendo)

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jan 26, 2024

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

(Name the systems as well :v:)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Chibi-Robo(Gamecube)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

goatface posted:

Do you enslave the poundmates, the snap sickos or someone else?

You enslave the various 'monsters' (i.e: fuckin' weirdos) you fight, which does include the Sicko Snap types.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jan 26, 2024

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Infinitum posted:

Alright nerds I'm organising ROMs for a retro handheld that'll be arriving Monday.

:siren: Recommend me some hidden gems or games you like from your childhood :siren:

Urban Reign for da PS2, imo

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Infinitum posted:

kickle cubicle - NES
illusion of gaia - SNES

D.Fuzzbot
Sep 5, 2023

ImpAtom posted:

You enslave the various 'monsters' (i.e: fuckin' weirdos) you fight, which does include the Sicko Snap types.

gently caress nobody told me yakuza added playable pokemon.

These are the hosed up mons I can get into

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Also I feel like it gets overlooked a lot but I think by far the single most interesting part about palworld is that it took three(3) years to make. These guy used buckets of flash drives and worked part time in retail. The rest of the industry should feel a little stupid right now.

Although I do believe curses are real. So I fully expect Palworld 2:Silkrune, to take 10+ years to make.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Infinitum posted:

True Lies for the SNES
Attack of the Mutant Penguins if you can run Jaguar
Shining in the Darkness for Genesis

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The next one will be the crowd funded Pal Citizen.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I hope the gun animation guy who worked at poppo can afford a fancy new chair and monitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Also I feel like it gets overlooked a lot but I think by far the single most interesting part about palworld is that it took three(3) years to make. These guy used buckets of flash drives and worked part time in retail. The rest of the industry should feel a little stupid right now.

Although I do believe curses are real. So I fully expect Palworld 2:Silkrune, to take 10+ years to make.

I mean not really. Palworld isn't done. It's a relatively bare bones early access game. Better than some but it isn't remotely a finished game, people are just willing to excuse an Early Access game for being early access. They also worked on similar games before and were able to port parts of that over.