Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
So you'll gain much faster much earlier, and then slow down to closer to the normal rate, but probably slightly faster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Hey look, an actual roguelike was released!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2720010/Rogue_Fable_IV/

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

The game (and series) looks solid but boy they badly need more zazz on that title banner if they want more clicks/buys.

Depressing Box
Jun 27, 2010

Half-price sideshow.
Thanks to everyone who kept talking about Path of Achra (and the sale) I pushed past my fear that it'd be too complex/punishing, and, it's good!! Just got my first win:

Played it by ear until I noticed things that activated on dodge or scaled with speed, then managed to slap together a rough lighting/blood build that took off a few levels in and never let up.

I know it'll only get harder from here, but it feels like the basic rhythm finally clicked for me.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Depressing Box posted:

Thanks to everyone who kept talking about Path of Achra (and the sale) I pushed past my fear that it'd be too complex/punishing, and, it's good!! Just got my first win:

Played it by ear until I noticed things that activated on dodge or scaled with speed, then managed to slap together a rough lighting/blood build that took off a few levels in and never let up.

I know it'll only get harder from here, but it feels like the basic rhythm finally clicked for me.

I really like mubarizuns

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I call this the Teabag Build.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
I, too, grew tired of being perplexed by all the completely opaque discourse and bewildering screenshots of Achra and bought it. Game good; really scratches the same Rift Wizard "pore over skill trees for 10 minutes and ponder" itch.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

King of Bleh posted:

I, too, grew tired of being perplexed by all the completely opaque discourse and bewildering screenshots of Achra and bought it. Game good; really scratches the same Rift Wizard "pore over skill trees for 10 minutes and ponder" itch.

The dev posts in r/roguelikes sometimes and it's nice to see their perspective.

(This post was from a thread about Path of Achra being "tactically thin" https://www.reddit.com/r/roguelikes/comments/19e224e/thoughts_on_path_of_achra/kjd7drf/?context=3 )

Knowing the game was born out of "I want to play a DCSS MiBE but like rift wizard" tickles me.

Sir Wilson
Sep 17, 2007
Does anyone have any recommendations for a "chill" action roguelike that doesn't require twitch reflexes?
Sometimes I just want an semi-endless game that I can turn my brain off for

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Awesome! posted:

this thing just came out https://store.steampowered.com/app/2008510/Go_Mecha_Ball/

the demo was a real banger

I played the Game Pass version today and it's a ton of fun. Visually amazing and has a great flow. The whole pinball thing works super well.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Sir Wilson posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for a "chill" action roguelike that doesn't require twitch reflexes?
Vampire Survivors (xd)

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
I wish I could get into Rift Wizard but every time I bounce off it hard :(

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Path of achra, am I wrong to just never drop my cycle count?

Slowly trying to beat all the different achievements but it's getting very hard

Orv
May 4, 2011
First cycle is the ‘intended’ difficulty and higher cycles really only exist for bragging rights or masochism so do whatever, really

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Sir Wilson posted:

Sea of Survivors. It's kinda like Vampire Survivors, except you control a ship, ie .you can never stop, you're always sailing in some direction. The pace is slower than many other similar games, and although there's a lot of enemies as you progress in the game, it isn't a twitch fest ever.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

w00tmonger posted:

Same, though I should probably drop back down some cycles to get some achievements

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sir Wilson posted:

Jupiter Hell?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

w00tmonger posted:

just let it go until the game stops being fun, higher cycles have harder enemies but they're worth more exp so you can get builds online earlier. Basically high cycles are more strict about your build needing to be good, but you'll be able to put together whatever build you want within like the first 2-3 areas. If you want to gently caress around with less optimal builds, play low cycles, if you want to make some kind of hyperspecialized self-accelerating monstrosity that requires 50 skill points to get off the ground play high cycles.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Sir Wilson posted:

Check out Nova Drift. It may look like a bullet hell on the screenshots, but it's actually quite a chilled out game with limited amount of objects present on screen at any time. That is not to say it's easy, but the difficulty isn't really refex-based.

RubberBands Hurt
Dec 13, 2004

seriously, wtf
Dice Legacy is kinda actiony in a rtwp way

e: It's apparently 5bux on steam atm, including DLC

RubberBands Hurt fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jan 26, 2024

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

cock hero flux posted:

just let it go until the game stops being fun, higher cycles have harder enemies but they're worth more exp so you can get builds online earlier. Basically high cycles are more strict about your build needing to be good, but you'll be able to put together whatever build you want within like the first 2-3 areas. If you want to gently caress around with less optimal builds, play low cycles, if you want to make some kind of hyperspecialized self-accelerating monstrosity that requires 50 skill points to get off the ground play high cycles.

Ohhh I see, I assumed it meant meta progression xp.

Yeah I'm running dumb builds but consistently getting blown up before hitting the final stages. I'll pull back a little

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
Is there even any meta progression aside from unlocking the character options (which happens super fast and early)?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

an iksar marauder posted:

Is there even any meta progression aside from unlocking the character options (which happens super fast and early)?

no

i keep forgetting that achra even has metaprogression because you unlock everything automatically within like, a handful of runs anyway and any new option the dev adds just gets unlocked instantly as soon as you boot the game because your meta exp isn't capped at the current end of progression

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Actiony front continues to swell with glorious intrigues and spectacle----Into The Necrovale starts EA:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1717090/Into_the_Necrovale/

quote:

Into the Necrovale is an Action RPG in which you collect powerful items that interact with one another. You must be clever with your build if you hope to pierce the mysteries and dangers of the Necrovale, where a thousand generations of miscreants and criminals have been banished.

Your fate hangs in the balance as The Stranger, a condemned criminal chosen by the All-Father himself. Preserve this tired world or destroy it, and the choice is yours.

The hopeless, the lost, the drowned and forgotten, all must obey one rule: fight to survive. Generations of unwanted criminals and degenerates lurk in the dark corners of the Necrovale.

The Necrovale is filled with powerful relics left behind by those whose story ended in the depths. Collect these weapons, armor, shields, staffs, jewelry, totems, hats, books, and other tchotchkes as you follow in their footsteps.

Along your journey, you will meet other prisoners. The crimes and failures that brought them to the Necrovale are their own business. Reserve your judgement, however, as you might find yourself depending on these strange and broken creatures to survive.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Roseo posted:

Picked up LONESTAR (https://store.steampowered.com/app/2056210/LONESTAR/) on a lark and I've been having a lot of fun with it the last week or so. It's taken me a bit to get the hang of it. While there's a lot of possible combos that you can build off of to scale, there's a ton of available modules treasures and modifications available that can show up and it's really difficult to plan for anything coming along at all; you can only do the best with what you've got at any given time. Finishing the game is easy but getting an ship that can go through the optional 5 endgame power boss battles afterwards has been the real sticking point.

It's cheap, it's fun, and it's a very solid puzzle based roguelike. If you're curious about it, try it out.

I got this a day or two ago and really, really like it. Seems very replayable so far, with enough different mechanics and combos to make it interesting. There seem to only be a few player ships in the game so far but there are tons of unique ship ideas for enemies so I'm sure that they won't have a hard time adding more as the game develops.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Can't wait to hear people's impressions on Oblivion Override - dev didn't set regional pricing for my region so it's a bit of a tough sell considering all the good action roguelikes I already own but it's not THAT expensive if it's real good...

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Azran posted:

Can't wait to hear people's impressions on Oblivion Override - dev didn't set regional pricing for my region so it's a bit of a tough sell considering all the good action roguelikes I already own but it's not THAT expensive if it's real good...

It's solid, I wouldn't call it revolutionary

Into the Necrovale is pretty fun so far, need to play more to get a feel for it

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

how i jumped star

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Cerepol posted:

fast starjumper is hilarious, beat the game in 62 turns! Turns out teleporting every time you stand still makes it impossible for things to kill you at 50+ speed. They might take one divine intervention but they cant take em

thanks for the inspiration to go for a fast starjumper btw

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Transal Spear feels like it actually conflicts with an Astrohunting build; I assume the Master Teleport offsets it?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Captain Foo posted:

how i jumped star

i tried a normal starjumper build a bunch of times and kept dying so i made this horrible thing instead

it turns out that teleporting next to enemies isn't as risky if you're trying to die on purpose

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

cock hero flux posted:

i tried a normal starjumper build a bunch of times and kept dying so i made this horrible thing instead

it turns out that teleporting next to enemies isn't as risky if you're trying to die on purpose

This seems gross lol nice

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

SKULL.GIF posted:

Transal Spear feels like it actually conflicts with an Astrohunting build; I assume the Master Teleport offsets it?

I’d have to look back at it but it was to get some attack-based triggers in

It still mashed spacebar to win though it wasn’t particularly optimized, spent too many armor slots on buffing the gang even though they didn’t end up doing much offensively

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
My current problem in Achra is I keep throwing away winnable runs by looking at the forbidden zones, saying "those enemies would almost certainly instantly kill me on turn 2," and then going in anyway.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

King of Bleh posted:

My current problem in Achra is I keep throwing away winnable runs by looking at the forbidden zones, saying "those enemies would almost certainly instantly kill me on turn 2," and then going in anyway.

same

its just so tempting! i did at least stop doing it if they perfectly counter my build

i lost my ice only run at the final boss with under 20k hp, just didn't make it just the finish line

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Azran posted:

There's a free demo for you to try.

I played it for a bit and it was just Dead Cells but not as good.
Even the first level enemies are copy pasted from Dead Cells.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Man ADOM has all the normal gently caress-yous like encountering something you can't handle yet, and then its got some special ones. Something called an eye of annihilation or something like that grabbed my Heir gift, which I had equipped, and destroyed it instantly. I was still in the first few dungeons...

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Ok, I tried Path of Achra and it isn't for me. It's exactly the opposite of what I would like, lol. It's a roguelike so streamlined that it is basically a character build game. My fault, given that it was even in the description:

My ideal is more interesting moment to moment decision making and meaningful exploration. So... yeah.

Pity, I liked the implied setting.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Of course, this opens up the interesting question of, what would be the opposite of Path of Achra?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Turin Turambar posted:

Of course, this opens up the interesting question of, what would be the opposite of Path of Achra?

Brogue.