Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
It's weird, I don't remember having much trouble with spawns when I played through Quake a few years ago. I don't even know why, I do remember them, but I apparently had some way of dealing (playing on normal though).

Vores though? Them I had trouble with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Vores are interesting because when you become comfortable with bunny hopping they almost completely cease to be a threat in most situations. Building up speed with bunny hops puts more distance between you and the projectile and means there's much wider margin for error when it comes to getting caught on enemies etc. Even the extremely fast vanilla nightmare vore pods can be cancelled out just by making a quick circle jump and following up with a couple of hops around a tight corner. The incredibly slow movement speed of vores makes them act more like turrets, limiting the amount of space they can control and an easy target for drive by grenade and rocket spam. Copper tries to level the playing field by weakening the projectile tracking when the vore is killed, allowing for a player of any skill level to aggressively push into a vore's face to focus them down. So long you don't gently caress up too badly while the vore is alive, the projectiles won't be a problem. The moment the vore is dead, the projectiles just sort of wobble off in a wide orbit until they hit a nearby wall.

Learning how to move in Quake has a profound impact on how the game plays. Being able to make rapid dodges and escape from fast moving pressure monsters like spawns, fiends and shamblers lets you take big risks and play much more aggressively as the risk from overextending vanishes. Rapid repositioning also makes aiming easier, opens up more opportunities for efficient explosive ussage and makes dealing with the hated spawn far safer. Copper's new nightmare difficulty is quite cool because it increases the speed of the various knights, projectiles and enemy aggression significantly under the assumption that good players will be able to move fast.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
yeah I never did any of that I just quicksaved lol

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Sir Lemming posted:

yeah I never did any of that I just quicksaved lol

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Finished episode 3 of Quake and found it a lot more fun somehow. I think I might have been playing the game wrong to be honest, by which I mean that I was over-relying on the shotgun, which I'm used to being the go-to workhorse weapon for close range encounters, of which there are a lot in this game. But I think here it's just not very good. It's maybe why I said the enemies felt tanky, cause I kept expecting to kill them with a single shotgun blast. But it seems the shotgun is like the pistol in most other games - just your fallback starting weapon.

Joe Chill posted:

This makes your rocket launcher your workhorse weapon.

So I did this instead, yeah. It's counterintuitive sometimes cause there are so many corridors but yeah, this episode felt a lot more agreeable than the earlier two as a result. This also solved my annoyance with zombies because with the rocket launcher they actually stay down for good, which I hadn't yet figured out earlier.

Still not sure how much of the bonus content I'll do but at least I'm more interested now.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Shotgun sucks in Quake and even the super shotgun is not that good on higher difficulties. Rockets and super nail gun will carry you through.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The shotgun feeling bad is a failure of the game, not a failure of the player

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The shotgun in Quake is just a pistol by another name. No rhythm to it whatsoever. The space between shotgun blasts is the most important aspect of a satisfying shotgun.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

I should clarify that I was primarily using the super shotgun rather than the basic shotgun but like skasion said even that one sucks.

edit: wow episode 4 is loving trash. I hate this.

Sway Grunt fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jan 25, 2024

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Sometimes the important thing is the shots that aren’t being gunned

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
And yet I'd rather start with the quake shotgun than the q2 blaster

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

The basic shotgun's pretty okay for sniping if you don't want to waste nails.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Milo and POTUS posted:

That said I'd save my ire for something more substantial than ogres because wow you're gonna hate some of the enemies you'll come across soon

You were not wrong.

Fair to say I am not a Quakehead. I might still give some of the bonus episodes a go to see if the design there is more to my taste but I gotta desalinate a bit first... I really really disliked episode 4 and the final boss.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I always found Quake 1 shotguns pretty weak in the "feeling" part. Quake 2 shotguns feel much better. The bullpup shotgun isn't really strong but stunlocks well low tier enemies and the super shotgun is powerful and has an awesome metal sound that is pure joy to me. I use the quake 1 grenade bounce sound and Q2's super shotgun pump as notification sounds on my phone :haw:

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Sway Grunt posted:

You were not wrong.

Fair to say I am not a Quakehead. I might still give some of the bonus episodes a go to see if the design there is more to my taste but I gotta desalinate a bit first... I really really disliked episode 4 and the final boss.

You probably won't have your opinion changed by Scourge of Armagon and certainly not by Dissolution of Eternity, but the Machine games campaigns are very good.

Quake is funny because compared to the sprite based 2.5D games the demands on the hardware of 1996 made by a full 3D world populated by full 3D enemies meant they just couldn't have many in a map at a time, hence why the roster is so beefy compared to Doom to compensate. I actually kind of love the Ogre because its one of the most gently caress You default enemies I can think of in a game like this between having tons of health, making GBS threads grenades out all over the place, having a chainsaw to boot and frequently appearing in groups of 4 or more in tight areas, its certainly a far cry from Imps or Demons in Doom. Sadly the side effect is that weapons, especially shotguns, feel so much weaker, although I do think that an awareness of this was likely why they decided to add Quad Damage which has gone down as one of the most satisfying power ups in the history of videogames in part because you can really let loose and gib all of these troublesome assholes in one or two Super Shotgun blasts.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I like the idea of Quake--its atmosphere, I guess you could say. I like the fusing of tech and ancient eldritch horror. The bestiary is eclectic and original, with grimy soldiers and chainsaw-wielding ogres and shamblers and spawns, etc. I don't like the game very much on a mechanical level, but I think I'd be up for a new Quake game being released today.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I like the idea of Quake--its atmosphere, I guess you could say. I like the fusing of tech and ancient eldritch horror. The bestiary is eclectic and original, with grimy soldiers and chainsaw-wielding ogres and shamblers and spawns, etc. I don't like the game very much on a mechanical level, but I think I'd be up for a new Quake game being released today.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Quake 5: Those Dam Strogg Are Back At It

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I know this is basically where CotM went with it but a whole game predicated on the idea of the Strogg accidentally letting the Q1 horrors into their world and you're stuck in the middle would be amazing. Overall I think I just want a game where you're the lone hero stuck between two armies who are already destroying each other, your only advantage being situational. Letting the two forces fight between each other as much as possible to weaken them, sneaking past while they're distracted, taking advantage of the chaos. Maybe you don't have any explosives left and there are a horde of zombies shambling towards you. Time to lead them towards that room with a tank and 3 gunners you can't clear by yourself!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Both Machine Gun Games campaigns for Quake are fantastic, and the one for Quake 2 is so good it improves my opinion of Q2 significantly.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The hub world for that one new quake 1 campaign alone is shockingly beautiful for a game whose base game is 25 years old or so

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I don’t really like the first Machine Games Q1 expansion. Nowhere near enough ammo (especially rockets) for what you’re expected to fight. Second one is a big improvement

Best Quake fan content award has to go to Arcane Dimensions though, just for the Widowmaker which is the super shotgun Quake deserved.

Baron von Eevl posted:

Overall I think I just want a game where you're the lone hero stuck between two armies who are already destroying each other, your only advantage being situational. Letting the two forces fight between each other as much as possible to weaken them, sneaking past while they're distracted, taking advantage of the chaos.

This is one of the things I like most about the older Halo games, 1 and 2 both have a lot of interesting three way battles in the late game.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Think I'm taking a break from it after this but I finished my UV DE playthrough last night. Game is so cool but I do gotta take it off the burner and let it sit for a while so I don't burn out on it. Only problem with this is it's a massive DL for me and if I ever get the urge to play it that's a commitment to downloading that takes forever. Anyway, probably could have done it on NM being honest. Game really does a good job of progressing your skill through the difficulties and few things it throws at me felt beyond my ability. Massive trove of extra lives by the end point and I feel like I was missing probably a half dozen or so from the early stages. I can pinpoint the exact moment it starts to get hairy though and that's the second phase of the gladiator fight. Had gone deathless entirely to that point, but that fight's a bear. What's weird is I don't think a lot of people think it is which is crazy to me meanwhile I'm surprised people have such trouble with Marauders and the Khan Makyr, both of which I think I've gone deathless against in every difficulty so far, but I'd rather fight both than a possessed cyber mancubus, pain elementals up close or that god drat archvile, who I hate more than anything ever. I always sit on a sword pip so I can just beeline to him and solve that problem in a hurry, something you can't do in your first couple fights against him.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Milo and POTUS posted:

Think I'm taking a break from it after this but I finished my UV DE playthrough last night. Game is so cool but I do gotta take it off the burner and let it sit for a while so I don't burn out on it. Only problem with this is it's a massive DL for me and if I ever get the urge to play it that's a commitment to downloading that takes forever. Anyway, probably could have done it on NM being honest. Game really does a good job of progressing your skill through the difficulties and few things it throws at me felt beyond my ability. Massive trove of extra lives by the end point and I feel like I was missing probably a half dozen or so from the early stages. I can pinpoint the exact moment it starts to get hairy though and that's the second phase of the gladiator fight. Had gone deathless entirely to that point, but that fight's a bear. What's weird is I don't think a lot of people think it is which is crazy to me meanwhile I'm surprised people have such trouble with Marauders and the Khan Makyr, both of which I think I've gone deathless against in every difficulty so far, but I'd rather fight both than a possessed cyber mancubus, pain elementals up close or that god drat archvile, who I hate more than anything ever. I always sit on a sword pip so I can just beeline to him and solve that problem in a hurry, something you can't do in your first couple fights against him.

People are pretty terrible at conserving their super weapon ammo (BFG/Crucible), or when they should use them. Same with Chainsaw pips.
Marauders get bitched about because they destroy the previous combat flow (require a counter shot, can't just wail on them) - but I think it's a good thing to have some variety/enforce different skills.
I think people gently caress up the Khan Makyr because they see her as a flying ranged enemy, and thus requires a precision range-type attack; but it really is all about rushing her down.

If you've got a big stash of lives (there's 51 total) at the end of UV, go for a 100% NM run. It feels good!
(If you've got DLC1, don't start at NM - it's really a big loving jump in difficulty)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The first fight with an archvile in Doom Eternal is great because there is no intro or warning it will be there and then all the sudden your fight is going south in a hurry in ways you werent ready for.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Lost that fight both times on the lower difficulties :cool:

Honestly that level feels like one of the harder ones

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

People are pretty terrible at conserving their super weapon ammo (BFG/Crucible), or when they should use them. Same with Chainsaw pips.
Marauders get bitched about because they destroy the previous combat flow (require a counter shot, can't just wail on them) - but I think it's a good thing to have some variety/enforce different skills.
I think people gently caress up the Khan Makyr because they see her as a flying ranged enemy, and thus requires a precision range-type attack; but it really is all about rushing her down.

If you've got a big stash of lives (there's 51 total) at the end of UV, go for a 100% NM run. It feels good!
(If you've got DLC1, don't start at NM - it's really a big loving jump in difficulty)

I so rarely used the BFG lol. Hoarding ammo like it was an RPG potion. Truthfully it felt like they were more generous with it than the sword. And yeah, I wrapped the khan makyr fight up in probably under 2 minutes. Maybe even 90 seconds, lock on launcher and ballista and try not to damage yourself too much before you can get in range to hook her. It might be one of my more liked boss fights. Kept wasting ammo shooting at her while she was recovering from damage, feels bad man. I think I was at 39 lives at the end and that was with ≤5 deaths I'd say. What's weird is the Icon was a lot easier this time? I still died a few times but I was kinda hoping to wrap it up and was playing pretty reckless. I guess I just didn't let it build up a lot of heavy baddies like I did on lower difficulties but even then he seemed to pump them out faster there.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
I've really cottoned onto FinalDoomer + Gun Bonsai for tougher MegaWADs lately. I still haven't figured out how I like to adjust the EXP gain rates so I don't get too overpowered, but it still (mostly)† lets me play vanilla-ish to experience how the map was meant to be played, and all of the cool stuff without getting exhausted by my natural laziness.

† = yeah I have to disable a lot of the crowd control perks after I earn them because they absolutely break the poo poo out of some of the more overwhelming-in-a-fun-way encounters

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
The DE boss fights are on the whole better than the genre's usual offerings because you inevitably end up punching / ripping their head off with your bare hands. Just don't mention the DLC2 final boss.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

:sickos:

Thanks, ZOOBBAARR

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Nothing sells this product better than Alan Hunter vomiting all over himself upon pondering his ORB; some people just can't handle this kind of POWER

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
:orb:

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Y'know I don't have any further questions about why American McGee failed as a developer.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

LvK posted:

I've really cottoned onto FinalDoomer + Gun Bonsai for tougher MegaWADs lately. I still haven't figured out how I like to adjust the EXP gain rates so I don't get too overpowered, but it still (mostly)† lets me play vanilla-ish to experience how the map was meant to be played, and all of the cool stuff without getting exhausted by my natural laziness.

† = yeah I have to disable a lot of the crowd control perks after I earn them because they absolutely break the poo poo out of some of the more overwhelming-in-a-fun-way encounters

I keep dreaming about new updates to FinalDoomer

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Deakul posted:

Y'know I don't have any further questions about why American McGee failed as a developer.

yeah he's talking about throwing controllers into walls when we all know John Carmack removed all those :v:

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The real walls are in your mind.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

The plastic of a primitive mouse crunches beneath my feet; holding it by its cord, I had swung it into the ground like a flail, and its meager shell exploded spectacularly.

I wipe the barf from my lips with the back of my hand and laugh defiantly at the sky. The ORB has rendered all challenges trivial.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Finished Doom64 on the hardest difficulty. I didn't appreciate the penultimate stage's triple-cyberdemon, but the actual final boss was at least novel, with a good simple final level before it too. Solid levels all around I felt, especially in the back half? Only got one demon key as I didn't want to use any walkthroughs, so that's potentially a minor flaw against the game, but eh. Solid DOOM, would recommend.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
The spaceorb looks like those weirdo input devices for CAD programs that you use for a week and then go back to keyboard shortcuts.

On the topic of weird input devices, I had the displeasure of trying to use a friend's sidewinder dual strike in the late 90s. I think we tried to use it with UT99.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I’ve encountered the Space Orb twice.

One of my college friends collected weird hardware. Bow down peons, for I have played Descent with a 90s VR headset using a SpaceOrb :smug: … for about 5 minutes at a time because holy poo poo the eye strain

At the time I was like “oh cool, one of those old VR headsets.” It was less than a decade old :whitewater:

The second time was inexplicably at an art museum. No, it wasn’t the exhibit, but somebody had made an “interactive art gallery” with a lovely amateurish 3D engine and controlled with a SpaceOrb of all things.

At that point I was mostly surprised that the drat thing worked on Windows 7

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I have considered getting a custom control for a few mechanically technical games where the axial movement and strafe is controlled by a control stick like you'd find on a modern controller and obviously look is controlled by mouse but I also figured it'd be too impractical to use all the weapon key, + jump and slide and dash.