Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Now I realize why Ichiban can be so optimistic. He don’t have internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Ch3 It's like noon how the gently caress did no one notice the naked rear end man face down on the beach until now

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
I love my dumb puppy dog son Ichiban.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I skipped 7 because reviews said it was boiler plate JRPG combat and a little grindy and I picked up 8 because of the glowing reviews and this Ichiban guy is a cool dude

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
I've seen enough. The internet must die.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Lakbay posted:

I skipped 7 because reviews said it was boiler plate JRPG combat and a little grindy and I picked up 8 because of the glowing reviews and this Ichiban guy is a cool dude

You should go back to 7 because those reviews suck, hth

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I hit a man with a giant massage tool who then was knocked into Nanba who hit him with a broom which knocked him into an exploding barrel and he’s super dead now. GOTY.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Dewgy posted:

You should go back to 7 because those reviews suck, hth

I mean, it is boiler plate combat, and it does get grindy at points…

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Am I missing anything from Gaiden or is "Kiryu is a spy" about it?

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

Lakbay posted:

The reviews aren't wrong but imo 7 is extremely worth it regardless and is old enough now it goes on fairly deep discount regularly, I'd strongly advise grabbing it

e: I love how I'm in chapter 3 and so far (extremely minor spoiler) Nancy keeps poking her head up like once a chapter for no real reason and otherwise disappears into the ether, I love that Ichiban has been keeping her this whole time

woke kaczynski fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jan 27, 2024

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
The combat in 7 is fine but even fine is better than the fun to watch but frankly mediocre brawling of that which came before.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Gave a dog an onigiri and now we’re aloha friends goty

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

This dating app mini game is the horniest thing I’ve ever seen in a video game…

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Who keeps putting mangos in all these coconut palms

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

VanillaGorilla posted:

This dating app mini game is the horniest thing I’ve ever seen in a video game…

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Am I missing anything from Gaiden or is "Kiryu is a spy" about it?

The ending scene is justly praised, but the whole thing is interesting for being pretty short by being about the other side of the whole “firing all the yakuza before the government arrests us all” thing, making it feel less abrupt for the scale.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Lakbay posted:

I'd tell you to put down 8 and go play 7 now but well the intro and recap spoiled pretty much all the major plot beats of that game. Still, it follows on very directly from 7 so it's worth doing nonetheless. If for no other reason than 8's QoL stuff is going to feel rather painful to do without in 7.

Also the date stuff is kind of dumb and cringe but 8 seems to start off a fair bit quicker than 7 did, there's already some rather meaty plot happenings by the end of Chapter 1 whereas in 7 you're still deep in the past establishing various peoples' backstories at that point.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

woke kaczynski posted:

The reviews aren't wrong but imo 7 is extremely worth it regardless and is old enough now it goes on fairly deep discount regularly, I'd strongly advise grabbing it

e: I love how I'm in chapter 3 and so far (extremely minor spoiler) Nancy keeps poking her head up like once a chapter for no real reason and otherwise disappears into the ether, I love that Ichiban has been keeping her this whole time

Nancy being there the entire time but only appearing when Ichiban remembers her is probably my favorite joke in the game.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

yes sega, thank you for making shenmue loving canon in like a dragon

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Every Like A Dragon game that does not have Space Harrier forces my wrath

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

~HOT PIC!~

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
I’m gonna beat up Tataru AND her channel

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
Ichiban is a dumbass himbo angel and I love him.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Couldn't afford sake to progress the plot because I spent all my money trying to get a stuffed penguin out of a crane game. Time to beat some dudes up.

Baron
Nov 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
I know everybody is busy with 8 but i just finished Gaiden trying to get it done first and now i'm crying like a little bitch baby what the gently caress...

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

oh my GOD Ichiban no

The cringe!!!!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Carlosologist posted:

oh my GOD Ichiban no

The cringe!!!!

it is an expression of pain

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

the only hope is that it was her sister

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
The analysis with Adachi and Nanba at the burger joint the next day is even better.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I saw there was koi-koi in a loading screen and my vision went blurry

Where is the koi-koi I need to play koi-koi

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
In this game you play as an unusually large puppy named Kasuga Ichiban

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Paying2Lurk posted:

The analysis with Adachi and Nanba at the burger joint the next day is even better.

It’s Ichi’s fault for listening to those idiots but good lord that was so funny

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

I want a Masumi Awakawa prequel so badly now. Dude was absolutely a beast in his prime.

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.
I'm still pretty early in the game (just started hanging with Kiryu), but I'm getting a really bad feeling that Saeko isn't going to be relevant in the game as anything but a love interest - god please, someone who's further in the game just tell me I'm wrong. :(

Wizard Whateley
Apr 12, 2002

I am a bootlicking scab who loves seeing people be paid less than living wages. If the workers don't like it they should just kill themselves. Let me know who is organizing so I can report them to management. I pine for the days of the Pinkertons.
The fight theme in chapter 4 during the battle on the runway is the new cold-blooded of this game for me so far as bangers out of nowhere go. That whole segment was memorable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scx4MSegXZI is just from the ost, not footage of the fight.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

woke kaczynski posted:

Chapter 2 I thought it was kind of bullshit retconning Sawashiro being the killer but I immediately forgot all about that because jesus christ arakawa

Mustard Iceman posted:

I want a Masumi Awakawa prequel so badly now. Dude was absolutely a beast in his prime.

yeah at this point it's up there with a goda game

(ch2) the whole trying to get ichiban to stop him last game always felt a bit off so i can't say i mind the sawashiro retcon, but i also feel pretty confident assuming he's 90% full of poo poo. did i miss it or by the end of the chapter is there an explanation for him not being in jail beyond "ebina pulled some strings"?

stuker fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jan 27, 2024

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Eiji rules and is my friend.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

Vertigo Ambrosia posted:

I'm still pretty early in the game (just started hanging with Kiryu), but I'm getting a really bad feeling that Saeko isn't going to be relevant in the game as anything but a love interest - god please, someone who's further in the game just tell me I'm wrong. :(

I'm not much farther than you so I don't know unfortunately but I definitely agree with you, I really hope this plot point is resolved by whenever he ends up getting together with the Yokohama crew again. Tbh one of the very few things dragging the game down for me is whenever I'm reminded of Ichiban's creepy obsession with the friend he came on to way too hard who politely ghosted him for a year. He could easily just really regret ruining the friendship and wish that they could go back to the way things were before and it would be very relatable, instead he's telling people he can't sign up for a dating app because it's like cheating in his heart and suddenly I'm reminded of IRL dealing with a stalker. Ichiban pls :therapy:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
You know everyone is so unwilling to kill in these games its nice to see (early Chp2 spoilers)a straight-up murderer like Arakawa going absolutely beast mode on a bunch of yakuza and then torturing their boss to death even if it's almost totally superfluous to the actual plot going on lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

"My body sucks!"