Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Their every 10 year snowpocolypse is getting dull. Gonna spice it up with homes that randomly collapse under snow load.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

By law you have to hire an independent inspector who will monitor the build on your behalf here. And they have to be there during the build, not just at the end.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Jan 26, 2024

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

smh it's like you hate freedom or something

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Freedom is like garlic to a vampire for me :drac:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Texas doesn't even have licensing requirements for general contractors and builders because it gets in the way of freedom.

It has been proposed before and blocked in the legislature on that basis.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
I feel like even the worst case snow loads experienced by Texas when everyone's pipes are freezing and people are getting $9,000 electric bills would still not be as bad as a stiff breeze. I know an inch of snow weighs more than you'd think, but wind adds up pretty fast too.

I think that house will be lucky to survive until it snows.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Just curious, but is this entirely down to terrible contractors? Or is some of it from lovely building materials? And if it is lovely building materials, did the contractor just go with the cheapest of whatever he could salvage from local dumpsters, or are there quasi legitimate companies delivering lovely and/or defective building materials?

I get that lumber isn’t always perfectly true straight. Any trip to Home Depot reveals that pretty quick, and that contractors may have to deal with slight defects in materials. Just curious if building materials are getting all around worse like most other things.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Twerk from Home posted:

Well, this takes the cake from the sunken bathtub adventures: https://www.reddit.com/r/Construction/comments/19eiifp/were_out_of_state_and_our_contractor_cut_through/

They wanted a toilet, they got their house cut in half. This is apparently on an upper floor too, not ground floor.

I also like that the toilet will be in front of a floor to ceiling window

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Guy Axlerod posted:

I also like that the toilet will be in front of a floor to ceiling window

The op says the window is being removed

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Orvin posted:

Just curious, but is this entirely down to terrible contractors? Or is some of it from lovely building materials? And if it is lovely building materials, did the contractor just go with the cheapest of whatever he could salvage from local dumpsters, or are there quasi legitimate companies delivering lovely and/or defective building materials?

I get that lumber isn’t always perfectly true straight. Any trip to Home Depot reveals that pretty quick, and that contractors may have to deal with slight defects in materials. Just curious if building materials are getting all around worse like most other things.

Any contractor with two brain cells to rub together isn't going to create that monstrosity just because they got some wonky lumber.

I haven't heard much about materials getting worse, just more expensive. Any good trade is just going to be straight with you about it and give you the real cost. They don't want to have to do extra work cobbling together lovely material to do a half-assed job. It's literally more work to be this incompetent.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I know this is totally crazy, but hear me out. When you find crooked lumber at home depot, just don't buy it. Buy the straight lumber, where available.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

I imagine this is one of those times where the inspector is thinking "I may literally die just trying to inspect this place..."

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Nitrox posted:

I know this is totally crazy, but hear me out. When you find crooked lumber at home depot, just don't buy it. Buy the straight lumber, where available.

A competent general contractor knows which lumber supply houses are good at screening out poo poo product before delivering it, but the people running these builds only care about the lowest bid. The lumber those houses are being built with was ordered by the main office and delivered to the site before the crew arrived, so even if the crew cared there's no chance for the builders on-site to inspect the wood and reject poo poo.

Just take a look at the type of job site they keep to get an idea of how much "giving a gently caress" these homes are built with: https://maps.app.goo.gl/yTqSKx4mMWvMvaLN8

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jan 26, 2024

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Shifty Pony posted:

A competent general contractor knows which lumber supply houses are good at screening out poo poo product before delivering it, but the people running these builds only care about the lowest bid. The lumber those houses are being built with was ordered by the main office and delivered to the site before the crew arrived, so even if the crew cared there's no chance for the builders on-site to inspect the wood and reject poo poo.

Just take a look at the type of job site they keep to get an idea of how much "giving a gently caress" these homes are built with: https://maps.app.goo.gl/yTqSKx4mMWvMvaLN8

lmao at the lovely worksmanship plainly visible on the google maps photo, not to mention the mess. Check out the plywood already splitting/pulling away on that corner.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Sitting in your somehow $600k house across the street and seeing how the sausage is made seems frightening

er lol nm those are 1.2 million

moist turtleneck fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jan 26, 2024

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Nitrox posted:

It's like the animal shelter and if I don't take the damaged ones then who will??

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Bad Munki posted:

And that’s all on top of the fact that you’d have to live in Texas.

I want to be mad at you for this, but... yeah
:smith:

Orvin posted:

Nah. Most of that was just really bad measuring and cutting.

Nitrox posted:

Building contractors don't get to go to the store and pick and choose. Typically they order lumber and it comes to the job site in the big strapped-together stacks you see on the racks at the store, with the loving ski slope boards hidden in the middle.

e: f,b.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Saint Freak posted:

It's like the animal shelter and if I don't take the damaged ones then who will??

Mark my words that Home Depot gonna see this post and start putting googly eyes on wonky 2x4s to guilt people into buying em

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

moist turtleneck posted:

Sitting in your somehow $600k house across the street and seeing how the sausage is made seems frightening

er lol nm those are 1.2 million

My wife and I do ok. We are above the median income for most of the country. I cannot fathom spending that much on a house, much less these mini mcmansion monstrosities, let alone getting a loan for that amount. We paid $130k for our home and probably won't ever move because of housing prices. I have no loving idea how people are affording these things.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Darchangel posted:

I want to be mad at you for this, but... yeah
:smith:

On the plus side, any concerns about shoddy electrical work are largely alleviated by the loss of electrical service every time the weather is entirely typical for that area and season.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

skylined! posted:

My wife and I do ok. We are above the median income for most of the country. I cannot fathom spending that much on a house, much less these mini mcmansion monstrosities, let alone getting a loan for that amount. We paid $130k for our home and probably won't ever move because of housing prices. I have no loving idea how people are affording these things.

Most of the people buying these wastes of resources can't afford them, but banks will loan them money anyway

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

skylined! posted:

lol $130k free standing homes don't exist anymore in places people want to live

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
my dad was confused as to why I'd put piers on my home as opposed to just buying a newer home and it's like lol must be nice that he hasn't had to look at home prices in 40 years

moist turtleneck fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jan 26, 2024

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Home prices are inflated by about 100% and when the crash comes it will be apocalyptic.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

lol $130k free standing homes don't exist anymore in places people want to live

Want or are forced to for work. I mean I can't imagine wanting to live in any of these hellscapes posted.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

wiegieman posted:

Home prices are inflated by about 100% and when the crash comes it will be apocalyptic.

The only crash that's coming to places like that subdivision is the wife slamming her Porsche Cayenne into a landscaping truck on the way back from downing a bottle of wine over lunch with her fellow real estate agents. Her husband will be big mad about not being able to afford his eighth pair of custom cowboy boots in as many months since their relocation from Illinois, and will settle for putting a larger "Come and Take It!" decal on the back window of his King Ranch Edition F250.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Shifty Pony posted:

The only crash that's coming to places like that subdivision is the wife slamming her Porsche Cayenne into a landscaping truck on the way back from downing a bottle of wine over lunch with her fellow real estate agents. Her husband will be big mad about not being able to afford his eighth pair of custom cowboy boots in as many months since their relocation from Illinois, and will settle for putting a larger "Come and Take It!" decal on the back window of his King Ranch Edition F250.

Also, ocean acidification melting away the limestone bedrock under Florida is likely to affect real estate prices

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
that's easy though, just sell the house when the water gets too high

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Sure you've heard of oceanfront property, but this parcel is ocean side and ocean back property as well!

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Dr.Smasher posted:

Most of the people buying these wastes of resources can't afford them, but banks will loan them money anyway

Yeah the answer is debt. Mountains of debt.

Gwely Mernans
Jun 30, 2017
I'm so happy I was able to purchase a house when the market was low in 2017. 67k on a solid 3bed/1bath brick house built in 1926 so the build quality is great + it was renovated in the mid 2000s so the inside is fairly modern. It's so well insulated I often wake up during heavy thunderstorms in the summer and only realize when I look out the window.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Gwely Mernans posted:

I'm so happy I was able to purchase a house when the market was low in 2017. 67k on a solid 3bed/1bath brick house built in 1926 so the build quality is great + it was renovated in the mid 2000s so the inside is fairly modern. It's so well insulated I often wake up during heavy thunderstorms in the summer and only realize when I look out the window.

My kids got in on this in 2020. Juuuust made it. House is not nearly as nice a build as yours, but they paid $99K and it's now valued at $185K.

Gwely Mernans
Jun 30, 2017
Yeah it's definitely the best financial decision I've ever made. I'm locked in at $570/month when similar rentals in my area are $1000+ and only going higher. I don't have any investments besides my 401k so it's a nice safety net since I could sell it for 50k profit plus my equity if I ever need to.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Goddamn the housing prices you guys are throwing around are wild. Best you can hope for under $100k here is a parking spot. I am not joking. I don't know there were any properties under $150k here you could legally live in since the 90s.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

If you're willing to live with a 40 minute commute to a mid-sized city in the middle of the US, you too can buy a home for 67k (that was what my first house cost in 2017)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

shoeberto posted:

If you're willing to live with a 40 minute commute to a mid-sized city in the middle of the US, you too can buy a home for 67k (that was what my first house cost in 2017)

I'm pretty sure the value of the materials in that house exceeds the value of the house plus the land it's on.

Gwely Mernans
Jun 30, 2017
I live in medium sized city in the Midwest. It's honestly not nearly as bad as people from the coasts would have you believe. Plus all my friends and family live near me.

Gwely Mernans
Jun 30, 2017
I actually commute 30 minutes AWAY from the city lol. I'm like 10 minutes from downtown but still in the suburbs (old style suburbs with close lots, not the sprawling ones from the 90s-now)

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

Reading this thread from Canada is surreal sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I grew up north of Pittsburgh and it amazes me that there are million dollar new build townhouses there now.

Even more so because if you drive literally ten minutes past that million dollar townhouse, you can get a new build house with the same number of bedrooms and bathrooms for $300k.

Another 10 minutes and you're out in the woods where I lived and they're like $100k.