Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

smackfu posted:

The ones that have a mechanical timer are funny because the timer will run even if the air fryer is unplugged. Which can lead to real disappointment.

My wife does this like once a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Anne Whateley posted:

You can buy parchment paper air fryer liners. After that it’s basically just a hot wet paper towel. I still don’t like my air fryer because it doesn’t get hot enough to maillard or crisp, but at least it is easy to clean

The Ninja dual drawer one drawers are 1/8 the size of a "full" sheet pan. That means pre-cut Parchment sheets for half sheet pans, torn in 4, fit beautifully :science:

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
Can the air circulate properly with the parchment paper?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Not as good, but still better than most cookers. I usually only use it for reheating something messy like nachos (lunch today) or cinnamon sugar donuts (breakfast today) and don't feel like cleaning. I run the dishwasher twice a day, so 9/10 of the time I don't use Parchment.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I’ve lined aluminum foil in all my toaster ovens and air fryers. I honestly couldn’t imagine not doing so. One of my old air fryers got wicked gross when I tried to bake chicken wings in it without any lining.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Any thoughts on webstarant store for ordering basic pots? Like like Vigor has a decent price point, and I need a 1qt and 2qt saucepan

mystes
May 31, 2006

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Any thoughts on webstarant store for ordering basic pots? Like like Vigor has a decent price point, and I need a 1qt and 2qt saucepan
unless you're a business their shipping costs suck but if it somehow works out go for it

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

mystes posted:

unless you're a business their shipping costs suck but if it somehow works out go for it

Yeah, I hate them and I only buy things from them on the rare occasion that they have some piece of restaurant equipment that I can only get there.

They did some serious price gouging during the pandemic. Early in the pandemic I bought a cake cone dispenser (literally just a plastic tube with a mount), for $40. Reasonable price! When I wanted another one 3 months later, suddenly the price was $85.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Was about to clean my microwave and noticed the paint was peeling off. Is it time to get a new one or can I ignore this

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I don’t know if I’d chance radiation exposure, personally

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Microwaves are cheap. That looks kinda messed up and I’d probably just get a new one imo. That said I have no idea what’s the actual risk.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
There is literally no way to give yourself radiation poisoning or anything like that using a microwave oven, microwaves aren't that kind of radiation.

The paint is also just there to make it look pretty and so it's easier to clean. You can buy microwave paint to do touchup, so if you're worried about it that's an alternative to replacing the whole thing. I don't know how easy it would be to repair weird cracking like that, which looks like it's caused by an internal carousel. My main concern would be that whatever caused that to happen in the first place is just going to do the same thing to any repair work, but no way to tell without examining the oven itself.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Looks like paint is cracking off the roof too so I guess it’s time to replace. I don’t want paint chips raining on my food.

Anyone got recommendations on a 0.7 cubic foot 700 watt microwave or are they all going to be the same?

mystes
May 31, 2006

SubG posted:

There is literally no way to give yourself radiation poisoning or anything like that using a microwave oven, microwaves aren't that kind of radiation.
If you opened a big hole in the screen you could theoretically blind yourself though

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

Looks like paint is cracking off the roof too so I guess it’s time to replace. I don’t want paint chips raining on my food.

Anyone got recommendations on a 0.7 cubic foot 700 watt microwave or are they all going to be the same?

We had a conversation about this recently but it maybe was in the home thread. Seems like a lot of us myself included like our 'panasonic genius' variants.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Is this the thread to ask about a plain ol' toaster? Because god help me I cannot find a toaster under $100 that can do bagels and isn't a complete piece of garbage, please help, my bagels are dying :( Seriously though, it's astonishing how much worse the lower-end toasters have gotten in the last 10 years, and I could really use a recommendation for an affordable one.

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Kestral posted:

Is this the thread to ask about a plain ol' toaster? Because god help me I cannot find a toaster under $100 that can do bagels and isn't a complete piece of garbage, please help, my bagels are dying :( Seriously though, it's astonishing how much worse the lower-end toasters have gotten in the last 10 years, and I could really use a recommendation for an affordable one.

Do you have a toaster oven? You could just use that.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Kestral posted:

https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-toaster/

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

I've got that Cuisinart they recommend and I was going to say that the Bagel button does nothing at all except make the cycle longer and learned from it that's apparently on purpose? Huh. It does toast well but if you want a toaster that does different heat on different sides of the bagel you might want a different one.

Of course, it's cheap enough that it's worth a try anyway, probably.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

A real toaster is significantly better at toasting than any of the "nice" toaster ovens. Physics says so:

The Inverse Square Law defines the relationship of radiant energy between an IR source and its object – that the intensity per unit area varies in inverse proportion to the square of that distance.

Meaning you won't get browning on the exterior of a bread before the interior of the bread dries out because of the lack of intensity of heating allowing for the moisture to travel to from the interior to the exterior of the bread. Even a cheap 400w toaster will out perform a 1500 watt breville handily.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I like the ones with two long slots rather than four short ones. I've had an Oster for years, and it looks like they still make it.

It's not spectacular or anything, but it toasts reliably and that format was really hard to find at the time.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Sextro posted:

A real toaster is significantly better at toasting than any of the "nice" toaster ovens. Physics says so:

The Inverse Square Law defines the relationship of radiant energy between an IR source and its object – that the intensity per unit area varies in inverse proportion to the square of that distance.

Meaning you won't get browning on the exterior of a bread before the interior of the bread dries out because of the lack of intensity of heating allowing for the moisture to travel to from the interior to the exterior of the bread. Even a cheap 400w toaster will out perform a 1500 watt breville handily.

Yeah, I recently got a Breville and was looking forward to reclaiming a bit of counter space by ditching our toaster. Sadly, it kinda sucks at actually making toast. Not impressed at all.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

I for about 10 years I used a full chrome art deco toaster that I got at an antique store for $20 that was built like a loving tank. I wouldn’t recommend that unless you want to rewire it to add a ground and roll the dice on lead exposure, though. That’s why I eventually got rid of it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I bought a used Dualit toaster off ebay for like $90. Big tank of a toaster will fit bagel halves and is designed with replacement parts in mind so imo worth the cost to be able to keep running indefinitely. It looks pretty good and it gets used almost daily for the last six years without incident.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Mom wants to get one of these Hisense upright freezers. It says frost free, is that the same as saying it has a defrost function? Any other thoughts about whether this is a good buy?

https://www.costco.com/hisense-13.6-cu.-ft.-garage-ready-upright-freezer.product.4000204845.html

mystes
May 31, 2006

Doesn't it make more sense to get a chest freezer as a separate freezer you're going to use for longer term storage?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Is that because the orientation makes it more efficient?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Upright freezer > chest freezer. Digging stuff out that's buried at the bottom of a chest freezer really sucks, and I'm looking forward to replacing ours.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

effika posted:

I've got that Cuisinart they recommend and I was going to say that the Bagel button does nothing at all except make the cycle longer and learned from it that's apparently on purpose? Huh. It does toast well but if you want a toaster that does different heat on different sides of the bagel you might want a different one.

This is actually the toaster that made me make that post. I was baffled by this bagel function decision, which in my testing has simply annihilated the bagel every time unless you're standing by it and carefully canceling the toast function periodically.

And yeah, toaster ovens are great, but sadly are not good at making actual toast, and mine at least will 100% of the time turn the edge of a bagel into charcoal well before the flat surface has been properly toasted. Why? :iiam:

mystes
May 31, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

Is that because the orientation makes it more efficient?
Yeah

Enos Cabell posted:

Upright freezer > chest freezer. Digging stuff out that's buried at the bottom of a chest freezer really sucks, and I'm looking forward to replacing ours.
Are you talking about the one in your refrigerator or a second one? Because I think chest freezers suck for your main freezer, because they're annoying for stuff isn't already fully frozen and sealed well, but for a second freezer that you're using for long term storage of stuff that's sealed well they work quite well.

I guess it depends how you use it though. If you don't vacuum seal stuff a chest freezer might be harder to use.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

For longer term storage I think the ones without auto defrost have an advantage. The auto defrost cycle will circulate warm air to get rid of frost and therefore mess with the surface of frozen foods.

The trade off is you gotta defrost them manually like every year-ish.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

We have a stand-up freezer that has a defrost function (or is "frost free") and it works just fine. We keep mostly meat in it. Preferred that to a chest freezer just so it was easier to keep track of stuff. I put bins in it to help keep stuff organized and to better utilize the space.

This is what we have. Love it, no complaints. https://www.geappliances.com/appliance/GE-ENERGY-STAR-14-1-Cu-Ft-Frost-Free-Garage-Ready-Upright-Freezer-FUF14DLRWW

GordonComstock
Oct 9, 2012
There’s probably horror stories for every brand, but our Hisense fridge had defective plastic that turned yellow and became brittle in less than two years. Took months for them to agree it was both under warranty and a manufacturers defect. I had to threaten legal action and sent maybe 40 photos, calling twice a week for updates. Then it broke completely days before we were set to return it. Again anecdotally, but I’ll certainly never buy one again.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

effika posted:

I have a cuisinart "Costco exclusive" and it sucks. It makes toast fine. It's bagel function is what i want, that is, the outside portion heats with half the elements and inside is normal elements, so warm outer, toasted inner. But it sucks. Why? Well, it's "digital" and sometimes won't stop toasting because it isn't a mechanical timer, so if you aren't paying attention to force the handle up, it burns. The "stop toasting" button doesn't work when that happens. Also, it will randomly change to "single" "english muffin" setting between uses.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

torgeaux posted:

I have a cuisinart "Costco exclusive" and it sucks. It makes toast fine. It's bagel function is what i want, that is, the outside portion heats with half the elements and inside is normal elements, so warm outer, toasted inner. But it sucks. Why? Well, it's "digital" and sometimes won't stop toasting because it isn't a mechanical timer, so if you aren't paying attention to force the handle up, it burns. The "stop toasting" button doesn't work when that happens. Also, it will randomly change to "single" "english muffin" setting between uses.

Adding "toasters" to the list of things to never buy a non-mechanical version of. Yikes.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

I have this Breville 4-slice long-slot toaster and I'm pretty happy with it. Does everything I need, including a "bagel" option that means only the centre elements are on.

The "a bit more" feature is handy and the linear dial slider thingy for how done you want your toast operates on an actual timer as far as I can tell.

https://www.breville.com/ca/en/products/toasters/bta730.html/1000

My only (smallish) issue with it is that the elements inexplicably go behind a thin metal sheet in the middle of each long slot, so if you actually do have long bread slices (or say, pitas or something) then they don't get toasted as thoroughly in a vertical strip down the centre.

Still, for the price, it seems decent to me. I've had it a few years now and it's worked fine the whole time.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

WhatEvil posted:

I have this Breville 4-slice long-slot toaster and I'm pretty happy with it. Does everything I need, including a "bagel" option that means only the centre elements are on.

The "a bit more" feature is handy and the linear dial slider thingy for how done you want your toast operates on an actual timer as far as I can tell.

https://www.breville.com/ca/en/products/toasters/bta730.html/1000

My only (smallish) issue with it is that the elements inexplicably go behind a thin metal sheet in the middle of each long slot, so if you actually do have long bread slices (or say, pitas or something) then they don't get toasted as thoroughly in a vertical strip down the centre.

Still, for the price, it seems decent to me. I've had it a few years now and it's worked fine the whole time.

Think of it as a bikini tan

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7330017027928706346

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Why is she cutting the onion like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU