Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

ArmedZombie posted:

in a 100 million years new bacteria will evolve and this will all be broken back down into crude oil and then in another 100 million years intelligent life will have evolved to the point where it can be exploited and the cycle will begin anew.

Stop being a downer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

my bad

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
whether or not you view that as a downer is on you

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
one day this all will repeat
i sure hope they make something useful
out of me

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I hope I get made into a ziploc bag and then tossed in a landfill with all my other million year old homies.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Carthag Tuek posted:

is it the epipen? i think a danish company (novo nordisk?) has or had a patent on that and literally boosted our entire economy by several percent. shits gonna gt hosed

Carthag Tuek posted:

is it the epipen? i think a danish company (novo nordisk?) has or had a patent on that and literally boosted our entire economy by several percent. shits gonna gt hosed

it's called penipen. it was actually introduced may 2016; i misreported the approval date of the most recent drug manual as the introduction date.

according to this paper,

• epipen became widespread in the USA in the mid 90s
  • penepin was designed in Turkey and is distinct from epipen
  • notably, penepin has an additional step in the safety mechanism
  • more than a third of parents fail at least one step in the application procedure
  • penepin takes people a little longer
  • the most common failed step in the procedure with both injectors was the part where you're supposed to hear a *click* when you jam it into the muscle and pull the trigger
  • the safety for epipen is simply a blue cap that you pull, for penipen there are two steps where you pull and twist

oh here's the company that makes it for some extra capitalism:
Vem Pharmaceutical Workers: "As the Boss Profits, We Get Poorer"

www.evrensel.net posted:

## Vem Pharmaceutical Workers: "As the Boss Profits, We Get Poorer. We Couldn't Make Ends Meet with the Money We Received. Everything Has Normalized, the Boss is Building a New Factory but Our Situation Has Gotten Worse," They Said.

While the bosses continue to grow with new investments, workers have to struggle with the cost of living. Vem Pharmaceuticals, which manufactures in Çerkezköy Organized Industrial Zone, is establishing a new factory in the Muratlı district of Tekirdağ. Workers at Vem Pharmaceuticals, where a large majority work for minimum wage, are concerned about how to make ends meet due to the price increases in basic consumer goods and bills.

### "THEY GROW ON THE BACK OF OUR LABOR"

Vem Pharmaceuticals, employing around 1000 workers including white-collar staff, has the Ministry of Health as its biggest customer. Vem Pharmaceuticals, which has no problem in selling its products, grows every year. Now constructing a larger factory in the Muratlı district, Vem Pharmaceuticals is breaking records in production and profit annually. A worker who has been with Vem Pharmaceuticals for 6 years says, “The factory grew every year. The place in Çerkezköy is no longer sufficient for new machines. A bigger factory is being built. The owner of Vem Pharmaceuticals is growing on the back of our labor. They are building factories with what they don’t give us.”

During the pandemic, the factory, which operated in two shifts for 12 hours each, has switched to three shifts since summer. Production never slowed down in the factory where many workers caught COVID-19. A worker, mentioning they had to work 12 hours due to COVID-19 cases and close contacts, says, “We didn’t even have time to scratch our heads. As the boss profited, we got poorer. We couldn’t make ends meet with the money we received. Everything has normalized, the boss is building a new factory but our situation has worsened. Even though I am single, the money I get is not enough. I can’t afford things I want.”

### WORKERS MUST SUPPORT EACH OTHER

A worker who sees all problems originating from the current government says, “AKP always protects the rich. Their taxes are forgiven. Everything is incredibly expensive. If they govern this country, they are responsible. But it won’t work without workers uniting. In our factory, everyone is isolated. There’s the AdkoTurk strike right next to us. We are indifferent to that too. Instead of support, people talk about how they have been able to continue for so long. There’s no one saying let's help, let's support. Workers should support each other.”

The worker, who sees the working conditions, the cost of living, and impoverishment as a result of AKP government’s policies, says, “First and foremost, this government must go. Of course, everything might not improve if it goes. But it would be better than today. We need to look into it. But the real solution comes from workers and the public coming together.”

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Shame Boy posted:

I assume that's more just a side effect of their already massive natural gas extraction rather than a deliberate helium mine but good for them anyway.

Also I only realized this recently but even though helium that gets released into the atmosphere eventually escapes into space, it takes long enough (and nuclear decay is constantly producing a diffuse new supply everywhere on earth all the time) that the concentration in the atmosphere is... not unreasonably low, it's around ~5.3 PPM. For comparison xenon is 0.086 PPM and we still extract that in industrial quantities so the helium shortage is probably more of a "it's just going to get way more expensive" kinda thing than a "literally all physics and medicine stops functioning" kinda thing at least.

The Russian mega helium mine came online in 2021 after something like 5 years of construction and $15 billion cost.

Semiconductor fabs and helium mines are going to end up having insane influence on the global economy in the next 20 years.

It's possible that single plant will be the source of up to 30% of the worlds helium, maybe more.

pentyne has issued a correction as of 20:25 on Jan 26, 2024

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Shame Boy posted:

Every ton of crude oil that gets turned into single-use plastic and then buried forever in a landfill is a ton that would otherwise with 99% certainty have been burned as fuel and wind up in the atmosphere, makes u think

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7149890572176674091

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

out of me

The carbon you turn into will be burned as fuel to generate electricity which will be used to trade an NFT.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

pentyne posted:

The Russian mega helium mine came online in 2021 after something like 5 years of construction and $15 billion cost.

Semiconductor fabs and helium mines are going to end up having insane influence on the global economy in the next 20 years.

It's possible that single plant will be the source of up to 30% of the worlds helium, maybe more.

Time to nuke russia. We can not allow a helium gap.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

pentyne posted:

I just looked it up and Gazprom did it and it's not a "helium mine" they're just adding the ability to separate helium from their existing natural gas streams, which is what I meant by a byproduct of natural gas production. Because until now if your natural gas had helium in it we mostly just didn't even bother separating it unless it had so much helium it was trivially easy and therefore profitable to do so.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Also Qatar just found a bunch of helium under a mattress somewhere recently too, good for them

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

just eat a little bit of peanut until you can do it without getting puffy and red, or bee if you're allergic to bee, and then keep upping the amount you eat until you're not allergic anymore

be the king mithridates of pre-k

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Orange Devil posted:

The carbon you turn into will be burned as fuel to generate electricity which will be used to trade an NFT.

May we all be so blessed

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I turned myself into an NFT of a pickle morty

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Helium has been strategic for a long time and we should stop selling our stockpiles. FDR cut off American helium supplies to Nazi Germany, forcing them to use hydrogen in their dirigibles, which is why the Hindenburg went boom

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Helium has been strategic for a long time and we should stop selling our stockpiles. FDR cut off American helium supplies to Nazi Germany, forcing them to use hydrogen in their dirigibles, which is why the Hindenburg went boom

Everyone used hydrogen then though. Building a helium airship with 1930's technology just really wasn't all that practical.

e: Bill Hammond gets into it in his video on R.101:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixxXhZVFXxQ

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
The beautiful thing with the hollowing and marketization of all of this infrastructure is the blame gets difused.

It's been a 20 year project and each admin can point the finger to bad planning and bad execution the next or previous folks did and kick the can down the road
The same thing happened with all of the strategic pandemic response reserves, PHMSA regs and HAZMAT spills, and the 21st century US Moon and Mars missions.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Coolness Averted posted:

The beautiful thing with the hollowing and marketization of all of this infrastructure is the blame gets difused.

It's been a 20 year project and each admin can point the finger to bad planning and bad execution the next or previous folks did and kick the can down the road
The same thing happened with all of the strategic pandemic response reserves, PHMSA regs and HAZMAT spills, and the 21st century US Moon and Mars missions.

Don't forget yucca mountain, which we actually even managed to finish building but we can't use it because shut up

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Shame Boy posted:

Don't forget yucca mountain, which we actually even managed to finish building but we can't use it because shut up

Oh geeze, I actually completely forgot about Yucca Mountain, I hadn't thought about it since the bad Godzilla movie

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Shame Boy posted:

This is not a place of honor. We just kind of built it for whatever reason. We didn’t actually put anything inside. Feel free to look around

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Coolness Averted posted:

I just found out recently that NYC has been trying to build a new water main since 1954 to service the other two water mains that have been in continuous use since their construction in the 1910s and 1930s. Pretty cool

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Shame Boy posted:

free paul_soccer

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

I just found out recently that NYC has been trying to build a new water main since 1954 to service the other two water mains that have been in continuous use since their construction in the 1910s and 1930s. Pretty cool

yeah work continues!
when its done there wont be any more danger of losing all water in queens if tunnel 2 malfunctions!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

just eat a little bit of peanut until you can do it without getting puffy and red, or bee if you're allergic to bee, and then keep upping the amount you eat until you're not allergic anymore

apparently bee stings make your dong bigger too.

is something i heard in a meme

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

out of me

Personally I hope they make something awful out of me

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Shame Boy posted:

Everyone used hydrogen then though. Building a helium airship with 1930's technology just really wasn't all that practical.

e: Bill Hammond gets into it in his video on R.101:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixxXhZVFXxQ

Hindenburg was originally designed to use helium specifically in response to poo poo like R-101, and the US Navy operated a bunch of helium airships in the 1930s.

Helium solves the flammability problem but not the other major issue facing airships: they're neither strong enough to weather storms nor fast enough to reliably avoid them.

Edit: they are cool as hell though, especially the flying aircraft carriers the USN fielded:

GotLag has issued a correction as of 07:53 on Jan 27, 2024

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
crimson skies owned

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
kirov reporting for duty

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Crimson skies definitely owned

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

Shame Boy posted:

I assume that's more just a side effect of their already massive natural gas extraction rather than a deliberate helium mine but good for them anyway.

Also I only realized this recently but even though helium that gets released into the atmosphere eventually escapes into space, it takes long enough (and nuclear decay is constantly producing a diffuse new supply everywhere on earth all the time) that the concentration in the atmosphere is... not unreasonably low, it's around ~5.3 PPM. For comparison xenon is 0.086 PPM and we still extract that in industrial quantities so the helium shortage is probably more of a "it's just going to get way more expensive" kinda thing than a "literally all physics and medicine stops functioning" kinda thing at least.

Neon/xenon are mostly from a couple of air separations plants from the former USSR

Also, unrelated, but did the SRNL archivists help you out with your book research?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Joey Steel posted:

Also, unrelated, but did the SRNL archivists help you out with your book research?

Been a bit busy with life stuff and kinda had to put that on the backburner, I still have a note to contact em' whenever I get back around to that though.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Joey Steel posted:

Neon/xenon are mostly from a couple of air separations plants from the former USSR
apparently so
Russia's Invasion of Ukraine Impacts Gas Markets Critical to Chip Production | Perspectives on Innovation | CSIS

www.csis.org posted:

Recent Russian offensive operations along the Black Sea coast have forced at least two of the three major Ukrainian air-separation firms (Cryoin and Ingas) to shutter their operations in Odesa and Mariupol, halting a significant portion of the world’s noble gas exports. Ukraine is the world’s largest supplier of noble gases including neon, krypton, and xenon. Globally, Ukraine supplies about 70% of the world’s neon gas and 40% of the global krypton supply. Moreover, Ukraine supplies 90% of the highly purified, semiconductor-grade neon for chip production used by U.S. industry. China, Japan, and South Africa are among the other major suppliers of neon.

Gas mixtures that include neon, krypton, and xenon power lasers are used in photolithography, the process of etching circuits into silicon wafers. A prolonged interruption in the supply of neon and other noble gases will therefore disrupt the production of semiconductors—a critical platform technology—when current stockpiles are depleted. An interruption in the supply of noble gases will further disrupt the production of semiconductor-embedded high-technology goods, including automobiles. Volkswagen notably closed two of its factories in Germany for several days following the launch of the invasion.

Rare Gases (Krypton, Neon, Xenon): Impact assessment for supply security

publications.jrc.ec.europa.eu posted:

Russia and Ukraine are significant sources of rare gases (krypton, neon, xenon). Russia's invasion of Ukraine affects the rare gases supply. Industry stockpiles can mitigate the impacts in the short term. The supply disruption might be severe with associated price inflation until production capacity is developed elsewhere combined with conservation/recycling/substitution strategies to handle shortages. As Ukraine is a leading producer of purified neon gas, a critical input for the manufacture of semiconductors, neon’s supply disruption poses the greatest challenges. A neon scarcity worldwide could substantially impact industrial supply chains reliant on semiconductors.
you think they'd try to start making these gases elsewhere

mawarannahr has issued a correction as of 01:41 on Jan 29, 2024

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

mawarannahr posted:

apparently so
Russia's Invasion of Ukraine Impacts Gas Markets Critical to Chip Production | Perspectives on Innovation | CSIS

url=https://publications.jrc.ec.europa.eu/repository/handle/JRC130349]Rare Gases (Krypton, Neon, Xenon): Impact assessment for supply security[/url]

you think they'd try to start making these gases elsewhere

that sounds unprofitable. can i buy noble gas separation offsets on an exchange instead?

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

The setup of those things, as I have been told, is that their upfront costs are runiously expensive, most of the people knowledgeable about their construction are old as balls, and that it is near impossible to get it up and running without govenment backing.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Joey Steel posted:

The setup of those things, as I have been told, is that their upfront costs are runiously expensive, most of the people knowledgeable about their construction are old as balls, and that it is near impossible to get it up and running without govenment backing.

it looks like some company has built a place in Germany
Linde Inaugurates One of the World’s Largest Plants for Krypton, Xenon Production

www.process-worldwide.com posted:

Located in Leuna, Germany, Linde’s new complex will be used for production and filling of the noble gases – krypton and xenon. The project was inaugurated by the German Minister President of Saxony-Anhalt, Dr. Reiner Haseloff.

Leuna/Germany – Linde has expanded its production capacity for krypton and xenon at its largest industrial gases production site in Leuna, Germany. The new complex for the production and filling of these noble gases is the most advanced of its kind and one of the largest in the world. It was officially opened on January 19 in the presence of Saxony-Anhalt’s Minister President Dr. Reiner Haseloff, Dr. Mathias Kranz, Vice President Onsite & Bulk Germany at Linde and Dr. Christof Günther, Managing Director Infraleuna.

Accounting for an extremely small share of ambient air, the noble gases krypton (Kr) and xenon (Xe) have unique chemical and physical properties that are used in highly specialized applications. In addition to their function as shielding gases for welding, the electronics and aerospace industries in particular rely on ultrahigh-purity noble gases. As chip manufacturing expands in Europe, demand is expected to increase.

“With this investment, Linde is consolidating European noble gas production at the Leuna site,” said Dr. Mathias Kranz at the official opening.

Wolfgang Dornow, Director of Noble Gases Linde, explained that the plant complex is a milestone in the supply chain for high-tech customers both inside and outside Europe: “With the construction of this plant, Linde is setting new standards worldwide for quality and security of supply which will benefit our customers.”

The new plant already started operation at the end of 2022.

Linde already produced a raw gas mixture enriched with krypton and xenon in Leuna, but the refinement of the gases was carried out at other sites. The new facilities include an additional separation plant which increases the capacity for this primary product, while at the same time enabling processing of the two noble gases in a high-purity form on site, by combining further separation and purification stages. The pure gases produced are now filled directly into various pressurised gas cylinder containers for transport.

Leuna was the preferred location for the new plant due to its excellent transportation links at the heart of Germany and Europe, as well as the extensive experience available for the operation of highly specialized facilities. In addition, Linde is able to exploit synergy effects with existing plants that the company operates at the same location. This means that not only are experienced personnel available for on-site operation and maintenance, but also Linde’s Remote Operation Centre (ROC), which is networked throughout Europe.

guess they revived all the old Nazi scientists

Linde plc

en.m.wikipedia.org posted:

Linde plc is a global multinational chemical company founded in Germany and, since 2018, domiciled in Ireland and headquartered in the United Kingdom. Linde is the world's largest industrial gas company by market share and revenue. It serves customers in the healthcare, petroleum refining, manufacturing, food, beverage carbonation, fiber-optics, steel making, aerospace, material handling equipment (MHE), chemicals, electronics and water treatment industries.[1] The company's primary business is the manufacturing and distribution of atmospheric gases, including oxygen, nitrogen, argon, rare gases, and process gases, including carbon dioxide, helium, hydrogen, ammonia, electronic gases, specialty gases, and acetylene.

In the years of Nazi Germany, Linde AG benefited from the country's attempt to become self-sufficient by refraining from imports of synthetic fuel and rubber. In 1935, general manager Friedrich Linde received the title of Wehrwirtschaftsführer, which underlined the national importance of Linde AG and allowed the company to further benefit from the German rearmament.[11]

Before and during World War II, all departments of Linde AG were in some way involved in the armaments production: The Heylandt-Gesellschaft für Apparatebau supplied the German rocket program, other branches produced welding equipment and engines for the armaments industry.[11] In 1941, Linde manufactured oxygen and helium installations for IG Farben at the Auschwitz concentration camp. Three further planned installations were not installed due to the course of war.[11]   According to estimates of the company for mid-1944, between 400 and 500 people were used as forced labourers in production plants.[11] The company claimed that 75% of its production facilities were destroyed during the war.[11]

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Joey Steel posted:

Lol I guess neon and krypton gases are lost technology now. God I love living in capitalist future

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

Just let me frob some dang bits already

aw frig aw dang it posted:

yep. 3 sets of peanut pieces to failure, 3x/week. gotta put in the work

Don't skip legume day

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
I don't mean to alarm you guys as well, but I am currently trying to engage in a bit of capitalism and I am shocked, shocked I tell you that having the lowest price on something with all other things being equal does in fact not mean you can succeed if large businesses work together to make you nearly invisible by giving themselves a leg up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbus
May 18, 2004

ArmedZombie posted:

in a 100 million years new bacteria will evolve and this will all be broken back down into crude oil and then in another 100 million years intelligent life will have evolved to the point where it can be exploited and the cycle will begin anew.

Don't be silly.

The oil burned by intelligent life 200 million years from now will come from all the dead biomass buried during the climate apocalypse caused the oil we burned. That's the real cycle.
https://www.cambridge.org/core/serv...ical-record.pdf

quote:

An intriguing hypothesis presents itself should any of the initial releases of light carbon described above indeed be related to a prior industrial civilization. As discussed in the section ‘Cretaceous and Jurassic ocean anoxic events’, these releases often triggered episodes of ocean anoxia (via increased nutrient supply) causing a massive burial of organic matter, which eventually became source strata for further fossil fuels. Thus, the prior industrial activity would have actually given rise to the potential for future industry via their own demise. Large-scale anoxia, in effect, might provide a self-limiting but self-perpetuating feedback of industry on the planet.