Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Knormal posted:

Being a waiter on the Enterprise would be waiting for roughly the same 1,000 people repeatedly, with some occasional crew turnover. And they nearly all have a superior officer you can file a complaint with. You wouldn't have to deal with random assholes wandering in like you would in, say, Joseph Sisko's restaurant.

Joesph Sisko....what are you doing at that war briefing 200 years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Easily Ferengi for worst tippers.

The Ferengi are probably amazing tippers because they're actually using it as a bribe to get preferential treatment.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Bajorans look like they're good tippers but they just leave tracts about how you should pay less attention to profits and more attention to the prophets

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Ferengi are opportunistic entrepreneurs. When the waiter shows up you negotiate the level of service and amount of the tip.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Ferengi are opportunistic entrepreneurs. When the waiter shows up you negotiate the level of service and amount of the tip.

I like that. It's at once in keeping with the Ferengi hyper-capitalism and yet somehow less bad than the system we have here.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The Federation are absolutely lovely tippers.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Soval: "I learned a technique for this situation during my time on earth. Observe:"

*puts five one dollar bills on the table and snaps at the server"

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Sash! posted:

The Ferengi are probably amazing tippers because they're actually using it as a bribe to get preferential treatment.

Good point.

I'd also peg Cardassians as terrible tippers because most (maybe not Garak) seem like they'd be extremely stingy with their latinum.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

The Federation are absolutely lovely tippers.

Europeans visiting North America often are!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Good point.

I'd also peg Cardassians as terrible tippers because most (maybe not Garak) seem like they'd be extremely stingy with their latinum.

They'd never shut the absolute gently caress up about how much better the service was on Cardassia and how there it was an honor to tip for the privilege of being served by the best who ever lived.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Tunicate posted:

Bajorans look like they're good tippers but they just leave tracts about how you should pay less attention to profits and more attention to the prophets

:hmmyes:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Knormal posted:

Being a waiter on the Enterprise would be waiting for roughly the same 1,000 people repeatedly, with some occasional crew turnover. And they nearly all have a superior officer you can file a complaint with. You wouldn't have to deal with random assholes wandering in like you would in, say, Joseph Sisko's restaurant.

The servers at Sisko's don't need to deal with that poo poo either because they can (presumably) just leave or tell the customer to gently caress off. There's no real economic reason for the restaurant to exist or for you to be waiting tables there, so the dynamic behind those interactions in the real world doesn't exist.

If you want to take Star Trek's post-scarcity society as described by the show and not as shown on screen, then it's basically impossible for us as modern viewers to understand anything about these social dynamics. It's like how there was a time not too long ago when department store retail could be a shockingly highly paid and desirable job, but that's basically unimaginable now outside of super high-end boutique retailers. Sisko's waiters are hobbyists, and that's just some crazy poo poo.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Plus a show is easier to film in a restaurant if you have waiters played by humans instead of having to ask the props department to build you a half dozen table-waiting robots.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Star Trek has always been weird about robots f some reason

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

The reason is the budget.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Up until recently the star trek way seemed to be more 'table that cleans itself' rather than 'robot that cleans the table'. Or, at best, there'd just be a blue beam that shoots out of somewhere and does it.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Sash! posted:

The way I see it is that by the time of the show, they're either obsolete or a liability. Anything a basic robot can do a force field or a replicator can manage. Anything complex and you're risking creating a sentient robot and all of the moral quandaries inherent in creating a thinking being solely for the purpose of performing labor. I mean, sure, you CAN create a robot that can go into an active warp core chamber to perform complex and delicate repairs, but what do you do when it decides one day that it has rights? Or that it's pissed that it has been a slave for as long as it's been sentient and is now going to detonate your warp core? And even if you do manage to deal with the problem for that particular robot, any other robot of similar complexity could also become sentient. Data gets around that problem because he wasn't created to be labor, he was created to be a living, thinking being, and then given a choice on what he wanted to do with his existence. No one's going to build a whole series of thinking robots where only one in ten thousand decides to get into warp engineering, while 50% decide to just sit around plugged into the wall watching Ferengi holo novels.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

MikeJF posted:

Up until recently the star trek way seemed to be more 'table that cleans itself' rather than 'robot that cleans the table'.

In which case... is the table not, itself, the robot? [bong rip]

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Come to think of it Quark did have those holographic waiters, they just didn't work out so well. Maybe making a reliable autonomous waiter is some kind of long sought after holy grail of engineering.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
Star citizen has spent years and millions of dollars trying to solve that problem.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
Humans would be a mix of people who forget to tip at all, people who tip the exact percentage listed in the Federation travel guide and no more, people who casually leave a couple bars of latinum as a tip on a cup of coffee because they don’t feel like taking cash home, and people pretending to be the first group to get away with not tipping unless they’re called on it

DavidCameronsPig
Jun 23, 2023

Sash! posted:

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Grand Fromage posted:

In which case... is the table not, itself, the robot? [bong rip]

Yes, it is.

That's what I mean about robots. Not elaborate self aware androids and stuff, but basic robotics that we already have, right now, in the real world.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Sash! posted:

Yes, it is.

That's what I mean about robots. Not elaborate self aware androids and stuff, but basic robotics that we already have, right now, in the real world.

There are lots of those kinds of robots, they're just invisible most of the time.

that reads like I'm making a joke, but I'm not. The table that transports/replicates food in and dirty dishes out doesn't look like a machine except when it's actively doing it's thing. Doors that only open when you want to go in them are definitely robots, but they just look like doors. Most of the dumb robots in star trek are don't read as robots.

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Yeah when I say "robot waiters" I mean like an ExoComp with a tray on it.

Edit: and it can replicate a pepper grinder

And that goes back to the "oh gently caress, now our drilling rig wants rights" thing.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jan 27, 2024

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Yeah when I say "robot waiters" I mean like an ExoComp with a tray on it.

Edit: and it can replicate a pepper grinder

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLCxAJdCZGg
love this video lol

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

It would make sense if they had like remote-operation robots for the super-radioactive areas of the ship, but those would cost money except on Lower Decks

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Nessus posted:

It would make sense if they had like remote-operation robots for the super-radioactive areas of the ship

:awesomelon: "Ship... out of danger?"
:geno: "Yes."
:awesomelon: "Don't grieve, Admiral. The needs of the many outw---"
:geno: "Yeah, yeah, shut up." *Fills out requisition form for a new robot*

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Its like you people didn't watch the exocomp episode.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I've begun season 7 of Voyager. I've almost made it.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Atlas Hugged posted:

I've begun season 7 of Voyager. I've almost made it.

are you sure?

it's been a long road, getting from there to here

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nessus posted:

It would make sense if they had like remote-operation robots for the super-radioactive areas of the ship

like some kind of interface probe

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The novelization of TWoK actually mentions Scotty burning out several repair robots trying to get the mains back online.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Arivia posted:

are you sure?

it's been a long road, getting from there to here

I still maintain that ENT's decent-to-good batting average is at least as high as VOY's, if not a little better.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

After recently rewatching ENT after VOY, I don't think that show's best episodes ever hit the height of VOY's best.

Like for example, ENT doesn't have an episode that gets anywhere close to the quality of something like 'Living Witness'

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Every time someone here says something weirdly positive about ENT, I wonder if this thread is actually a secret plot to make me feel like I've lost my mind.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I like Enterprise better than Voyager also. I don't think there's high points in Voyager at all

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
There's always the Paramount logo and fanfare

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Ran into some fun stuff this weekend at an arcade.

First, Star Trek Pinball, 1978.

TMP uniforms on the back glass and the refit Enterprise. Note the guy shooting a ball of energy (more on that later). Lieutenant Ilia is on a few plastic pieces of the deck as is a ridged Klingon, also confirming TMP.

But what's this, the TOS Enterprise on the play deck?

Starfleet's famous weapon, the Phaser Photon. But what is this? That guy has a TOS uniform on.

Let's not forget how they get around, hyperspace (there was another spot that mentioned warp though).

So what's going on here (aside from the hyperspace thing)? I looked it up and apparently this machine started life as a TOS machine. However, early in the development it was apparent that TMP was going to be a thing and they did new back glass to reflect the movie uniforms and Enterprise (as well as swapped some plastics to include Illia and the Klingon). The guy shooting the ball of energy was originally shooting a humanoid, but paramount objected to depictions of someone being killed to it was changed to an energy being. I also find it kind of funny that the degredation/bad printing of the Enterprise silhouette make the nacelles look like the Sovereign Class.

They also had this.

Star Trek Strategic Operations Simulator from 1983.

Vector graphics. There was a weighted spinner that rotated the ship and 4 buttons (phasers, photon torpedoes, thrust, and warp.) You got a top down view of the area which showed where the Klingon ships and starbase were and first person veiwscreen view to aim. So you had to evade the shots by the Klingons while moving around to destroy them. Photon torpedoes were ranged weapons but limited. You ran into the starbase to fix shields and replenish torpedoes. There was a sign on the machine that said they only ran it on the weekends to maintain stability. It also had a semi-synthesized voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

bull3964 posted:

Ran into some fun stuff this weekend at an arcade.

First, Star Trek Pinball, 1978.

TMP uniforms on the back glass and the refit Enterprise. Note the guy shooting a ball of energy (more on that later). Lieutenant Ilia is on a few plastic pieces of the deck as is a ridged Klingon, also confirming TMP.

That is Phase II concept art.