Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RubberBands Hurt
Dec 13, 2004

seriously, wtf

Turin Turambar posted:

Of course, this opens up the interesting question of, what would be the opposite of Path of Achra?

Tametsi, CoD, One Finger Death Punch, Into the Breach?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

RubberBands Hurt posted:

Tametsi, CoD, One Finger Death Punch, Into the Breach?

Still in the roguelike genre of course...

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Turin Turambar posted:

Of course, this opens up the interesting question of, what would be the opposite of Path of Achra?

I’d vote Shiren. No character builds at all, big focus on moment to moment gameplay and items with unique effects rather than bigger numbers, and most of your strength comes from consumable items so you can’t get an op combo and fall in a rut.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

Forays into Norrendrin, The Ground Gives Way, etc

In other news, a wild ADOM/Hack'ish project appears---wielding the terrifying powers of JRE no less~ The First Hero v0.1 Public Demo

https://bigsagebeast.itch.io/the-first-hero

quote:

The First Hero is a classic roguelike - a turn-based dungeon crawler, only rendered with simple tiles instead of ASCII characters. Dungeons are procedurally generated, and item appearances are randomized, meaning they must be identified fresh each game. If you're familiar with Nethack, ADOM, or Caves of Qud, the gameplay should be very familiar.

There is an integrated tutorial to walk through basic gameplay, and tips that pop up whenever you change dungeon levels that introduce further concepts. When in doubt, you can press Enter to bring up a command list. Note that Numlock isn't well-supported, and it's recommended to play without it.

At present, the screen can be resized with some graphical glitches, and the main display can be zoomed with the mouse wheel. Making the window narrower is not recommended. There's not currently any support for resizing the text.

What it's about

The First Hero tells the story of the newly-revived God of Heroes who is trying to reclaim their power. You interact with a new pantheon that's taken over, and send your avatar through world portals that take you to stories somewhere inside the multiverse where you can regain some of your lost essence.

Along the way, you'll side with one faction of new gods against another, deal with your brother Nemesis who has uncertain motives, and eventually use your mortal form to kill a god in their home realm. Stories are designed to be short compared to most roguelikes, and often completable in one sitting. There are optional metaprogression elements - all quests can be completed without equipping the essence you gain from prior quests, but it might be difficult! (Metaprogression is not impemented in the demo.)

The First Hero features spells and weapon techs based on elemental charges: draw water charges from a river to cast your water spells, cast them freely when near the source, and hoard them to use at the right time when you can't easily recharge them.

Each weapon scales differently based on your stats: a rapier grows stronger as your dexterity grows, an arming sword is fairly balanced, and a maul rewards raw strength. Armor features both defense and thickness; if a weapon's penetration is too low for the armor thickness it's striking, it suffers an extra penalty to hit.

What's included in the demo

At present, version 0.1 contains one story with a fixed setting: you're going into goblin-infested dungeons to slay the goblin leader. Future versions will vary the adventure's setting substantially. The demo has a tutorial, some other deities that can be interacted with to get some story, and a fully completable first quest that you can win.

The first story should be winnable in about 20-30 minutes, and players who are experienced with roguelikes may expect to win by their third attempt, depending on chosen race and archetype. This first quest is intended to be fairly forgiving.

Saving and loading are not implemented at the moment. They didn't make the cut for this release, and shouldn't be necessary for one playthrough. Large parts of the UI are rough.

Look at items ('l' on the ground, or 'i' when in your inventory) to learn more about what they do. Collect gold for fun! Shops aren't implemented yet.

Author's notes:

This is my first released indie game, and at present it represents about three months of work. I've been working in the software industry for twenty years, but all of my career has been large-scale live-service projects. This is the first time my name has landed on a "Credits" page.

RubberBands Hurt
Dec 13, 2004

seriously, wtf

Turin Turambar posted:

Still in the roguelike genre of course...

Ahh, yes, which gameplay features make these run-based games not Roguelikes to you? :smug:

e: Golden Krone Hotel has almost no gear or build concerns beyond starting class(which is closer to a difficulty/mutator selection) and which potions/spells to prioritize. It's a great candidate for a "chill" roguelike as well, as there's not much context to recall between sessions other than maybe your overall route.

RubberBands Hurt fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jan 27, 2024

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Turin Turambar posted:

A game all about moment-to-moment decisions, with intense tactical difficulty, a small number of consumable items to deal with and enemies to face, ASCII art, an abstract and simple setting...

How about Rogue? :v:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

nrook posted:

A game all about moment-to-moment decisions, with intense tactical difficulty, a small number of consumable items to deal with and enemies to face, ASCII art, an abstract and simple setting...

How about Rogue? :v:

this is way funnier to me than it should be

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Turin Turambar posted:

Turin Turambar posted:

My ideal is more interesting moment to moment decision making and meaningful exploration. So... yeah.

UnReal World and C:DDA seems to me about as diametrically opposed as you can get while still being in the roguelike realm.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Sil and Cogmind are probably up there as well.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Achra absolutely has tactical decisions it's just that they don't come up often. And, unfortunately, when you realize you're actually in one, you're probably now dead.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Sil and Cogmind are probably up there as well.

Goddamn man. I've not played this Path of Achra game yet, but if we're listing all the really loving awesome RLs as counterexamples to it's doctrine, that's kinda harsh.

(jk I can sympathize with wanting a MiFi^Rift, it's a cute idea for a game)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
to be clear i haven't played Path of Achra either (although I probably will based on the comparisons to Rift Wizard), I'm just thinking of roguelikes that put an extremely high premium on turn-by-turn decisions

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

It's not really a "counterexample", it's just trying to do something completely different.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
A roguelike with intense moment to moment decisionmaking, no impact of gear/equipment, and lots of consumable use? Easy, Rift Wizard.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Just compromise by playing a roguelike that has intense moment-to-moment decision-making, but is also heavily dependent on acquiring/using good gear and assembling a good build.

Like Incursion :q:

Joke edit: alternatively, if you want a roguelike where a single misstep can kill you but there's not really any such thing as a "build" as far as character creation goes, why not try IVAN?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I can't believe Rift Wizard 2 got delayed to March, I've been intensely looking forward to it. I think the addition of equipment is gonna transform the game (for the better), especially combined with a lot of the incremental spell upgrades being moved into lower tiers of gear.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

this game scratches my brain real good, ive put 16 hours in since getting it cause it really hits that one more turn/build/attempt button.

Geistform is bonkers tho

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Am I wrong that player positioning seems really important in Achra? Running up to a firing squad of ranged enemies is suicide in a lot of cases, and controlling LOS is by far the simplest way to counter that.

Blindly spamming tab is an extremely risky playstyle

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Magitek posted:

Am I wrong that player positioning seems really important in Achra? Running up to a firing squad of ranged enemies is suicide in a lot of cases, and controlling LOS is by far the simplest way to counter that.

Blindly spamming tab is an extremely risky playstyle

it is, which is why stand still builds are so funny, just move to corner if you start in a bad area then hit tab

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Azran posted:

Can't wait to hear people's impressions on Oblivion Override - dev didn't set regional pricing for my region so it's a bit of a tough sell considering all the good action roguelikes I already own but it's not THAT expensive if it's real good...
I've played it for about six hours which from what I can tell from the achievements means I've faced all the bosses at 0 ascension. It was a fun six hours but I'm reserving judgement because I don't know how the difficulty scaling is going to work - general map navigation is very chill and so far the enemies and bosses aren't very hard (after dying on them once or twice). The focus on battle rooms is a big improvement over Dead Cells and picking upgrades is really fun but there are a few that I seem to want every run (+dmg to bosses, +atk to nearby enemies) regardless of synergies. There are a TON of weapons, like 20+, and I think the game would be improved by letting you hold two weapons and swap them. There's a huge amount of metaprogression, like 20+ to fill it out, which mostly isn't as annoying as it sounds (besides death's defiance being one of the last upgrades... again).

The combat itself is really good you can diagonally dash in mid-air but you get so many iframes from dashing (with a very low cooldown) and your hitbox is so big that combat mostly becomes about timing your dashes. Which is something I enjoy but is something to be aware of.

I can't wholeheartedly recommend it until I see how the difficulty increases feel, but I'll put at least 15 hours into it.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Is there any logic to how stuff unlocks in Achra? I have about half of cultures and gods now, but only 3 classes, is it just totally random?

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

grate deceiver posted:

Is there any logic to how stuff unlocks in Achra? I have about half of cultures and gods now, but only 3 classes, is it just totally random?

seems to be entirely random, i assume its to prevent choice paralysis from seeing all the options at once when you boot it up for the first time, its unlocks them pretty quickly

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

It's actually kind of funny, the opposite of Achra is the more traditional roguelike, or more specifically rogue. All about the decisions, literally not meaningful character development decisions

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I finally managed a PoA win without any healing equipment or skills

Granted, I had to be the culture that periodically gains protection, but let me be proud, drat it.

EDIT
I guess my God, technically, gave me the ability to heal.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jan 27, 2024

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Got a Cycle 5 stand-still-tank build going since one of my friends mentioned he was trying to get a clear with that build.

Roast everything to death, heal from dealing fire damage, trigger death damage from being healed, then enemies dying triggered even more fire/death damage, then I get healed even more on deaths (triggering previous clauses). Each turn took like 1 second even on fast mode. The Null Cuirass was to make sure I couldn't get teleported out of my hidey-hole.

Also gently caress Gold Demons. I had multiple close calls with them.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Finished storm strength 10 in Wildfrost with the 'true' ending

I absolutely love this game, it's just absurdly charming and encourages you to break it the same way as Monster Train

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

SKULL.GIF posted:

I can't believe Rift Wizard 2 got delayed to March, I've been intensely looking forward to it. I think the addition of equipment is gonna transform the game (for the better), especially combined with a lot of the incremental spell upgrades being moved into lower tiers of gear.

Rift Wizard is one of the only games I have 100%ed despite some of the challenges being truly hideous. I trust the dev to make it good. they are also a former / lapsed goon

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
I couldn't 100% rift wizard because some challenges I just do not enjoy, but it's an incredibly good game

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
On the more frenetic front compared to the likes of Gunfire Reborn and RoboQuest----Dimensional Slaughter has a Sigma 7.0 update:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2086060/view/3953665275854297071

quote:

Main changes:
Added a new Dimension
Added 2 master levels
Added a midway checkpoint through the game, so you don't always have to restart from the begining.
Added a new weapon
Added multiple new enemies
Added new upgrades such as a dash
Added slo-mo
Added double jumps
Revolver has a new alt fire
Redid Sandsteel Shotgun's normal fire
Gave Guttersnipe a new alt
Finally Hired a real VA for Habil, Hatim Baqer
Improved wallrun/jump physics
Improved enemy AI
Added a ledge clamber
Redid a lot of UI

The rest:
A plethora of bug fixes
Redid the Cancer track yet again
Redid a lot of VFX
New cactus
Was unable to give @naoranorana from the discord server a bigger mousepad
Stomp velocity now increases over time
Grapple radius is bigger
Increased step height
Added a new "painterly filter"
Added an option to go back to the OG Manliestdev-voiced grunts

RubberBands Hurt
Dec 13, 2004

seriously, wtf

Serephina posted:

Goddamn man. I've not played this Path of Achra game yet, but if we're listing all the really loving awesome RLs as counterexamples to it's doctrine, that's kinda harsh.

This is just one axis of the Roguelike continuum, quality is another.

RubberBands Hurt
Dec 13, 2004

seriously, wtf

an iksar marauder posted:

I couldn't 100% rift wizard because some challenges I just do not enjoy, but it's an incredibly good game

I played a half dozen levels in and then got flooded out by some spawners a few too many times. And much like Into the Breach, as soon as my ADHD brain declared it mostly deterministic, all the dopamine drained out at the effort invested in domain knowledge.

But I love the game and can't wait to play the second one.

(I do like other deterministic puzzle games however, like Tametsi, mentioned previously :shrug:)

Path of Achra feels like builds can be played a bit more loose, maybe it's just being able to see all the skills in one screen, combined with the 3 school limit that helps carve out more of a skill tree than "take what ya want whenever out of this very interesting list that takes a long time to read".

I have enough interesting things that I'm not reading to play this game already, thanks.

I like the dynamic of leveling a skill vs purchasing another, the levels are typically strong upgrades.

Not posting a third time, but need to call out Dredmor for fun build tinkering. I spent several days min maxing some multiple move skill omni damage type and other bs build I can't recall, but put the game down sometime a bit past halfway through when I was staring down a dimensional vault with dozens of piles of useful stuff that I had to sort through every few levels.

RubberBands Hurt fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jan 28, 2024

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

RubberBands Hurt posted:

I played a half dozen levels in and then got flooded out by some spawners a few too many times. And much like Into the Breach, as soon as my ADHD brain declared it mostly deterministic, all the dopamine drained out at the effort invested in domain knowledge.

But I love the game and can't wait to play the second one.

Sounds like you've not really gotten to the fun bits of Rift Wizard, so may I offer some tips?

-For the first couple of levels you can nuke each monster individually, but as you noticed if there's nine spawners each putting a creature every ninth turn, that means you're rooted in place 'wasting' turns casting spells. The whole drift of Rift Wizard is to get a build up and running where the chaff gets cleared out for you, either through some sort of semi-self-sustaining engine, or perhaps amazing cascading triggers where one nuke flattens the entire level, maybe some passives that nuke stuff as you walk around, etc.
-So yea, about rift six or so you've had 15+ orbs to buy stuff, which is enough to have SOME sort of half-assembled synergy. If you are trying to whack every mole personally you are doing it wrong.
-As a placeholder, early game purchases of an Orbs of Foo spell can clear a lot of chaff as you physically walk towards the last few spawners; similarly Nightmare Aura with a few upgrades will carry you to rift 10 by itself, and there's zero obligation to commit further to these skills.
-Look up someone else's internet build and use the above skills to buy you enough space to assemble their combo at your leisure. A combo that really get the 'point' through is Ice man: Icicle with the upgrade that gives you infinite casts of it, then the two expensive ice passives that do horrible stuff to people every time a mouse farts; one that freezes a random guy per cast, and one that nukes two nearby enemies when someone thaws out for whatever reason, including death. There are no shortage of other strong combos, but I like how this one really demonstrates the evolution of a simple synergy into something that can cheese entire levels with a cantrip spell.
-Midgame is handling the holes in your build rather than trying to 'win more', e.g. finding ways to deal with elemental immunities, or maybe a level full of ranged attackers who return fire as you nuke them. Etc etc.

RubberBands Hurt
Dec 13, 2004

seriously, wtf

Serephina posted:

Sounds like you've not really gotten to the fun bits of Rift Wizard, so may I offer some tips?

Thanks! My last few playthroughs were some of the challenge modes (puppies) to limit some analysis paralysis, but they're still challenges, which is fine. I tend to play games until I lose a few times and then cycle back later.

But the extra in-run variety of gear in the sequel sounds great for smaller scale build decisions, combined with the shrines, which for some reason weren't quite enough for me on their own. I played a moderate amount of Buriedbornes, but not much of the sequel yet - and the mid run gear and skill upgrades w/ minimal inventories (somewhat like Astronarch&Achra) are one of its more interesting mechanics imo.

Jupiter Hell is my current comfort roguelike, got a couple wins, and started poking at the challenge modes. It's great to take breaks, every time I go back all the perks get better and there's a bit more content everywhere.

RubberBands Hurt fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jan 28, 2024

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

ExiledTinkerer posted:

On the more frenetic front compared to the likes of Gunfire Reborn and RoboQuest----Dimensional Slaughter has a Sigma 7.0 update:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/2086060/view/3953665275854297071

"Added a midway checkpoint through the game, so you don't always have to restart from the begining."

Strange decision for a roguelite!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I was reading the summary for "aeruta", which has perhaps the most forgettable name ever. I had to double check the spelling even after reading about it anyways

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2286780/Aeruta/

Looks like general gameplay is Dave the Diver but it's a dungeon full of pastry monsters instead of a blue hole full of fish, and you manage a bakery instead of a sushi shop. And different visual style of course.

Is there a term for this exact style of "slay on Sunday, sell on Monday" type rougelike pattern? Surely Dave the Diver wasn't the first.

Cult of the Lamb kinda is like this but it's more of a city builder/animal crossing instead of running a business so I'm not sure if I'd include it in this grouping.

Edit: apparently Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale would fit into this category, came out in 2010

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jan 28, 2024

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Goblin race in Path of Archa rules

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

verbal enema posted:

Goblin race in Path of Archa rules

I have fun with them, but I have yet to get a win with one. I'm still progressing through cycles. I don't know if I'll ever backtrack a cycle or back down to cycle 1. I haven't honestly noticed certain skills falling off, but at the same time, I've put more and more stock into what I'm comfortable with, which appears to be Herja.

I think my favorite clan is probably the Ihra or Brud, because I'm a soft baby-man. My favorite class is definitely the Abdi. I haven't made a decision on religion.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i got so drat close to a win on my first path of achra run yesterday. had a warrior dude with fire and bleed on hit/attack stuff and the prayer that gives you the stackable heal on hit buff. i was an absolute monster right up until the last boss. got him to like half hp before he blasted me with astral damage.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Veryslightlymad posted:

I have fun with them, but I have yet to get a win with one. I'm still progressing through cycles. I don't know if I'll ever backtrack a cycle or back down to cycle 1. I haven't honestly noticed certain skills falling off, but at the same time, I've put more and more stock into what I'm comfortable with, which appears to be Herja.

I think my favorite clan is probably the Ihra or Brud, because I'm a soft baby-man. My favorite class is definitely the Abdi. I haven't made a decision on religion.

most skills continue to be useful to take through to the highest cycle but a lot of them do not scale at all and are not worth putting more than one point into. All the skills where the only benefit to multiple ranks is that you get more flat damage aren't worth sinking extra points into. You often need to take them for their basic effects anyway, so a lot of high cycle builds end up with a bunch of rank 1 skills and then like, a rank 20 skill because it's the only part of the build that actually scales.

as far as gods go, I've settled into Eris and Humbaba being basically the default choices and I only take other gods if there's some very specific synergy I need them for. Divine Protection is one of the most important defences on high cycles, so I find myself basically never actually using prayers. As a result the main considerations for a god are how good are their passive effects, and how fast can you recharge a prayer after it's been used for protection. Eris has the best passive effects by far, and Humbaba's prayers recharge the fastest, so they're the easy choices.

cock hero flux fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jan 28, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I'm utterly convinced that the Baalus is the most dangerous enemy in the game, but not because of what he is, because he summons Red Imps.

Red Imps are a terrible design choice for later cycles. they get +Accuracy a cycle, gain immolate and avoid armor and block. They're basically gods. 6 red imps is more dangerous than the King of Many Colors.