Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
i forgot what 200 megahurts looked like so i youtubed it, mild PTSD response was my reward. i don't think i played it too smartishly the first time through so it ended up being worse than it needed to be. wild peeking and shooting trying to take out clusters of Art Vandelays, reloading endlessly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Brolander posted:

i forgot what 200 megahurts looked like so i youtubed it, mild PTSD response was my reward. i don't think i played it too smartishly the first time through so it ended up being worse than it needed to be. wild peeking and shooting trying to take out clusters of Art Vandelays, reloading endlessly

there are invulnerability spheres so you don't have to play so careful. there are tons of them!!!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah it seems like an insane map but it's actually basically a safari ride

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Arivia posted:

there are invulnerability spheres so you don't have to play so careful. there are tons of them!!!

mmhmm yeah... nevertheless, I still remember being stuck at at least one part because I didn't have one I could get to without getting fried from a window. Because I didn't play the map intelligently with my brain. I think it was early on in my custom mapset discovery phase, i remember having real trouble with several maps. I should try again but there's so much new poo poo...

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
the brilliance of 200 megahurts is that the architecture of the map is designed really well. good sight lines, interesting progression with multiple paths through the level, lots of interconnected secrets. and then the actual contents are, uh, what they are. it's like using a finely machined rifle as a club

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
actually i think that was literally the map where i decided i needed to learn about how the bfg actually worked lol. fairly sure i was still using it like a Super Rocket Launcher

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I think 200 Mega Hurts was the first map I decided I didn't need to even try to kill everything. That's a lot of murder even on HMP.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Brolander posted:

actually i think that was literally the map where i decided i needed to learn about how the bfg actually worked lol. fairly sure i was still using it like a Super Rocket Launcher

Yeah I thought it was tactfully set up so you could vaporize entire groups practically standing still.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Brolander posted:

Yeah unless you really get into the guts of how the BFG is programmed and learn to love those invisible tracers you're gonna have a hard time on a lot of modern / slaughter-lite maps. Even now I mostly just copy the movement techniques from decino or Coin.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I should probably learn how the BFG actually works beyond a vague understanding that it's based on what the player can actually see after you fire. This may have been the cause of some of my issues

Also the hell maps definitely aren't as good as what came before but agreed that map26 kicked rear end

koren
Sep 7, 2003

You fire the big ball from the gun and when the ball impacts, the tracers will emanate from the player's current position half a second later in a cone. The angle the tracers come out at is the same angle you fired the ball. Once you get a feel for the timing it becomes very natural feeling.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Takes No Damage posted:

Yeah unless you really get into the guts of how the BFG is programmed and learn to love those invisible tracers you're gonna have a hard time on a lot of modern / slaughter-lite maps. Even now I mostly just copy the movement techniques from decino or Coin.

Decino's breakdown of some mechanics/stats really helped me. The archvile vid explaining how the blast is blocked by low ledges so you only take 20 DMG let me beat a level I was stuck on for a long time.

Highly recommend watching those.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYZp53E4M0t_8HmPlV4m04vGKUcJIQc53&feature=shared

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

koren posted:

You fire the big ball from the gun and when the ball impacts, the tracers will emanate from the player's current position half a second later in a cone. The angle the tracers come out at is the same angle you fired the ball. Once you get a feel for the timing it becomes very natural feeling.

Well I would never have quite got that by myself but it makes sense in a slightly insane way. I'm usually averse to videos but time to have a look I think lol

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
decino is great and i have learned a lot from him. I didn't get how important being close was when beefgeeing

now reflecting on my progress...I may not have learned a second language or earned an advanced degree over the pandemic, but now im 2 shotting cyberdemons on the regular, straight up bully any lone archvile I run into. when those two used to scare the crap out of me. as ive said before, a great way to feel unstoppable in a world that loves stopping people all the time

just past the halfway point of devilution, 17 Galapagos is a tidy little unfoldy map. some pretty darn unkind chaingunner placement, good infighting opportunities though too

this man is Experiencing a Problem with his skeleton body mostly being in the ground:

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
who wants to say it

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Squeezy Farm posted:

who wants to say it

Don't be afraid, you can say "congratulations"

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Brolander posted:

i think your skeleton is a little agitated

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Well I would never have quite got that by myself but it makes sense in a slightly insane way. I'm usually averse to videos but time to have a look I think lol

id originally wanted the BFG to fire a giant spread of multicolored plasma balls, but PCs of the time weren't strong enough to render that much at once, so they scaled it back to the one big ball but kept the spread effect in as the invisible tracers. Still don't know why they don't trigger until the ball impacts something.

This video has some dated gamer words in it, but it's also one of the best I've seen for showing basic monster mechanics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJcf0aOwmiA

Brolander posted:

Probably wanted to beg you to turn off texture smoothing/filtering/whatever. That's the default setting in GZDoom but Graf is literally the only person who thinks it looks good:
Display options > Texture options > Texture filter mode: None (linear mipmap)

I've read through this while setting things up on new PCs and it seems pretty reasonable:
https://eev.ee/blog/2021/12/11/recommended-gzdoom-settings/

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
ah didn't think about textures

I do remembering changing some of that stuff a couple versions of gzdoom ago, having seen it referred to enough times here and noticing a difference. but it's never really bothered me either way

Arivia posted:

i think your skeleton is a little agitated

haha yes, poor guy making his noises and flailing. i did teabag him 1000 times though

e: ok i changed most of that stuff, it does look better. but i mean as long as the basic monsta shapes are right im good to golden

Brolander fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jan 25, 2024

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

khwarezm posted:

Does anyone who's better plugged into the modding scene know if there is any movement on episode 3 of The Adventures of Square? Its been almost 6 years since the last one came out, I'm not even sure if BigBrik is still a thing and the last major news I can see on their twitter is that, sadly, one of their team died in 2020, I don't know if that permanently halted the project and I can't find much news or discussion about the state of affairs online.
Jimmy said on a stream a few weeks back that pretty much everyone from BigBrik is involved in other projects now (typically as full time work) and it's extremely hard to make progress on episode 3. I can't remember if he said development of it was actually over, but that was the implication.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

an_mutt posted:

Jimmy said on a stream a few weeks back that pretty much everyone from BigBrik is involved in other projects now (typically as full time work) and it's extremely hard to make progress on episode 3. I can't remember if he said development of it was actually over, but that was the implication.

That's a shame, I really wish if they do continue work on it that they just release it on steam for cash money, I actually feel bad playing mods of that quality for free. Same goes for Ashes 2063.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Takes No Damage posted:

This video has some dated gamer words in it, but it's also one of the best I've seen for showing basic monster mechanics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJcf0aOwmiA

I love this video, it is definitely a lil Dated but it's one of the things that got me back into Doom after my last experience was like, playing Plutonia on my modded PSP

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

Takes No Damage posted:

This video has some dated gamer words in it,

M*ckerel

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

/slaps you around a bit with a large trout

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Stumbled across this in the Waffleimages thread:

For something more topical, I started playing through the DBP wads, nearing the end of the first one and so far it's pretty good. Not mindblowing but none of the maps have been complete trash either.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I like the sound of that Hell Knight Cream and Baron of Hell Pink

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Edit: whoops wrong thread

fadam fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jan 29, 2024

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
devilution continued.. The Habitatening is everything i thought it could be and more. almost everything is dead and I still have 15 13 9 7 secrets to find

moved on, maybe will revisit and 100%. Lovingly crafted, has al the right references etc.

end of map 22 is a potential panic attack if you just run around like a dope. much easier to calmly take out 1, then line the rest all up on one side to rocket/plasma out. MAP 23...what am i supposed to kill all this poo poo with?? i suspect i missed a launcher with all these boxes around...

Brolander fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Feb 3, 2024

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Slightly dumb question, what are the best sourceports to be playing modern Doom mods and megawads like Elementalism and stuff like that with? Is GZDoom still the way to go or am I out of step?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

khwarezm posted:

Slightly dumb question, what are the best sourceports to be playing modern Doom mods and megawads like Elementalism and stuff like that with? Is GZDoom still the way to go or am I out of step?

I made a big post in this thread awhile ago with the answers but basically GZDoom and dsda-doom are the two you’ll want.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Arivia posted:

I made a big post in this thread awhile ago with the answers but basically GZDoom and dsda-doom are the two you’ll want.

Thanks, how about launchers, any recommendations?

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

khwarezm posted:

ZDL is my goto. You can add multiple ports, IWADs, and a list of PWADs you can toggle on-off if you need to have different combinations of them. It even helps set up multiplayer games.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
GZDoom for lots of shiny effects or heavily modded stuff, DSDA or PRBoom for giant slaughter maps that GZ wouldn't be able to handle.

khwarezm posted:

I like Doom Runner, one of the better ones I've found for Linux.

Unrelated, doomcute snowman from the ice-themed DBP#2:

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

What's the current goto sourceport(s) for Quake?

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Ironwail is the port to use.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Jehde posted:

What's the current goto sourceport(s) for Quake?

There’s good Quake discussion (maps, sourceports) in the regular retro fps thread. A guy just posted a great small paper on Dwell, I think that was the map set in question.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Oops yeah, thought this was the early FPS thread, I'll repost there.

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

koren posted:

Ironwail is the port to use.

This is true unless you’re on macOS, where the OpenGL version supported is lower than what Ironwail wants. In that case you’ll probably want VkQuake, or maybe QuakeSpasm Spiked.

MayOrMayNotBeACat
Jul 22, 2017

I am loving playing Ichinichi on the Steam Deck

Hard enough to be exciting while not so hard that I'm walled while trying to get a hold on how to deal with modern FPS controls on controllers (gyro + flick stick).

The first three maps have kept me trapped every time in a permanent state of fun, but today I broke out into the fourth map and finished it!

Going to see if I can finish the fifth map tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Finally finished Sunder and....drat.