Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Count Roland posted:

I play jazz. Instrumental only. Hank Mobley and Art Blakey have been on for a while. Makes a nice cool atmosphere for the beginners class I teach.

This was my old coach's go-to and I think it's very underrated for bjj. Even the MMA guys we shared the space with came around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
50s hits also have a very cool vibe

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Defenestrategy posted:

although it did give me the really sneaky and lovely Idea to shorten my dominant side sleeve and keep the other side sleeve long incase I wanted to be a jerk.

Can we see a picture of the sleeves of entrapment?

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

Defenestrategy posted:

Good to hear, tell us how it goes and good luck goon.

Thanks!

I did lose both my matches but it really was a fun time. The weight class I was in was 220lbs max which I think is too big for me to be in. Gonna do my best to lose some pounds.

Next two tournaments I'm signed up for the weight limit for my division is 208lbs so might make things easier.

Was also fun to see Jiu Jitsu people that I don't see most days.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

starkebn posted:

Can we see a picture of the sleeves of entrapment?

Yea, once they're out of the laundry. Warning my phone camera is shattered and gross. You have been warned for the future.

duckdealer posted:

Thanks!

I did lose both my matches but it really was a fun time. The weight class I was in was 220lbs max which I think is too big for me to be in. Gonna do my best to lose some pounds.

Next two tournaments I'm signed up for the weight limit for my division is 208lbs so might make things easier.

Was also fun to see Jiu Jitsu people that I don't see most days.

At least you had fun, good job getting out there! 208 is gonna be a lot easier than 220 and absolute. The higher weight classes are all fat guys doing it as a hobby and absolute monsters, and various sliding scales of that. The lower weight divisions aren't near so dire although it gets made up for by having more matches.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

starkebn posted:

it's a shame they don't provide the service themselves, they'd rather just strike a fan

:capitalism:

I found this tonight, looks official to me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7-6VouG6M8

Some good matches, 3-4 really impressive technical wins

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Hi folks, hoping this is the right thread for this question.

My kid is turning 8 and I want him to get out of the house more, be more physical, be more confident in himself, all the standard stuff. Personally, I grew up on a farm w/ livestock and wrestled six years in middle school/high school, plus football and rugby. I don't really want him in those sports due to myriad issues (concussions, weight cutting) but have been looking into judo for him. Sadly, it's not too common where I am but there's a million tae kwon do and karate dojos I'd rather not have him in either.

That being said, it's come to my understanding BJJ gyms have more standup action than I imagined and might be a good fit for a beginning kid. Any recommendations on how to choose between places? Here's a few near me:
http://serafinjiujitsu.com/
https://graciebarra.com/evanston-il/
https://newbreedtrainingcenter.com/
https://www.staleymartialarts.com/

I'm guessing the real answer is 'whatever works for your schedule' but wanted to know if there's any real obvious red flags that would be noticeable when going in, other than general cleanliness.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

trevorreznik posted:

I'm guessing the real answer is 'whatever works for your schedule' but wanted to know if there's any real obvious red flags that would be noticeable when going in, other than general cleanliness.

Those look fine, the head instructors look legit and aren't some dumb blue belts trying to run a gym. Basically just watch the kids class it should be pretty obvious if it's a sham or not.

Are the instructors paying attention, talking with students individually, and actually teaching what looks to be some sort of grappling? Are there some amount of kids in the class? Does it look like the coach actually has control of the class? I would also probably look at publicly available sex offender lists to see if any of the instructors pop as a sex pest. Also does the vibe fit with what you want your kid to be around?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
If you're there while the adults are there, you could find people with colored belts, particularly purple, brown, and black, and ask them 1) if this is their first gym or not and if not 2) why did they start training there. You can end up a gym just because it's the closest one or whatever, but once you've been training for 5+ years there's more of a chance that you've drifted away from the awful gyms in the area, and even if they just moved and needed a new gym, it's a lot more likely that someone with years of training bothered to try out multiple gyms in the area before choosing.

Thread, do Gracie Barra gyms usually cost more, hit you up with fees etc?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Jack B Nimble posted:

Thread, do Gracie Barra gyms usually cost more, hit you up with fees etc?

Are they the gracies that require you to use their branded gi's? If so :sever:

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon

trevorreznik posted:

Hi folks, hoping this is the right thread for this question.

My kid is turning 8 and I want him to get out of the house more, be more physical, be more confident in himself, all the standard stuff. Personally, I grew up on a farm w/ livestock and wrestled six years in middle school/high school, plus football and rugby. I don't really want him in those sports due to myriad issues (concussions, weight cutting) but have been looking into judo for him. Sadly, it's not too common where I am but there's a million tae kwon do and karate dojos I'd rather not have him in either.

That being said, it's come to my understanding BJJ gyms have more standup action than I imagined and might be a good fit for a beginning kid. Any recommendations on how to choose between places? Here's a few near me:
http://serafinjiujitsu.com/
https://graciebarra.com/evanston-il/
https://newbreedtrainingcenter.com/
https://www.staleymartialarts.com/

Sounds like you are near me! I don't train any more since my wife is immunocompromised. I've heard good things about New Breed and they do well in area competitions I think. Also Serafin sounds great based on the reviews I've read. Haven't heard anything either way about the others. I used to train with the Redzovics in Chicago and just about anyone under them is great, but I'm not sure they are affiliated with any place in Evanston. They used to have some folks teach at Fonseca Martial Arts here... is that an option?

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

trevorreznik posted:

The only red flag with any of them is that Barra has some consumer unfriendly business practices, but also has one of the largest gym networks and a consistent training/ teaching style. I don't have personal experience with any of the gyms there but I'm training at a TAC team/ New Breed affiliate in St Louis (Watsons MMA) and Kyle has a good teaching style with a week to week and month to month structure, which is probably a good sign for the rest of the affiliation.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Tambreet posted:

Sounds like you are near me! I don't train any more since my wife is immunocompromised. I've heard good things about New Breed and they do well in area competitions I think. Also Serafin sounds great based on the reviews I've read. Haven't heard anything either way about the others. I used to train with the Redzovics in Chicago and just about anyone under them is great, but I'm not sure they are affiliated with any place in Evanston. They used to have some folks teach at Fonseca Martial Arts here... is that an option?

There's a bunch of Fonsecas but the one near me doesn't have the BJJ class. Might be worth the extra drive though.

Thanks for all the advice, folks!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

trevorreznik posted:

I don't really want him in those sports due to myriad issues (concussions, weight cutting) but have been looking into judo for him.

Out of curiosity, are there any stats for incidence rates of concussions for adult practitioners of various grappling sports? Normalized by hour or something.
My initial gut reaction was that judo would have a higher rate than either folk style wrestling or BJJ, but I think that only comes from anecdotes.

Chansey
Jan 18, 2024

kimbo305 posted:

Out of curiosity, are there any stats for incidence rates of concussions for adult practitioners of various grappling sports? Normalized by hour or something.
My initial gut reaction was that judo would have a higher rate than either folk style wrestling or BJJ, but I think that only comes from anecdotes.

There's been several studies on concussions for jiu jitsu athletes but nothing along the lines of what you seem to be looking for, at least that I can find. You'd probably have to pull numerous studies for each sport individually on head trauma and then do a comparison which can be tricky due to potentially wildly varying methodologies of data collection. Here's some on just jiu jitsu i found off a fairly short glance and scan of their abstracts. I also provided the citations so you can find the papers more easily if you have access to academic paper databases etc.

Study 1

This study mostly noted concussion reporting/care by jiu jitsu athletes and found that, somewhat unsurprisingly, lower ranked people are more susceptible to getting a concussion. Among a total of 791 practitioners survey results showed that concussions are more frequent at the beginner's white 49.0% and blue belt 33.3% (p≤ 0.01). The symptom "seeing stars" showed a positive and significant correlation (r= 0.169, p≤0.002) with a white and blue belt. After a concussion, white and blue belts return faster than the others (χ2= 190.964; p≤ 0.01). White, blue, and purple belts are the least likely to seek medical care after a concussion (χ2= 14.874; p≤ 0.01). Together, our results showed the need for an educational intervention with the BJJ coaches and beginners regarding awareness about concussions and possible post-traumatic issues and creating procedures to deal with concussions in BJJ.

Marco, A. F. dos S., Lucas, O., Destter, Á. A., Francisco, N. O. da S., André, M. F., Felipe, G. T., Dany, A. S. S., Ciro, J. B., & Bianca, M. (2022). Lower Experience Increases Concussion Susceptibility in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Practitioners, 18(2). https://doi.org/10.6063/motricidade.25224

Study 2

This study looked at 778 (11.4% female) BJJ practitioners with a median age of 31 years (based off survey results). Overall, the lifetime prevalence of the self-reported BJJ-related concussion was 25.2%. However, the prevalence was higher among females than males (43.0% versus 22.9%; X2(1,740) = 15.129; p < 0.001). Factors independently associated with significantly increased odds of having sustained a BJJ-related concussion included a prior history of concussion (OR 1.76, 95% CI 1.14–2.74; p = 0.011) and female gender (OR 1.95, 95% CI 1.04–3.65; p = 0.037). The median return to sports time was three days, with 30.3% of participants returning on the same day as being concussed. The present study represents the first epidemiological research examining the concussions in BJJ. The results underscore the need for increased education on concussions and return to sports guidelines among BJJ coaches and practitioners.

Matthew, S., Donald, A. R., Mill, E., & Kristina, H. P. (2019). Epidemiology of Sports Related Concussion in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: A Cross-Sectional Study, 7(2), 53–53. https://doi.org/10.3390/sports7020053

Study 3

This one notes there's a higher rate of concussions among female bjj practitioners, though I imagine somewhere within the paper they may not that they're more susceptible to just report the head trauma than try to mask it like men may tend to do.

Knowledge about the prevalence of concussion in combat sports is important information to keep athletes' and practitioners' physical integrity in different modalities such as Brazilian jiu-jitsu (BJJ). Therefore, this study aimed to compare concussions incidence in BJJ between men and women practitioners. A randomized sample of 779 (689 men and 90 women) BJJ practitioners (age: 32.4± 9.8 years, training-time:57.3± 54.4 months, training frequency: 3.4± 1.3 times/week). The injury analysis was done using a questionnaire with demographic data and a survey about concussions. The main results showed that women had a significantly higher frequency of concussions in training than men [38 (41%) women vs 147 men (20,5%); p≤ 0.001]. Furthermore, women had a significantly higher frequency of loss of consciousness than men [13 (8.8%) men vs 4 (11%) women; p= 0.009], among the symptoms resulting from a concussion, headache, dizziness, and loss of balance, represented the most common symptoms in those affected by concussion, regardless of gender. The results of this study may be helpful to athletes, coaches, and federations to prevent this type of injury, mainly in women.

Gustavo, N. de C., Rafael, da S. R., Ana, C., Diana, de O. S., Felipe, G. T., Naiara, R. A., Diego, I. V. P., Ciro, J. B., & Bianca, M. (2022). Women Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Practitioners Showed a Higher Incidence of Concussion: An Epidemiological Analysis, 18(2). https://doi.org/10.6063/motricidade.25225

Again these are just from the abstracts and you'll probably want to read further on the methodology, results, and also discussion sections of the paper to see how much veracity and accuracy the data actually holds.

Chansey fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Feb 5, 2024

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Hunh — those must all be the same dataset. Plus/minus a couple outliers. Thanks for the abstracts!

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

Yall I'm going to go back to a gym tomorrow, for the first time since covid. I'm so loving excited to get twisted up into a pretzel again.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

https://imgur.com/a/yQ6etFF

As promised for reference, I just got back from alterations and to reach 15cm from the wrist theyre removing like 5cm.

Excuse my hosed up camera.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Jeremor posted:

Yall I'm going to go back to a gym tomorrow, for the first time since covid. I'm so loving excited to get twisted up into a pretzel again.

BJJ or yoga?

Edit: Sorry I thought I was in the fitness thread, seeing that I'm in the grappling thread obviously some kind of grappling art.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Took a few days off cause drilling de la riva hurts my knee and then had to take like, the week off and maybe more cause I think I got non-grappling related staph on my thigh 🥲

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Buschmaki posted:

Took a few days off cause drilling de la riva hurts my knee and then had to take like, the week off and maybe more cause I think I got non-grappling related staph on my thigh 🥲

That sucks goon. When doing de la riva conistently and any other guard that requires your knee put in janky position for that matter make sure youre not cheating and using your knees limited left right flexibility to get the hook in.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I definitely am... hell I do the same cheating to get into lotus position. Maybe I should look into yoga specific for bjj to improve my flexibility cause yoga guy itt gave me that thought..

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
Yeah if you ever feel like you need knee flexibility you actually need to open up and move your hips

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Buschmaki posted:

I definitely am... hell I do the same cheating to get into lotus position. Maybe I should look into yoga specific for bjj to improve my flexibility cause yoga guy itt gave me that thought..

If you can go full lotus with cheating, or even half lotus without, you have more than enough lower body flexibility to accomplish anything in BJJ.

Chansey
Jan 18, 2024

kimbo305 posted:

Hunh — those must all be the same dataset. Plus/minus a couple outliers. Thanks for the abstracts!

I didn't check but its entirely possible they are, but also entirely possible they aren't.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Green Toad posted:

I didn't check but its entirely possible they are, but also entirely possible they aren't.

The counts and proportion of women are so insanely close.

Chansey
Jan 18, 2024

kimbo305 posted:

The counts and proportion of women are so insanely close.

Reading the papers, Study 3 and Study 1 rely on the data collection from Study 2.

Study 2 specifically said

So there's the same data set across all three studies, with some varying conclusions/inferences from that data, all based on a seemingly random number of USA based bjj folk.

Would be interested to see how it looks outside the USA which has terrible issues with healthcare etc. compared to other nations.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

Vashro posted:

Yeah if you ever feel like you need knee flexibility you actually need to open up and move your hips

If I had to come up with a short list of tips for beginners, this would show up pretty much immediately after the ones about hygiene and not slamming your partner on their head. Almost every knee injury I've personally witnessed and a high percentage of the ones I've heard about secondhand have been the direct result of someone trying to push or pull their *own* knee in a direction it isn't meant to go.

Jeremor posted:

Hell yeah! Let us know how it goes--I always enjoy seeing people come back after a long break.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Two lady white belts were rolling at my gym last night and one got their knee popped; we'll wait to hear what the emergency room says but maybe a torn ACL. According to the other woman, who was on their second trial class (but had wrestled in high school), she was trying a trip and the lady that got the injury resisted, dug her heel in, and the knee popped. I saw the takedown in the corner of my eye (but was being crushed in a bottom position by a black belt) and to me it looked like maybe they just fell in a big dumb heap on top of each other and the leg may have been caught.

It's not my gym, but there's something to be said for not letting two white belts that have no chill (they both roll very hard) to stand up with each other; I don't think either of them really know the value of either not going 100% on takedowns and also being more concerned with landing correctly rather than "winning". I don't know who was really at fault but whether you're the tori or the uke on a takedown you can always bring the intensity down a bit to prioritize safety, you just have to be willing to lose.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Feb 6, 2024

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
I wish more gyms were more proactive about safety rather than assuming people will instinctively know how to avoid injury. Practicing breakfalls and having a solid warmup is a good start, but I'd like to see the wrong way to do techniques that are likely to cause injury in addition to the correct way to do it.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
Also white belts should have to sit in the corner for 5 minutes if they say "youtube."

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Finally got into the gym on Saturday after being sick for a few days. Immediately got heel hooked and torn a ligment in my foot by a blue belt that ripped into it. Thank god it wasnt my knee! I tapped as fast as humanly possible and my foot seems ok, but if I bend it into the toehold position its still pretty sore. Everyone in the gym heard the "pop". Has this ever happened to anyone? I've seen it twice and each time the dude in question ended up ok.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Wasn't a heel hook, but I definitely rolled my ankle once, heard an audible pop, had tons of swelling for a few days, but it was fine some weeks later. That's happened on a few joints, has never seemed to be permanent.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Finally got into the gym on Saturday after being sick for a few days. Immediately got heel hooked and torn a ligment in my foot by a blue belt that ripped into it. Thank god it wasnt my knee! I tapped as fast as humanly possible and my foot seems ok, but if I bend it into the toehold position its still pretty sore. Everyone in the gym heard the "pop". Has this ever happened to anyone? I've seen it twice and each time the dude in question ended up ok.

One time I put a guy in a toe hold and he didn't tap, so I just started doing that thing where I slowly put it on more and more to get him to tap. When his toe was almost in his anus there was a cracking sound like a thick dry branch being snapped in half suddenly and his leg lurched. I thought I had broken his tibia and freaked out. He stood up and was like "hm it's fine" and walked on it normally, and went back to rolling, though I was done for the day. Later said that he iced it that night and was back on the mats in a few days.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Wtf does that dude gain from that!? It's not like needs to practice helplessly letting someone crank a submission. Or was he trying to work his way out while it happened?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Jack B Nimble posted:

Wtf does that dude gain from that!? It's not like needs to practice helplessly letting someone crank a submission. Or was he trying to work his way out while it happened?

Some people are stupidly stubborn and prideful.

When I was a new blue belt I switched gyms from a very traditional bjj place to a more sport oriented place, so while I didnt have a wide breath of newer moves I basically knew every old attack and defense in the book. A middle purple belt got on my back and let his hooks a little loose, so I crossed his ankles and went for the back pack ankle lock. Dude didnt tap, so I slowly cranked it while he was busy trying to bug my neck. Then we hear a series of pops and wouldnt ya know he had busted his ankles.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Man, I'm getting to the point where my tap isn't even necessarily that the lock is on and they're starting it crank - if I lose whatever defense I was attempting and now they have an unobstructed path to finishing the move.

In fact, I'm currently in the process of not over correcting, I'm finding I'm leaving my training partners slightly confused and maybe even a tiny bit disappointed that I "quit". It really depends on how fast they progress through their subs though; if they're quick to bring the submission to completion then I'm quick to tap on joint locks. Sometimes the younger guys seem to disapprove, but I don't get hurt.

And really, if they'res some resentment that I don't have to suffer through a hard joint lock and they do; the answer isn't for me to tap later, it's for them to tap sooner. (I add this last part not to complain but because I thought this through and reached this conclusion just now).

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

On MTG Arena, for a while I would get mad if other people would concede the game before I could kill them. But then I started conceding games when I knew I couldn't win. It owns. Saves several seconds.

In BJJ it saves several seconds AND potentially several months of rehab. So I'm all for tapping really quickly.

The only time I could honestly see myself getting upset about someone tapping too quickly would be if I was unsure if I actually had the lock on properly.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I just tap when I feel theres no viable way out of an attack. My coach once accused me of tapping way too early until I told him that I was well and truly hosed and I didnt need to test his breaking power when I'm pinned with an arm exposed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Yeah it's like checkmate. You're done, they don't actually have to take the piece. Sometimes I get weird looks, tapping early but I don't care.