Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I started with firewall but it wasn't fun. Got the frozen orb aspect on an amulet and it's much more satisfying.

Whenever things freeze I go "maybe you should... Chill out."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Mustached Demon posted:

I started with firewall but it wasn't fun. Got the frozen orb aspect on an amulet and it's much more satisfying.

Whenever things freeze I go "maybe you should... Chill out."

I started a Firewall Sorc in HC last season because it was supposed to be safer than Arc Lash, etc. It was, but it was also boring. Lots of standing around, waiting for stuff to burn. So I switched to Arc Lash and had more fun, then all the Lit Ball nonsense was discovered and I jumped on that bandwagon and never looked back.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Last season, didn't they make it so wt3 only drops sacred and wt4 only drops ancestral? At level 63 in wt3 I would say I see rare and sacred in equal amounts

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Legendaries are never auto salvaged no matter what WT you're in, and anything that isn't a drop bypasses the auto salvage system (cache rewards, end of NMD rewards, chests maybe?)

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

pacts from season 2 are dropping from bosses during helltides lol

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

So apparently word on the street is that vaults are a lot more fun after the patch? Much more warding stacks so you can take a lot of trap hits, high mob density with good xp, straightforward path with no backtracking, etc, people are saying they are better than NMDs? Not playing so idk but sounds like good news

lagidnam
Nov 8, 2010

Bisse posted:

So apparently word on the street is that vaults are a lot more fun after the patch? Much more warding stacks so you can take a lot of trap hits, high mob density with good xp, straightforward path with no backtracking, etc, people are saying they are better than NMDs? Not playing so idk but sounds like good news

Played 4-5 this morning and I can confirm that. Spend two pearls at the entrance to get 20 stacks of the buff. Keep 15 till the end and you get 2 pearls back from the chests. Good amount of gear and tons of the robot stones at the end. Monster density is really nice and the xp per run seems to be at least on par with NMDs. It's at least a distraction from the normal grind.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
They’re definitely better. There’s also a guaranteed chest after you do the last event. Since warding stacks are trivial now you get a ton of loot. The robot skills skills are flying up. Whispers also drop them now, so while still unclear if the non support skills will be any good, at least they level way faster.

Kenzo
Jun 29, 2004

Tekseta!
So what is the flavor of the season character to roll now?

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Kenzo posted:

Barb...Barb and uhh...Barb

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

So what's the level of everyone's Lightning Bolt rune?

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

BTW me and a friend saw S2 off by spending the last day doing some AoZ runs and here are my final takeaways from it:

Good:
- This KIND OF endgame activity is exactly what D4 needs. Fighting progressively harder dungeons and working on your build when you hit a wall, is actually really fun.
- The bosses were fun because you can cheese them with shrines. Our strategy was to save a shrine, hopefully Protection or Conduit for the bosses and run back. If we didnt find a good one we ran ahead for about a min to see if we got lucky. Yes its dumb and OP but dumb and OP is ”f u n”
- No shrines being cursed is a Good And Fun Thing.
- Teamwork works. You group and stun, I bonk. It works and is fun.
- Even when youre losing its about 80% game time and 20% downtime because crafting a new sigil is instant.
- Clearing a few times maxes your glyphs. Thank you.

The bad:
- Pushing difficult endgame content exposes basic D4 problems. Massive build disparity in damage output, some bullshit enemies like ballistas. Random creeps suddenly one shotting you because enemy damage seems heavily randomised and you have no idea what a random creeps damage is until it touches you. Lag. Etc.
- Clearing a dungeon should return your sigil dust. Being on a win streak and running out of dust is dumb.
- Every 5th dungeon having a huge difficulty boost is dumb.
- One person dying ending the run sucks balls. We would frequently be doing well and taking moderate damage with no issues then some random zombie tickles one of our toes and apparently does 30,000+ damage at max resistance and 82% armor and further damage reductions, and the entire run is just over for both of us. It means the best strat is not to team up, doing it alone is less frustrating, unless you pay some minmaxxer to carry you for some reason while you hang at dungeon start. If both of us die, fine, but at least let us resurrect each other.

My take is keep some AoZ like thing in the game, remove the difficulty curve bumps, let us res each other, make it drop glyph xp 925 gear and uber uniques, and thats a good thing to do at end game.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Kenzo posted:

they made a barb season again

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
All five classes have a tippity top tier build or two or three

My pen shot rogue is a lot of fun, and I hear sorc and druid are insanely fun as well

No idea about necros because they are for hot topic nerds

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

All classes have good builds, barb just requires zero brainpower and effort to find, make, and play them.

Sorc: Stack rare aspects with a design oversight related to attacks speed and then
Barb: LOL OVERPOWER BONK BONK MORE NUMBERS MORE BONK

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Bisse posted:

All classes have good builds, barb just requires zero brainpower and effort to find, make, and play them.

Sorc: Stack rare aspects with a design oversight related to attacks speed and then
Barb: LOL OVERPOWER BONK BONK MORE NUMBERS MORE BONK

that's why you go Walking Arsenal, the Thinking Man's Barb™

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Orange Crush Rush posted:

that's why you go Walking Arsenal, the Thinking Man's Barb™
I love this way of looking at it. Its so nice having skills like Death Blow that reset when you get a kill instead of having to watch a timer, and a fun ult that you can fire off every 20 seconds.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
People are coming around on the companion, now that it's easier to get it leveled up and see just how cracked out that little spider boy is

They totally dropped the ball on the power fantasy of it though. Like last season I literally turned into a cloud of bats, there was no missing that we were Juiced on vampire blood. This season, obviously doing 50% more damage at all times as a huge buff, but I don't really feel like it, you know? I feel like they needed some good visuals and sound effects for the robot to make its presence felt a little bit more. Like imagine if your skills had a metallic Rusty twang filter while you were affected by a companion buff

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I’ve had all the governing stones forever and all the non-unique tuning stones… except, I don’t have a single copy of the duration extender, gently caress.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

Bisse posted:

BTW me and a friend saw S2 off by spending the last day doing some AoZ runs and here are my final takeaways from it:

re: damage jumping: the last % point or two for resistance and armor matter a whole lot for reducing incoming damage and making higher tiers viable. you mentioned 82% DR for armor which, maybe a typo, but made me think of this. also, AoZ has hidden affixes just like all NMD sigil have, so you can get armor breaker or resistance breaker sigils that can lower you below the cap even if you already were at it

that being said, there are a ton of monster nuances that are lost when you can power through everything with one thought. playing HC in the preseason helped me learn all the abilities and the like. obviously AoZ was intentionally overtuned though

but yeah i agree with the broad strokes of what you've said. adding HC-lite one death ends the run is hopefully not a continued trend, that seems weird

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
Well the vaults are better now but the robot is still boring, so it’s not as bad as before but still a pretty meh season.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

And the vaults are better because now you can just run through them and ignore everything that makes them different to nightmare dungeons.

They just made nightmare dungeons that are more efficient to run because they have a fixed layout so you never waste time exploring dead ends, but also boring and predictable

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I only play seasons long enough to finish the season quests and then quit, and I'm pretty surprised that they made this one so fast to zoom through. I thought if anything they'd try to drag them out longer to keep anyone who is lured by new story content engaged, so I didn't expect to wrap up at level 27 this time, especially with a boss that was faster to kill than stronghold bosses. On the plus side, it obviously didn't have time to wear out its welcome at that speed, so I had a pretty good time rushing through it even if I think a season centered around traps and a dumb companion skitterbot is a pretty boring idea. If the season mechanic wasn't so :effort: I'd probably actually stick around a bit longer, but as it is I'm content to wait another few months to see if season 4 is more interesting.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Honestly, post-patch, I think this season is officially Good

Individual enjoyment is gonna vary based on where you're at with base game diablo enjoyment, but hot drat, I don't really have any remaining issues with the seasonal stuff. Fast, rewarding, powerful, fun

The state at launch was embarrassing but they sure know how to turn things around over there

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
I actually find Vaults quite fun now. Good rewards, doesn't take long, fixed layout make make them boring after a while though.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

I'm enjoying it, but I started in S2 so I'm not totally burnt out on the base game yet.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I'm going to make a charge barb and if it's still not fun then I think I just need a break until S4. Fortunately I have a friend who's still playing so I can get a boost

If D4 had no redeeming features I'd have ditched it altogether but it's just good enough to keep bringing me back

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

The state at launch was embarrassing but they sure know how to turn things around over there
I am very much preferring the 'oh poo poo *patches it up by 200% later that week*' approach to destiny 2's 'suck it up bitch' *rolls it back 0.02% in 6 months after the streamers complain*' approach.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Diablo IV Season 3 - At least we're not Destiny 2!

Wish I would have played more Vaults before the patch so that I could compare, but the update seems good. I'll be hanging out with Ichiban and crew for a while though so my Barb will have to wait.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Season 3 development will have started probably before even the feedback to the horrendous meganerf pack and far before the positive reaction to Season 2. While some stuff being undertuned can be a bit hard to understand, the general design of ’man i’m sure people will love traps’ is understandable because it was decided before the learning of ’oh ok people like big mobs big numbers and having fun’.

The quick and big adjustments to feedback though are very encouraging. It speaks of a team who has had their prestige ripped off and are willing to accept feedback and learn and just do whatever needs to be done.

I think S3 will end up being better than S1, not as fun as S2, and seeing encouraging signs for good seasons to come. Im trying out PoE and all the numbers tickle my geeky nerd brain in just the right places but everything else about the actual game itself is just, man I sure miss the D4 campaign and gameplay in general, wish I was playing that instead.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 27, 2024

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I played druid in both release and Season 1, skipped Season 2 entirely and am thinking about trying out Season 3. Maybe barb or rogue for something different than druid? idk

I literally haven't looked at any of the recent patch or season info I just saw 3 was releasing and thought hmm maybe I'll play it

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

People are coming around on the companion, now that it's easier to get it leveled up and see just how cracked out that little spider boy is

The damage buff rune in t3 is where the level 1 vampire season experience starts.

E: the Tal Rasha ring for sorc is also a game changer. Once you figure out a setup, constant 30-45%+ damage.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Yeah as someone who complained about the spider initially, he’s actually quite good. I put on the damage buff when I wanna win more and I put on the barrier one when I’m fighting a boss or something. He always has pummel and taunt (a goon told me this falls off in wt4 but that is not my experience.) I killed guignol or w/e his name is and my spider just tanked him in a corner while I stood still and shot like like this was a 2005 WoW boss.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

ultrachrist posted:

He always has pummel and taunt (a goon told me this falls off in wt4 but that is not my experience.)

ive for sure said this (maybe not to you specifically though idk). both big name streamer guys showed their (much more levelled glyphs than mine) spider being unable to solo a single level 100 overworld fly mob. i found it started hitting like a wet noodle in WT3 as a barb (who should be able to have it scale the best b/c 6 weapon slots and better universal paragon stuff) but all of that was before the latest patch

i still found it to be worthless for any kind of damage regardless because charging/leaping/dodging or just having a lot of movespeed means it is constantly a screen or two back. everyone's experience post patch seems to be positive which is good. hopefully they also did something to make it keep up because even the teleports behind u power didnt help enough

harrygomm fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jan 28, 2024

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
To be clear I’m not sure if he’s doing any damage, but the taunt is def landing.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
My little guy seems night and day since the patch. First box I got leveled up a ton of his stuff and filled in a bunch of stone gaps I had so I could actually do something with him other than just use the 6 they randomly tossed ms

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same
Dumb question, I just finished the campaign - where is the statue I fed pearls to before running a vault?

delightful
Jul 20, 2022
I'm a mega casual to Diablo. I never really got into D1/D2, I played some Diablo 3 very casually, but I feel like I'm lost.

I bought this game about a month ago, so didn't play at launch and only played the tail end of S2, I don't think I even sniffed a vampire power.

I'm level 60 now and, I think I'm missing something. Like everyone else I made a Barb but my damage seems to be an order of magnitude worse than every other Barb of the same level. I watch YouTube videos and its like "yeah, just equip these uniques and these legendary sigils" and im like sure, but when was I supposed to pick them up?

It's like there's some core detail about the game I'm just completely missing, probably some message that came up on screen among the 8000 other things this game bombarded me about while I was doing the campaign. Maybe one day a loading screen will tell me what I'm missing.

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same
Many legendary aspects can be gotten from completing a specific dungeon. I think you can see which one from in the enchanter window.

Others are purely random drops, for that it's about either using the obol gambler guy or just getting loot from the game. The Legion events and world bosses are a pretty good source of big chests, as are Helltides once you can do world tier 3 and 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

delightful posted:

I'm level 60 now and, I think I'm missing something. Like everyone else I made a Barb but my damage seems to be an order of magnitude worse than every other Barb of the same level. I watch YouTube videos and its like "yeah, just equip these uniques and these legendary sigils" and im like sure, but when was I supposed to pick them up?

It's like there's some core detail about the game I'm just completely missing, probably some message that came up on screen among the 8000 other things this game bombarded me about while I was doing the campaign. Maybe one day a loading screen will tell me what I'm missing.
I never played any Diablo seriously before either (beat D2 campaign twice I think and D3 once and thats about it) and rolled a barb last season. It felt a bit hard to get going… until I saw Earthstriker’s Aspect. https://game8.co/games/Diablo-4/archives/414471 This single aspect is the core detail you are missing.

From there on I was able to, with looking at guides, figure out something close to one of the top tier builds all by myself, and had a mindblowing blast doing it. Question: Does ’number gets bigger’ ever get boring? Answer: No. It does not. D4 is the first time I pushed a character past lvl50, and left a trail of blood guts and increasingly hysterical laughter in my wake.

What you want to do is just equip that, and then over time and experimentation just keep getting that Overpower damage to push through the stratosphere and onto insterstellar levels. It’s a lot more fun to experiment yourself so I won’t give you much more advice than that, other than to say Overpower damage bonuses are additive so at some point you will encounter diminishing returns on just raw owerpower damage and then it’s time to get creative to push on higher.

Also, get to World Tier 4 as soon as you can so you can start getting max level gear and everything else that sends your build to the Moon and beyond.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jan 28, 2024