Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

euroshopper posted:

the switch isn't designed for kids it's for weird adults who think princess Daisy is peak western trad femininity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

She's a strong, independent queen that don't need no man.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

drrockso20 posted:

Man gently caress you

Anyways so this post isn't just me saying that, tried out Pokemon Legends Arceus, so far pretty charming, I remember back in the day when I used to watch the anime seeing little glimpses here and there of what things were like in the past regarding Human/Pokemon interactions and wanting to see more so having a whole game centered around that premise is neat

Brother have you tried playing one video game instead of 20 minute sessions of every single game available on Switch?

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

But Mr. McGay, there's so many left to be tried!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Waffle! posted:

She's a strong, independent queen that don't need no man.

Wowie zowie!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
a switch SD card maxed out with nothing but demos

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

They should bring back Little Battlers Experience or maybe Metabots. We need more robot fighting games.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

My 4 & 6yo just got a switch and they're loving Mario kart.

I haven't bought a video game console since 2008. Does it make sense to buy the physical media versus digital? Any decent sources of cheaper or used games?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

brugroffil posted:

I haven't bought a video game console since 2008. Does it make sense to buy the physical media versus digital? Any decent sources of cheaper or used games?

If they're sharing the same Switch, it doesn't much matter. Physical tends to be cheaper, with the added benefit of being able to buy used. Digital would be a consideration with young children tho, one less thing to get lost or break or get juice spilled on.

If they ever get separate Switches, you would want to go physical. There are ways to share digital games between people, but it's kind of a pain and physical is as simple as "pop the cart in the other Switch, done."

For sales, make an account on Deku Deals and put the games you want to track on your wishlist. You'll be notified by email when a game goes on sale and in what format. For used games your best bets are probably ebay and Facebook and such like that.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Physical ftmfw

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
First party physical games often go on sale at big retailers like Walmart , and digital indie games often go on super cheap sales. So I'd mix and match using dekudeals.

For example, Pikmin 4 was $40 on Walmart first month of release but took a while to ship, and Yokus island was/is $3.99

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Why would anyone hold Princess Zelda up when Princess Peach has been playable in many games and is a trained ninja, while Zelda is just some lameass magic lady. Maybe if Zelda was a cool ninja like Sheik we could talk.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
dread is the best 2d metroid

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Dread ftw

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
I actually started another playthrough of Dread after beating it once over two years (jesus christ) ago

With a little distance from release now I can see there's some flaws I was happy to overlook before...the weird upgrade distribution, the map is kind of cluttered and hard to read at first, the soundtrack is a little underwhelming, etc

It's still a 9/10 mostly because the action is so fun and I still constantly have a chuckle at how loving badass Samus is, but a few cracks are showing. I started playing and told myself "ok 30 minutes than bedtime", then finally tore myself off after 1.5 hours

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

ImpAtom posted:

Why would anyone hold Princess Zelda up when Princess Peach has been playable in many games and is a trained ninja, while Zelda is just some lameass magic lady. Maybe if Zelda was a cool ninja like Sheik we could talk.

Am I getting wooshed, I didn't play any 3d Zeldas til botw but uh I'm pretty sure...

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

ImpAtom posted:

:pray:

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

brugroffil posted:

If you haven't had a console in a long while, you might not be aware that some libraries stock video games. Free, and you can get another if you bring it back!

DeusExIgnis
Aug 21, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

No way, Zelda is a cool a f pirate that helps you steal bombs

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
The Adventure of Link is a GOAT tier game, especially with save states.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

brugroffil posted:

I've got two kids who love Switch and we have two consoles. Physical is better because there's no lockout when they are both playing a game. If one is playing a digital game and the other one tries playing a digital game, even a different one, they get blocked. So you either have to carefully manage purchases across two accounts, which won't work, or you can buy carts, which always works.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

ImpAtom posted:

Zelda is also a ninja in several games

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Zelda is also a ninja in several games

Zelda turns into a plant in Majora’s Mask but I don’t think he ever becomes a ninja, unless you’re counting the costume in BotW.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
In the digital versus physical choice, there is also the option to swing both ways

I bought a giant memory card and buy most things digitally because I absolutely love not having to swap out cartridges

However, for a few must have titles, I will also buy them physically, used, just in case 20 years from now Nintendo decides to shut down the switch store

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

The Adventure of Link is a GOAT tier game, especially with save states.

Yeah it's a pretty cool game. There are a few ways you could improve it (making it less cryptic, fixing the experience so you don't lose it all on game overs, maybe add a few more places you continue from), but I actually prefer it to the first game.

I also like how unusual it is in that Ganon has nothing to do with the plot for once, and there's not really a "bad guy"- Link is just going around doing his own thing.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

In the digital versus physical choice, there is also the option to swing both ways

I bought a giant memory card and buy most things digitally because I absolutely love not having to swap out cartridges

However, for a few must have titles, I will also buy them physically, used, just in case 20 years from now Nintendo decides to shut down the switch store

If I didn't have kids to worry about I'd definitely go digital as much as possible. The specific reason physical works best with multiple consoles is that you don't need to worry about Nintendo's ridiculous policy around simultaneous playing of digital games across consoles.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
What's the ridiculous policy?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Steve Yun posted:

I like how you think it'll take 20 years for them to shut it down.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

The ridiculous policy is that you can share all your games and DLC with a second Switch, meaning you can e.g. play Monster Hunter with your kid all weekend using a single copy of the game. And they don't even care, even though it's Nintendo! Completely ridiculous!

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Annath posted:

Not that crazy, really. They’ve been winding down the 3ds eshop but it looks pretty likely it’ll hit at least 15 years from the console’s launch before they turn off being able to redownload your purchases.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
serious question: can you use Switch Lites as a multiplayer controller? like could i go over to my buddies house and coop off of his Mario Wonder? (i dont have Wonder myself)

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Sally posted:

serious question: can you use Switch Lites as a multiplayer controller? like could i go over to my buddies house and coop off of his Mario Wonder? (i dont have Wonder myself)

You cannot. However Mario Wonder supports using single joycons.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
kinda figured. which is all good. we have enough joycons to go around. my friend is weirdly insistent the Lite will work but i have found zero evidence online to support that clain

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Sally posted:

kinda figured. which is all good. we have enough joycons to go around. my friend is weirdly insistent the Lite will work but i have found zero evidence online to support that clain

You can do it, but it requires an original Gameboy link cable and a full moon.
The ritual also consumes the switch lite, and you will lose all unsaved progress.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

I think I remember reading somewhere (probably here) that Nintendo actually requires all multiplayer games to be playable with single Joy-Cons, which is pretty cool

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Annath posted:

I think he's figuring that Switch 2 will be backwards compatible with Switch 1 so it'll be a similar situation to what we have with PS4/PS5 and Xbox One/Xbox Series S|X

Sally posted:

I don't think you can, which is a shame because being able to use a 3DS as a controller for Smash 4 on WiiU was really neat

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
The best 2D Zelda game is A Link to the past.
Fight me :colbert:

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

eightysixed posted:

The best 2D Zelda game is A Link to the past.
Fight me :colbert:

this is as true as it gets.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

link's awakening is better but ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Looper posted:

dread is the best 2d metroid

I still think I prefer Super Metroid, but Dread is a close second. Though its QoL upgrades, like marking where upgrades that you can't get yet are on the map, are something I'd love to see in SM. I just prefer the feeling of open-ended-ness that SM has (even though it may not be that open actually), whereas Dread was great but had more of a sense of linearity to it. Still a fantastic game though.