Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

PhazonLink posted:

also reminder that Tim Pool says he's a leftist.

His whole thing is saying he is a leftist but then saying whatever Democrats are doing is insane and racist or whatever. It's all bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Not legally, most likely. But he's obviously all about the peacekeeping, clearly.

You can absolutely buy a Barrett legally, I've shot two

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Karanas posted:

Is that a loving anti-material rifle? You guys let civilians get their hands on these things?

There is a video of John green talking about how he got into an argument over twttier about how us citizens should not have nukes, and there were people on twitter who were pro-civilian having nukes.

So there are knee jerk contrarians, Stupid people, Gun/Weapon-Absolutists, power-hunger people, and scare of something batshit-crazy people that would Totally own nukes in a heart beat.

And general anti-consensus people who would help to make the argument.

mazzi Chart Czar fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jan 27, 2024

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh

kuarduck posted:

With enough money to the ATF, you can get a license for just about anything short of a nuke

That is legit insane 😳

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
isnt a gun that big heavy as gently caress?

maybe its a movie prop

kuarduck
Nov 15, 2012

I'm in disguise, you stupid tart!

:five:

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Karanas posted:

That is legit insane 😳

kuarduck
Nov 15, 2012

MrQwerty posted:

$20 a round at the local Rental Range. Until it burnt down.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

PhazonLink posted:

tbf more than half of amercians dont have enough liquidity to eat a 400$ sudden expense. also rich people have all these fin tricks where they dont need cash money

This is based on nonsense self-reported statistics. Even assuming the bank account numbers hold up, just 401k accounts with a median balance of $35k that are quickly accessible with some penalties make that obviously false.

That's not to say the US doesn't have serious problems around wealth inequality and working class savings rates, but you're citing massaged numbers from personal finance blogs.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
There was a great Bob the Angry Flower comic about everyone having backpack nukes and how everyone was polite and it was great but then he did allow for the fact that there was the *occasional* nuclear detonation, lol. Will have to try to dig it up, seems consistently relevant in the age of gun insanity.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

This is based on nonsense self-reported statistics. Even assuming the bank account numbers hold up, just 401k accounts with a median balance of $35k that are quickly accessible with some penalties make that obviously false.

That's not to say the US doesn't have serious problems around wealth inequality and working class savings rates, but you're citing massaged numbers from personal finance blogs.

lol okay this is really funny. I don’t like it so it can’t be true. Also everyone has a 401k I just assume

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

He has a rally tonight in Nevada.
Yeah, there was no way he was going to get from downtown Manhattan at 5pm on a Friday to get to Nevada last night. Even having a private plane doesn't mean poo poo when travel to the airport would take hours.

Blurred
Aug 26, 2004

WELL I WONNER WHAT IT'S LIIIIIKE TO BE A GOOD POSTER

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

I honestly think the decline of Christianity in the U.S. is tied to the George W. Bush presidency. A bunch of kids my age and younger grew up in these hyper-Christian households where W. became an avatar of their religion, and was presented as infallible all the way up until 2005, then everything crashed. He was exposed as a goober in over his head with Katrina, it finally became conventional wisdom that he had lied us into Iraq, the House Republicans were exposed helping hide a pedophile, and then the economy crashed hard. I didn't grow up in a Christian household, but my wife did, and yeah... a lot of those Evangelical kids whose entire lives was wrapped up in Christian private schools and mega-churches have just run away from that poo poo.

God is supposed to be infallible, but politicians will always be very fallible, and in tying W so tightly to their movement, they accidentally made God fallible by association. Now they've gone and done the same thing with Trump, so we'll see how that goes for them.

I think you're right, and I also think that George Bush also succeeded in puncturing a couple of other sacred American myths: namely, military jingoism (thanks to Iraq) and the moral superiority of capitalism (thanks to the subprime crisis). I think a lot of the amoral cynicism and resentment which led to the rise of Trump and the pop-right in the US stems from people recognising the bullshit at the heart of Bush-era conservativism, but failing to properly identify why it was bullshit, and so they just started to lash out and try to break things (including democracy itself) without any rhyme or reason.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

The Hitachi SU-9000 scanning electron microscope is capable of magnification of up to 3,000,000x and of resolving features smaller than 0.5nm in size. Maybe, just for a second before it's vaporized in the electron beam, it could allow this guy to see his own dick for the first time.

redgubbinz fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 27, 2024

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Lol "some penalties"
That's definitely a way to frame it

kuarduck
Nov 15, 2012

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I legit am related to idiots with two six-figure incomes for a single household and they're barely holding poo poo together because they constantly try to keep up with the Joneses. I'm not saying it's a common scenario but there are people who are horrible with money at every level.

Also, cashing out parts of your 401k for emergency spending is a great way to end up destitute before you die. The key word here is "liquidity".

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Right because the "average American" has a 401(k) at all, let alone one with $35k in it.

What color is the sky on your world?

kuarduck posted:

Also, cashing out parts of your 401k for emergency spending is a great way to end up destitute before you die. The key word here is "liquidity".

I've taken out loans against my 401(k) almost always to make a down payment on a house. They've all been paid back and I like it because the extra interest I pay all gets paid to future-me anyway.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

MrQwerty posted:

yeah about the only restriction on buying those is being 18 or older

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

lol okay this is really funny. I don’t like it so it can’t be true. Also everyone has a 401k I just assume

Median cash savings across US households are between $3000 and $5000, median retirement savings are in the neighborhood of $80k.

Those are not good numbers, and definitely represent a huge risk for a lot of people. But saying that more than half of the population can't generate $400 of liquidity in an emergency is just plain wrong.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Americans only go destitute after $500 sudden expenditures not $400, geesh guys.

kuarduck
Nov 15, 2012

IRS is garbage because they trust income tax fillings that are just nonsense self-reported statistics

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

50 BMG is expensive as hell though. hardly worth it

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
https://twitter.com/mrtoodamnchris/status/1751335444740981243?s=46&t=G1x8XWIwrNxUQoXItlkh2w

On that note, any Trumpian Holocaust mentionings?

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Median cash savings across US households are between $3000 and $5000

*cough* no

Study: Median American's Savings Account Balance Is $1,200

https://www.fool.com/the-ascent/research/average-savings-account-balance/

quote:

Data from the Federal Reserve collected in 2022 shows drops in the percentage of Americans who can cover an unexpected $400 expense and those who can cover three months of expenses, for the first time since at least 2013.

Another sign of fragility is that just 63% of Americans have cash on hand to cover a $400 emergency expense, down from 68% in 2021 and the first year-over-year decline since at least 2013.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Anyone want to help me search the far corners of my savings account for that extra $5000? It's in there somewhere.

kuarduck
Nov 15, 2012

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Median cash savings across US households are between $3000 and $5000, median retirement savings are in the neighborhood of $80k.

Those are not good numbers, and definitely represent a huge risk for a lot of people. But saying that more than half of the population can't generate $400 of liquidity in an emergency is just plain wrong.

Do we need to draw it out in crayon to explain that thanks to the upper class in America both of these can be true?

Median cash savings statistics are always skewed thanks to the billionaire class sitting on cash reserves for their spur of the moment purchases they can't be arsed to sell some stock for. What's the median for households under $250k of yearly income?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Still lolling at touching a 401 or IRA before 61.5 being "some penalties"

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Accipiter posted:

*cough* no

Study: Median American's Savings Account Balance Is $1,200

https://www.fool.com/the-ascent/research/average-savings-account-balance/

Those are individual, not household numbers.

https://www.federalreserve.gov/econres/scf/dataviz/scf/table/#series:Transaction_Accounts;demographic:all;population:all;units:median

And either way, obviously disproves the "more than half of people can't put up $400 for an emergency" argument.

kuarduck posted:

Do we need to draw it out in crayon to explain that thanks to the upper class in America both of these can be true?

Median cash savings statistics are always skewed thanks to the billionaire class sitting on cash reserves for their spur of the moment purchases they can't be arsed to sell some stock for. What's the median for households under $250k of yearly income?

...do you understand what a median is?

MrQwerty posted:

Still lolling at touching a 401 or IRA before 61.5 being "some penalties"

10% and retroactive taxes. The money is accessible in an emergency.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

...I'm curious about the other time Rudy here thinks the Red Sea parted

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Grey Cat posted:

Anyone want to help me search the far corners of my savings account for that extra $5000? It's in there somewhere.

Maybe don't order avocado lattes every day!

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Blurred posted:

I think you're right, and I also think that George Bush also succeeded in puncturing a couple of other sacred American myths: namely, military jingoism (thanks to Iraq) and the moral superiority of capitalism (thanks to the subprime crisis). I think a lot of the amoral cynicism and resentment which led to the rise of Trump and the pop-right in the US stems from people recognising the bullshit at the heart of Bush-era conservativism, but failing to properly identify why it was bullshit, and so they just started to lash out and try to break things (including democracy itself) without any rhyme or reason.

The 00's was also the time when a new mass of people were leaving rural areas to more urbanized areas. Bush Sped up that change and made it a rough transitions.

Like a kid could start off in 00's able to play near a river, and by 2010, they were stuck in some suburb a one hour walk away from the Walmart/Theater/ McDonalds.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Asterite34 posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

goatsea

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

kazil posted:

goatsea

:pusheen:
That's good.

kuarduck
Nov 15, 2012

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

...do you understand what a median is?

Counter: Do you understand what an outlier is and how it impacts a data set and the subsequent analysis?

nobodygetshurt
Dec 11, 2007

I'm really happy for all of this average savings debates, but if you aren't talking about some sort of way to help my finances, kindly gently caress off the Trump lol thread please.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Asterite34 posted:

It parted once in the Old Testament, and once in the Bible! Duh!

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Grey Cat posted:

everyone was warning you about that avocado toast :nono:

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

nobodygetshurt posted:

I'm really happy for all of this average savings debates, but if you aren't talking about some sort of way to help my finances, kindly gently caress off the Trump lol thread please.

Don't rape anyone. It'll save you $83 million.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Joshua Fuhrerstan