Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Good thing I called the store first, I had assumed the Deathwing box was out today. Although the two week window doesn't seem great with the codex spoiled a week ago and YouTubers already having the box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
about a quarter of the way through the new book.

drat i am pissed i didnt get a collectors edition one.

looks like abnett is giftwrapping all the loose ends and wow.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

So Abnett somehow lands the ship?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I honestly don’t care about balance, I think giant units and flyers crowded into a 40k table looks thematically dumb as hell even by 40k standards. Leave that stuff to forgeworld whales to be in once-a-year ginormous 16-hour apocalypse games.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

How pissy do people get if you run HH units in a 40k army? And before anyone asks, this not in a tourney setting, but for casual play.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

iospace posted:

How pissy do people get if you run HH units in a 40k army? And before anyone asks, this not in a tourney setting, but for casual play.

Are they stand ins for 40k units or are you running them using the HH data sheets?

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

Lostconfused posted:

Tempted to try and get that Kroot box when it comes out, despite already having 2 or possibly 3 unpainted armies still sitting around.

When does this go on sale? I similarly have enough Tau in my backlog to not need it…but I definitely want new sculpt Kroot boys. The inscrutable time gap between preview, hype, chatter rising before release and actual preorder has burned me more than once because I can’t be assed to check every FOMO marketing email.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Spanish Manlove posted:

Are they stand ins for 40k units or are you running them using the HH data sheets?

Stand in.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
No one had any problems previously, but now most 30k units have been split off into the legends category and so can only be used in friendly games. If that's not an issue for you, go hog wild.

Note that this mostly applies to the vehicles and dreadnoughts. 30k-specific infantry units like palatine blades, deathsworn, reavers, etc. never had 40k rules, but there's no reason you can't proxy them as something. Just make sure they line up well enough and you'll be fine.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

E2M2 posted:

Man where do I even start with Orks? World Eaters is pretty straight forward but Orks have a million choices. Guessing that Xmas box is a pretty good deal? Might be way out of my price range rn. Maybe the Combat Patrol?

Research an Ork clan, decide which you like the most and go from there. Right now none of it makes a difference but it at least gives you an idea and philosophy to build around which narrows the field of options. Just renember Ork shooting is terrible and you need to balance that out.

The christmas box set is a really good deal but it is themed towards Beast Snaggaz / Snakebites. If that's not your bag then you can avoid it. The Combat Patrol is also a good deal too (as it often is).

I always wanted to play Orks and really warmed up to the Snakebites idea, so I ended up picking two beast snagga stampede boxes, and got some other stuff to fill it out. I really wanted to have something that represented the Ork ecosystem. The only big wrench in my plans is that there are no squiggoths left in the world and no idea if/when they'll come back.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

CottonWolf posted:

45% through it and yeah i think he's gonna do it.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Don't see any reason why you couldn't build/paint your army as a mixed waagh! With majority of the orks being goffs, red evil sunz truks, and some bad moon flash gitz and meks or whatever.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Lostconfused posted:

Don't see any reason why you couldn't build/paint your army as a mixed waagh! With majority of the orks being goffs, red evil sunz truks, and some bad moon flash gitz and meks or whatever.

That’s how they are in the lore, but a lot of players prefer the stork-brand chapter/regiment/craftworld take

Plus you can just say this is just the warboss’s boyz and the larger waagh is mixed

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

CottonWolf posted:

Which proves that the best way to have Abnett write an ending is to have him dedicate a whole book to it.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
You can totally have a mixed waagh but if you're trying to slim down an overwhelming set of choices, it's a way to do it. You can really come up with any theme and run with it.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

iospace posted:

Stand in.

Perfectly fine for almost everyone who is worth playing with

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
I finally got my beakie heads 3d printed, and they came out alright! Some layering, but I'm optimistic that it won't be too obvious with a little bit of cleaning, some primer and a coat of paint!

From left to right, it's what I intend to use for mixing up regular dudes, infiltrators and finally some laurels for my captain

Also, this was my first experience with blender, so the first stl files I exported weren't.. quite representative of what they looked like in blender, so here's the very first head, accidentally printed with every single possible accessory. I need to do something with this absolute atrocity

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

Perfectly fine for almost everyone who is worth playing with

I just played a game against a blood angels player who proxied three different horus heresy dreads as a bunch of weird blood angels dreadnoughts, it was fine but halfway through the game a GW copyright lawyer bust through the door and sued both of us for crimes against warhammer, I am now homeless and living on the street.

Actually it was totally fine, I don't even know what these dumb blood angels dreadnoughts look like :cool:

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Bohemian Nights posted:

Also, this was my first experience with blender, so the first stl files I exported weren't.. quite representative of what they looked like in blender, so here's the very first head, accidentally printed with every single possible accessory. I need to do something with this absolute atrocity

stick in on the sergeant of whatever the most tacticool phobos unit is

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

iospace posted:

Stand in.

GW explicitly recommends using HH units as stand-ins for 40k units

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Improbable Lobster posted:

GW explicitly recommends using HH units as stand-ins for 40k units

That's a surprise!

More so given the price difference.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

It doesn't surprise me at all once I realized that all the models for Horus Heresy are made by the exact same company that make all of the models for Warhammer 40,000. :eng101:

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Very unfair of them to let horus heresy hog all the bayonets though.

40K guards should be allowed some knives on their guns too.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Are Leviathan dreads about the same size as redemptors? That would be a pretty easy swap and I doubt anyone would have issue with it.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Dreadnoughts are on bases, so that's not even an issue.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

My question is, is the new Leviathan dread the same size or bigger than the old Leviathan dread?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The Demilich posted:

My question is, is the new Leviathan dread the same size or bigger than the old Leviathan dread?

It's the exact same. It's a direct translation of the resin kit into plastic. It just has more parts because there are more sub-assemblies where things like the shins could be one piece when cast in resin.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
jesus.

loken vs horus

nah abnett crushed it.
75%

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Safety Factor posted:

It's the exact same. It's a direct translation of the resin kit into plastic. It just has more parts because there are more sub-assemblies where things like the shins could be one piece when cast in resin.

That's awesome to hear. I thought the weapons were enlarged a little bit which led me to wondering if they made the model itself a bit bigger to maybe match the Redemptor.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

jesus.

loken vs horus

nah abnett crushed it.
75%

Some of us just started it.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
sorry

horus rising came out 18 years ago.

its a legal adult

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I think they mean EatD3 not the entire HH series.

also lol @ "Eat D"

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

jesus.

loken vs horus

nah abnett crushed it.
75%

Can you maybe not post things like this in the thread, there's a book thread in BB which I've unbookmarked for this reason

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Yeah, specifically I meant volume 3 here, the one that literally just released.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Can you maybe not post things like this in the thread, there's a book thread in BB which I've unbookmarked for this reason

Seriously

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
my apologies.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
im done.

abnett should be proud he did the thing.
omg cypher?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Halfway through drilling about 50 resin bases for 5mm magnets with a pin vice and I want to die. :nutshot:

Also listening to the end and the death part 3 and yes so far it’s good but dabnetts environment descriptions are starting to remind me a bit of Garth Merenghi.

Mr Teatime fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jan 28, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Mr Teatime posted:

Halfway through drilling about 50 resin bases for 5mm magnets with a pin vice and I want to die. :nutshot:

Also listening to the end and the death part 3 and yes so far it’s good but dabnetts environment descriptions are starting to remind me a bit of Garth Merenghi.

Are they ones you printed or purchased? Some of the providers on MMF have little magnet holes on the bottom of the bases they offer and it is super, super easy. Or is it just a solid resin base? That sounds like a pain. It sounds like such a pain in the rear end I might even try to just use really thin magnets just slightly smaller than the base.