Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
I don’t hate it yet but the internet keeps telling me I shouldn’t watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

TheBizzness posted:

I don’t hate it yet but the internet keeps telling me I shouldn’t watch it.
The Fargo thread would insist that, although it's bad relative to the rest of Fargo, it's still better than most television out there. I'm inclined to agree but everyone's got their tastes and if S4 drops you, at least bail for S5 instead of dropping the show altogether.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Show is OK, Jody Foster is good, ice horror is always good, being so explicit with the spirals and stuff is whatever but Season 1 is so great that I'll take it.

My main complaint is the opening song which is incredibly god loving awful and out of place. Wtf.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped

my bony fealty posted:

My main complaint is the opening song which is incredibly god loving awful and out of place. Wtf.

Billie Eilsh is actually a stellar singer but she writes pop songs for young people (and is a kid herself).

Go listen to Ocean Eyes right now. Tell me that voice (and her older brother's production) isn't something special.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
if u are entertained, then watch the show, play the game. if not, don't

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

The song works fine for me - they've always done moody slow ballads. First season was that southern folk band, and then they did that non-standard Cohen number. Eilsh and her bro rule.

Issue to me is that it's edited like the intro to a hockey game. Quick cuts that slow down and weird cgi. I don't think it's bad for a tv intro - plenty of good shows have mediocre openings, but it is bad for a True Detective intro. It stands out due to how successful and arty the last season's ones have been. Was really a trademark of the series, so it feels like a downstep to see them do something different (which is fine! Could work) but so generic.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Bright Bart posted:

Billie Eilsh is actually a stellar singer but she writes pop songs for young people (and is a kid herself).

Go listen to Ocean Eyes right now. Tell me that voice (and her older brother's production) isn't something special.

I know this which is why it's bizarre that the song is autotune garbage that sounds like discount store O Superman

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Don't forget to schedule your colonoscopy, boomer

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I don't think they could make a villian creepier than Errol Childress but I'd like for them to try.

It's the rapid changes from country bumpkin to cult leader to mad philosopher. From someone who can't help himself to savant architect.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jan 27, 2024

mystes
May 31, 2006

The opening song sounds like scary you would expect a true detective opening song to sound like imo

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

The True Detective Season 5 theme song is just Baby Shark

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

starving in the belly of a whale
its ribs are ceiling beams
its guts are carpeting
I guess we have some time to kill
Opening song and visuals remind me of something that Ryan Murphy would put out.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
aunt petunia is an mi6 operative, founder of the eponymous 12, travis cohle's lover and spiritual guru. you think this can't be a grand conspiracy? heh

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
S1’s theme was the most western poo poo ever which is really silly for a show set in the bayou, but it fit the mood extremely well.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Cranappleberry posted:

aunt petunia is an mi6 operative, founder of the eponymous 12, travis cohle's lover and spiritual guru. you think this can't be a grand conspiracy? heh

It's enough to piss anyone off and become a space scavenger

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Speaking of incongruity, the theme for season 7 should be:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXE2WceZCsQ

I'm only half kidding. I don't have the song stuck in my head or anything. I think it might work depending on how dark or mysterious the season is.

They can fade out after I'm not going to remind you. Or just do the ending.

HootTheOwl posted:

It's enough to piss anyone off and become a space scavenger

Guest appearance by Rick Sanchez

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Cranappleberry posted:

“You know I’ve been up here a long time, seen a lot. Well at first it was just Travis and me, fighting the darkness. In time, others came. Tom Velcoro, Travis’s old friend, and his girl Medea Bezzerides. Some sheriff from the lower 48, Fred Truman. This young kid named Hays. The local pd was useless in those days, couldn’t see the evil inhabiting the place. We knew how to fight it. Everyone called us ‘The True Detectives’ [scoffs]. It was good for a while, had a lot of adventures. Well our last case, the one where everything went bad, that might explain what’s going on out there on the ice.”

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Bright Bart posted:

I enjoy Billie Eilish, I even enjoy Bury a Friend, but I think it's very out of place as the opening credits, especially with the frenetic, chaotic visuals. Maybe that's the point? It's very unsettling, either on purpose or not.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

As far as the opener goes, I'm into it. I'm a little sad that we're not getting the same meshed-visuals the first 3 seasons had but I understand this is a sort of spin-off show so it gets its own sequence. The song being a freakfest of fuckery combined with the fun jerky visuals really nails a vibe that works for me. It's a memorable sequence that makes more sense the further into the season we get without really spoiling anything, which is always welcome. Reminds me a bit of Dark's openers.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I like the life-sized yarn doll and general look of that trailer. It’s the right amount of unsettling, especially when illuminated by flashlights.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I don't actively listen to Billie Eilish but I generally enjoy her music when I hear it. I have a hard time thinking of any intro song that I like after the first few episodes and don't just skip over later, though.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
My thought that despite HBO and this thread calling it season 4 is actually a spin off show because no other season had a subtitle, and the intro isn't using double exposure. it also starts before the major crime

mystes
May 31, 2006

HootTheOwl posted:

My thought that despite HBO and this thread calling it season 4 is actually a spin off show because no other season had a subtitle, and the intro isn't using double exposure. it also starts before the major crime
it's true detective, just not lawful good true detective

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

mystes posted:

it's true detective, just not lawful good true detective

Is they were good detectives they would have solved it back in 95

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
I saw him. Back in 95. In that burger restaurant. Couldn't tell how tall he was, behind the counter. He was wearing square pants. part of his face was covered.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

Doltos posted:

I have a hard time thinking of any intro song that I like after the first few episodes and don't just skip over later, though.

Breaking Bad and BCS got it exactly right and everyone else should pay attention.

My answer though would be Twin Peaks and S2&3 of the Leftovers.

e: And Game of Thrones when it was good and I was excited to see this week's map.

e2: I like the music in this season

Snowmanatee
Jun 6, 2003

Stereoscopic Suffocation!
My favourite theory from some random Reddit comment is Danvers is the one catfishing Hank. “Fantasy football” yeah right.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Snowmanatee posted:

My favourite theory from some random Reddit comment is Danvers is the one catfishing Hank. “Fantasy football” yeah right.

Is he getting catfished? Or just scammed

Snowmanatee
Jun 6, 2003

Both? I mean, a beautiful Russian woman could technically be scamming him without catfishing him, but the two generally go hand in hand.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

HootTheOwl posted:

Is he getting catfished? Or just scammed

It’s supposed to seem obvious that he’s getting scammed, but the joke is that Jodie Foster is constantly looking at her phone notifications and giving excuses because she’s actually the one catfishing him as a petty cruelty.

It is honestly odd that her phone use is visible like that. I had wondered if she’s actually the mine’s inside man and was brought in to start meddling because of how the Annie K investigation went.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

HootTheOwl posted:

I don't think "starts after the major crime" defines the series because (to memory, which is bad) both Season 1 and 3 start before and after major crimes; it's a matter of the new crime digging up the old crime (a cold case,) which this season does in fact do. I don't think Season 2 had a cold case.

That said, upon looking up some stuff about Season 2 to figure this out, I remembered there was a big scene at an orgy. Was that scene a tracking shot? I'm trying to google if it's a oner and am finding nothing... and I don't feel like looking the scene up.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jan 28, 2024

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Where are your Lebrons?

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

DaveKap posted:

I don't think "starts after the major crime" defines the series because (to memory, which is bad) both Season 1 and 3 start before and after major crimes; it's a matter of the new crime digging up the old crime (a cold case,) which this season does in fact do. I don't think Season 2 had a cold case.

That said, upon looking up some stuff about Season 2 to figure this out, I remembered there was a big scene at an orgy. Was that scene a tracking shot? I'm trying to google if it's a oner and am finding nothing... and I don't feel like looking the scene up.

season 2 had a cold case, the blue diamond theft, that tied into the present day

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

rear end-PEN

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

I AM GRANDO posted:

rear end-PEN

lmfao. I like season 2 more than most and Farrel being a drunk slob was a highlight.

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

starving in the belly of a whale
its ribs are ceiling beams
its guts are carpeting
I guess we have some time to kill
Succession opening theme is a jam and I would not dare even hover over the skip button

Snowmanatee
Jun 6, 2003

Thought I’d give the official podcast a shot since I loved the Foundation companion podcast, and am sorry to report it kinda sucks. There’s one being released for each episode, but they’re not about the episode that just aired at all. So far it’s been nothing but overly produced press tour style interview soundbites about the extreme broad strokes of the characters and production. In the first two I listened to I don’t think they brought up a single specific scene.

For context, the Foundation podcast was co-hosted by showrunner David Goyer and each week they had a different guest from the production side or an actor, and they had a real rear end conversation (not edited interview) that managed to cover general series background stuff and also get into the weeds of behind the scenes details from that week’s episode. It seemed so effortless I guess it set unrealistic expectations for what these official companion podcasts were like.

Snowmanatee fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jan 28, 2024

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Most surprising part of the second episode for me was meeting Kate. When she's mentioned in the first I got the impression that she's some outwardly villianous mine exec. Buy it just seems there's a lot of bad blood there. They better make it pay off.

The scamming was too much. As was Hank bullying Danvers in front of the precinct. (She really takes that?) And if they set it up so that Peter finally stands up to his dad in the end I'm going to yell HACKS, YOU F*CKIN' HACKS at the sreen.

fullroundaction posted:

e: And Game of Thrones when it was good and I was excited to see this week's map.

Seasons 1 and 2 were outstanding. Especially the cut to Stannis as the quasi- main protagonist (lol) in the second after only hearing about him in the first. And Theon's time in Winterfell. The rest was okay until like midway through 5 or maybe 6 but the only real highlight was the trailer for SE04.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Snowmanatee posted:

oh no, now I really want to see this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

I AM GRANDO posted:

rear end-PEN

that's a boy's name?