Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

gradenko_2000 posted:

what the gently caress? how does that happen?

As cars get safer for their occupants and enforcement ceases, there is less and less incentive to learn how to operate your vehicle properly, so many people just don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Ensign Expendable posted:

As cars get safer for their occupants and enforcement ceases, there is less and less incentive to learn how to operate your vehicle properly, so many people just don't.
nobody ever rtfm

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
also all education is turning to poo poo and that includes drivers ed

moreover, free croup

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Ensign Expendable posted:

Look, the driver was fine! Functioning as intended.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

fermun posted:

probably old. they're driving an automatic, at 8 seconds in they take their foot off the gas, then when they are about to hit the driveway, they go to put their foot on the brake but they accidentally hit the gas, then when the car accelerates they panic and they push harder on the pedal they think is the brake but is actually the accelerator and so they zoom into the garage.

i did this when i was learning to drive. i put a basketball-sized hole in the the drywall. i was so ashamed, i didn't leave my bedroom for a day and during that time my dad came in my room to tell me i was a loser lol

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

https://twitter.com/HuffPostPol/status/1750682027387408746

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Rauros posted:

my dad came in my room to tell me i was a loser lol
:hmmyes:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

good. (it'll never pass)

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

i took a vacation to Japan a few months ago and took trains everywhere. It was awesome.

Okay, a few of those trips were bus trips, a car-alike driven by a professional wearing a hat and white gloves. I think that's forgivable.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

cat botherer posted:

The crazy one was with that guy was just uncontrollably going down a freeway. Called 911 himself, but eventually careened into something and died. WHY DIDN'T HE JUST TURN THE ENGINE OFF?

He was a cop.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Platystemon posted:

He was a cop.

why didnt he just shoot the engine until the car stopped

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Rode my bike today

Came within a hairsbreadth of getting doored. Guy was looking at his phone as he exited the driver's seat of a van.

Besides that I'm pretty happy with getting faster and stronger over time.

mystes
May 31, 2006

This person on reddit got told by their HOA that they couldn't use a completely silent electric scooter because of a rule against unusually loud motorized vehicles:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ElectricScooters/comments/1abdsjl/won_an_appeal_against_my_hoa_for_electric_scooter/

If an electric scooter is "unusually loud" they must definitely not allow cars, right?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Drivers might hate scooters more than bikes.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
hoas, much like cars, should not be permitted

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

don't totally silent vehicles pose a threat to blind people? it's why EVs have a whine

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

i say swears online posted:

don't totally silent vehicles pose a threat to blind people? it's why EVs have a whine

not teslas

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Not just blind people. Pedestrians and cyclists in general use traffic noise more than they realize unless you actually stop and actively think about it

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

even driving i have all four windows down 99% of the time, i feel so much more aware

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

mystes posted:

This person on reddit got told by their HOA that they couldn't use a completely silent electric scooter because of a rule against unusually loud motorized vehicles:

https://www.reddit.com/r/ElectricScooters/comments/1abdsjl/won_an_appeal_against_my_hoa_for_electric_scooter/

If an electric scooter is "unusually loud" they must definitely not allow cars, right?

it's unusually loud in that its loudness isn't in the allowed band of 50-80db, op

e: also my e-bike has fat all-terrain tires which is great for cycling around town because bike infrastructure isn't the best so being able to just ignore poo poo like insanely placed/high curbs or hostile architecture is nice. it doesn't really matter up to like 25-30km/h, though above 30km/h it does cause enough extra drag to be noticeable

however, the fun bit about the tires is that they're loving loud. on a smooth surface they stop being silent as low as 25km/h, but the real deal starts at like 50, and 60-80km/h the bike sounds like a goddamn stuka it owns so much lmao

Truga has issued a correction as of 18:30 on Jan 27, 2024

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

the driver tears will fill an ocean lmao

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Bikes are pretty quiet. I have to look for them with my eyes, and people don't hear me coming on one. Scooters are essentially the same thing.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Comedy option: California passes a law requiring speed governors but then the supreme court says speed limits are unconstitutional

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Bikes are pretty quiet. I have to look for them with my eyes, and people don't hear me coming on one. Scooters are essentially the same thing.
maybe we need mandatory spoke beads or baseball cards

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Fitzy Fitz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EfsOlQa8fw

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

here's one more appropriate for this thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uxSGH4yJXo

Apr 7, 2003

evil_bunnY posted:

the driver tears will fill an ocean lmao

It won’t go anywhere because the prevailing narrative is that faster is safer. People will argue that folks driving the speed limit are a hazard because people doing 30 over don't have time to react.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

even driving i have all four windows down 99% of the time, i feel so much more aware

im seeing a lot of people driving in full-on headphones now lol

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

im seeing a lot of people driving in full-on headphones now lol

i see people riding bikes like this and i'm just like "surely there's better ways to kill yourself dude???"

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Fitzy Fitz posted:

It's a real problem. Maybe there should be mandatory looking with your eyes if using a vehicle on public roads

Apr 7, 2003

Philadelphia and Pittsburgh are facing massive transit cuts. Pittsburgh in particular has less than half the bus routes it had in 2000. The federal government is helping out by stepping in and spending $142m to alleviate flooding in a 700 foot section of highway.

https://www.cbsnews.com/pittsburgh/video/i-376-to-get-142-million-in-federal-funding-to-fix-bathtub-and-other-issues/

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I saw such a weird accident the other day that I haven't been able to stop thinking about it.

Regular four-way intersection with a stop light. The bottom car had crashed into the lightpole, and also had some damage to its rear. The top car was, at the time, scraped up against the bottom one, also over the curb, but had not hit anything with the front bumper.

Neither car was even close to being able to left turn onto the road going south, and I have no idea how the top car even got involved. Are drivers okay?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Same. I have to put the windows up sometimes for a call, and looking at the speedometer is sometimes a wtf situation without the road and air noise.

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Not just blind people. Pedestrians and cyclists in general use traffic noise more than they realize unless you actually stop and actively think about it

Now I'm wondering if every vehicle should be required to make a sort of ping noise at a regular interval with the volume determined by weight. Doppler effect lets you know how fast it's going and from what direction, the volume lets you know the difference between someone's electric bike and 4 ton electric hummer.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

That Crane bell is the same as on my partner's bike. The dog is now downstairs, I presume staring at the bike and waiting for a run. Good job.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
So take the dog for a run.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Trabisnikof posted:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Nettle Soup posted:

That Crane bell is the same as on my partner's bike. The dog is now downstairs, I presume staring at the bike and waiting for a run. Good job.

lol owned

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

I have one of these on my e-bike, it owns

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Rochallor posted:

Are drivers okay?

no

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
lmfao

https://twitter.com/mayormcginn/status/1751074807418880229

moreover, free croup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

I guess we've gone from "5mph over the limit is ok" to "20mph over the limit is ok"?