Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

KirbyKhan posted:

I liked the one with John Cena and the Glorbo Star Monster because it was a fun movie

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

John Cena is incredibly charismatic and i enjoyed the peacemaker show a lot

indigi posted:

he's probably the best at that niche. I can't think of anyone better. he can be alternately threatening and badass, competent, silly, endearing, laughable, emotional (light), and knows just how to deliver a line. he's like when The Rock used to allow himself to be the butt of jokes rather than having "I can never lose a fight" written into all his deals

I have to post when peacemaker comes up. I really enjoyed the peacemaker series and The Suicide Squad was a lot of fun. I never really watched anything else with John Cena in it before, I always figured he was just kind of a jock smart rear end guy but he's quite the renaissance man. A muscular clown that can play the piano, make you empathize with him while he cries on the floor and root for him when he's beating up bad guys while delivering comedy lines.

I was not prepared to become sentimental about glam rock but that is what has happened. You could say James Gunn relies a little too much on music but more times than not it really works for me.
The scenes that stick in my head because the music is such a part: bar scene from the suicide squad ("can't sleep" song), the "I don't love you anymore" song scene from peacemaker and the "Six Feet Under" Scene from peacemaker.

I really hope the second season of Peacemaker is as good.

I've been waiting for someone to post this in here. I kind of wish they hadn't shown so much in the trailer, showing the jokes that would have been better to see cold, but it looks like a fun time, I'll definitely check it out.

also, it's nice seeing some of you encounter Black Rain for the first time, I was there 3000 years ago :unsmith:

UFOTacoMan has issued a correction as of 16:25 on Jan 27, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Grey Fox posted:

I hadn't heard of it either but this poster sold me

I watched Rising Sun for the first time last year or so when the Sean Connery senpai clip was making rounds online and it was a fun watch as a lookback to 90s midbudget action. It also has a great moment where the characters are oooohing and ahhhhing "next-generation" video editing tools

Black Rain is an OK movie.

Try Mercury Rising too.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
James Gunn is good and I hope his DC vision is good. Sorry haters

my_custom_username
Nov 30, 2023

loquacius posted:

Watched about half of Flower Moon tonight. This is a pretty hosed-up true story!

Also I cannot believe that this movie is only about half over. Scorsese really doesn't let people edit his films anymore huh

It's insanely long but I think it helps with creating this feeling of constant dread and suffering with no end in sight, it adds to weight of the situation with of the Osage and helps show just how evil and meticulous these guys were. De Niro in this is one of the most casually evil people I've ever seen in a movie

my_custom_username
Nov 30, 2023

That is 100% Lily Gladstone's Oscar btw, don't think there's any debate there

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Sean Connery telling Wesley Snipes to call him his Senpai and Snipes saying he doesn’t know Senpai from Apple Pie is one of those things that will stay in my head until I die.

Also, the Michael Crichton novel it was based on was way, way more racist apparently

after jurassic park crichton wrote some weird self indulgent poo poo like disclosure where what if a MAN got sexually harassed??? makes u think!

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

after jurassic park crichton wrote some weird self indulgent poo poo like disclosure where what if a MAN got sexually harassed??? makes u think!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34WwXUlx7E4

Made a movie about that too!

Clip-On Fedora has issued a correction as of 17:48 on Jan 27, 2024

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

i think i mention it like every six months but ifn you're in a Crichton mood please check out Looker (1981), it's a fun and twisty thriller with some high concept sci fi and i never thought it got enough attention

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoT-r1slAZ4

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
just had a dumb guy moment where i realized that the final scene in blade runner where roy batty is staring at deckard but eventually saves him mirrors the V-K test "why arent you helping" question in the first scene, thats probably just something everyone simply picks up on the first time they see it, right?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The only thing I know about this movie is from Big Mouth

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

ram dass in hell posted:

sandler is good again. if u dont like hubie halloween i think u can get the gently caress out. looking forward to whatever this is.

Hustle was rly good

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

yes

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Al! posted:

just had a dumb guy moment where i realized that the final scene in blade runner where roy batty is staring at deckard but eventually saves him mirrors the V-K test "why arent you helping" question in the first scene, thats probably just something everyone simply picks up on the first time they see it, right?

If you don't get it on the first viewing it means you're an android. They're real, and you're one of them

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I've always thought that an android that can't think its way around "what would a sentimental meatbag say about this dumb turtle" is too stupid to get to the point where you'd have to ask the question

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

indigi posted:

I've always thought that an android that can't think its way around "what would a sentimental meatbag say about this dumb turtle" is too stupid to get to the point where you'd have to ask the question

another way to look at it is, that in that setting killing animals is so taboo, because so few real ones are left on earth, that you'd have a big reaction if you were human. but if all you've known are c-beams and tanhauser gates or whatever even the concept of an animal is so foreign to you, you probably don't even know what a turtle is or looks like

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Clip-On Fedora posted:

“Shempai”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wG1Q-qvC1F0

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

UFOTacoMan posted:

also, it's nice seeing some of you encounter Black Rain for the first time, I was there 3000 years ago :unsmith:

Yea it's solid mid tier Ridley from what I recall

my_custom_username posted:

That is 100% Lily Gladstone's Oscar btw, don't think there's any debate there

Rip Josh, that's one dude who ain't rocking

Does Piccolo ever catch a break? I tapped out during the majin buu storyline

Al! posted:

Don't feel dumb, I never considered that obvious parallel until now lol

indigi posted:

As a dockworker I'm compelled to express my solidarity with Leon - he's just nervous and overthinking it! Because he knows what he is and what the test is for, and is dumb enough to believe Voight-Kampf's lie; that these questions can accurately identify unpersons to be killed.

The questions obviously wouldn't always get the same answers for natural born people anyways, no more than they would robots (compare Rachel's confident and normal answers to Leon's panicking ones). There's a reason Deckard is too chicken poo poo to take the test himself!

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

awkward_turtle
Oct 26, 2007
swimmer in a goon sea

Al! posted:

another way to look at it is, that in that setting killing animals is so taboo, because so few real ones are left on earth, that you'd have a big reaction if you were human. but if all you've known are c-beams and tanhauser gates or whatever even the concept of an animal is so foreign to you, you probably don't even know what a turtle is or looks like

In the book the question is more weighty, because living creatures are objects of essentially religious investment to the point where it's a point of pride and aspirational goal to have a robot dog. Just seeing a turtle would provoke a huge reaction from a human, even more so seeing one suffer. The replicants don't have souls and are more directly cruel, from what I can remember (it's been like 15 years) they have essentially no redeeming characteristics. The best lines in the whole thing were invented for the movie, which delves a lot more into the "enslaved thinking machine" aspect and a lot less into the "nature of self and what it means to have a soul" aspects of the original story.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
yeah, the electric sheep story is a good one (Phillip k dick fuckin owns) but the movie really reinvented it in a unique way, a real all along the watchtower and/or hurt situation

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Al! posted:

The replicants have enough human memories to think they're naturally born, and enough mental capacity to figure out that they came up off an assembly line. Leon doesn't recognize the word tortoise, but he does know what turtles are. His girlfriend has a pet snake!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Blood Boils posted:

The replicants have enough human memories to think they're naturally born, and enough mental capacity to figure out that they came up off an assembly line. Leon doesn't recognize the word tortoise, but he does know what turtles are. His girlfriend has a pet snake!

yeah she does. Leon's.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!

UFOTacoMan posted:

I was not prepared to become sentimental about glam rock but that is what has happened. You could say James Gunn relies a little too much on music but more times than not it really works for me.

no rules just tools baby

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

:3:

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

piccolo deserves better

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Ok finished Killers of the Flower Moon. Kinda wanna read the book now. I don't usually do well with nonfiction but I've heard it reads like a novel at least

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Why DID Mollie's mom buy all that meat though

They never answered that question

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

loquacius posted:

Why DID Mollie's mom buy all that meat though

They never answered that question

Search your heart.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Me, to my wife, after watching Killers of the Flower Moon: I promise I'll never let myself be manipulated or browbeaten into arranging the murders of several of your family members

My wife: yeah I'd be the one telling you to do it

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Search your heart.

*thinking as hard as I can* she was just extremely hungry

loquacius has issued a correction as of 04:18 on Jan 28, 2024

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
that sounds like some major spoilers

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

ymgve posted:

it's a true story there's no such thing as spoilers, only history lessons

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

ymgve posted:

It's just my personal theory as to why Mollie's mom bought all that meat. We may never know the real reason

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

it's a true story there's no such thing as spoilers, only history lessons

Lol a friends exboyfriend once threatened to kick my rear end for 'spoiling' the riot at the end of Gangs of New York

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

AnimeIsTrash posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDhomtxiT3c

this was pretty cool

moreover, free croup

this is a cool channel, thanks for sharing. i feel extremely dumb when it comes to photography and digital artisty stuff. like 99.98% of photoshop just goes woosh for me

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Finally watched Edge of Tomorrow and it was sick. The CGI looked surprisingly good and has held up well considering it's 10 years old now.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Finally watched Edge of Tomorrow and it was sick. The CGI looked surprisingly good and has held up well considering it's 10 years old now.

it's good

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

MeatwadIsGod posted:

easily one one of my favorite movies of the 2010s, top 5. ive seen it like 6 times which i rarely re-watch movies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
edge of tomorrow kicks rear end, Tom cruise is goated