Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

drrockso20 posted:

the default folder structure Retroid creates is weird, like it bothers separating the original and color versions for the Neo Geo Pocket and WonderSwan

To be fair every device I’ve used does this, it’s not unique to Retroid.

drrockso20 posted:

but doesn't include a folder for the PC Engine CD

I’ve never owned a Retroid but it could be called “turbografxcd” instead? Don’t mean to school you if you’re already aware but these NEC systems had different names internationally and I always find it confusing which folder to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Froist posted:

To be fair every device I’ve used does this, it’s not unique to Retroid.

I’ve never owned a Retroid but it could be called “turbografxcd” instead? Don’t mean to school you if you’re already aware but these NEC systems had different names internationally and I always find it confusing which folder to use.

Nah I'm familiar with different devices using different naming schemes for their ROM folders, Retroid's is actually probably the most straightforward I've ever seen as it just says plainly what system each folder is for, it just doesn't include a separate folder for PCECD even though it does for say SEGACD or 32X from Genesis

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

drrockso20 posted:

Still figuring out getting everything setup properly with my RP4P, not very experienced with doing this on an Android device and I don't think anyone has done up a 4 specific guide yet(and I'm unsure how much things have changed from the 3+ or 2S to just use a guide for those), also the default folder structure Retroid creates is weird, like it bothers separating the original and color versions for the Neo Geo Pocket and WonderSwan but doesn't include a folder for the PC Engine CD and indeed is missing quite a few systems in its selection

The hardware is really nice but I'm definitely remembering why I had previously given up on using Android for anything emulation related, it's just a lot more of a pain in the rear end to get setup than any Linux based device that has a CFW available for it

Joey's handhelds put out an RP4P specific setup guide that can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UW8sg7lQC0k

MjolnirStone's 3+ general setup guide is still relevant, even if the emulator specific settings are a lot less so in general.

Android is more fiddly at startup but a little guidance goes a long way. A lot of it is just knowing where to grab the emulators, how to setup a frontend if you want one, etc. If you're on Retroid's Discord server someone can probably help there too.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Yeah that guide as well as these from RetroGameCorp are what I'm planning on using
- Android Emulation Starter Guide
- Ultimate ROM Compression Guide
- Retroid Pocket Starter Guide
- RetroArch Starter Guide

I'm planning on using Daijisho as the front end
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-AhfEGuMao

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Also specifically re:AetherSX2 there's a project called NetherSX2 that fixes up the last 2 good versions of the release

NetherSX2 - Will patch up AetherSX2 version 4248, stripping ads and fixing up a bunch of stuff
NetherSX2 Classic - Will patch up AetherSX2 version 3668, and do the same above bug fixes

As the AetherSX2 project is dead apparently some PS2 games will work better on 3668 than they will on 4248; and vice versa
It might get a bit fidly AFAIK they both use the same package name, and I haven't fiddled around with the renamer yet to check that you can have both installed at the same time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2y3uRlYq4SY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZDbDcASu14

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
I've discovered in pulling back out my RP2+ that the client for GeForce Now no longer is supported on that Android version or something - any idea of other handhelds that can work GFN?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The Retroid Pocket 4, or basically any recent Android handheld.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
If the new version of GFN stops supporting older version of Android, you can find the old GFN apk in the usual places.

GFN free tier used to be very easy to get in 2 years ago. I played almost a whole game of The Crew 2 on it. Now the wait queue is much longer.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Does anybody have a FunKey S sitting in a drawer that they want to get rid of? I've decided that I want one sitting in my drawer but it's a little pricey with the conversion rate from CAD to euros right now

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
That funny looking thing that someone posted a picture of a week or two ago is a new Atari handheld that just debuted at CES. Lol.

https://www.yankodesign.com/2024/01...onic-games/amp/

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah I kinda became more curious about it when I heard it was an official Atari thing, which says something to how Atari's improved lately.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
It's a good looking device to collect.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Interested in how that trackball feels

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

hatty posted:

Interested in how that trackball feels

I wonder how well Golden Tee will run.
**me launching the new atari handheld into the television**

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It doesn't seem possible to actually use that thing with human hands

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

RestingB1tchFace posted:

That funny looking thing that someone posted a picture of a week or two ago is a new Atari handheld that just debuted at CES. Lol.
Why would I want a proprietary handheld (at least, a non-Nintendo one) in 2024?

Even if you want to be totally legitimate about it, I'd imagine a Steam Deck (or Switch even) + Atari 50 would be a better experience.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

RP4 Pro should arrive Monday (Technically it should arrive today, but it's a public holiday here in Aus :negative:)

Going through and sorting roms to put on the SD card is literal hell.

I did make sure to download The Frog For Whom The Bell Tolls, the precursor to Link's Awakening as I've never played it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwhVaYQ987M

Need some advice tho

Currently on 3DS files and it looks like there's a way to unpack the CIA files for the base game+updates+DLC files, merge them, and then repack them down to a single CIA file; but holy poo poo that's going to take some effort.
Does anyone have a good tutorial for this? Or a utility to automate it?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I've never seen it done properly, not worth the effort and it's not how the 3ds was really designed to run them imho

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Infinitum posted:

Going through and sorting roms to put on the SD card is literal hell.

If you’re like other people and have a zip file with a million roms for each system, starting out using custom searches helps with a lot of the chaff. Start with countries and languages you don’t want like Japan, France, whatever, then work your way into finding betas, old versions, etc.

Helped me thin my libraries down significantly before scrolling through to handpick and manually delete.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Nah it's less that and more renaming stuff and finding what games I want to put onto it, without going overboard.

Speaking of, is it worth splitting arcade games out to MAME/Naomi/Final Burn/etc? or just dump em into the to one folder for Retroarch?

kirbysuperstar posted:

I've never seen it done properly, not worth the effort and it's not how the 3ds was really designed to run them imho

Can you just install updates+DLC directly to the file in Citra? If so that's easy enough to setup and be done with it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Infinitum posted:

Can you just install updates+DLC directly to the file in Citra? If so that's easy enough to setup and be done with it.

Citra has a "Install CIA" option that handles games/DLC/updates. I keep my stuff organized so I have /roms/nintendo/3ds/ and then I have games/ which has any xci and cias, updates/ with the obvious and dlc/ with also the obvious.

The only tedious thing is if a game has like 600 DLCs, Citra Android only does one at a time, I think on a PC you can select a bunch to do in a batch.

Also make sure you use github Citra not the years ancient bad Play Store version.

jkq
Nov 26, 2022
Does Citra Android have a way to set per-game config, like the screen layout?

When I touch-and-hold on a title, it brings me to a screen for entering cheats.

I'm using a version from ~last week's git.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

It does not.

https://github.com/citra-emu/citra/issues/6382

jkq
Nov 26, 2022

Bummer. Thanks for the link!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

the lack of individual settings for some emulators is why I tend to look at ps2/gc/3ds emulation as what I can run without issue out of the box, and then the rest is dumpstered. i don't want to be constantly going into the settings every 30 seconds to tweak and check and tweak and check (which is what I was doing with Grandia 3)

the retroid 3+/flip compatibility sheet has several 3DS games listed as "great" or "perfect" and... i just know that ain't going to be true. but if i can at least run a couple out of the box without issue then i might catch up on a couple of games i didn't finish. having the Flip with a grip has made holding a 3DS feel so much clunkier

jkq
Nov 26, 2022

The 7th Guest posted:

the lack of individual settings for some emulators is why I tend to look at ps2/gc/3ds emulation as what I can run without issue out of the box, and then the rest is dumpstered. i don't want to be constantly going into the settings every 30 seconds to tweak and check and tweak and check (which is what I was doing with Grandia 3)

Doesn't Dolphin have per-game settings though?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Fairly sure it does, Aether/Nether certainly does at least

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Well, I finally have in my hands what claims to be the ultimate in third party retro consoles.
The Playmaji Polymega.
So far I've installed about 40 games onto it from CDs. Relatively no problems there.
I've installed... 8 cartridge games. Ghouls and Ghosts for the Genesis froze it up about 6x where I had to reboot. Uninvited for NES did the same. It does not recognize Tengen Gauntlet as a game, which was an issue except that you can resolve by matching what it is in the database. I threw a 2TB WD green nvme in it which is overkill by far because your average Sega CD / PS1 game takes 300-500 mb to install to the system.

The database is kind of neat.
So here's the oddities:
*The newest system update breaks a lot of stuff and causes a lot of crashes based on reports.
*Without updating the system right out of the box, the element modules (cartridge slots) don't work at all.
*Lots of system freezes so far. I even just got one installing a sega cd game.
*Default controller is a playstation controller copy. I guess some people like that, but I am straight up xbox.
*Doesn't work with everdrives
*Does seem to work with MD Flash carts which I have had some hit and misses. I've had a couple of boards which don't seem to work despite working fine in my real Genesis(es)

Hopefully they will get the kinks out. Right now at the landed cost of something like $800 it's not an advised buy.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Oof. Really glad I skipped it now. Seems that even after all the delays it's not ready.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Hasn't the Polymega been out for a few years now? If so that's really concerning it still has the issues it does

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Can you use online roms install of ripping them yourself?

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Azubah posted:

Oof. Really glad I skipped it now. Seems that even after all the delays it's not ready.

I absorb the pain so you don't have to.

shyduck posted:

Hasn't the Polymega been out for a few years now? If so that's really concerning it still has the issues it does

Technically. They blame covid for their supply chain and manufacturing issues but their company just sucks taint at communication and expectation management. I am highly critical of them over on Reddit where there is a subreddit in which I basically yell at Playmaji for the above taint sucking.

stephenthinkpad posted:

Can you use online roms install of ripping them yourself?

So at this time there is no way to dump roms on there. I have used a few methods.
#1 is using physical carts I have laying around. I can't find my SNES games so they are in a storage crate somewhere. I put 19 NES and 35 Genesis games on it last night.
#2 is burned discs. Sega CD(25), Turbo CD(6), Saturn(11), PS1(3). I ran out of blank CDs last night. I don't trust any console enough to put my real copies of Snatcher or Final Fight CD into it.
#3 is Flash carts. I have a RetroStage flash cart system which will flash Sega Genesis, SNES, NES, Gameboy of all flavors, N64, etc. I need to get a few boards and adapters for it. I also have an older Krikzz MD flash cart setup with like 10 boards/ cartridges. Last night I found myself spending more time waiting for it to flash than it takes to install the game into the Polymega. If you have 2 people have one flash the games, hand them to the 2nd person and load them.
Loading the games from cartridge is almost instantaneous. Literally less than a second to dump the carts.
I put a 2TB NVME in it and I have 1.979 TB free. I may have overkilled it.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

otter posted:

I put a 2TB NVME in it and I have 1.979 TB free. I may have overkilled it.

Big oof

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

500gb - $38
1tb - $60
2tb - $99 on sale. Meh.

I think the biggest ouch of the whole thing is that I also bought an Analogue Duo, which is more or less unnecessary entirely now. I mean, technically most of the systems I have are unnecessary but the Duo more so than the others. If they had the openfpga thing running on the duo it would also do all the things and make the polymega unnecessary.

otter fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jan 27, 2024

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Lol yeah. I ordered a duo thinking I could snag some games once it was released and all the local retro shops have nothing.

I also got a mister while I waited so it's even more useless.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Azubah posted:

Lol yeah. I ordered a duo thinking I could snag some games once it was released and all the local retro shops have nothing.

I also got a mister while I waited so it's even more useless.

I have an older type of HU Flash card, which similar to the MDFlash you load one game at a time onto it.
That works in the Duo, and I will be using it to load a bunch of tg16 games to the Polymega once I get done with all these cd installs. I went out and found my SNES games so at least I can put those on there today.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
The polymega doesn't really interest me that much, but their light gun does.

Does anyone know if it will work with the mister or other systems?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

yoloer420 posted:

Actually. That reminds me.

I'm looking to get a light gun for my PS1 and PS2. Is there a 3rd party one that works for both GunCon 1 and 2 games? Being able to consolidate accessories would be neato.

This is on a CRT.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

yoloer420 posted:

This is ALMOST at a price point where I would get one. Would it work with retroarch?

Edit: oh there it is in the description

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the polymega gun is just using sindens light gun tech, and it's no cheaper than sindens own version that does work with PC emulators