Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

STONE COLD 64 posted:

no, like who you like, there is no shame.

yeah I'm just giving you a hard time, Thrashula, like whoever :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
House of Torture are fun heels in the sense that it's really satisfying when they get their comeuppance but they can be annoying on the Road To shows cause they just do the same stuff a lot :)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Count Thrashula posted:

Evil... TURNED heel? I'm gonna have to read up on the history of that guy if he wasn't always a heel with his schtick

He was part of LIJ and so turned babyface when the rest of that group did in about 2018 or so? He was basically babyface Undertaker, spooky druid gear, grim reaper scythe, just better in the ring.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
My biggest issue with HoT is that in order for their schtick to work they make their opponents look like complete goobers, this is what really sucked about the SANADA feud.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Taffy Torpedo posted:

My biggest issue with HoT is that in order for their schtick to work they make their opponents look like complete goobers, this is what really sucked about the SANADA feud.

Yep it really hurt SANADA.

Although I think Kaito and Shota managed to look pretty good in the feud so I guess it depends. It didn't evil knicked the title for what felt like months

But that feud was an absolute low point for sanada

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

The main reason I don't like HoT is I liked almost every member before they got this gimmick. I never liked Yujiro but every other one was in my top half of NJPW guys (well, not Togo, but he was cool in NOAH before HoT)

Also every match is the same. It's definitely an act that would probably be fun to boo live but as I'm unlikely to attend New Japan this year I don't even consider that

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
house of torture are more creative ab the new poo poo they do every match than ishii and takagi. prove me wrong.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Fucker posted:

house of torture are more creative ab the new poo poo they do every match than ishii and takagi. prove me wrong.

If it ain't broken then don't fix it. The Ishii match is perfect. The EVIL match is not.

If your creativity is endless ref bumps and crummy garotte and wrench spots, maybe just go back to fundamentals.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I think Sho is creative but EVIL's problem in LIJ was his matched felt samey and jts the same in HOT.

Also the act getting its start as a heavy heat act during clap crowds was really really really dumb

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ishii does the "same" thing in that every match is a masterclass in knowing exactly when to sell and when NOT to sell, and his timing in relation to that elevates his matches every single time to get the absolute most out of the crowd. It's amazing to watch.

House of Torture just do exactly the same thing every single time week after week and the only way for it to "work" is for the referees and their opponents to be the stupidest people on the planet with the memories of goldfish.

Edit: I missed half a page of posts it seems, so let me just double-stress that:

STONE COLD 64 posted:

no, like who you like, there is no shame.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jan 28, 2024

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Ishii just having like his bog standard phone it in road to trios match being like a 3.9 stars match makes me think he's doing something right by repeating it.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I don't mind heel factions and was mostly fine when BC was interfering with matches more, but HOT is boring in their tricks and they mostly serve to make their opponents and refs look very dumb and blind. I understand why they are popular with live crowds but I am very over HOT. I even like Sho and EVIL individually, just tired of the current thing.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Okay, here's my thoughts on WK18 as someone just getting into NJPW and not really knowing any (okay well most) of these wrestlers.

My first impressions are 1) the in ring technicality is huge, and I'm loving the shoot/strong/whatever style compared to western wrestling. And 2) the in ring storytelling is also huge! Like I said I didn't really know anyone on the card, but after one match I felt like understood feuds going on just from how they interacted in the ring.

KOPW Rambo --- this was a cool sampler platter to start off the event. It gave me a good taste of what I was getting into, but I don't feel like I got a really good insight on anyone in particular. But it set up some of the stables that I could keep an eye out for later. And Great O Khan is cool so I'm excited to see more of him.

IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Match --- okay, so... This was a fun match, but maybe my least favorite of the night. TJPs Aswang gimmick kind of fell flat with me, and Maloney/Connors kind of just felt like yet another copy of The Gunns or The Young Bucks or whatever. Okay, not great.

Tanahashi/Sabre, Uemura/Tsuji, HOT/Umino+Kiyomiya --- my kid was wanting attention during these three so I'll need to rewatch them. I remember them being good but only caught bits and pieces.

NEVER Openweight match --- Tonga was a blast to watch. Really solid match full of big ol meat slaps.

Winner Takes All Tag Match --- oh HELL yeah, I'm excited to watch more of the Guerillas, El P and Hikuleo. Even these mid card matches are still so fun.

IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Match --- Now we're starting to fuckin cook. This kicked rear end, and both wrestlers showed huge athleticism and just kept going until they could barely stand. You love to see it.

IWGP Global Heavyweight 3way --- this one was for the sickos and I WAS ABSOLUTELY LOVING IT. Definitely felt like I was watching AEW, totally unsurprisingly, but man all three of them were just on top of their game, and I can't wait to see more of Mox and Ospreay on AEW now that Will is over there. Blood, tables, chairs, I loved it.

Okada/Danielson --- hands down match of the night for me. This match and the next match were prime examples of in ring storytime, telling you all you need to know about their feud, about grudges for past injuries, etc. I was on the edge of my seat for this whole match and couldn't look away. It was insanely good.

IWGP World Heavyweight match --- this was an emotional one. I'd seen a YouTube video on Naito's history, and THIS is how you do an end-of-career run and the crowd was POPPING the entire time. Knowing the history of how Naito went from being booed to now having stadium full "NAITO" chants, you can't help but just grin ear to ear watching it. And then the post-match saving from SANADA and the respect shown. Again, it's just incredible storytelling without the need for promo cutting.

I know this is kind of rambly and probably just static in the thread but thanks everyone who's been helping to primer me on this promotion. I'm excited to catch up on named shows since WK and keep watching going forward.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The post main event angle was so good and I got worked so hard on it lamo. Just a real good piece of business

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Count Thrashula posted:

I know this is kind of rambly and probably just static in the thread but thanks everyone who's been helping to primer me on this promotion. I'm excited to catch up on named shows since WK and keep watching going forward.

Please keep posting your thoughts, it's rare someone joins the thread knowing next to nothing about NJPW and I've really enjoyed reading which matches/wrestlers are resonating with you and your impressions of the promotion as a whole.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

My favorite bit is for no particular reason EVIL squats as he taunts Naito, and then SANADA sliding back in apparently shocks him so much he just happens to drop to one knee and wouldn’t you know it, he got a Shining Wizard for his troubles

I know, it’s wrestling, but EVIL managing to make it about as natural as possible that he’d go from standing to one knee is so perfectly silly.

As for Clark and Drilla, yeah, that’s kind of the modus operandi of Bullet Club Jr. tag teams, to be juvenile assholes. It’s why the Gunns are such a natural fit for the Bang Bang Gang in AEW. The Bucks basically defined that role for tags, and they’re indebted to Prince Devitt, nka Finn Balor, being a punk jackass junior heavyweight who mocked guys as the Real Rock N’ Rolla and founder/leader of Bullet Club.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Wait WHAT? Finn Bálor founded the Bullet Club? I love learning these fun little cross promotion historical things

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah, loving hearing a fresh perspective on New Japan, please keep up posting your thoughts!

Count Thrashula posted:

Wait WHAT? Finn Bálor founded the Bullet Club? I love learning these fun little cross promotion historical things

The leadership of the Bullet Club up until David Finlay is kinda astonishing:

Finn Bálor
AJ Styles
Kenny Omega
Switchblade Jay White

Every single time I thought,"Well they're not gonna be as good as the last guy" and every time they brought something entirely wild and new to the table that made things work. It was great.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Count Thrashula posted:

Wait until you hear about the tragic story of Apollo 55

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
That's insane. I knew there's some obvious overlap of NJPW/AEW Bullet Club stuff but that's a stacked lineage.

I miss Kenny :( while he's out I might get caught up on his run in the Golden Lovers from old VOD stuff.

Edit-- whoops that was most in another promotion in Japan

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Count Thrashula posted:

Okay, here's my thoughts on WK18 as someone just getting into NJPW and not really knowing any (okay well most) of these wrestlers.

My first impressions are 1) the in ring technicality is huge, and I'm loving the shoot/strong/whatever style compared to western wrestling. And 2) the in ring storytelling is also huge! Like I said I didn't really know anyone on the card, but after one match I felt like understood feuds going on just from how they interacted in the ring.

Really enjoy reading people getting into this stuff, especially when they enjoy it, makes me smile.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Every single time I thought,"Well they're not gonna be as good as the last guy"

Well, seems that you are finally being proven correct about that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Germansimp posted:

Well, seems that you are finally being proven correct about that.

Yeah!

...yeah. :sigh:

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
it still works if you consider Gabe Kidd the rightful heir

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I do :hai:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Count Thrashula posted:

That's insane. I knew there's some obvious overlap of NJPW/AEW Bullet Club stuff but that's a stacked lineage.

I miss Kenny :( while he's out I might get caught up on his run in the Golden Lovers from old VOD stuff.

Edit-- whoops that was most in another promotion in Japan

If it's on the updated NJPW World, I'd definitely check out the Lovers vs the Bucks from one of the San Jose shows.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Watched New Years Dash today. Overall, it was fine. The surprise entrances were all fun but the matches ranged from "meh" to "fine", aside from the main event.

Random thoughts:
- The GoD vs. Leube/Nakashima match was a standout. A really fun send-off for Leube and Nakashima, there was a lot of love and heart in that match.
- The 12 man tag match made me understand why people don't like HoT - they were new to me when I watched WK18, but if they're just pulling the same bullshit every time they're in the ring, yeah, I can get why they would get old pretty fast.
- The UE vs. War Dogs match just felt like too much going on after the 12 man tag match. Thankfully it was short, but meh.
- The TMDK vs. Chaos/BCC match ruled and was worth watching the show IMO. Just seeing Bryan Danielson and Zack Sabre Jr. roll and grapple was a delight, and really got me over on TMDK, who I wasn't really into at WK18. Mox/Danielson/Ishii/Okada is an insane tag team, it was great to watch.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Barry Bluejeans posted:

it still works if you consider Gabe Kidd the rightful heir

Only if it turns out he was running BC all along and was just using Finlay as a scapegoat/distraction while he prepared himself to dethrone Naito and become the real champion of Bullet Club.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Germansimp posted:

Only if it turns out he was running BC all along and was just using Finlay as a scapegoat/distraction while he prepared himself to dethrone Naito and become the real champion of Bullet Club.
A scapegoat in Bullet Club you say....

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Watched Battle in the Valley. Mostly folks I didn't know from the last two shows but holy poo poo that Moxley/Takagi match :eyepop:

Absolute sicko poo poo, god drat

Also I JUST developed a love for Okada and today I learn he's leaving :(

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Count Thrashula posted:

Watched Battle in the Valley. Mostly folks I didn't know from the last two shows but holy poo poo that Moxley/Takagi match :eyepop:

Well he's all but certainly going to AEW so he'll likely still show up a couple of times a year in New Japan. Wrestle Kingdom, Forbidden Door. Dominion, maybe.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

im gonna recommend you watch Okada vs Tiger Mask W, my personal favorite of okadas matches and one that dosent get its props.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Count Thrashula posted:

Evil... TURNED heel? I'm gonna have to read up on the history of that guy if he wasn't always a heel with his schtick

the most emotional part of the heel turn wasn’t when he betrayed his stablemate, it was when he attacked the commentator who was his biggest fan :smith:

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Count Thrashula posted:

When you get the time, watch the show Dominion from 2018. Top to bottom good show, but the Okada / Omega match in the main event might be the best pro wrestling match of all time.

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
IMO the Okada/Omega series is best watched in order but I'm a bit biased I loved those matches.

EDIT: for reference in case Count Thrashula wants to watch them that's: Wrestle Kingdom 11, Dominion 2017, G1 Climax 2017 Night 18, Dominion 2018.

Taffy Torpedo fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jan 30, 2024

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

the escape goat posted:

the most emotional part of the heel turn wasn’t when he betrayed his stablemate, it was when he attacked the commentator who was his biggest fan :smith:

...milano and his little plastic scythe... :smith:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

All those recommended Okada matches and no one has yet brought up his actual best match, Sakura Genesis 2017 with Katsuyori Shibata? SHAME

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

forkboy84 posted:

All those recommended Okada matches and no one has yet brought up his actual best match, Sakura Genesis 2017 with Katsuyori Shibata? SHAME

It's just been added to world too.

It's among my favourite okada match (probably number 2 behind okada v naito at wk 14) but the general caveat that shibata injured himself like a loving moron in the match

And some folk do dislike that aspect. In the words of Dave meltzer he did have to get his brain removed afterwards

That said as shibata is now wrestling again it can be enjoyed with less guilt.

If count Thrashula does watch it then here is the context. Shibata left njpw during a difficult period. He returns and has to prove himself against all the people he left behind for redemption.

He then wins the new japan cup and what is left in front of him is the iwgp champion and the man who is njpw in human form the ace Kazuchika Okada.

It's an example of what makes new japan so special when they land a story. It would be I feel difficult in the west to land this with the outcome to the match but it works perfectly here. Even down to shibata almost killing himself against the personification of njpw. A violent tragedy

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I know some argued it was the best match of the year and that year had Omega/Okada 3 and if it wasn't for the injury I could see more people thinking it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
have you considered they took his dang brain out