Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

GateOfD posted:

teacher mao this episode

Mao Laoshi

Pyrotoad posted:

During the pandemic there was a series of information posters from Taiwan that reimagined various diseases as hot anime people and I think that'd be her ideal.

Here's Legionnaire's disease and Dengue fever, for example.

They released a calendar with 12 that were made. I bought one. It's neat.
They've releases two calendars, one for 2020 and 2021 (I got the latter) and there's two artbooks both which are out of print

Link to a listicle of some of them: https://sea.mashable.com/culture/14464/21-diseases-get-turned-into-devilishly-stylish-anime-villains-by-taiwan-cdc

The whole thing started back in 2018 and they've been coming out monthly more or less. It's not just diseases, but also organizations too.
Two of the more recent disease illustrations:
FB link that has a bio and artist credit in Chinese
Link
And one of an organization:
Link

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jan 14, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

God, how short is Maomao? She comes up to Lihaku's solar plexus. He's got two full feet on her at least.

How old is she, actually?

The way he just picked her up by the collar to stop her snooping around, felt like it came straight out of Detective Conan.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

https://twitter.com/kadeart/status/1747564990239051876?t=d9PDfvgDmHGHQ5TC-95GRg&s=19

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Haystack posted:

Yeah, normally with a star-crossed romance like this we'd be getting at least a bit of pining after impossible fruit, but there's been absolutely nothing coming from Maomao's direction. It's particularly noticeable thanks to the contrast with her poison fetish.

Eh...in Pride and Prejudice, Elizabeth thinks Darcy is scum for the first half of the novel.

That's like the most famous star-crossed romance there is, isn't it?

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jan 19, 2024

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's the standard for bodice ripper-style romance novels for the female lead to dislike the male lead at first, and to be won over later by his extreme hotness.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Pride and prejudice had the famous exchange of

When did you fall in love with him?

When I saw the size of his estate.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
Vast tracts of land

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

"I can guarantee you a comfortable life" is not the worst offer. Maomao's the sort to demand to see a full account of all their assets first though.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Just watched the most recent episode. Wow, Lakan went from a likeable eccentric to a truly repulsively evil person fast.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

That person is a fuckin' rollercoaster.

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
At what point was he likable? To this just-anime-watcher, he only ever gave off “will probably be a creep antagonist?” vibes the few times he was shown before today. Unless I’m forgetting scenes.

edit: vvvv ah gotcha!

bitprophet fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jan 21, 2024

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

bitprophet posted:

At what point was he likable? To this just-anime-watcher, he only ever gave off “will probably be a creep antagonist?” vibes the few times he was shown before today. Unless I’m forgetting scenes.

I meant that he was likeable for the couple minutes of his appearance this episode right before he revealed how despicable he was, when he just seemed like a possibly-gay guy who liked playing board games and annoying Jinshi.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Gaoshun is really good at dealing with Maomao's weirdness. He does know how to motivate her and how to keep her on track. That guy is so good at his job.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Oh, look, Jinshi.exe has stopped working and must be restarted. Turns out it's easy for Maomao to break him, even accidentally.

Monocle guy continues to be creepy even more so in this episode.

And, a silly thought: if I would ship anyone in this series it would be Maomao and Gaoshun, 'cause those two know how to work together brilliantly and legit seem to know how the other ticks.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Gaoshun has to anticipate the actions of some very stupid smart people around him, I guess when it comes to Maomao he just turns the propriety filter down about 30% when it comes to predicting how she'll behave.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Hoping that weird monocle guy isn't somehow maomao's biological father :ohdear:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

It seriously looks like Junji Ito drew that face. Amazing.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Hoping that weird monocle guy isn't somehow maomao's biological father :ohdear:

One silver lining to that possibility is that it would elevate Maomao's status from that of a lowly commoner to...the bastard of a high ranking military officer.

Okay, not the most prestigious of social status but surely at least a step up from a commoner. I don't know how not-Imperial China treats bastards or whether they would ever be permitted to inherit any status and titles (especially in this case with Lakan not having any offspring of his own to pass on any inheritance) but it would be a lucrative way Maomao to climb the social ladder. On the other hand, it's one hell of a poison pill (okay, bad analogy given we're talking about Maomao) given how much of an irreprehensible vibe he's given off.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I mean, look at how carefully maomao has to tread with ANYONE because basically she interacts with because basically even the lowest figures in the imperial harem still have a massive power disparity over her. Yeah "my dad is a military officer of some note" is a step up in that regardless of actual material benefits that may or may not come.

Would it actually be worth it with Him Specifically? Very different question.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Random thought. The "La" is Lakan's family name. If Maomao was his and they did the same kind of thing with her name then :lmao:

:v:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Edward IV posted:

(especially in this case with Lakan not having any offspring of his own to pass on any inheritance)
I think there was a mention of his having adopted a nephew or something to solve that issue.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

disposablewords posted:

Random thought. The "La" is Lakan's family name. If Maomao was his and they did the same kind of thing with her name then :lmao:

:v:

Lameo

JK I quite liked this lxiaomao for the win

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Paracelsus posted:

I think there was a mention of his having adopted a nephew or something to solve that issue.

Yes he's turned his household over to his nephew to run and presumably inherit, leaving him more time to do general things and play Go.

Breadmaster
Jun 14, 2010

Saoshyant posted:

Oh, look, Jinshi.exe has stopped working and must be restarted. Turns out it's easy for Maomao to break him, even accidentally.

Monocle guy continues to be creepy even more so in this episode.

And, a silly thought: if I would ship anyone in this series it would be Maomao and Gaoshun, 'cause those two know how to work together brilliantly and legit seem to know how the other ticks.

I don't remember if it has come up in the anime yet but I think Gaoshun has a wife and sons? Presumably before he was made a eunuch

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Saoshyant posted:

Gyokuyou x Jinshi would be the funniest, but also the least possible

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Breadmaster posted:

I don't remember if it has come up in the anime yet but I think Gaoshun has a wife and sons? Presumably before he was made a eunuch

In fact we just met his son, though Maomao hasn't realized who he reminds her of, yet. He even has grandchildren.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Supremezero posted:

In fact we just met his son, though Maomao hasn't realized who he reminds her of, yet. He even has grandchildren.

Oh. Oh no. Oh dear.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Edward IV posted:

One silver lining to that possibility is that it would elevate Maomao's status from that of a lowly commoner to...the bastard of a high ranking military officer.

Okay, not the most prestigious of social status but surely at least a step up from a commoner. I don't know how not-Imperial China treats bastards or whether they would ever be permitted to inherit any status and titles (especially in this case with Lakan not having any offspring of his own to pass on any inheritance) but it would be a lucrative way Maomao to climb the social ladder. On the other hand, it's one hell of a poison pill (okay, bad analogy given we're talking about Maomao) given how much of an irreprehensible vibe he's given off.

reignonyourparade posted:

I mean, look at how carefully maomao has to tread with ANYONE because basically she interacts with because basically even the lowest figures in the imperial harem still have a massive power disparity over her. Yeah "my dad is a military officer of some note" is a step up in that regardless of actual material benefits that may or may not come.

Would it actually be worth it with Him Specifically? Very different question.

So, (recent manga spoilers about Lakan's precise status within the court) Lakan is the head of a notable clan, and holds high esteem due to his military status. However, he lacks high ambitions and is not associated with any court factions. He's generally left to his own devices on account of being an incredibly skilled schemer who is simply not worth the trouble of crossing.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Supremezero posted:

A DILF. Possibly GDILF

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
This week's episode: Do not huff solder. Lakan continues to be shady as hell.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

I really love how much this show is willing to let scenes breath. This entire episode was a single chapter in the second volume. Same thing for the previous episode about the raw fish.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

So kawaii..
Was there a point to the raw fish mystery or is it building anything?
Seems random. Oh it was the obvious brother. Yea it was. The end?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah, that case got resolved. The interesting part was that Lakan kind of played Moriarty there.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

The seaweed/raw fish episode's mystery isn't especially relevant to the overall plot. It was a chance for Laken to get his introduction and for characterization of some of the side folks involved.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

The seaweed/raw fish mystery will come back, though as a minor piece of the overall scheme that Maomao only sees by picking around the edges.

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
I'm only watching the show but there was a second death in the raw fish scenario that will have to come up again in some capacity.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Xelkelvos posted:

This week's episode: Do not huff solder. Lakan continues to be shady as hell.

You can try to avoid the fumes, but there's only so much you can do without modern PPE. It's like the term "mad as a hatter". When felts are all the fashion in hats, and felt production requires heavy mercury use, you either go out of business or you go mad after a few decades of mercury poisoning.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/uneasywolf/status/1751696427128856977

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Lies and slander, Maomao would never that a thumbs up