Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Perry Mason Jar posted:

It's just El Niño right? ...right?

some scientists think this is a very weak el nino, and the warming we're seeing is largely what the previous extended la nina had been suppressing

we'll find out when el nino fades

honestly, it's so wonderful to see science and history like this happening in real time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

SirPablo posted:

Reagan hit 80F today, which is now the earliest in the year that's happened. The prior record was Feb 21, so this is almost a month earlier!

Reagan is burning in Hell.

National Airport is hot, but not that hot.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Complications posted:

honestly, it's so wonderful to see science and history like this happening in real time

boy, are you gonna be excited over the next few decades years

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Complications posted:

some scientists think this is a very weak el nino, and the warming we're seeing is largely what the previous extended la nina had been suppressing

we'll find out when el nino fades

It's objectively a strong El Nino.

https://origin.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/ensostuff/ONI_v5.php

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Perry Mason Jar posted:

It's just El Niño right? ...right?
It's definitely not helping.

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Just a spot of weather lads, keep your pants on

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

the squirrels and chipmunks have come out of hibernation and are out in full force in my backyard beating the everloving gently caress out of each other

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

saw the neighborhood kids playing a pickup soccer game by the school without any jackets or gloves because its….checks notes….62 degrees in Jan in Ohio

a week ago it was single digits, wait till summer goes from 75 to 125 F in one week and the power goes out.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

i mean i'm glad it's not a high of 0 or worse, which it normally would be here at this time (I'm in Minneapolis), instead we have this weird rear end 35 degree foggy poo poo, extreme transylvania energy

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

ty slumfrog :)
I can hear the cicadas already, gonna be 60+ for the rest of the month unless ol Jack Frost makes a surprise appearance

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."
What is a bigger mindfuck is the Feb weather patterns are looking increasingly colder, especially 2h of month on Euro weeklies. We could have am extra cold Feb despite hitting 80 degrees randomly in Jan

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

winter is the new summer, mid spring is the new fall, summer is the new double summer, and fall is apocalypse weather season what’s so hard to understand?!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I'm not prepared for the psychic violence of False Spring

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I'm not prepared for the psychic violence of False Spring

The birds are singing the wrong songs!

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
everything is still wet and cloudy and i hate it

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Right I hate late fall Early winter.... Which now we get 4 months of instead of actual winter

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Mr. Lobe posted:

dude it's seriously loving with my head how much it sounds like spring outside

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

RadiRoot posted:

lovely, muddy, wet late winter/very early spring is like the worst time of the year and that's just winter now.

Once spring actually gets here the temperatures are going to instantly skyrocket into "never leave the house" territory.

take_it_slow
Jul 7, 2011

Paradoxish posted:

"never leave the house" territory.

Goons stay winning

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

RadiRoot posted:

*seattleishly* heh same

Radio Nowhere
Jan 8, 2010
Little foggy this morning on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge.

https://www.wbaltv.com/article/breaking-wb-bay-bridge-closed-due-multi-car-crash/46558350

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

my cat is norris posted:

dude it's seriously loving with my head how much it sounds like spring outside

I am going to become the Weather Joker

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

it's totally junuary. i was running on snowy mountain ridge at 7500 feet and it was 50 degrees.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah hard agree I was skiing on man made snow whole it was foggy because it was 40..

Red Baron
Mar 9, 2007

Mr. Lobe posted:

forget the birds I can hear the siren song of the big swarms already, I can only hope this somehow fucks up the impending cicada apocalypse

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ark storm this week for LA, or just the usual sparkling atmospheric river?

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Real hurthling! posted:

ark storm this week for LA, or just the usual sparkling atmospheric river?

No ArkStorm. Media hype. An ArkStorm would last for 30 days.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

It's supposed to rain 7-10 inches in the southern part of the county this week

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

https://twitter.com/BOM_Qld/status/1751879957091844471

you will never guess what happened next

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

the water dissipated harmlessly into the rest of the atmosphere?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
They sent a third balloon up and it drowned before it could give them any more results?

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

i knew you guys wouldn't get it.

it rained! a lot, 14 inches in a few hours in some places. looking forward seeing that record smashed again some day soon!

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

spaceblancmange posted:

i knew you guys wouldn't get it.

it rained! a lot, 14 inches in a few hours in some places. looking forward seeing that record smashed again some day soon!

If only I was so lucky as to get 14 inches over the course of a few hours

munce
Oct 23, 2010

its way too hot

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

wow that's nuts

cold where i am

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

That's a really interesting sounding. Besides having a pwat of nearly three inches (Miami's record is 2.9"), the sounding is absolutely unstable. The boundary layer is coming in off the ocean, which we know from the easterly winds, but it is a very hot & humid air mass. It is moving under a saturated mid/upper level airmass but is still more energetic. I would expect storms to be actively erupting in this scenario as the air parcels are absolutely unstable and don't even need a mechanism.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I'd lol so hard if california got the big earthquake and the arkstorm at the same time

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
i dont see how a big earthquake would be funny, those are super scary and hosed

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Thorn Wishes Talon posted:

i dont see how a big earthquake would be funny, those are super scary and hosed

nah it's funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thorn Wishes Talon
Oct 18, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
ok well i hope you never get to experience one!