Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Comstar posted:

Via reddit: the owner of Robinsons Bookshops has some…opinions.

From the thread:

Looks like I'm cancelling that local bookstore.

Remember people: "Go Woke Go Broke!"

Edit: Oh new page, video time! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bofLnrFPerE

SecretOfSteel fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jan 28, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

SecretOfSteel posted:

Remember people: "Go Woke Go Broke!"

Edit: Oh new page, video time! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bofLnrFPerE
Why the gently caress would you give that clicks? Aus Pollers don't click on a video supporting Trump and Maga lunacy.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
"Don't welcome me to my own country" also got a song, it made #2 on the 2024 Coldest 100 list. You don't need to watch it, you know exactly how it plays out but here it is anyway

https://twitter.com/OzKitsch/status/1751121356190859327

LOL @ people in the comments going "Wait, there's something worse than this??" and the OP going "Unfortunately yeah, brace yourselves :( "

E: in case people don't want to click through, #1 on the list was Daryl Somers being lovely to Kamahl while performing in blackface

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I don't respect the coldest 100 list BC it included the kransky sisters doing "computer games" and that is a certified banger

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I don't respect the coldest 100 list BC it included the kransky sisters doing "computer games" and that is a certified banger

fucken oath

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

"Don't welcome me to my own country" also got a song, it made #2 on the 2024 Coldest 100 list. You don't need to watch it, you know exactly how it plays out but here it is anyway

LOL @ people in the comments going "Wait, there's something worse than this??" and the OP going "Unfortunately yeah, brace yourselves :( "

E: in case people don't want to click through, #1 on the list was Daryl Somers being lovely to Kamahl while performing in blackface

my mum was posting dumb poo poo about 'dont welcome me to my own country' till my partner replied "you aren't australian you are from nz" so my mum deleted the post in shame

an invasion day success story

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
People get upset about the most banal poo poo it's incredible.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Fukken straight white people the second the world isn't all about them.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Pat Cummins threw the test by declaring on Australia Day as part of the woke agenda

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Yeah whoever made the list completely whooshed on that one

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

My dad went around annoying everyone this week by reminding them to be "Sorry on Friday" - I didn't have the heart to tell him there's already a Sorry Day in May. His heart's in the right place at least.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Don't welcome us to arr own kerntry. We's ossies an' prowd.

Edit - even if this song was somehow apolitical, they're terrible people just for the lines "I'm welcome / I've always been welcome" and "I'm welcome and I'll always be welcome". That's some assertive loving narcissism right there.

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
poo poo TOWNS OF AUSTRALIA POWER RANKINGS: EXTENDED SUMMER EDITION

1. Darwin, NT - Grub allegedly assaults and carjacks elderly woman during crime spree; horndog accidentally exposes uncontrollable boner to teen employee in Hungry Jack’s drive-thru after experimenting with dick pills at orgy
2. Mornington, VIC - 14-year-old fuckwit charged after allegedly pushing elderly man off pier
3. Melbourne, VIC - Bodybuilder jailed for running meth lab out of drug rehab centre in former brothel; woman could lose eye after being hit by illegal firework; parking inspector assaulted for fine he didn’t hand out; gronk orders Uber to flee cops after car crash; over 100 escaped cows rampage through suburban streets
4. Shepparton, VIC - Woman allegedly sets other woman on fire
5. Gold Coast, QLD - Middle-aged menace vapes on plane before pulling down pants and pissing on vacant seats; hundreds of creek swimmers frolic in poo poo soup after sewage leak; grinch walks off with shopping centre’s massive Christmas reindeer display
6. Toowoomba, QLD - Gronk assaults his mum after accusing her of poisoning him with dog jizz
7. Tennant Creek, NT - Feral kids break into paramedic’s house during medical emergency; burglars steal keys to multiple ambulances
8. Bowen, QLD - Loose unit tries to run down firies outside IGA
9. Launceston, TAS - Hospital patients stored in cupboards due to lack of beds
10. Burnie, TAS - Pair of gronks smash $40k worth of shop windows; pest pleads guilty to crime spree including stealing car to get home, carrying meat cleaver and nunchucks and breaking into police station to steal two packs of lollies
11. Wadeye, NT - Man shot with bow during 40-person brawl
12. Hobart, TAS - Woman holding baby involved in shopping centre fight
13. Adelaide, SA - Driver allegedly blows 5 times alcohol limit after getting stuck on the O-Bahn and assaulting cop
14. Wodonga, VIC - Gutless goon smashes cancer kid’s Christmas display
15. Grafton, NSW - Prisoner breaks out of his cell then breaks into his girlfriend’s cell for a root
16. Glengarry, TAS - Logging truck overturns, bringing down power lines and igniting grass fire, while its cargo rolls down road and smashes into house and oncoming car
17. Townsville, QLD - Mum charged after spitting at man who criticised her for having her kid on a leash
18. Sydney, NSW - Locals celebrate as bricks of cocaine wash up on beaches; council erects sign begging locals not to poo poo in park
19. Bendigo, VIC - City named Australia’s swearing capital, appropriate because it’s a fucken shithole
20. Port Pirie, SA - Still poo poo

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008
I don't see why this makes the poo poo town list

15. Grafton, NSW - Prisoner breaks out of his cell then breaks into his girlfriend’s cell for a root

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Bendigo is a really nice regional city. I don't understand why this list exists at all tbh. Seems like bogan baiting.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

JBP posted:

Bendigo is a really nice regional city. I don't understand why this list exists at all tbh. Seems like bogan baiting.

Classic Smellbournian response to Kweenslan picking up back to back shittest town gongs.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

GrandTheftAutism posted:

Not a single WA town on this list, what is this? Is WA actually good?

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Unfortunately the polls closed before WA got to vote.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Konomex posted:

It’s essentially just a petty crime summary and apparently no one did anything funny enough in WA recently

GrandTheftAutism
Dec 24, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Konomex posted:

TAS seems to be dominating this month; feels like something's gone a bit wrong down there. Usually it's a bit of QLD, a bit of NSW, a bit of VIC and Port Pirie has a permanent spot.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Konomex posted:

always has been

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Gotta love Toowoomba coming in with some hosed up poo poo on the reg

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Poowoomba

an egg
Nov 17, 2021

no m*dgee, no clue

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Third and possibly final draft is looking just about good to go.

Including some exciting additions and clearer detail on the rest:

Georges River Ferry:

Middle Harbour Crossing:

Parramatta to M7 Connection:

Olympic Park Access:

Airport to Opera House Connection:

Main Harbour Ferry detail:

Western Half detail:

Eastern Half detail:

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Bucky, you still need an executive summary labeled as such.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

GrandTheftAutism posted:

The NSW Commissioner of Police Karen Webb wishes to express her heartfelt delight at NSW being so poorly represented. How the activities of 'Gooch Squad™' escaped detection during the festival season is a testement to the quality of NSW journalism and the apathy of the general public. She thanks the people of NSW for continuing to turn a blind eye.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Recoome posted:

executive summary

It's the plan for a series of bike paths that uses the simple formula of following the train-lines, motorways, and waterways, to deliver a network that connects the whole of the city, in complete comfort and safety, on fully separated cycle-paths, at almost zero disruption to motorists.

By starting with what we have already, and taking a top-down, inter-council approach, we minimise the spend, and close the fragmented gaps that exist currently, to create a fully contiguous network, maximising the impact, and changing the perception of cycling in Sydney, from something for athletes with a death-wish to a genuinely viable way to move around the city.

Key sections include:
  • Connecting the M7 to Parramatta
  • Connecting the north to the city with a skyway from Ridge St to the Bridge
  • A bike ferry network
  • Connecting the Airport to the Harbour at the Opera House
  • Providing painless access to Olympic Park

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Great and add expected benefits and a recommended rollout timeline and you are good.

Get rid of the fancy language in the exec summary, like contiguous wtf does that mean

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Recoome posted:

expected benefits and a recommended rollout timeline

• Save families billions of dollars per year in fuel, parking, tolls, and maintenance
  • Improve health outcomes
  • Significantly decarbonise the transport sector
  • Reclaim public space from cars for people
  • Let the next generation of sporting heroes and musical icons to get to practice

If we genuinely want to we can get (at least 90% of) it done in a year.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
https://x.com/adamzwar/status/1751738260748132586

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

It's also funny seeing the teals squirm about completely justified changes that will effect the very rich people that voted for them

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
If Albanese is being boo-ed at the tennis he's probably doing something right.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

sick of Applebees posted:

I don't see why this makes the poo poo town list

Good lord it is real too

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12917689/Prisoner-naked-cell-female-lover-Clarence-Correctional-Centre.html

quote:

A male inmate at Australia's largest prison has been found naked in the cell of his female lover, who was also being held in the same jail.

The prisoner managed to leave his unit at Clarence Correctional Centre near Grafton in northern NSW on Saturday and get with his girlfriend to attempt an end-of-year tryst.

The privately-run prison is a maximum and minimum security facility for male and female offenders with 1,700 beds which opened in July 2020.

Daily Mail Australia understands the male inmate climbed two fences and crossed an exercise yard to make his way into his partner's cell.

A male inmate at Australia's largest prison has been found naked in the cell of his female lover. The prisoner managed to get out of his unit at Clarence Correctional Centre near Grafton in northern NSW on Saturday and make his way into that of his girlfriend. Stock image
Daily Mail Australia understands the male inmate climbed two fences and crossed an exercise yard to make his way into his partner's cell. Clarence Correctional Centre is pictured

The couple then barricaded themselves inside until prison officers deployed a chemical agent and were able to extract the male inmate.

The prisoner was naked and one source described his state as 'ready to go'.

A spokeswoman for Clarence Correctional Centre, run by UK-based Serco, said staff had responded to an incident in which two inmates attempted to prevent entry into a cell.

'A tactical plan was executed promptly with chemical agent deployed,' the spokeswoman said.

'Responding officers safely secured the inmates. No staff or inmates were injured during the incident.

'The inmates involved - one male and one female - are known to be in a relationship.

'An investigation into the incident has commenced.'

The escapade is understood to have been over within six minutes and it was not known if the pair had time to become intimate.
Clarence Correctional Centre (above) is a privately-run prison for female offenders with 1,700 beds which opened in July 2020. It has maximum and minimum security sections

Clarence Correctional Centre (above) is a privately-run prison for female offenders with 1,700 beds which opened in July 2020. It has maximum and minimum security sections
The couple barricaded themselves inside a cell until prison officers deployed a chemical agent and were able to extract the male inmate. The prisoner was naked and one source described his state as 'ready to go'. Stock image

The couple barricaded themselves inside a cell until prison officers deployed a chemical agent and were able to extract the male inmate. The prisoner was naked and one source described his state as 'ready to go'. Stock image

Users of a Facebook page popular with serving and former prison officers made light of the incident, as well as drawing attention to security concerns.

'The best thing is if she's pregnant our future careers are secured!!' one wrote on The Last Governor's page.

'Well he had a happy New Year,' wrote another.

Other comments included 'Neither bars, locks, fences or motion cameras can get in the way of true love' and 'You just can't make this s*** up'.

In September, an officer at Clarence was allegedly struck repeatedly in the head by an inmate while other prisoners cheered him on.

Clarence is one of three NSW prisons operated by the private sector.

Junee Correctional Centre has been run by the US-owned GEO Group since it opened in 1993 but the company's contract will not be renewed when it expires in 2025.

Parklea Correctional Centre is managed by MTC-Broadspectrum.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
oh god the chemical agent is just making them gently caress more

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

That's very cute

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Bucky Fullminster posted:

• Save families billions of dollars per year in fuel, parking, tolls, and maintenance
  • Improve health outcomes
  • Significantly decarbonise the transport sector
  • Reclaim public space from cars for people
  • Let the next generation of sporting heroes and musical icons to get to practice

If we genuinely want to we can get (at least 90% of) it done in a year.

Your recommended timeline should give an idea on what sections are the most critical - break it into phases. Think about what the easy runs on the board are, as well as maximum impact.

You need to demonstrate that this conceptually works and you can identify what is important.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Bucky Fullminster posted:

We present a plan for an integrated bicycle network following existing train-lines, motorways, and waterways to connect the whole of the metropolitan Sydney in complete comfort and safety, on fully separated cycle-paths, with almost zero disruption to motorists.

By exploiting existing infrastructure and taking a top-down, inter-council approach, we minimise expenditure and close existing gaps to create a fully contiguous network, maximising benefits and minimising impact on existing use. This will lower the barriers to cycling in Sydney, resulting in billions of dollars in savings for government and families, major public health benefits and massively reduced carbon emissions.

Key sections:
  • Connecting the M7 to Parramatta
  • Connecting the north to the city with a skyway from Ridge St to the Bridge
  • A bike ferry network
  • Connecting the Airport to the Harbour at the Opera House
  • Providing painless access to Olympic Park

The Artificial Kid fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jan 29, 2024

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Recoome posted:

Your recommended timeline should give an idea on what sections are the most critical - break it into phases. Think about what the easy runs on the board are, as well as maximum impact.

The whole thing is easy runs that have maximum impact. That's pretty much the point.

But the most critical sections are the ones initially outlined - M7 to Parramatta, North to Harbour Bridge, Airport to Opera House, and Newington to Olympic Park. Complemented with the Bike Ferry Service of course.

These are the biggest gaps. Closing them would be like unclogging a blocked drain, allowing traffic to flow freely instead of flooding the footpath:

Mostly it's not even about building infrastructure, it's just about making a few different decisions.

I look at the millions of dollars that was spent on this thing for example, and the negligible difference it makes when hardly anyone who doesn't live in a 200 meter radius of it is going that direction and there is another crossing 500 meters away already, and I weep:

https://vimeo.com/879620713

nice cheers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

How does anyone who's been to an event at Homebush not look at this and salivate:

It costs almost literally nothing! There is a wharf there already, and we have a bunch of boats ready to go. We can do it tomorrow if we want.

And how good would this be:

This is probably the heart and soul of it:

Come on:

And imagine the bridge over this blue line:

It's mostly there already. We just need to link up a few sections, and designate the rest accordingly.