Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Just got back from the Herman Miller store expecting to walk out with an Embody, but it felt not nearly supportive enough. I actually liked the Aeron quite a bit, which was surprising given my fat rear end (5'10", 330ish pounds) but wound up settling on a Mirra 2.

DoctorTristan posted:

This thread’s taken an irritating turn towards only giving troll replies lately, but any ‘gaming’ chair, especially one styled to look like a racing bucket seat, is a piece of poo poo that will quickly disintegrate. Literally any other office chair is going to be a better option than that.

What’s your budget here? You can easily spend four figures on a high-end office chair, and I personally would say they’re worth the money if disposable income allows, but there are definitely options available at lower price points if not.
The Embody gamer edition is just a Herman Miller Embody--which is a pretty top-of-the-line office chair--with a couple of extra pieces of foam in it.

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Nov 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Ham Equity posted:

5'10", 330ish pounds
user name post combo

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
If there're any other federal employees out there looking for a high end office chair it turns out Steelcase has a hefty discount we're eligible for, to the tune of like 50% off MSRP. Just ordered a Leap V2 with the higher lift cylinder and pleather upholstery for $700, minus those it would've been $600 which is a lot cheaper than I was expecting.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

What does the verification for that look like? I may or may not be eligible depending on how exacting they are. Like, does a .gov email address suffice, or…?

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
In my case, literally nothing, the sales lady ask me about my employer and brought it up after I told her I work for the federal government then just had to know which agency. I'd guess it depends on your local dealer, I don't suspect you can take advantage of that discount ordering online.

Edit: Guess I should clarify since I didn't say it in my original post, that was with an order through a local dealer, but it was mentioned it was a GSA discount that they made available to employees as a result of COVID so I'm pretty certain its a national discount, not local to my area, but probably does require going through a local dealer.

Elem7 fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Nov 20, 2023

Doug Sisk
Sep 11, 2001
I've had my Ferns for a few days now, and got a few initial thoughts. The seat is a bit firmer than I expected (coming from an Aeron which has a really comfortable seat), but have read that it does soften over time. The back is very comfortable, even without the lumbar support addon and makes me very happy with the chairs. The only slight annoyance is the arms, the height is locked but they still move freely to rotate and move backwards and forwards when I really would prefer they were fixed once I put them in a comfortable position.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Ok thanks for the advice thread. I took the plunge on an Embody Gaming, sight unseen no less. I hope this works out after twelve years in an Aeron *gulp*.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

The Gunslinger posted:

Ok thanks for the advice thread. I took the plunge on an Embody Gaming, sight unseen no less. I hope this works out after twelve years in an Aeron *gulp*.

Welcome to the club sir.

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev
apnscp: cPanel evolved

Duck and Cover posted:

I like the Gesture more than the uncomfortable icky Embody. I'm 6'1-6'2 depending on whose measuring and how straight I'm standing, 205 pounds.

:whatup: posting from the Gesture. Seat pan is a bit hard but by far my favorite back of all chairs (Leap, Bodybilt, Aeron, Mirra, Embody).

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

nem posted:

:whatup: posting from the Gesture. Seat pan is a bit hard but by far my favorite back of all chairs (Leap, Bodybilt, Aeron, Mirra, Embody).

Good to hear that you are having better luck with yours than I did mine, and I hope it continues to work well for you for many decades to come!

Out of curiosity, what options did you end up going with on it?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

The Gunslinger posted:

I can't imagine it won't! Once you have the back and recline tensions tuned in, it should be smooth sailing from there.

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev
apnscp: cPanel evolved

Zarin posted:

Good to hear that you are having better luck with yours than I did mine, and I hope it continues to work well for you for many decades to come!

Out of curiosity, what options did you end up going with on it?

Grabbed a return from Crandall Office with Elmosoft leather, headrest, 360 arms, and lumbar $1250 without tax. Seat pan's tolerable once my sit bones go numb. Worst case, I can replace the foam padding with a Purple cushion.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Zarin posted:

I can't imagine it won't! Once you have the back and recline tensions tuned in, it should be smooth sailing from there.

I’ve had it a few days now and while I like it, I’m getting some pain under my left thigh. I’m pretty light and I’ve got the seat pan pushed in all the way while sitting properly as per their guide. I feel like the foam is too thin and something is digging into my leg. The back of the chair is wonderful and so is everything else but I can’t be in pain like this after sitting for an hour.

I’m going to give it another week but if doesn’t improve I’ll have to send it back.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

I had the same issue and I can't remember what I adjusted to fix the problem. I remember thinking gently caress me I don't think I can handle this chair. But you just need to keep fiddling with the adjustments

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
I have my seat pan extended to a few inches short of my knees. Try that perhaps?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
It's not an adjustment thing, it's a design thing IMO. I found some people on Youtube with the same issue. The seat pan design has two overlapping plastic pieces that slide apart, it's frankly really dumb for something in this price point. The whole way you adjust it is ridiculous too but that's a different rant. For my height/body (5'10), I need the seat pan almost all the way in rather than extended and it means the two plates overlap, this protrusion digs into my leg and gives me pain/numbness over time.

The only way around this would be to raise the seat height and let the seat pan out more but I shouldn't have to sit in a really lovely position with my feet on an elevated rest for $2200 Canadian. Their support says its fine and that I just need to give it time "for your body to adjust" but that will conveniently put me past the return period. My body will not adjust to something digging into my thigh anyway.

This is by far the most disappointing expensive purchase I've made and a lesson in making sure you can try things before you buy them. Unfortunately their showroom is nowhere near me and I had to do this blind. I was really happy with my old Aeron but man, the Embody was a big miss for me.

Luckily the office got a Leap v2 in and while the back portion isn't as comfortable as the Embody, everything else about it is superior in my opinion. The arm rests are fully adjustable and there is no clunky plastic ratcheting. The lower/upper back adjustments are great and the seat pan actually moves in and out properly without having a large lump. I think the foam is better than the Embody too. Best of all its $1408 CDN for a new one right now so I'll even get money back.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe
Ok after a lot of back and forth with Herman Miller I think I have it dialed in properly, thanks thread and sorry about my meltdown lol.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

The Gunslinger posted:

Ok after a lot of back and forth with Herman Miller I think I have it dialed in properly, thanks thread and sorry about my meltdown lol.
skill issue

Amnomia
Jun 12, 2003

manner issue

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Amnomia posted:

manner issue

Soft skill issue

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Amnomia posted:

manner issue
this is the computer chairs thread, friend. we clown in this motherfucker.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
And we also invariably push Herman Miller products.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Still with my Fern and still happy. The cloth knit material is fantastic and great for scratching your back in hard to reach spots when sitting.

I'm getting less low back spasms and left leg pain so that's a plus.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

And we also invariably push Herman Miller products.

I mean I loved my Aeron and this Embody is great in many respects but despite sticking with it, I stand by my comment that the seat pan adjustment/design is ridiculous. I'm working around the seat pan lump with an adjustable foot stool. I just couldn't get used to the active seating method of the Leap v2, its wonderful but it definitely feels like an office chair instead of a chair I can relax in more like the Embody.

This is a minor complaint but the Embody has very noisy arm rests too. Like I hear a little click every time I rest on either one. I'm not sure if this is just mine or all of them though. I am happy that the back on mine makes zero noise, a lot of people online complained about it but mine is quiet even when I'm stretching or bending the back a bit.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I haven't noticed anything sticking through the seat pan and I've got it retracted as far as it would go. Do you have the seat too high? There shouldn't be much pressure on your thighs.

Amnomia
Jun 12, 2003

TenementFunster posted:

this is the computer chairs thread, friend. we clown in this motherfucker.

thanx u guy's are great.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
Finally got the Leap I ordered in November, holiday shipping shenanigans.

First impressions are great. When I went to the show room originally to try it out all there was on site were other Steelcase chairs to compare to directly and honestly they were all pretty similar, outside of adjustability, and nothing stood out to any great degree. Now that I can move directly from my lovely, but well reviewed online, $400 HON chair to the leap I actually note a big difference in the support, comfort, and my posture in the Leap, its much better. I opted for their polyester fabric which I'm liking a lot, super soft, appears like it would cleanup just as well as vinyl or leather, but its actually nice against bare skin unlike those.

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

Elem7 posted:

Finally got the Leap I ordered in November, holiday shipping shenanigans.

First impressions are great. When I went to the show room originally to try it out all there was on site were other Steelcase chairs to compare to directly and honestly they were all pretty similar, outside of adjustability, and nothing stood out to any great degree. Now that I can move directly from my lovely, but well reviewed online, $400 HON chair to the leap I actually note a big difference in the support, comfort, and my posture in the Leap, its much better. I opted for their polyester fabric which I'm liking a lot, super soft, appears like it would cleanup just as well as vinyl or leather, but its actually nice against bare skin unlike those.

I went to a showroom thinking I’d get a Herman Miller but after trying out different models and leap 2 I just couldn’t help but feel like the leap is just way more comfortable for me, it’s more more adjustable too.

Did you get the first leap or v2?

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
Is there any distinction anymore? All my local store had were "Leap" and on SteelCase's website I don't see anything about there being 2 different versions available currently, my assumption is there's only the Leap V2 and thus no reason for them to specify.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I've posted in here once or twice before, but didn't make a purchase afterwards. However, now that I'm having to go to physical therapy for some issues and my posture has been brought up it's probably best if I finally bite the bullet and get a proper ergonomic chair.

My mind immediately goes to Herman-Miller and Steelcase, and I've used their chairs at work before. I'm currently using an original Leap at work and at a previous job used the Embody, and I like both. The Steelcase is currently cheaper though, so I'm inclined to go with them. I'm not sure if the Gesture is better than the Leap or not honestly, and now I see there is a chair called the Karman that's even a little bit cheaper. I'm 6'1"(185cm) and around 300lbs (136kg).

Does anyone have opinions on the Steelcase Karman? My initial gut feeling is to just go for the top of the line loaded out Gesture with headrest, but a Karman or Leap would save me some money and if they're comparable ergonomically then that might make more sense to do. I live in flyover country, so there aren't any tech start-ups liquidating last year's chairs for me to scoop something up for a couple hundo, and to my knowledge there are no showrooms here either.

I'm currently using a Secretlab Titan Evo at home and it's "fine," but I really do need more adjustment options than this chair provides. Hopefully that provides an idea of the kind of ergonomic options I'm coming from and what I'm trying to get into. The other consideration is I have four cats, and one of them has recently decided that my desk chair feels great to scratch on, so I'd like opinions on what fabric would be best to either stand up to a cat trying to scratch or will be less enticing to that action.

Branch Nvidian fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jan 18, 2024

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

Branch Nvidian posted:

I've posted in here once or twice before, but didn't make a purchase afterwards. However, now that I'm having to go to physical therapy for some issues and my posture has been brought up it's probably best if I finally bite the bullet and get a proper ergonomic chair.

My mind immediately goes to Herman-Miller and Steelcase, and I've used their chairs at work before. I'm currently using an original Leap at work and at a previous job used the Embody, and I like both. The Steelcase is currently cheaper though, so I'm inclined to go with them. I'm not sure if the Gesture is better than the Leap or not honestly, and now I see there is a chair called the Karman that's even a little bit cheaper. I'm 6'1"(185cm) and around 300lbs (136kg).

Does anyone have opinions on the Steelcase Karman? My initial gut feeling is to just go for the top of the line loaded out Gesture with headrest, but a Karman or Leap would save me some money and if they're comparable ergonomically then that might make more sense to do. I live in flyover country, so there aren't any tech start-ups liquidating last year's chairs for me to scoop something up for a couple hundo, and to my knowledge there are no showrooms here either.

I'm currently using a Secretlab Titan Evo at home and it's "fine," but I really do need more adjustment options than this chair provides. Hopefully that provides an idea of the kind of ergonomic options I'm coming from and what I'm trying to get into. The other consideration is I have four cats, and one of them has recently decided that my desk chair feels great to scratch on, so I'd like opinions on what fabric would be best to either stand up to a cat trying to scratch or will be less enticing to that action.

I’d just but whatever you have at work. Perhaps leap 2 instead of the original one. Ideally you want to go to a showroom to try sitting in as many chairs as you can, but it’s also really hard to know if the chair is really right for you just from sitting in it for a few minutes.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Yeah I went to a local (ish) place that does Steelcase for corporate clients, and tried the Leap and the Gesture. I really did not like the Leap, and was reminded that's what we had when I was in an office. The Gesture felt great to me right away. I ordered it through them, and got some color options that weren't on Steelcase's website, and the price was ~$300 less than the website too. Just waiting for it to show up at this point.

Kefa
Jul 14, 2023

Alarbus posted:

Yeah I went to a local (ish) place that does Steelcase for corporate clients, and tried the Leap and the Gesture. I really did not like the Leap, and was reminded that's what we had when I was in an office. The Gesture felt great to me right away. I ordered it through them, and got some color options that weren't on Steelcase's website, and the price was ~$300 less than the website too. Just waiting for it to show up at this point.

Nice. How come you didn’t like the leap though?

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Kefa posted:

Nice. How come you didn’t like the leap though?

No idea. I sat in it and it just didn't work for my legs or back despite fiddling with it. The Gesture was great the minute I sat down.

Edit: Now I remember. The gap between the back and the base is much larger on the leap, and I felt like it didn't support my lower back the way I wanted. The back flares differently between the two, and it doesn't work for me.

My wife and I hate each others car's seats though, so it sort of makes sense that people prefer certain shapes/positions.

Alarbus fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jan 20, 2024

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
What's the lifespan on the seat of a Steelcase Leap V2? Mine isn't feeling very good on my butt and legs lately. I've had the chair for 12 years I think.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

KingKapalone posted:

What's the lifespan on the seat of a Steelcase Leap V2? Mine isn't feeling very good on my butt and legs lately. I've had the chair for 12 years I think.

Well it has a 12 year warranty, so arguably it should last that long at a minimum.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

KingKapalone posted:

That's the same problem I had with the used Leap V2 I bought last year. So I just popped down to a local used office furniture place and picked up an Aeron Classic for 600$. Weirdly I kinda liked it more than the Embody I tried out, but that's not much more than a first impression

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
Any UK goons got a rec for a chair you can get here for cheap. Must be maximum comfort for the money which would be around £120-130 tops. Thank thee you sweet, sweet goons

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Somewhat related to chairs, any recommendations for a proper computer workstation desk?

I'm looking for one with adjustable height, don't need a standing desk or a motor, just one where if someone else uses it this year we could adjust the height a little bit.

It seems desks are much less tricky get correct than chairs are, so any brand of desk will probably do, maybe?

I'm in the UK as well if that matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Ikea Bekant stuff is probably the best you'll find for what they cost. They claim it's for an office rather than home but it wouldn't last five minutes in an actual commercial environment, it is pretty solid for home use though.

The leg height adjusts between 65 and 85cm, but you have to slide the leg and tighten a grub screw to do it. Fine if you're doing it every few months but otherwise get a standing desk.