Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Someone somewhere must have given one monster fur and googly eyes like a Jim Henson puppet.

Call it the Furbie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
A member of the 17th Recon covered their Locust in plastic toys and other assorted cheap junk.

I always wanted to try to replicate that, but I can't find rainbow flock.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I also want to see a mech done up like a South Asian semi truck

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

mech covered in anime idol girls

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Kesper North posted:

I also want to see a mech done up like a South Asian semi truck

“Urbie jingle truck” is making me giggle now, thanks :laffo:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Icon Of Sin posted:

“Urbie jingle truck” is making me giggle now, thanks :laffo:

I also want to see an Urbiecozy, an Urbanmech in a giant knit egg cozy

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Traveller posted:

mech covered in anime idol girls

there was that one group in the SLDF that was full of weebs and when they got deployed to kurita they did this, and the kuritans were like "please, stop, what is wrong with you people"

i can't remember what their unit was called/numbered, somebody help me out thanks

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Super annoying the MAC box is a US exclusive

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

biosterous posted:

there was that one group in the SLDF that was full of weebs and when they got deployed to kurita they did this, and the kuritans were like "please, stop, what is wrong with you people"

i can't remember what their unit was called/numbered, somebody help me out thanks

I have no idea but in my head it's my personal faction, the SLDF Wayward Son.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Got my buddy who I grew up with playing clix to go to his local game store and check out their BattleTech/Alpha Strike stuff. He's been going through some stuff for the last few years but is on the mend, lo and behold some guys were playing Alpha Strike there when he arrived. They convinced him to pick up the AS starter box for him and his boys. I'm finishing up a Jade Falcon Dark Age era Trinary for him too as a belated birthday presented, so he'll have plenty for him and his kids to play with in two weeks when those guys play again.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Strobe posted:

The ones taken down either literally had BattleTech in the name or mentioned it specifically in the description, which is the bare minimum action that a license holder is legally required to do to protect an IP.

That's basically a myth, no company has had their IP genericized due to common usage in our lifetimes.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Improbable Lobster posted:

That's basically a myth, no company has had their IP genericized due to common usage in our lifetimes.

This unfortunately does not make it not a concern or prevent it from being something that has to be done to keep Topps happy.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Also the fact that the statement was qualified with "in our lifetimes" means that it has happened, so of course companies are going to be fighting tooth and nail to not be the guys who bring it back.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I'm aware of Disney having had to take drastic steps because Marvel didn't find out about the Captain America restaurant that opened in Dublin in 1971 until the Disney Store was going to open directly across from it in 2010.

Canned Bovines
Jan 15, 2008

It's also incorrect. 'Airfryer' was first trademarked in 2010 and is already genericized in the US. Still valid in Europe, though.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
IIRC "Nintendo" was getting close to being genericized and "game console" was pretty much invented to stop it.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
There's something in there that it hasn't happened because companies have had to go to court over it

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I have not died in my lifetime, and the risk of my death is basically a myth

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Improbable Lobster posted:

The most common cautionary tales are aspirin, cellophane, yo-yos, thermos, and xerox (which is actually untrue- Xerox managed to push the term photocopy early enough to retain the trademark). Nintendo came close, but coined the term "game console" and made a big advertising push to avoid genericization.

We largely have not had a major trademark genericized in recent memory specifically because companies are so on guard against it. Google literally lobbies dictionaries and arbiters of style guides like the AP to prevent googling from becoming synonomous with Internet searching.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Sellotape and Hoover are the big obvious ones on this side of the world, but this really is just too funny: https://captainamericas.com/

They basically got Disney to agree to their perpetual right to use the branding in the context of restaurants and to fund a second location in return for not suing for part ownership of the character. Imagine that clusterfuck two years before The Avengers dropped :allears:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

MadDogMike posted:

Incorrect, Urbie is always beautiful.

Not emptyposting

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

PoptartsNinja posted:

A member of the 17th Recon covered their Locust in plastic toys and other assorted cheap junk.

I always wanted to try to replicate that, but I can't find rainbow flock.

I asked Victor Milan (r.i.p.) about that one. He said that Mountain Man's Locust could best be described as a "Tijuana taxi".

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
The little savannah masters look like fun

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

ilmucche posted:

The little savannah masters look like fun

Yeah, looks like you can mount them two to a hex or just one to a hex, kind of cool modularity. And you get 4 per box, I wonder about how many hexes though.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Yeah, looks like you can mount them two to a hex or just one to a hex, kind of cool modularity. And you get 4 per box, I wonder about how many hexes though.

video said two but mdf/plastic hexes are plentiful

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Owlbear Camus posted:

video said two but mdf/plastic hexes are plentiful

I'm gonna put two on each hex then and zip around all day.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Watch out for Long Tom Cannons

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The new support weapon artillery is way less effective than you might suspect, and vehicles are a little more durable, so you might see Savannah Masters doing way better than they should.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I said Long Tom Cannons, not Long Toms

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Until one of them skids making a turn and they are no longer in the same hex

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

BattleMaster posted:

Until one of them skids making a turn and they are no longer in the same hex

I don't believe Alpha Strike does skidding. :cool:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Wait now I'm confused, I thought Alpha Strike didn't have units stacking into one space like in BattleTech.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Is just bringing assault mechs considered bad sportsmanship/unfun?

I like playing and building lists the Lyran way and shoving as many assault mechs as I can into the BV.

Played someone today where they knew I had a Berzerker C3, proceeded to continually move closer to it, ate a 40 damage kick, and called the game right there, saying my list building made it unfun and unfair.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Saint Celestine posted:

Is just bringing assault mechs considered bad sportsmanship/unfun?

I like playing and building lists the Lyran way and shoving as many assault mechs as I can into the BV.

Played someone today where they knew I had a Berzerker C3, proceeded to continually move closer to it, ate a 40 damage kick, and called the game right there, saying my list building made it unfun and unfair.

It'd really depend on the 'mechs, but that's nothing to do with being an Assault. Something like a Hellstar can be very unfun to play against, but so can a jumping pulseboat or laser-guided Arrows or whatever.

I certainly wouldn't call the Berserker an unfun machine to match against, though I suppose it can be pretty binary - winning big or losing big.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

raverrn posted:

It'd really depend on the 'mechs, but that's nothing to do with being an Assault. Something like a Hellstar can be very unfun to play against, but so can a jumping pulseboat or laser-guided Arrows or whatever.

I certainly wouldn't call the Berserker an unfun machine to match against, though I suppose it can be pretty binary - winning big or losing big.

AFAIK - List of gamey things to not bring to friendly games -

1. Hellstars / That one warhawk variant with the PPCs and the targeting computer
2. iATMs
3. Homing Arrow IV spam
4. Semi-Guided LRM spam
5. Apparently sometimes C3 is too much
6. Jumpy pulse mechs
7. Boating Clan Large Pulse Lasers
8. Ferro lam and hardened armor

Am I missing anything here cause I feel like the way this is going I'm just going to find a different place to play, because I'm purposefully not bringing crazy stuff and its still causing problems.

Edit: So where y'all play, most of the above is good to go?

Saint Celestine fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Feb 1, 2024

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Basically nothing on that list besides iATMs and maybe Homing Arrow IV are actually a problem. (Many) BattleTech players are just really bad at adapting to literally anything and will blame what beat them first and themselves for walking into it never.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I would say with friendly games, it's important to set tech level and era in addition to BV. If I take 5000BV of introductory 3025 mechs against 5000BV of advanced ilClan mechs, it's probably not going to be fair regardless of what the points say.

But this all falls back onto what kind of friendly/casual scene you're even engaging with. Are these club hosted events? Then the clubs should be setting the parameters so all players are on the same page. Is this just a game night at a FLGS? Maybe there's a Facebook group for the store where people discuss the local metaculture and what people prefer without it being a formal rule. Are these arranged matches between friends? Just talk to your friend about what their expectation for the game is so everyone has a good time. Is it an arranged match against a stranger? Same as with a friend, but it's even more important for communication to be open, honest, and clear so that everyone walks away having a good time.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer
Friendly games at the local game store. 9k bv up to jihad era. We usually just do "X BV up to Y era."

Just a tad annoyed because I feel like everytime I play a list, everyone complains about how unfun or unfair it was to play against.

I've even said before hand that I was bringing a C3 network, or a very brawler heavy list, or a very sniper oriented list. Or I'm bringing clan machines.

\/ Oh yeah, thats another one ive heard about but never used. Theres some clan machines with like 6 or 8 packs of streak SRM packs. Lots of TAC chances and lots of guaranteed damage.

Saint Celestine fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Feb 1, 2024

Canned Bovines
Jan 15, 2008

SRM spam can be pretty unfun from how long it takes to do all of the cluster and hit location rolls.
Tandem-Charge SRMs are going to throw an additional roll on the determining critical hits table on top of that.

I wouldn't necessarily call a force entirely made out of assaults unfair, but they can be unfun from the lack of movement and ability to soak tons of damage making it feel like nothing's happening. It's going to depend on the lists and people at the table. What sorts of lists are other people playing in these games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Saint Celestine posted:

Friendly games at the local game store. 9k bv up to jihad era. We usually just do "X BV up to Y era."

Just a tad annoyed because I feel like everytime I play a list, everyone complains about how unfun or unfair it was to play against.

I've even said before hand that I was bringing a C3 network, or a very brawler heavy list, or a very sniper oriented list. Or I'm bringing clan machines.

You might add the tech level caveat then, but it also sounds like people just don't like playing against things they don't personally fully understand the rules for or implications of and when they lose, it's your fault for being unfun and not their fault for not engaging with all the systems of the game available to them.

Like, personally, I don't know the C3 network rules as I've not felt compelled to learn them as I'm introducing the game to my kid, but if I got stomped by a guy who was using them, I'd make a note of how loving effective they were and likely ask for a breakdown in how to list build with them and utilize them in the game, not ban them from use.