Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

FlamingLiberal posted:

It makes perfect sense to me. Pokémon games have only ever released on Nintendo hardware. This is the closest to a Pokémon game that has ever come out on a non-Nintendo platform.

There is plenty of Pokémon likes out there for other platforms, be it Digimon, Monster Crown, Temtem, and a whole lot of others I can't think of at the moment. I think the main draw here is that it's a survival game with Pokémon mechanics that sets it apart.

Edit: also over the last week a bunch of my local stores have sold out of their entire inventory of Xbox series consoles with the common factor being "that Pokémon game with guns".

Ryoga fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jan 28, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

FlamingLiberal posted:

It makes perfect sense to me. Pokémon games have only ever released on Nintendo hardware. This is the closest to a Pokémon game that has ever come out on a non-Nintendo platform.

Have you played it? It’s not like a Pokémon game at all. Darkest Dungeon is more of a Pokémon game.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

what the gently caress :psyduck:

I guess… what the internet really wanted was Pokémon slavery???

For what it's worth, goons love Palworld for living life with little monster buddies and base building and such. The slavery and abuse is an option, sure, and it's what got showcased because it's perfect streamer bait, but from what I've seen, running the game that way is actually less efficient than just being caring and playing to their needs.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

FireWorksWell posted:

For what it's worth, goons love Palworld for living life with little monster buddies and base building and such. The slavery and abuse is an option, sure, and it's what got showcased because it's perfect streamer bait, but from what I've seen, running the game that way is actually less efficient than just being caring and playing to their needs.

Yeah you definitely want to keep them happy so they are productive.

It’s definitely more of a colony management simulator.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Is the game pass version still sucky? I would like to try this (on pc)

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I think the only thing the Game Pass version is missing is custom servers.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

American McGay posted:

I think the only thing the Game Pass version is missing is custom servers.

I got the warning when the game loaded up that it was a pre-release/unfinished version. Is that how it is on steam and poo poo even though they've sold millions of copies?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Yes it’s tagged on Steam as early access.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

American McGay posted:

Yes it’s tagged on Steam as early access.

Good to know. I didn't know an early access game would sell that many copies.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

1glitch0 posted:

Good to know. I didn't know an early access game would sell that many copies.

It's certainly got it's issues (that the devs hace aaid theylre already working on via roadmap) but I can't think of many early accesses that have gone as smoothly as the steam version on launch

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
The only real issue I've ran into for Palworld on Xbox is terrain not loading in correctly which is a problem for a lot of reasons. Otherwise it runs fine.

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

You also can't rename your character or Pals on the Gamepass version, which is mildly annoying but not a dealbreaker.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I've never played a Resident Evil game before but I started playing RE2 on Game Pass and it's pretty loving good!

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

1glitch0 posted:

I've never played a Resident Evil game before but I started playing RE2 on Game Pass and it's pretty loving good!

You got nowhere to go but down from here

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Wrong he hasn’t played RE1 yet.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
re4 remake is better than 2 and 3 remakes

i also love 7 and 8

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

for the current run I’d go 2,4,7,8,3 and they’re all better than remake 1

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Quantum of Phallus posted:

for the current run I’d go 2,4,7,8,3 and they’re all better than remake 1

:chloe:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

sorry

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Remake 1 is still tank control.

I say tanks but no tanks.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Remake 1 is still tank control.

I say tanks but no tanks.

The HD remake that came out in 2015 has a non-tank option and it finally made that game playable for me. It’s a great game.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Tank controls rule

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I find it hard to pick between 2 and 4 because I'm in love with Leon.

2 was always the best traditional RE game and the remake is basically a perfect update of that.

OG 4 was incredibly silly, which is why I liked it so much. It lost about 5% of that silliness in the translation to remake but the gameplay is even more wonderful, so it has pros and cons.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

https://x.com/IdleSloth84_/status/1751946565223112994?s=20

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Kinect killed the Xbox it’s sad to see

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

They called it the Xbox 720 because you had to twirl around 720 degrees to calibrate the Kinect.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I guess it’s good to know that they wanted to push the TV poo poo from day one

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

I went to a store not so long ago to buy a new mattress and they had this ~interactive feature~ where you could lie on a bed and it would map out how you lie on a screen and show areas of high vs. low pressure etc, and when you lay down and looked up you could see the kinect built into the frame

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

kecske posted:

I went to a store not so long ago to buy a new mattress and they had this ~interactive feature~ where you could lie on a bed and it would map out how you lie on a screen and show areas of high vs. low pressure etc, and when you lay down and looked up you could see the kinect built into the frame

Its called a Lay of P

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

kecske posted:

I assume it just tells you to buy the most expensive mattress in the store regardless of the result

the rat fandom
Apr 28, 2010

Man, losing what could have been with full 360 backwards compatibility hurts.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
PS4 would have murdered that thing even harder.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I'm looking to buy a gamepad for my windows PC and after doing a bit of research it seems like getting an xbox one controller with wireless adapter dongle is the right choice. Research says the bluetooth capability isn't great and that i want to get a dongle, which I'm fine with. I have plenty of USB slots.

I'm looking to get a customized pad since it's only a few dollars more than retail xbone controllers. However, I'm running into an issue when looking up the wireless adapter. It looks like the market is just flooded with clones and I can't tell if they're just as good as the OEM or what even is the OEM one anymore. Would I be able to just walk into a gamestop or best buy to buy one? I'm looking on microcenter and newegg and they all suspiciously look like knockoffs. Are those fine or should I look for an official one?

Back when I got the 360, there was an actual official xbox game pad that came with a PC dongle but I've long since lost that dongle so I'm out of luck and want to buy a new pair.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Chill la Chill posted:

I'm looking to buy a gamepad for my windows PC and after doing a bit of research it seems like getting an xbox one controller with wireless adapter dongle is the right choice. Research says the bluetooth capability isn't great and that i want to get a dongle, which I'm fine with. I have plenty of USB slots.

I'm looking to get a customized pad since it's only a few dollars more than retail xbone controllers. However, I'm running into an issue when looking up the wireless adapter. It looks like the market is just flooded with clones and I can't tell if they're just as good as the OEM or what even is the OEM one anymore. Would I be able to just walk into a gamestop or best buy to buy one? I'm looking on microcenter and newegg and they all suspiciously look like knockoffs. Are those fine or should I look for an official one?

Back when I got the 360, there was an actual official xbox game pad that came with a PC dongle but I've long since lost that dongle so I'm out of luck and want to buy a new pair.

I play lot with Xbox one controller on PC and the Bluetooth is fine. I've never had any problems. Witcher 3, Elden Ring, Yakuzas, they all work fine.
I do have a third party charging dock, but that just gives it juice. You can also use any Micro USB to power it or AA-batteries.

Also if you're thinking about getting a custom gamepad, You're thinking about Xbox Series X controller, not Xbox one.
They use USB-C as a power cable.

Official customized Xbox controllers:
https://xboxdesignlab.xbox.com/

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

TheScott2K posted:

PS4 would have murdered that thing even harder.

4Gb of RAM, it would have been called the "wrong and little RAM" console

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
PS4 was gonna have 4GBs of RAM too before capcom and other devs begged them to put more in. Maybe the same would've happened here who knows

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I had already 16gb of RAM and a 250Gb SSD for games on my PC in 2013. The PS4 and Xbone releasing with SATA2 not being able to take full advantage of a SSD was a tragedy. I still think they both came out kinda underpowered compared to the PS5/Xbox Series X. Still better than the PS360 tho.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

In case people forgot, Square sold a bunch of franchises to The Embracer Group so that they could invest in crypto or whatever.

Now of course, Embracer is falling apart because they got too big too fast and the Saudis didn’t bail them out, so now they are killing studios left and right

Now this happens-

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1752015148213064092?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Guillermus posted:

I had already 16gb of RAM and a 250Gb SSD for games on my PC in 2013. The PS4 and Xbone releasing with SATA2 not being able to take full advantage of a SSD was a tragedy. I still think they both came out kinda underpowered compared to the PS5/Xbox Series X. Still better than the PS360 tho.
:hai:

you could already get full sized PCI-E SSDs at the time, that gen should have been the one to cut loading times to near zero

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

SSDs were still too much in 2013 for the amount of storage you really needed for games at the time especially when targeting a $399 price point, like it would have been a deal to get a decent 240 gig SSD for under $200 at the time. No argument that they should have leveraged better SATA connectivity, though.