Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Mega64 posted:

Yeah, but ideally I'd like to stream to my TV at 4k if possible, and I don't know if the Deck would do that. Probably, but better to ask first.

If I were to get a dongle, I'd rather get one with ethernet access, even though my router's good enough to cut down any latency (at least based on previous times I messed around streaming Steam games on my Deck and hacked Switch). I'd be cool getting a dongle, just no idea what would be best, whether a Raspberry Pi or whatever else.
Consider an Apple TV (the model with an Ethernet port) and either an Xbox or PlayStation controller, and run Steam Link. It works a lot better and more conveniently than I expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

BG3 is still really buggy. there’s too many little cases of bugs or jank to list during every fight or while navigating the world or when trying to interact with the misery that is its inventory UI, but it’s relentless. We couldn’t go to an area in act 1 in multiplayer because every time a forced NPC conversation ended she would instantly start it again and repeat it like it had never happened, trapping that player forever. We had to leave a major questline in act 2 unfinished because an NPC bugged out and wouldn’t go somewhere he was supposed to. there’s an area in act 3 we just can’t visit because it will crash the game every time. NPCs act like we haven’t done quests that we’ve actually completed. There’s been a recurring bug throughout the whole game where one player in conversation will see all of the current set of dialogue options replaced with “1. Continue,” and if it happens to the controlling player then it just picks whatever the first dialogue option was supposed to be, which is a lot of fun when it’s an important conversation and the other player can see that there were actually supposed to have 7 choices. Game’s great when it actually works but there’s a whole lot of times when it doesn’t.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Moonlight runs way better for me than either the physical or the steam link app ever did

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Owl Inspector posted:

BG3 is still really buggy. there’s too many little cases of bugs or jank to list during every fight or while navigating the world or when trying to interact with the misery that is its inventory UI, but it’s relentless. We couldn’t go to an area in act 1 in multiplayer because every time a forced NPC conversation ended she would instantly start it again and repeat it like it had never happened, trapping that player forever. We had to leave a major questline in act 2 unfinished because an NPC bugged out and wouldn’t go somewhere he was supposed to. there’s an area in act 3 we just can’t visit because it will crash the game every time. NPCs act like we haven’t done quests that we’ve actually completed. There’s been a recurring bug throughout the whole game where one player in conversation will see all of the current set of dialogue options replaced with “1. Continue,” and if it happens to the controlling player then it just picks whatever the first dialogue option was supposed to be, which is a lot of fun when it’s an important conversation and the other player can see that there were actually supposed to have 7 choices. Game’s great when it actually works but there’s a whole lot of times when it doesn’t.

Yeah, seems like the people who do encounter bugs have extremely cursed games. It's never just "a quest didn't complete"

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Maybe multiplayer in bg3 might jusy be a lot more buggy still than single player? I tried a co op game last month and it was getting constant disconnects

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Maybe multiplayer in bg3 might jusy be a lot more buggy still than single player? I tried a co op game last month and it was getting constant disconnects

I've been playing a coop campaign with 3 people since launch and we never had a disconnect happen even once.

I'd look into your internet connections.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Disconnects have never been a problem for us.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Owl Inspector posted:

Anecdotal, yeah, but I think I only had two bugs in my full playthrough. A conversation got stuck one time during act 2 and I had to reload a save and Wyll's conversation triggers completely fell apart at the end of his quest. Maybe MP is just more error prone, I don't know, but I had a pretty smooth experience overall.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Mass Effect 3 launching in 800x600 by default. 2012 might as well have been the Dark Ages

e: my Mass Effect 2 save must have been local and on my previous computer, since I can't seem to import my character. Bummer

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jan 27, 2024

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Phlegmish posted:

Mass Effect 3 launching in 800x600 by default. 2012 might as well have been the Dark Ages

e: my Mass Effect 2 save must have been local and on my previous computer, since I can't seem to import my character. Bummer
Depending on how much you care, there are Mass Effect save repositories and you can probably find a save somewhat close to you own. There are also robust save editors available, if you wanted to fine tune someone else's save data to better match your own decisions.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

early access is pretty much the only way that retro shooters get made. nearly all of them release the first episode as early access (almost like the old era of shareware where you'd buy a disk in a store if you didn't have a modem/BBS access) and then do the other two-three episodes over the following 1-2 years

HROT, Dread Templar, Turbo Overkill and Lunacid all released in 1.0 last year. i've got several that should hit 1.0 this year as well: Wrath, Viscerafest, Hyperviolent, Extraneum, Beyond Sunset, and Dread Delusion (which just put out a huge update this week). and that's ignoring games i don't have like Supplice, Forgive Me Father 2, Wizordum, Project Warlock II, etc

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008

Mega64 posted:

Yeah, but ideally I'd like to stream to my TV at 4k if possible, and I don't know if the Deck would do that. Probably, but better to ask first.

If I were to get a dongle, I'd rather get one with ethernet access, even though my router's good enough to cut down any latency (at least based on previous times I messed around streaming Steam games on my Deck and hacked Switch). I'd be cool getting a dongle, just no idea what would be best, whether a Raspberry Pi or whatever else.

Steam Deck will be fine for streaming at 4K as long as the monitor/tv you are streaming to is also 4K. Just make sure the dock you have supports 4K 60hz and you are good to go. I typically run my games on my gaming PC at 1440p so I can maintain 60+ fps and then uprez it to 4K through the moonlight app and it looks great.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Mega64 posted:

I have my computer in the basement, and want to play Steam and other games in my living room with the best possible specs. Everything would be connected with Ethernet. What's the best way to set this up? I have a Steam Deck, would getting a dock be good enough, or should I look into some other hardware?

SD works perfectly fine for streaming at 4k. That's actually my secondary use case for my deck and I'd say I use it that way several times per week. Like you, I've got everything wired up with ethernet. I have this dock and find the docking/undocking experience to be almost as seamless as using my Switch:

https://www.amazon.com/JSAUX-Compatible-Ethernet-Charging-Deck-HB0603-dp-B0B7HVZNMB/dp/B0B7HVZNMB/ref=dp_ob_title_ce?th=1

Regular steam link streaming works pretty flawlessly for me, but lots of people swear by using moonlight/sunshine

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Looks like there's a gift card scam going around; Hijacked accounts sending you links to redeem a steam gift card except they lead to steammcommunmity or some comically bad URL like that. Sadly I forgot to check if the guy who sent me the link was a goon before I unfriended them.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I've just unlocked job changing in LaD:IW

oh no

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Phlegmish posted:

Just gonna add that I tried to play ME3 without loading in an ME2 save (since I'd lost it in a hard drive death) and the lovely, dull things the game did to me without an ME2 history to work from ended up making me so incredibly angry that I stopped, three-quarters of the way through ME3, and completely replayed ME2 over the course of a week just to be able to stuff a proper save in there.

I more or less enjoyed ME3 with a proper ME2 save attached to it, although I understand where the complaints were coming from. I did not enjoy it without the ME2 save at all.

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

Jack Trades posted:

That's loving hilarious.

For the record, 68% render scare with Quality DLSS on a 1080p is giving you 480p is your real resolution.
I don't think it's quite that bad, DLSS would render at 1080p, upscale to the target scaled resolution and then the resolution would again be upscaled to native (not sure if that's with FSR or something custom), it wouldn't reduce its own internal render resolution. If your native is 1440p the default scaled resolution would be 960p so I don't know if/how DLSS even applies there, but at 4K the result was awful because it was DLSS rendering at 1080p -> DLSS upscale to 1440p -> game upscale to 4K. At least that's how I think it's applying?

The original number might have been 67% as that's closer to a step down in resolution from 4K to 1440p, 1440p to 960p, etc.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPhNzYCQtCc

Dunkey had a game jam, and there's some pretty cool submissions. I particularly like Subspace Shootout at 16:44, and Context Catacombs after it at 17:11. I'd buy them if they came to Steam, they look fun and different.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Picayune posted:

Just gonna add that I tried to play ME3 without loading in an ME2 save (since I'd lost it in a hard drive death) and the lovely, dull things the game did to me without an ME2 history to work from ended up making me so incredibly angry that I stopped, three-quarters of the way through ME3, and completely replayed ME2 over the course of a week just to be able to stuff a proper save in there.

I more or less enjoyed ME3 with a proper ME2 save attached to it, although I understand where the complaints were coming from. I did not enjoy it without the ME2 save at all.

Does it make that much difference? I just went through the comic thing and picked the choices that would give me the most to work with in ME3, but I guess that doesn't take into account all the smaller decisions I would have made in ME2, where apparently they just assume you went with the worst option every time.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

Phlegmish posted:

Does it make that much difference? I just went through the comic thing and picked the choices that would give me the most to work with in ME3, but I guess that doesn't take into account all the smaller decisions I would have made in ME2, where apparently they just assume you went with the worst option every time.

From what I remember it just retconned or ignored like 90% of my decisions anyway

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Why not just use some pre made saves a goon made a site for years ago.
http://www.masseffectsaves.com/

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

OgNar posted:

it's still up? brings a tear to my eye

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
It's been several years, but from what I remember the actual official tool wouldn't let me make most of the actual ME2 decisions, so the save it produced wasn't anything like my actual save. Playing with the fake save wasn't going to help much, and playing without it (and also without my ME2 save) meant that most of the playable characters from earlier games were replaced by random boring NPCs who made lovely decisions and then there was an awkward silent gap in which my actual friends were supposed to appear and save the day, only there was no ME2 save, so no one appeared, the plot segment limped to a dull and mediocre end, repeat until dead.

I sort of grumped along with it until the lack of an ME2 save meant that someone important actually died badly. There was no way to save them or prevent this death without the ME2 save plugged in.

The official tool for creating ME1 saves actually worked fairly well, so I'm not sure why the tool for ME2 was such absolute poo poo. Anyway, yes, definitely, go get an ME2 save from somewhere. I don't know if that site was available when I was thrashing around in the mess, but if I'd known about it I'd have been there in a heartbeat.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Depicted: A Draugr Tower which gives -1 Population per Building Placed. Covering the entirety of my starting tile. :supaburn:This one is mine, the rest of the pictures are just grabbed from the Steam page.

Last year, I reviewed the demo for Roots of Yggdrasil during a NextFest. Now it's released into Early Access, but a mostly complete "watching the game for the next 6 months-ish to see what we need to fix/add before calling it 1.0" EA. Having played it for about 5 hours, I figure I might as well give a full review.

Roots of Yggdrasil is a roguelike deckbuilding citybuilder, whose closest analogy is if you took ISLANDERS, made it slightly more mechanically complex, and then dumped it into Against the Storm's run-structure. You draw a hand of cards from a deck, which serves as the list of buildings you're able to put down that turn, the placement of which is otherwise limited by your Supplies (regular building resource) and Eitr (magic building resource). Well, and also physical placement, you do have to squeeze/rotate these buildings to make sure they fit or don't overlap with one another. Might exists so that you can punch away problems (like the aforementioned Draugr Tower) or start a countdown to explore additional procedurally generated tiles. The goal of each fragment is to explore enough new tiles to form a complete connected line to the various Saplings, which have their own conditions that need to be satisfied in order to get them to bloom. Cause enough saplings to bloom and you complete the fragment, at which point you return to the larger run.

The run consists of a board in which you move across various random events/deck manipulation rooms/run-wide bonus artifact rooms while picking which variant of 3 different biomes you want to encounter over the course of 3 fragments before heading up to face the final boss fragment of the run. You aren't technically forced to go forwards and in fact can move sideways along the run-map, but you're being chased by the ever-encroaching darkness of the Ginnungagap and if it catches up then bad stuff happens to you until you're eventually overwhelmed and lose the run. This also creates an interesting dynamic where you can spend more turns in an individual fragment to try and maximize meta-currency farming, but the faster you get out, the more time you have to gallivant about on the run-map.

Once you complete a run, you return to your main base, The Holt. Here you can use Acorns that you get from blooming Saplings to pursue the primary line of upgrades... that apparently is at least partially tied to the overall plot of the game? I saw it mentioned off-hand that actually beating the game for "real" involves growing the Roots of Yggdrasil (hah, title drop) a sufficient amount. You can also use Blueprints to buy buildings and if you have enough Matter you can place them on The Holt in a sort of meta-layer simulation of the main game to decorate your island and give yourself resource bonuses when starting a new run.

That covers most of it? There's also some recurring Norse gods who show up as not-quite-random events during fragments whose characters are meant to be developed over the course of multiple playthroughs, have affinity gauges and... drat it, we were so close to me getting through talking about a roguelike without having to mention Hades for once. Unlike Hades, you have a little bit more control over advancing the gauge since each individual heart is tied to a specific in-game action, although there is still some amount of luck/needing the plot to advance. But it might be possible to complete some of these by accident, even if you don't know what you need to do.

I've had some annoyances where unlocks/achievements have been bugged or the game had to be "reminded" that they existed before being acquired on a later playthrough, although for the most part the game appears fine and feature complete. My biggest gameplay experience disconnect though, is that the game seems to be way too easy by default. I've had some individual fragments go on for longer than I intended, but I haven't yet lost a run, and that's after I've started playing with additional difficulty modifiers added on, partially to try and rectify this and partially to level up the playable characters/starting buildings. Maybe once I get to the middle tier of additional modifier difficulty, all the various debuffs will catch up and crush me into dust, but it feels like I could go pretty high without them being a real issue.

Do I recommend Roots of Yggdrasil? Yes, but I will say that it comes with a very big caveat. You have to like it from the word go, as even if you do everything right the metaprogression is pretty glacial to unfold relative to it being a game whose runs take about an hour if you're obsessive in rotating buildings for maximum efficiency and even less-so otherwise. If you've already played other roguelike/puzzle city builders, but wanted something more middle of the road, well there you go.

Jossar fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Jan 28, 2024

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

On the subject of streaming to a TV, I have another dumb question.

I have a Smart TV, and my gaming PC isn't very far away. Router is next to the television, while the PC is one room over and gets OKAY wifi, but I guess the home is just old enough that the wall in between meant I needed a separate wifi accessory for my PC while I built it.

My TV has the Steam app. Ran that for a bit and was quite impressed! I also have the old Steam Link hardware and never needed to set that up before this latest move. Is there any point to unboxing the Link, or is the TV app sufficient until some stupid smart TV app update bricks it all?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the TV app is probably better, the old hardware steam link can't do 4K or >60hz or the newer fancier codecs

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
If you're impressed by the Steam Link app you'll probably be even more impressed by Moonlight instead. It's just the same thing with a lot more updates and polish.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

OgNar posted:

Good stuff! I'm pretty sure I was a male Paragon romancing Tali when I last played Mass Effect 2 back in 2021 (I have a thing for gas masks), so that's who I'm going with this time as well. This gave me the following options:

http://www.masseffect2saves.com/show_saves.php?g=Male&a=Paragon&r=Tali

Going with German Shepard, both because I like the name and because it seems like a pretty completionist playthrough.

Now to figure out where to put the savefile so I can actually import it.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Never change, Yakuza:

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Okay, turns out German Shepard is this tan guy with blue eyes...sure, I'll keep his original appearance, why not. I'm going to change his class from Soldier to Adept, though. That sounds like fun. I imagine it involves juggling people around in the air and throwing them into walls and stuff.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Random question but does anyone know if Josh Sawyer (Ropekid) is working on Avowed? Doesn't look like he is.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Kaddish posted:

Random question but does anyone know if Josh Sawyer (Ropekid) is working on Avowed? Doesn't look like he is.

https://www.eurogamer.net/whats-going-on-in-avowed-we-quiz-obsidian-after-the-xbox-developer-direct

it's not his main project but he's done a little bit of work on it

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Thanks for all the advice and suggestions! Went ahead and ordered a dock. Guess I should also look into installing Moonlight if it is indeed the better way to stream games.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Kaddish posted:

You could always just PM him and ask him! I'm sure if he's too busy he'll just not answer.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

HopperUK posted:

You could always just PM him and ask him! I'm sure if he's too busy he'll just not answer.

he actually just posted this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BYbbXBv9Dg

and it seems he does seem to be too busy lol, so maybe catch him on twitter for round two

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
New LAD seems to be doing alright for itself.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

gently caress I really enjoy this game so far

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Hogama posted:

New LAD seems to be doing alright for itself.

Is this the first one with a simultaneous PC release?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Mordja posted:

Is this the first one with a simultaneous PC release?

No, the last one was too (outside of Japan), but it also had a new protagonist and combat system, which people weren't sure about. It did sell a lot, but more slowly, over time. Now all the old fans have come around on Ichiban (also Kiryu is a party member in this one).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

gently caress I really enjoy this game so far

how's the sex