Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

the milk machine posted:

edge of tomorrow kicks rear end, Tom cruise is goated

moreover, free croup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

wheres teh drat sequel.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

In Training posted:

wheres teh drat sequel.
i'm glad there isn't, it'd probably suck

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
cinema needs less prequel / fish out of water origin story reboots / sequels

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

how did he get into that cushy military PR job?? i bet he had a wise mentor and a wacky friend, maybe a long-lost love

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Blood Boils posted:

Does Piccolo ever catch a break? I tapped out during the majin buu storyline

his character arc ends with babysitting a literal baby

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

War and Pieces posted:

his character arc ends with babysitting a literal baby

that's basically how it began in dbz too

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

very belated thought on pantheon i thought it was pretty funny how the last couple of episodes made it clear that the whole uploaded intelligence thing was taking off sooner or later regardless of whatever evil steve jobs or his company did in the runup but evil steve jobs still insists on trying to do a genocide anyway despite this predictably causing a fight with literally every other uploaded intelligence in existence at that point

its a pretty effective metaphor for how tech ceos claim to have absolute faith in whatever bullshit theyre pushing this week that will change society forever but dont see any contradiction in how much they have to lie and cheat to get anyone to actually use it the main overarching flaw in the metaphor is that evil steve jobs is actually a tech genius and not just a dealer whos gotten high off his own product

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
Collateral

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I enjoyed Oblivion a lot as well and it's a fantastic looking blu ray. I wish Tom Cruise did more sci-fi

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Clip-On Fedora posted:

Sean Connery telling Wesley Snipes to call him his Senpai and Snipes saying he doesn’t know Senpai from Apple Pie is one of those things that will stay in my head until I die.

Also, the Michael Crichton novel it was based on was way, way more racist apparently

It was also a great loving novel, about on par with Jurassic Park.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

https://x.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1523313569340616704?s=20

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
nobody would pick first cow over pig from the menu, even a joker, because its death on the nile. every free guy would get out unless they don't look up

am i doing this right? snl should hire me

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

This is posting crime, and I hate both of you

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

DaysBefore posted:

Lol a friends exboyfriend once threatened to kick my rear end for 'spoiling' the riot at the end of Gangs of New York

The one in the trailer and all the ads?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

What the gently caress

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

it was making rounds on twitter this weekend, so I finally checked out Steven Soderbergh's unauthorized fan edit of Raiders of the Lost Ark

Soderbergh posted:

Raiders
2014-09-22

I’m assuming the phrase “staging” came out of the theatre world, but it’s equally at home (and useful) in the movie world, since the term (roughly defined) refers to how all the various elements of a given scene or piece are aligned, arranged, and coordinated. In movies the role of editing adds something unique: the opportunity to extend and/or expand a visual (or narrative) idea to the limits of one’s imagination—a crazy idea that works today is tomorrow’s normal.

I value the ability to stage something well because when it’s done well its pleasures are huge, and most people don’t do it well, which indicates it must not be easy to master (it’s frightening how many opportunities there are to do something wrong in a sequence or a group of scenes. Minefields EVERYWHERE. Fincher said it: there’s potentially a hundred different ways to shoot something but at the end of the day there’s really only two, and one of them is wrong). Of course understanding story, character, and performance are crucial to directing well, but I operate under the theory a movie should work with the sound off, and under that theory, staging becomes paramount (the adjective, not the studio. although their logo DOES appear on the front of this…).

So I want you to watch this movie and think only about staging, how the shots are built and laid out, what the rules of movement are, what the cutting patterns are. See if you can reproduce the thought process that resulted in these choices by asking yourself: why was each shot—whether short or long—held for that exact length of time and placed in that order? Sounds like fun, right? It actually is. To me. Oh, and I’ve removed all sound and color from the film, apart from a score designed to aid you in your quest to just study the visual staging aspect. Wait, WHAT? HOW COULD YOU DO THIS? Well, I’m not saying I’m like, ALLOWED to do this, I’m just saying this is what I do when I try to learn about staging, and this filmmaker forgot more about staging by the time he made his first feature than I know to this day (for example, no matter how fast the cuts come, you always know exactly where you are—that’s high level visual math poo poo).

At some point you will say to yourself or someone THIS LOOKS AMAZING IN BLACK AND WHITE and it’s because Douglas Slocombe shot THE LAVENDER HILL MOB and the THE SERVANT and his stark, high-contrast lighting style was eye-popping regardless of medium.

A+ viewing experience. highly recommended

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

his recut of 2001 is also worth seeking out, good stuff

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Pretend I don't know much about film.

What are the major things he does there? Other than the score, which I can't say I'm a fan of, I can't put my finger on why this feels different.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

awkward_turtle posted:

In the book the question is more weighty, because living creatures are objects of essentially religious investment to the point where it's a point of pride and aspirational goal to have a robot dog. Just seeing a turtle would provoke a huge reaction from a human, even more so seeing one suffer. The replicants don't have souls and are more directly cruel, from what I can remember (it's been like 15 years) they have essentially no redeeming characteristics. The best lines in the whole thing were invented for the movie, which delves a lot more into the "enslaved thinking machine" aspect and a lot less into the "nature of self and what it means to have a soul" aspects of the original story.

The mobius strip police station is such a brilliant idea holy poo poo.

What a great and easy read.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

i say swears online posted:

that's basically how it began in dbz too

no he was training a toddler

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

webcams for christ posted:

it was making rounds on twitter this weekend, so I finally checked out Steven Soderbergh's unauthorized fan edit of Raiders of the Lost Ark

A+ viewing experience. highly recommended

wtf this music is crazy

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I actually just downloaded the DBZ Kai Buu saga which I never saw more than 15% of because Cartoon Network's airing schedule for new episodes was so terrible. as always, not enough Vegeta

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

indigi posted:

I actually just downloaded the DBZ Kai Buu saga which I never saw more than 15% of because Cartoon Network's airing schedule for new episodes was so terrible. as always, not enough Vegeta

Vegeta is my himbo hero

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

is he a himbo or a short king

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

is he a himbo or a short king
no, the short king was his father

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

disgust

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Frosted Flake posted:

Pretend I don't know much about film.

What are the major things he does there? Other than the score, which I can't say I'm a fan of, I can't put my finger on why this feels different.

I think calling it a "fan edit" is a bit misleading. I think it's better to call it a "study," since that's what brings Soderbergh to these projects: he wants to learn from other filmmakers, and closely identify what makes great films great

composers are also famous for having done this: transcribing works by ear or studying scores and creating new arrangements. notable examples are Mozart's (possibly apocryphal) transcription of Allegri’s Miserere, his arrangement of Händel's Messiah to a new German libretto, Berlioz's arrangement of Glück's Orfeo ed Euridice, and Benjamin Britten's arrangement of John Gay's The Beggar's Opera (the inspiration for Kurt Weil's Threepenny Opera which gave us "Mack the Knife")

none of these examples stray that far from the source material, but force artists to very closely scrutinize a work they respect and admire.

in Soderbergh's note, he's explicit that his intent was to bring the viewer's attention to the "staging" of Raiders of the Lost Ark. not just the Mise-en-scène, but the cinemetography, lighting, duration of each shot, and editing sequence. this is easier to see in black and white, and without being distracted by the actors' delivery of dialogue

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Professor Beetus posted:

I enjoyed Oblivion a lot

:stare:

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

wtf this music is crazy

it's all recut from the soundtrack of The Social Network, by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross (for which they won a Golden Globe and Oscar)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Consider Phlebas is a very stressful book to read

I can tell why people said not to read this one first, it really does have a different tone than every other Culture book so far

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

indigi posted:

watch the Baby saga in GT

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/SavvyAuntie/status/1751716684405088532?t=wC5IjHFDafYTLKISX9NrPg&s=19

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

god damnit not Martin Short 😞

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
no click zone

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

https://twitter.com/mondomascots/status/1751434611140231399?t=AHCtHx0nqIAjImj2bQf4vw&s=19

Bk.
Nov 9, 2009

https://youtu.be/Zm3p0aNrOQA?si=JrFA0sWpB1Ywdrnf

Never did get around to watching this.
Not sure about this Maher endorsement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

get that money psyduck