Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.

Hadlock posted:

In terms of "oh poo poo, we're traveling, TODAY, IN AN HOUR" tablet streaming video offline mode blah blah power rankings, Disney+ is the undisputed winner. One button to download an entire season of XYZ favorite show? Hell to the hekkin' yes. And it's super fast

Prime has a good variety of kids shows but downloading an entire season is a bunch of taps, and it's a total crap shoot if it actually downloads everything. I'm still waiting for it to download all of season 2 of Clarkson's Farm a year later

Haven't tried Netflix recently they went nazi on logins and hosed my poo poo up

Kiddo is currently working her way though season x of Bluey on Disney plus which was downloaded in like 3 minutes flat

Agreed. Disney+ is the winner the offline downloads category.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Hadlock posted:

In terms of "oh poo poo, we're traveling, TODAY, IN AN HOUR" tablet streaming video offline mode blah blah power rankings, Disney+ is the undisputed winner. One button to download an entire season of XYZ favorite show? Hell to the hekkin' yes. And it's super fast

Prime has a good variety of kids shows but downloading an entire season is a bunch of taps, and it's a total crap shoot if it actually downloads everything. I'm still waiting for it to download all of season 2 of Clarkson's Farm a year later

Haven't tried Netflix recently they went nazi on logins and hosed my poo poo up

Kiddo is currently working her way though season x of Bluey on Disney plus which was downloaded in like 3 minutes flat

Just keep in mind that a Disney+ needs to be open and connected to the Internet occasionally to renew the licenses on downloaded content.

We've been burnt by that before. There's no need to ever open the app at home since we stream to the TV instead, then suddenly we go out and find ourselves with a bunch of movies that we can't play because we hadn't opened the app in months.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Renewing content licenses the night before is a must have item on the travel checklist

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Yeah, sounds like we're really in complete agreement. My reflection was more about the dosage: Assuming the kid is doing something developmentally "useful" with their screen time, making it 1 hour per day or 2 hours shouldn't really matter due to diminishing returns. An hour a day is plenty to provide spatial awareness in virtual worlds, or whatever, since that hour happens daily for a long time. In that case you should probably side with the lower amount.

Why does everything a kid do have to be developmentally "useful"?

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

My wife is convincing my 3 year old that my poop is the only poop in the house that smells and I am feeling personally attacked rn

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
My kids came back from going over to a neighboring kid with one of them having a bleeding nose. Apparently both my kids ran into each other by accident. OK not a big deal I guess, but apparently and this is where I thought "wait, what?" they went to their friends mom first and she wouldn't do anyuthing and told them to go home instead. So he had to run home with a bleeding nose and I had to help him staunch it. Just me who think that's a weird way to act?

My kid said he thinks his friends mom "is a karen, she's bad".

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

At what age is it reasonable to expect a kid to not talk with their mouth full?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Shifty Pony posted:

About 25, give or take a few

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Bluey got me today.

The dad was pretending to be a claw machine or and said “I am not Dad, I am clawbot. Clawbot has no kids, his days are free and easy.”

Heard that my dude, heard that.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Worse day as a parent so far with my toddler who appears to be majorly backsliding with the arrival of baby brother.

Tantrums all day. Refusing to walk anywhere and demanding to be carried. Refusing to go to the potty despite knowing she needs to or even more frustrating saying she needs to go then sitting for one second and getting up and walking away only to say she needs to go again.

Between her, my wife being out of commission breast feeding and recovering from a c section, I am spent.

I need to sleep and I know that won't happen anytime soon. Just got to get to Monday when my toddler will be going back to daycare...

BaseballPCHiker fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jan 28, 2024

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Shifty Pony posted:

I still talk with my mouth full. Mostly to tell my kids to quit doing stupid poo poo at the dinner table.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Full on log in the Batman underpants today.

Why is potty training a thing? Why can’t society just let us all poo poo ourselves endlessly. This sucks.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Apparently once you hit 65 this is an opt in thing

Jury still out on if it's voluntary or not

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

space uncle posted:

Full on log in the Batman underpants today.

Why is potty training a thing? Why can’t society just let us all poo poo ourselves endlessly. This sucks.

My daughter finally started peeing in the potty but she insists on pooping in her underwear still. Not sure if that is better or worse than my son who refused to poop anywhere but the backyard for about 2 months before he finally started using the potty.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Worse day as a parent so far with my toddler who appears to be majorly backsliding with the arrival of baby brother.

Tantrums all day. Refusing to walk anywhere and demanding to be carried. Refusing to go to the potty despite knowing she needs to or even more frustrating saying she needs to go then sitting for one second and getting up and walking away only to say she needs to go again.

Between her, my wife being out of commission breast feeding and recovering from a c section, I am spent.

I need to sleep and I know that won't happen anytime soon. Just got to get to Monday when my toddler will be going back to daycare...

I went through this too with my then 2.5 year old and newborn. You already know this, but it’s a huge life change for everyone and kid #1 isn’t center of the universe anymore. It takes time to adjust but IT WILL GET BETTER.

Daycare is going to be very helpful, hang in there! I definitely found myself taking things day by day, and often times hour by hour. If the day was seeming impossibly long and it was only 8am, telling myself “If I can get through this hour I can get through the day.” Repeat for the rest of the hours of the day and through the night. Going from 0-1 is exponentially easier than 1-2.

The kids are finally old enough (2.5 and 4.5) that I can go to the bathroom for myself for a few minutes until they notice I’m gone and come barging in. I’ve written this entire post while sitting alone on the bathroom floor lol.

Koivunen fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jan 28, 2024

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Potty training has gone great for my 3 year old, but daycare has been a massive help with that. She got bumped into the preschool program and we only occasionally have accidents. Can't imagine doing it without help from her school

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

I finished our annual budget assessment this weekend. The cost of children post-daycare comes up every so often in the thread, so I thought I'd share our child-related spending in 2023 for people's enjoyment.

We have two kids: 8yo daughter in 2nd grade; 5yo son in Kindergarten. In 2023, we spent the below on non-essentials for the kids. Essential costs (e.g. food, clothing, utilities, etc.) aren't covered because it'd be kinda hard for me to break that down with how I track spending. I'm not sure if any of those have changed significantly over the years anyway.

• Childcare - $1200 - my son was in Preschool for the 2022/2023 school year, which is subsidized but not free. This cost includes tuition from Jan - May 2023 and has gone away since he is now in Kindergarten.
  • School fees - $1600 - these are costs that I associate directly with schooling (e.g. registration, lunch, fund-raisers, field trips, etc.).
  • Extracurriculars - $7000 - these are costs that are correlated to school-age children, but not strictly related to school (e.g. soccer fees, summer camps, gymnastics, swim lessons, etc.).

When both kids were in daycare, we spent ~$18,000 a year on that alone, so our kids are significantly less costly now.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Good-Natured Filth posted:

I finished our annual budget assessment this weekend. The cost of children post-daycare comes up every so often in the thread, so I thought I'd share our child-related spending in 2023 for people's enjoyment.

We have two kids: 8yo daughter in 2nd grade; 5yo son in Kindergarten. In 2023, we spent the below on non-essentials for the kids. Essential costs (e.g. food, clothing, utilities, etc.) aren't covered because it'd be kinda hard for me to break that down with how I track spending. I'm not sure if any of those have changed significantly over the years anyway.

• Childcare - $1200 - my son was in Preschool for the 2022/2023 school year, which is subsidized but not free. This cost includes tuition from Jan - May 2023 and has gone away since he is now in Kindergarten.
  • School fees - $1600 - these are costs that I associate directly with schooling (e.g. registration, lunch, fund-raisers, field trips, etc.).
  • Extracurriculars - $7000 - these are costs that are correlated to school-age children, but not strictly related to school (e.g. soccer fees, summer camps, gymnastics, swim lessons, etc.).

When both kids were in daycare, we spent ~$18,000 a year on that alone, so our kids are significantly less costly now.

Yeah as much as those numbers suck to have to pay they are actually pretty drat low for what most of the people I know pay. Good job!

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I cannot wait for my son to start preschool in the fall. I’m not quite sure what the arrangement will be (either public school or a combo of that and some kind of after school care) but it will be less than the $1400/month we pay now. That will be a huge financial burden off our shoulders.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Koivunen posted:

I went through this too with my then 2.5 year old and newborn. You already know this, but it’s a huge life change for everyone and kid #1 isn’t center of the universe anymore. It takes time to adjust but IT WILL GET BETTER. .

Thank you. My toddler poo poo herself, and a smoke alarm managed to malfunction in the middle of the night waking her up, but somehow I survived last night. While she wasn’t quite herself a dad and daughter day at the aquarium seemed to have helped.

I am exhausted but bedtime is in sight. Just have to hope the newborn sleeps well tonight.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

My husband is traveling for work this week. Prior to this we just moved and are still dealing with ~that~, we’re doing renos and selling the old house, both of our jobs are going flat out right, the final paper for my grad class is looming, and we haven’t just gotten a break/had a ‘normal’ week in too long.

That is to say, I look forward to immediately heading to the airport for my own work trip after he returns.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

remigious posted:

I cannot wait for my son to start preschool in the fall. I’m not quite sure what the arrangement will be (either public school or a combo of that and some kind of after school care) but it will be less than the $1400/month we pay now. That will be a huge financial burden off our shoulders.

I saw mention on the parenting Reddit by a daycare instructor that it was abundantly obvious every summer which parents had kids aging into actual public school because they were the ones suddenly driving new cars.

We pay $17k/yr for daycare. Goddamn.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Shifty Pony posted:

I saw mention on the parenting Reddit by a daycare instructor that it was abundantly obvious every summer which parents had kids aging into actual public school because they were the ones suddenly driving new cars.

We pay $17k/yr for daycare. Goddamn.

We pay 28.6k for 11 months, cheapest if the three we looked at in our area :confuoot:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Good-Natured Filth posted:

I finished our annual budget assessment this weekend. The cost of children post-daycare comes up

I'm not complaining, but can someone explain it like I'm 5 about school fundraisers? Bonus points: if you're in uh, the top ~65% of the community income what's the realistic amount you should be donating if you're able. I have a general idea but I'd love to hear the no filter version

We're about 2 years away from this, I think

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

D-Pad posted:

Yeah as much as those numbers suck to have to pay they are actually pretty drat low for what most of the people I know pay. Good job!

We live in a LCOL area (maybe slightly towards MCOL), so we're fortunate in that regard. It's still crazy how much daycare costs comparatively, even in a LCOL area like ours.

Edit:

Hadlock posted:

I'm not complaining, but can someone explain it like I'm 5 about school fundraisers? Bonus points: if you're in uh, the top ~65% of the community income what's the realistic amount you should be donating if you're able. I have a general idea but I'd love to hear the no filter version

It's going to depend heavily on your specific school district and probably the school within your district - along with the PTO / PTA (Parent Teachers Org / Assc). The PTO where for our kids elementary school runs 3 big fund-raisers a year:
  • Back-to-School Bash - they sell spirit wear items to make money during this.
  • Penny Wars - a week where class rooms try to bring in the most pennies with the winning classroom getting a party.
  • Spring Frenzy - they sell tickets for entry, raffle tickets, and baked goods to make money during this.

Throughout the year, there are also various events like Christmas concerts and art galleries where they sell tickets for entry or items for purchase, but those are usually specific grades and not school-wide. Teachers will also ask for donations of items (typically food-related for parties) from parents as well.

We're well off for our location, and of the $1600 I mentioned we spend on school-related things, maybe $150 of that is specific to fundraising. The majority of that line item is lunch costs.

But it really will depend on your school district and how poo poo/good their government funding is. Also, some PTOs are really good, and some suck rear end. Lots of variables at play.

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jan 29, 2024

Mr. Freebus
Sep 7, 2007

please do not shut down
lil vent sorry! well i am almost 34 weeks pregnant and nesting kicked in. had both the floor bed and crib in my 15 month old's room so i rearranged her room and disassembled the crib and moved it to our room... despite the fact that we likely wont even use it for baby #2 until he is about 6 months old. i am an idiot.

toddler is on day 2 of no naps because of this. coslept with her on the floor bed last night which was dicey because she is a squirmer and my belly is massive at this point. cat was hunting toys and howling all night right outside her door. toddler kept jolting awake and shouting MEOW and falling back asleep (lol). i tried to sneak out a few times because my hips were killing me but she immediately noticed and freaked out every time. tonight i was able to escape a few minutes after she went to bed! i feel like a total rear end in a top hat for springing this change on her for no real reason.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

Hadlock posted:

I think it varies a lot based on how your state handles school funding and your particular school/district. I'm in Texas, which somehow passed a law 30 years ago that "recaptures" funding from richer districts and distributes it to lower income districts. Richer districts responded by slashing property taxes to the bone and doing a lot of their school funding through private fundraising, naturally. This means that the "best" public schools tend to have a really weird vibe with both the PTA and fundraisers and just generally expecting parents to pay for tons of stuff, but even then I think we don't personally give more than 300-500 a year maybe for our 2nd grader? But there's a ton of "standard" (or well it'd feel standard for a museum or something) charity stuff we don't participate in like silent auctions, and I got a flyer once for a charity dinner with the most expensive table at a grand I'm pretty sure. Most of what we do is just basic stuff like buying things off the classroom amazon list and contributing to various gifts for teachers, maybe pick up some 20 dollar raffle tickets (they raffled taylor swift tickets last year.) But certainly the sky appears to be the limit and the PTA has..a lot of money and as a result a ton of influence at the school.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah I'm very curious about this Amazon list thing

I think we dipped our toe in this with charter school discussion earlier this month but like, what happens if you just buy out 85% of the Amazon wish list for your classroom? Is this $1000? 3000? Genuinely curious how underfunded public classrooms are. I'm just wondering on a very broad scale here

It's been 30+ years but I distinctly recall having to bring in X things of Kleenex, colored pencils, crayons etc. At the time it seemed... Normal? I guess in retrospect it's more shining a spotlight on how badly schools are funded

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

It really is going to depend on your specific school and how well funded it is from your local government. Most schools will have a list of things for your kid to bring on the first day for their own personal school supplies (crayons, pencils, glue, etc.). Then, you might have a shared supply list (tissues, etc.). If you go generic brands on this stuff, you can probably get by with $100 or less.

Amazon lists will depend on the teacher and how much they can get through existing school / PTO funding. Our daughter's teacher's list has $300 worth of stuff right now. Our son's teacher doesn't maintain an Amazon list.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
An odd data point here: my first grader's school PTO funds all school supplies (kids and teachers) and field trips and MA provides free school lunches so we pay almost nothing outside of extra curriculars, camp, and an annual PTO donation. Iirc we donated around $300 for the 23-34 school year. I think it was about the same last year.

funny song about politics
Feb 11, 2002
Toddler has a fever yet again, though he seems fine otherwise. Between PD days at his daycare, non-statutory holidays, and illness, I would love to have a normal, uninterrupted work week at some point. This gets better, right?

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Blinkz0rz posted:

An odd data point here: my first grader's school PTO funds all school supplies (kids and teachers) and field trips and MA provides free school lunches so we pay almost nothing outside of extra curriculars, camp, and an annual PTO donation. Iirc we donated around $300 for the 23-34 school year. I think it was about the same last year.

fascinating - we are in MA too but our son is too young for school atm, what do you think about all of the different teacher strikes in MA? have you seen any issues with teachers getting the support they need in your neck of the woods?

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

funny song about politics posted:

Toddler has a fever yet again, though he seems fine otherwise. Between PD days at his daycare, non-statutory holidays, and illness, I would love to have a normal, uninterrupted work week at some point. This gets better, right?

I think eventually they get old enough that they can entertain themselves a bit better. Or so I've heard.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

funny song about politics posted:

man i hope so.

the nanny came down with covid on thursday night, and then our kid got it on saturday night. of course she's so new that she had almost no sick time accrued, so we 'advanced' her a day's worth to cover friday, but now she's going to be pushing hard to come back as soon as possible. meanwhile the other kid in the nanny share was sick with something else, but he had covid a month ago so he's probably pretty safe.

luckily our kid hasn't been too bad. fever stays down with alternating ibuprofen and acetaminophen, and his only other symptom has been an intermittent runny nose. my wife and I got our boosters a while back so we're either shaking it off or just haven't started showing symptoms yet.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Mad Wack posted:

fascinating - we are in MA too but our son is too young for school atm, what do you think about all of the different teacher strikes in MA? have you seen any issues with teachers getting the support they need in your neck of the woods?

The only one I'm aware of is Newton and I fully support the teachers. Most of the Boston suburbs are going through a demographic shift from older townies to younger families and there's still a tension between what older folks want to vote for and what families need so I'm not surprised that this has come up. It'll probably continue to come up over the next 5-10 years.

For our school the PTO is very strong and is very protective of the teachers so they get what they need in terms of supplies, tools, etc. I'm sure it's different in other schools even in our town but I don't know how different.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Every single day I try to do all these chores so my wife can come home and relax, and instead she just finds other chores to do. I'm going to have to strap her to a couch and point HGTV at her face.

chadbear
Jan 15, 2020

My little one has been surprisingly cheap till now. We were lucky to get mountains of baby clothes, toys and equipment from friends and family so we only had to buy some select items, most of them used for cheap. Also we just got a place in a daycare from the age of 1, and luckily it is free in Germany. Y‘all‘s US numbers are scary.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Kiddo learned how to drink from a straw the other day. Exciting new things :roflolmao:

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
I paid $16,500ish for part time daycare for two kids last year. I exceeded the “scholarship” income cap by $2,000. If I had made $2k fewer dollars, I could have qualified for $10,000 in childcare money from the state. The same income cap got me booted off state insurance so now I have to pay $340/mo for lovely individual health insurance for myself. Fortunately my kids still qualify for state insurance. Shame on me for working to support my family!

AMERICA!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I found out we are 92nd on our first choice daycare’s wait list. KG3 has been on the waitlist since first trimester. They have 28 infant spots. Fortunately the neighborhood is moderately high turnover, but I don’t think we are getting in for our September target date.

If we get in, we pay $660/wk for full time infant. This is the cheapest and best option in our neighborhood that works for my wife and I. :wrongcity: