Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
Some really cool details in this, Kawakami talks to Shanahan about his experiences with Bill Belichick and Pete Carroll. https://theathletic.com/5225441/2024/01/24/kyle-shanahan-49ers-belichick-carroll-kawakami/

quote:

Which is probably why he immediately frowned hard when I told him he sort of calls games like an old coach — valuing every possession, playing the percentages, avoiding daredevil strategies that add too much risk to the potential result.

“I feel like I coach like a person who has experience,” Shanahan said, still frowning. “No one’s ever told me the way you worded it. Like, people have actually worded it the exact opposite — to settle down, not do something crazy; those were things maybe I needed to hear when I was a coordinator.”

quote:

I remember the first time I got to play against him (Bill Belichick). It was in Houston (in 2009, Shanahan’s fourth year as Texans assistant and second as an offensive coordinator). … And they had this huge all-out blitz thing they were doing … and I was doing the third-down thing and I couldn’t come up with a protection to pick it up. They were just always bringing one extra. And I remember making up a protection for my first time and trying it out because we had to do it because it was something he was doing schematically.

And now I’ve used that protection my whole life.

quote:

Pete’s a different deal because I remember (when Shanahan was working) in Houston, he was down there with the Trojans at USC, and (then-Trojan assistant) Steve Sarkisian called me up and they were trying to get me to come down there and to work with Pete. And it was real tempting ’cause of what they were doing and stuff. But I kinda had the same position at Houston and I was such an NFL fan. But that’s where I felt we got close to working together.

Then after we got let go in Washington (in December 2013), I remember Seattle was playing in the Super Bowl. And I didn’t know if I was gonna get a job. So I was hoping that I could maybe just come there and help out and be under contract and stuff. But fortunately, I got a job, went to Cleveland (as the Browns’ offensive coordinator). And Pete and I never really talked until we started competing against each other.

Then competing against him, it was different. Bill, I always had to go against schematically growing up (as a coordinator). But with Pete, it was as a head coach. And Pete, you just learned what you had to do as a head coach to prepare your team to play against them. Their team played at another level than most guys. And when you talk about how they compete and all that stuff and all those words that he uses, which is great, but what really is great is the film that he had.

And I really caught it right away in my first year as a head coach, just how physical they were on offense, defense, special teams. Regardless of what you were playing with schematically, really what it came down to is how much you got after it and how physical guys were.

That’s what I always felt like. Us and Seattle played a little bit differently. I think that always started with Pete..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
The Oline Committee gushing a bit about Purdy and the Niners' oline run-blocking, and also grimacing at the Niners' oline pass-blocking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFNZsgoTnY0

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Papercut posted:

The Oline Committee gushing a bit about Purdy and the Niners' oline run-blocking, and also grimacing at the Niners' oline pass-blocking

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFNZsgoTnY0

Hmm I suggest the niners just run the drat ball.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
Oline Committee video was excellent, I miss Boone :smith: JD gives a few more options than just run the ball (which is surely the best option).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCs8r2QvseM

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
My favorite thing about the Purdy debate is that almost nothing that can possibly happen in the next 3 weeks is going to change anybody's mind. This is going to provide content for at least the next 3 years.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

After watching videos and reading previews for the game, i'm getting that sweet, sweet pre-game anxiety.

Man I love football

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

DancingMachine posted:

My favorite thing about the Purdy debate is that almost nothing that can possibly happen in the next 3 weeks is going to change anybody's mind. This is going to provide content for at least the next 3 years.

He's gonna have to win multiple SBs to change a lot of these minds and even then some would still credit Kyle

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

DancingMachine posted:

Threoretically, Purdy could win Super Bowl MVP while barefoot and padless, after every o lineman has gone down to injury and Aiyuk, Deebo and McCaffrey have been kidnapped by aliens, with only Kittle left to hike the ball before running his route. Shanahan has an aneurysm after the first snap and the rest of the game is called by Jed York from his luxury suite, and people would still say it was due to Shanahan’s brilliance and the talented skill players, and Purdy just managed the game.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Deebo officially removed from the injury report, will play Sunday :toot:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

DancingMachine posted:

If the Niners win it all and Purdy looks great and puts up all-timer numbers he could win over as much as 5% of the anti-Purdy crowd.

Papercut posted:

Yesssssss

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Papercut posted:

:haibrower:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Papercut posted:

Sorry about this, Lions.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Jimmy G is what Purdy haters imagine when they describe Purdy.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Purdy's a Flacco for sure. it'd be funnier if he were a Dilfer or Johnson, but he's p good.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Papercut posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWapqVpWZzE

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

I hope the 49ers of San Francisco are victorious today

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

GAME DAY

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I'm nervous but cautiously optimistic.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
As much as I want the Lions to win, they'd have to do something truly spectacular to win even if Deebo wasn't playing.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
I was getting hyped to go see the game in person but then my tickets sold last night at like 10pm lol.

Go Niners, I'll be watching from my couch instead lol.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

MakaVillian posted:

I hope the 49ers of San Francisco are victorious today

This is real sick and twisted man.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I hope they lose and cry and poop their pants on the field and then everybody points and laughs at their shame

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Benne posted:

I hope they lose and cry and poop their pants on the field and then everybody points and laughs at their shame

Well at least they'll have stayed true with the runs

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I hope CMC spent yesterday studying highlights of the Raheem Mostert game.

Blessed be those who Run.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Nervous posted:

This is real sick and twisted man.

Brother, you don't know the half of it

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Benne posted:

Can we all just be adults here and agree that this is the best possible outcome?

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Lifespan posted:

Can we all just be adults here and agree that this is the best possible outcome?

I’m quite certain the answer is no.

No one here can be an adult.

Go Niners.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Coldforge posted:

Go Niners.

:hmmyes:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Coldforge posted:

Go Niners.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Coldforge posted:

Go Niners.

Hell yeah

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I just went out for noodles and dumplings and goddamn but it's a nice day in SF.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

mllaneza posted:

I just went out for noodles and dumplings and goddamn but it's a nice day in SF.

Also a very nice day in Santa Clara, more importantly :hmmyes:

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Mustached Demon posted:

Lamar does Russell Wilson bullshit better than Russell Wilson could ever. Oh he's also good in the pocket.

Oh word? I seem to recall Russ doing god tier bullshit to come from behind to win a playoff game to go to the Super Bowl

Remind me when hasLamar has done that?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Its Rinaldo posted:

Oh word? I seem to recall Russ doing god tier bullshit to come from behind to win a playoff game to go to the Super Bowl

lmfao

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Its Rinaldo posted:

I think we can agree they both threw fantastic interceptions when they probably should have run the ball.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Coldforge posted:

I think we can agree they both threw fantastic interceptions when they probably should have run the ball.

:hmmyes:

If I can’t be incredibly petty arguing about sports what is the point :v:

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Jfc Niners

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

the run has been established

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Going in, I felt Wilks should load the box and force them to pass. Take away their greatest strength and all. The sort of thing Belichick has done forever. But nope, typical vanilla D they have been playing all year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

Going in, I felt Wilks should load the box and force them to pass. Take away their greatest strength and all. The sort of thing Belichick has done forever. But nope, typical vanilla D they have been playing all year.

Also same sloppy mistakes, edge players failing to set the edge, linebackers over pursuing and leaving their gaps. They've had all season to figure this poo poo out.