Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

There's also a kit of just the pagoda mast.

https://www.hlj.com/1-350-scale-ijn-battleship-fuso-special-edition-bridge-fuj60077

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Sure, but what if you could get ten times that much bridge?

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/border-model-bs-002-akagi-bridge-w-flight-deck--1485424

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Don't forget the aftermarket wood decks and photoetch for those 1/350 battleships, because someone invariably makes something that corrects the parent kit or modifies it to a refit period. Not criticizing or anything; on the wooden ship side of the shop I don't think you will find anyone (in this thread at least) who doesn't at least look at using aftermarket parts somewhere in their builds. If you're going to be committing to the investment in time that a major kit represents, may as well have the right materials on hand to make it look its best.

Fearless fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Jan 28, 2024

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

Even with my 1/700 ships I have fully accepted that the photoetch/detail sets for the kits will easily cost the same or more than the base kit itself and have to factor this in when I buy ships now (I tend to avoid ones without included etch or available aftermarket). It's a slippery slope, once you start detailing your ships you can't go back!

I've even found myself coming across and buying rare sheets of photoetch (e.g. Fujimi's Shinano set) and then having to buy the kit for it afterwards.

tidal wave emulator fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jan 28, 2024

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Fearless posted:

Don't forget the aftermarket wood decks and photoetch for those 1/350 battleships, because someone invariably makes something that corrects the parent kit or modifies it to a refit period. Not criticizing or anything; on the wooden ship side of the shop I don't think you will find anyone (in this thread at least) who doesn't at least look at using aftermarket parts somewhere in their builds. If you're going to be committing to the investment in time that a major kit represents, may as well have the right materials on hand to make it look its best.

I have no idea what you are talking about! :imunfunny:

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Very nice work! Did you end up using pigments, or a light spray coat for the dust? Either way, it turned out great!

Thanks! I have some Vallejo desert yellow pigment so I just dabbed it on with a stiff brush and it worked pretty well. It was definitely the lazy way to do it lol. It kinda sucks that it ended up covering some of the chipping but I guess that would happen to a real Bradley too. I'm still debating if I want to attach stowage to it I guess it would look more realistic if I did.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
When I was a kid I had some HO scale operating industries like this Tyco crane. Does nobody make anything like this anymore?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

In HO, not really. Tyco and Life Like were the last two bastions of operating accessories like that and neither is around any more. There is a German company (forget which) that makes an operating container gantry but it is expensive and finicky.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
So just like real container gantry cranes.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
That's too bad. No wonder model railroading is dying.

Edit: I wonder if I can 3D print some n scale industries. I guess I would have to learn how to make 3D models. And how toys work.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

PerniciousKnid posted:

That's too bad. No wonder model railroading is dying.

Edit: I wonder if I can 3D print some n scale industries. I guess I would have to learn how to make 3D models. And how toys work.
My dad had a lionel setup that took up like 1/4 of the basement when I was a kid, and the only interesting things about it were all the goofy action cars. He had one that unloaded logs, one that loaded(?) milk cans, and one that launched a satellite. My brothers and I would get those set up and do them a couple times and then just sort of wander away because otherwise it's just a train going around and around in the dingy basement.

So without rad poo poo like that, what's the point?

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

stealie72 posted:

and one that launched a satellite

Like, launched it across the basement?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Skunkduster posted:

Like, launched it across the basement?
Launched it straight up into the ceiling. You sat it on the flatbed car and wound it up, then running it over the magnet section would launch it.

https://www.lionel.com/products/3510-satellite-launching-car-6-29854/

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

stealie72 posted:

So without rad poo poo like that, what's the point?

That's the dividing line between tinplate and scale model railroads.

Tinplate (which is the adult way to say toy trains even though they haven't been metal for decades and decades) does still have all that sort of stuff. Giraffes ducking into cars, dumping things into and out of cars, all that is still available in the scales that tinplate prevails. That's pretty much O and the broad group called G. S was, but S has turned into a craftsman scale after American Flyer, Marx, and Gilbert left the market.

HO was always more of a scale, uh, scale. The inherent delicacy of the smaller scale lent itself to being immediately a hobby scale than the tinplate toy scale. Not to say it wasn't possible, because it definitely happened. Tinplate HO began to disintegrate in the early 80s and was all but gone by the mid 90s.

The other scales never experienced the tinplate branch, either because they came late enough to immediately become scale or had some shortcomings that prevented it. N, for instance, was always too delicate to be a tinplate scale.

The funny part is that the kids who grew up with the Tyco HO tinplate are starting to become deep pocketed collectors themselves. Classic Lionel and American Flyer is dying off and their prices are dropping while Tyco is climbing. I'm guilty of this too. I dropped $40 on a sealed in box Tyco kit I got for Christmas back in 1988 that couldn't have been more than $7 to $10 originally. It isn't even going on my layout. Just wanted to have it again.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Sash! posted:

the dividing line between tinplate and scale model railroads.
This all makes a ton of sense, because you're not going to make a realistic Lionel town without a ton of space to do it in.

Always thought of the smaller scales as sort of boring, but the way you laid this out (see what I did there?) it makes sense that building the world for the train is at least half the point.

Sash! posted:

The funny part is that the kids who grew up with the Tyco HO tinplate are starting to become deep pocketed collectors themselves. Classic Lionel and American Flyer is dying off and their prices are dropping while Tyco is climbing. I'm guilty of this too. I dropped $40 on a sealed in box Tyco kit I got for Christmas back in 1988 that couldn't have been more than $7 to $10 originally. It isn't even going on my layout. Just wanted to have it again.
This also makes a lot of sense. Even though I grew up with my dad's 50s-70s lionel trains, I have no nostalgia for them and if I was going to pick out a set based on nostalgia it would be something like the tyco GI Joe train.

Edit: which is actually kind of a piece of crap: https://www.3djoes.com/1983-electric-train-and-battle-set-tyco.html

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jan 29, 2024

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

stealie72 posted:

Always thought of the smaller scales as sort of boring, but the way you laid this out (see what I did there?) it makes sense that building the world for the train is at least half the point.

While there's no shortage of guys who will build models of railroad equipment that go on a shelf like a regular plastic model, most do treat the trains as half of the hobby. There's some that forgo a lot of detail to the diorama aspect in order to simulate the movement of trains based on actual operating rules, some guys that want to build model ships so their layout is set at a port, or go with the Civil War to make little soldiers too.

And there are guys who use the trains as set decoration for their structures like this one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luUEvCk-u0Q

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
It's finally here! With a bit of cash I got at christmas, as well as some cash I got back when re-upping my mortgage earlier this year, I splurged on a Benchvent BV200S. I saw the north american distributor was having a christmas sale on them, so why not. This is the big boy, 20" x 28". Anything bigger and you get into their line of metal fume-hooded extractors that are mucho bucks. I'll be able to vent so many benches with this thing.

I plan to replace the opaque hood with one I'll fab out of translucent corrugated sheet, to allow more light into the spray area. I'll also be adding an LED light-bar to the front lip of the new hood, to provide loads of lighting for spraying.

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

Great choice, love my benchvent.

therunningman
Jun 28, 2005
...'e 'ad to spleet.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

It's finally here! With a bit of cash I got at christmas, as well as some cash I got back when re-upping my mortgage earlier this year, I splurged on a Benchvent BV200S. I saw the north american distributor was having a christmas sale on them, so why not. This is the big boy, 20" x 28". Anything bigger and you get into their line of metal fume-hooded extractors that are mucho bucks. I'll be able to vent so many benches with this thing.

I plan to replace the opaque hood with one I'll fab out of translucent corrugated sheet, to allow more light into the spray area. I'll also be adding an LED light-bar to the front lip of the new hood, to provide loads of lighting for spraying.

That's a mighty fine spray hood! Do you have dedicated space on your bench or is it portable?

I had fun taking my best dude to the model train show. There were about a half dozen or so old guys with a bunch of glommed together modules in a big rectangular layout.

It brought back memories of me playing with my dad's perpetually unfinished Märklin layout in our old basement.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

therunningman posted:

That's a mighty fine spray hood! Do you have dedicated space on your bench or is it portable?

I mean, it's technically portable, but I wouldn't want to haul it very far. I have a dedicated spot on my bench where it'll go. Had to do some minor DIY to the shelving I already had in place because of its sheer size, but it'll fit in nicely once I have everything sorted.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Caution: you WILL suck all the heated air out of the room very rapidly in the wintertime when you turn it on. Close the door and wear a sweater.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Midjack posted:

Caution: you WILL suck all the heated air out of the room very rapidly in the wintertime when you turn it on. Close the door and wear a sweater.

Hah! That's a bonus for me. I've lived here for 10 years, and never turned on my heat once. The heat pumped out by my PC, and all the units around me probably pumping their heat, my place stays toasty all winter without ever needing the heaters on.

Not to mention it's January and it was 15c out today here in BC. Thanks global warming/El Nino!

Bloody Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jan 31, 2024

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Quick tool idea. If you want to create scale corrugated metal sheet, there are a couple of options out there from Brunel Models and Materpiece Models. While I think either of those will produce the best results, if you want something much cheaper and easier to get your hands on, and will give almost the same quality finished product, grab a Toothpaste Tube Squeezer. Dead simple to use, and dead cheap.

The below results were just with standard tin foil. I'm going to try some heavy duty tin foil, and some slightly thicker stainless foil sheet this weekend, but even basic tin foil gave decent quick results.

https://www.amazon.com/Fabcell-Toothpaste-Tube-Squeezer-Dispenser/dp/B071FT2NC7

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
That's awesome and this is one of the things that I love most about modeling - finding new tools or materials to use in the hobby. I did a double take as I got an herbal tea pack out yesterday. The wrapper inside the box would probably be a perfect stand in for a tent canopy with a little paint.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Used dryer sheets can make for splendid scale tarps or really worn canvas.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Holy poo poo toothpaste squeezers are a thing?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

FrozenVent posted:

Yeah. Used to get them all the time from like dentist offices and as random feelies at conferences because they're stupid simple items.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

FrozenVent posted:

Prior to me researching this thing, I'd always seen them more as paint tube squeezers. Particularly for paints that come in old-style metal tubes, which because of their rigidity can have a ton of paint left in them after they become too crinkled and bent up to squeeze by hand.

tidal wave emulator
Aug 7, 2007

Wooden coffee stirrers, e.g. from Starbucks, make good planking (not my diorama sadly, a friend in my club's)

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

McDonald's straws (not any random straw, specifically McDonald's straws) are nearly an exact dimensional match for HO scale 24 inch OD schedule 40 steel pipe.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

You can also use a train layout as a puzzle!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUF2z5K3L4g

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Fun corrugated facts: The "waves" or peaks of the corrugations are called flutes, and flute size is standard throughout the corrugated industry, and is sized A through E for most applications. If you can see the flutes then you are working with a single face piece of board, if you cannot see the flutes and there is only one set of flutes it is a single wall board, and if the inside has two sections of flutes it is a double wall board. Original corrugated boxes utilized cornstarch or cornstarch like material as the glue for the flutes. The corrugator has numerous rolls inside to make the board, and the roll that applies the first wall to the flutes is the single facer, and the roll that applies the second wall is the double facer. Corrugated cardboard utilizes steam and heat to make the paper pliable and keep shape, so it is not uncommon to have fork lifts or conveyor belts of hot, steamy cardboard being pushed around a corrugated facility. Most facilities that have a corrugation machine also have finishing machines, typically a die cut machine, a rotary offset die-cut being very popular but occasionally a stamp die cut machine is used. They also have numerous flexographic-folder-gluer units, simply called "flexos", like Bender's evil twin, and these are the devices that make what most people call cardboard boxes. Although people in the industry will correct you and say that cereal comes in cardboard boxes, what we typically call cardboard boxes are corrugated boxes.

IncredibleIgloo fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Feb 1, 2024

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
But... how are cereal boxes corrugated when there are no corrugations in it?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sash! posted:

McDonald's straws (not any random straw, specifically McDonald's straws) are nearly an exact dimensional match for HO scale 24 inch OD schedule 40 steel pipe.

This post got me feeling like quantum physicists when they started seeing 1/137 everywhere

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Clarified my post, hopefully, cereal boxes are cardboard. Cardboard doesn't have corrugations in it. What we call cardboard boxes are corrugated fiberboard boxes which is made my two layers or kraft paper attached to a layer of flutes. Cardboard, in the business, refers to a thick type of paper product that has no flutes, most easily described as the boxes in which cereal comes in, as most people have experience with that.

sarujin_nz
May 1, 2006

As far as my pulp/paper background was, cereal boxes term is paperboard.

Typically a 3 layer board, printed side being Kraft. The middle layer often being a more basic pulp (my site was mechanically pulped). Other layer facing product depended on the product.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

tidal wave emulator posted:

Wooden coffee stirrers, e.g. from Starbucks, make good planking (not my diorama sadly, a friend in my club's)

Indeed they are:

So I built a drift boat from a fistful of them.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Clarified my post, hopefully, cereal boxes are cardboard. Cardboard doesn't have corrugations in it. What we call cardboard boxes are corrugated fiberboard boxes which is made my two layers or kraft paper attached to a layer of flutes. Cardboard, in the business, refers to a thick type of paper product that has no flutes, most easily described as the boxes in which cereal comes in, as most people have experience with that.

... you sure seem to know an awful lot about boxes...

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I used to install and service flexos for Mitsubishi. It was as boring as it sounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Phy posted:

This post got me feeling like quantum physicists when they started seeing 1/137 everywhere

I've never heard about this before, read about it, and now I'm extremely unsettled and I don't know why.