Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Shuka posted:

Rookie Yao ming got 250k more all star votes than Shaq in 2003. Barkley and Shaq learned some poo poo about casual racism that year.

Barkley retired in 2000, and those votes for Yao came from China. Are you ok? Am I missing something here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

WhyteRyce posted:

Hey guys I know this may shock you but those therapy sessions for Draymond may not have actually worked

https://youtu.be/LQ2_pzV0lD0?si=whNvj-UUf868LPzb

Hey he calls for the refs to replay it after. That’s called accountability.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
To be fair the therapy was only to protect Euros so Davis should have known he was fair game

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Metapod posted:

We just can't tell which guy is doing better
The one leading a team coached by the greatest ever to 2 wins above Jordan poole

OR

The one that turned a barely 10th seed coached by a guy no one knows into the 1st seed in the west

Impossible to tell

You don't think SGA is the leader of that team?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Rick posted:

Hey he calls for the refs to replay it after. That’s called accountability.

He’s mocking Vando for doing the replay gesture

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

temple posted:

wemby is a real rookie

Not true he’s played pro basketball for 3 seasons now.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

WhyteRyce posted:

He’s mocking Vando for doing the replay gesture

okay so yeah dray hasnt changed at all BUT that was actually really funny

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Lockback posted:

You don't think SGA is the leader of that team?

Shai is the veteran leader and the face of the team
Chet is the guy who makes the team make sense

Chet takes away so much of the defensive burden that existed last season it's insane how much more relaxed everyone is making rotations instead of a scramble for dear life

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Ghost Dog posted:

im just glad i can still say something non contronversial(chet is dominating wemby in advanced stats) and get some people screaming at me about points per game

u said "metric" which doesnt mean ":advanced stats". your a backpedaling liar and should be probated.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

Shear Modulus posted:

Chet had a much better first month or so than wemby but he has come down somewhat since november when he was shooting like steph curry meanwhile wemby has been playing out of his mind since late december

Thank you, this is pretty much what I was looking to confirm. I need to know the Narratives in order to stay current, because I am a busy adult and I don't watch basketball other than my own team except for the random national games I turn on and these are somehow always 76er games where Tobias Harris looks like absolute rear end (except for the games he plays against my team).

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

according to the metrics, you know they say that all men are created equal, but you look at chet and you look at wembanyama and you can see that statement is not true. See, normally if you go one on one with another beanpole center, you got a 50/50 chance of winning. But wemby's a genetic freak and he's not normal! So chet's got a 25%, AT BEST, at beat him. Then you add devin vessell to the mix, chet's chances of winning drastic go down. See in a february nba road game, you got a 33 1/3 chance of winning, but wemby, wemby's got a 66 and 2/3 chance of winning, because lu dort KNOWS he can't beat him and he's not even gonna try!
So, you take chet's 33 1/3 chance, minus wemby's 25% chance and chet's got an 8 1/3 chance of winning in the frost bank center. But then you take wemby's 75% chance of winning, if they was to go one on one, and then add 66 2/3 per cents, wemby's got 141 2/3 chance of winning. See, the numbers don't lie, and they spell disaster for chet at in the nba rookie of the year race.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

nikosoft posted:

Thank you, this is pretty much what I was looking to confirm. I need to know the Narratives in order to stay current, because I am a busy adult and I don't watch basketball other than my own team except for the random national games I turn on and these are somehow always 76er games where Tobias Harris looks like absolute rear end (except for the games he plays against my team).

The only narrative you need is Harrison Barnes Is Back

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

fart simpson posted:

u said "metric" which doesnt mean ":advanced stats". your a backpedaling liar and should be probated.

and be forced into mandatory therapy until the mods determine its safe & healthy to post again

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

fart simpson posted:

i didnt feel like arguing about it last night cause people were already hopping up and down mad screaming about how DRB% is the most important stat ever but chet is also better in traditional stats. 17 pts on 54/38/77 is a much better statline than 20 pts on 46/30/80. its why his ts% is so much higher, he has been wildly more efficient. screaming about ppg and other counting stats without regard to efficiency is just some kobe stan stuff so its pretty easy for me to be unmoved by the wailing

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Starts with "every metric", ends up cherry-picking stats :laffo:

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Not about to go to bat for some guy named Chet that’s for sure

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

some would argue its not cherry picking to talk about the ball go in hoop stats in the ball go in hoop sport, but i simply dont have a brain big enough to love tall monta like that

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Everyone one knows every means some.

Some of you have some growing up to do

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Chet going to stop Wemby the Olympics just like he did at international juniors.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

rookie of the year is the dumbest most meaningless award, who gives a poo poo man

you know they gave one of those to tyreke evans?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Declan MacManus posted:

rookie of the year is the dumbest most meaningless award, who gives a poo poo man

you know they gave one of those to tyreke evans?

It's especially meaningless since they give it to non-rookies now

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

CharlestheHammer posted:

Everyone one knows every means some.

Some of you have some growing up to do

i legitimately didnt think people would be this upset about me failing to give wemby the just credit for his 3 rebounds more per game and 2 blocks more per game. if u wanna live on the hill that those stats are hundreds of times more important than efficiency then ok, dont think there's much to talk about there. godspeed

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I admire the mental gymnastics it takes to avoid acknowledging the holes that can be poked in a blanket statement with a simple Google search.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Ghost Dog posted:

i legitimately didnt think people would be this upset about me failing to give wemby the just credit for his 3 rebounds more per game and 2 blocks more per game. if u wanna live on the hill that those stats are hundreds of times more important than efficiency then ok, dont think there's much to talk about there. godspeed

I do want to die on that hill yeah. It seems like an incredibly easy hill to defend

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

ive done zero gymnastics. hes a better scorer on higher efficiency, the stars bare this out. if you think a minor difference in rebounds and blocks per game is this important to get irate about then i congratulate you on your Mark Eaton vs Manute Bol GOAT debate

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

lowtiergod saying you should really go die on that hill now

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

A lot of arenas would pay for contortionist acts like this.

"Every Metric"

:laffo:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

shooting efficiency is why daniel gafford is my favorite to win MVP

runaway pancake
Dec 13, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Gravy Boat 2k
chet has higher Got That Dawg In Em for sure

i think they're about the same in That Boy Nice

chet wins

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
well anyway i think it's interesting for d'lo to go to the spurs because of his potential for alleyoops, especially wrt wemby

in that wemby can pick up d'lo and say "Oops" as he drops him in the alley dumpster

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
Chet: 1.0 dog in him per 36
Wemby: 0.0 dog in him per 36

runaway pancake
Dec 13, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Gravy Boat 2k
is Got That Dawg In Em a stat or a metric?

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

has anyone done the math on how many points are saved per block so that we can really dive deep into each player's value

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

WhyteRyce posted:

The only narrative you need is Harrison Barnes Is Back

It's true! He was Gone, but now He is Back!

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Papercut posted:

It's especially meaningless since they give it to non-rookies now

Was Blake Griffin the first “fake” rookie of the year?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Aye Doc posted:

has anyone done the math on how many points are saved per block so that we can really dive deep into each player's value

i'd say about 2-3

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Efficiency is sorta overrated in general. At least independent of team context. Wemby is going to be more inefficient since he has to create so much of his own offense, He has no guards that can pass on his team. And he is by far the biggest threat on that team. Chet gets to play off like a top 7ish player in the league.

But yeah Chet has pretty clearly been the better player this year, even if it's pretty clear that Wemby's ceiling is higher.

It helps that Chet has had one more year of NBA coaching and training regimen but shrug, rookie of the year rules are silly. It also helps Chet that he's playing on a team that is not unserious, and has an actual NBA caliber initiator and as such is going to be able to be put into advantage situations, as teams have to worry about Shai, and the rest of the roster.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
I think next year wemby will be better than Chet is this year. is that something? Can I bet on that?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

don't forget that the last time they gave rookie of the year to a fake rookie, he went on to ruin the dunk contest forever by turning it into a kia commercial

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Shear Modulus posted:

don't forget that the last time they gave rookie of the year to a fake rookie, he went on to ruin the dunk contest forever by turning it into a kia commercial

Ben Simmons?