Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Dexo posted:

Ben Simmons?

I forgot about ben simmons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
I don’t remember Ben Simmons being in the dunk contest

soundly beaten, dang

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Shear Modulus posted:

I forgot about ben simmons

Imagine posting in this thread and forgetting about Ben "Simmo the Savage" Simmons

https://twitter.com/VibingSports/status/1751441828304347639

Some of these kids would probably be an upgrade over what the Spurs are sending out there.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Papes posted:

Chet: 1.0 dog in him per 36
Wemby: 0.0 dog in him per 36

Anything less than 3.0 wolf and 1.0 moon = 0.0 dog

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Ben Simmons passed to the Kia

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Dexo posted:

It helps that Chet has had one more year of NBA coaching and training regimen

I don’t think being in a walking boot for a year is advantageous to playing pro ball for 2 seasons

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Dexo posted:

Imagine posting in this thread and forgetting about Ben "Simmo the Savage" Simmons

Some of these kids would probably be an upgrade over what the Spurs are sending out there.

these tiny children could never defeat the timberwolves

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Declan MacManus posted:

these tiny children could never defeat the timberwolves

Especially in a 40 minute regulation nba game

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Dexo posted:

The Bucs d is worse than I heard

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Papes posted:

I don’t think being in a walking boot for a year is advantageous to playing pro ball for 2 seasons

He's still in team meetings, and still watching tape and practices, and learning and working with the NBA team and trainers.

It is extremely an advantage over just showing up to a new team for training camp and learning and adjusting to new surroundings and teammates, and familiarizing yourself with them.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Also better access to NBA-level steroids

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Shear Modulus posted:

Also better access to NBA-level steroids

:hmmyes:

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Wemby wasn't selling the dvds on the streets of Athens to buy loose gyro meat before he entered the league.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Tim MacMahon pretending to be locked out of his Twitter when Luka scored 73 is hilarious.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Lmao

Spacebump posted:

Tim MacMahon pretending to be locked out of his Twitter when Luka scored 73 is hilarious.

Even bigger lmao

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

That’s honestly a generous shot of young Giannis too. There were moments he looked even less defined than that

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Papercut posted:

It's especially meaningless since they give it to non-rookies now

Ya, Wemby has played professional ball before he's definitely not a rookie

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Papes posted:

Being a year older and that year being under the supervision of team trainers and nutritionist is a huge advantage. Especially as Chet is close to 2 years older than Wemby.

That shouldn't matter for aROY award though.

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

Metapod posted:

Wemby is an Instagram player

Chet is a hooper

We see this but you aren't going to win this argument Wemby already has the Nike machine behind him like Jordan

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Young giannis is more jacked than current Chet

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Shear Modulus posted:

don't forget that the last time they gave rookie of the year to a fake rookie, he went on to ruin the dunk contest forever by turning it into a kia commercial

Blake got his when they shipped him to Detroit

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Doltos posted:

Young giannis is more jacked than current Chet

Current Chet is still young chet.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

Lockback posted:

Being a year older and that year being under the supervision of team trainers and nutritionist is a huge advantage. Especially as Chet is close to 2 years older than Wemby.

I see this narrative a lot and I really do not understand it.

If you were given the task to become the best basketball player you possible could be, under no circumstance would you choose "be injured and sit around in team meetings for a year in a walking boot" over "play professional basketball for a year and be the focal point of an offense".

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Papes posted:

If you were given the task to become the best basketball player you possible could be, under no circumstance would you choose "be injured and sit around in team meetings for a year in a walking boot" over "play professional basketball for a year and be the focal point of an offense".

I mean yes. It would have been better for Chet's development if he could have played last year.

It's not like "good" that he sat a year.

However since he did sit a year, he is still going to be steps ahead of a rookie who just got to the league, and hasn't had the training and coaching at the NBA level that Chet had last year despite being injured.

Chet knows his teammates, he's practiced with them while he was rehabbing he knows their tendencies and has been able to talk with them about what they want from him and what he would like from them, over the past year.

Optimally Chet plays last year and doesn't miss a year of actual court play with his teammates, but it is very much an advantage compared to true "first year" rookies.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Papes posted:

But if the two choices are go right into a rookie year, or spend a year studying the game and being around the team, the latter is going to be a better “rookie.” By any metric.

runaway pancake
Dec 13, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Gravy Boat 2k
not being able to play basketball for a year doesnt help you. you can silver lining it into a positive but at the end of the day it's still a negative even if you can observe and absorb the nba game close up

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

runaway pancake posted:

not being able to play basketball for a year doesnt help you. you can silver lining it into a positive but at the end of the day it's still a negative even if you can observe and absorb the nba game close up

It doesn't help you specifically. No. Playing is always better.

However comparing a player who was around their NBA team and learning and training with their teammates for a year, to a player who just showed up on their team, and has to learn their teammates and have their teammates learn them, the former is generally going to have a baseline advantage.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
People are trying to make a completely different argument is bizarre. Whether this was good or not for Chet is not the argument and not relevant at all

runaway pancake
Dec 13, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Gravy Boat 2k

Dexo posted:

It doesn't help you specifically. No. Playing is always better.

However comparing a player who was around their NBA team and learning and training with their teammates for a year, to a player who just showed up on their team, and has to learn their teammates and have their teammates learn them, the former is generally going to have a baseline advantage.

absolutely, i agree, it just seems like people are discounting the negative effects of not being able to run up and down a court for a year. the dude didn't break his pinkie on his offhand. missing 1 of the 8 years you've been playing basketball is a lot of development time to miss and i dont think it's completely mitigated by watching film with your team and having a nutritionist.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I don't think we've talked about this itt but this'll probably be cool

https://x.com/ShamsCharania/status/1750733334047605197?s=20

runaway pancake
Dec 13, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Gravy Boat 2k

Shear Modulus posted:

my mom mentioned this and i didnt believe her. sorry mom

anyway, three point contest continues to be the best all star event

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

runaway pancake posted:

absolutely, i agree, it just seems like people are discounting the negative effects of not being able to run up and down a court for a year. the dude didn't break his pinkie on his offhand. missing 1 of the 8 years you've been playing basketball is a lot of development time to miss and i dont think it's completely mitigated by watching film with your team and having a nutritionist.

Except he spent like 6 months on the shelf, he was back fully practicing and doing basketball things around March last year. And then he had a fully healthy offseason.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

Dexo posted:

Except he spent like 6 months on the shelf, he was back fully practicing and doing basketball things around March last year. And then he had a fully healthy offseason.

And instead of that, if he was playing pro ball in france and learning from their very capable coaches and training staff he'd be even better right now. It is wild that being on the shelf is being spun as some kind of benefit.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Papes posted:

No one said that? But someone's body (especially someone like that) is different at 19-20 than it is at 21-22. That helps. I think almost certainly at 22 Wemby is going to be better than Chet is right now, but that's not the question. The question is Chet better right now, and it's close!

runaway pancake posted:

You're mixing up "Good for your career" and " whether or not those first 80 games will be better." It's better to play, but you still will see development. It's why 22 year old rookies typically are better players despite never playing at the NBA level.

Also, real life isn't 2K, you're going to get better being around a team, going through full off-season workouts, being able to focus entirely on your body and your game at an NBA level (which is better than College and FIBA).

Papes posted:

And instead of that, if he was playing pro ball in france and learning from their very capable coaches and training staff he'd be even better right now. It is wild that being on the shelf is being spun as some kind of benefit.

That age Wemby spent in France Chet spent playing college ball. Chet has had more years on the planet to develop.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Scoot got the 2K commercial. Wrap it up Wembailures and Chetailers.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

Lockback posted:

No one said that? But someone's body (especially someone like that) is different at 19-20 than it is at 21-22. That helps. I think almost certainly at 22 Wemby is going to be better than Chet is right now, but that's not the question. The question is Chet better right now, and it's close!

Yes, people are saying that chet being in meeting rooms in a walking boot and lifting weights with the team is more valuable than playing pro ball in france for a year. In this very thread even. Playing pro ball in france is undoubtedly better experience than playing second fiddle to Drew Timme in college too.

The age thing is legitimate and why Wemby should be viewed as a better prospect long term...but they both rule and the nba is in good hands for another generation.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Papes posted:

Yes, people are saying that chet being in meeting rooms in a walking boot and lifting weights with the team is more valuable than playing pro ball in france for a year.

No they didn't. They said almost 22 years of being on the planet is better than barely over 20 even if 1 of those is spent like that.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Shear Modulus posted:

Will they standardize on a ball size and 3pt line distance? Or each shoots to their standard?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Shear Modulus posted:

It's nice to see the WNBA treated as literal athletes and not some carny roadshow occasionally getting some scraps thrown their way like getting invited to the celebrity NBA game teams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runaway pancake
Dec 13, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Gravy Boat 2k

Paying2Lurk posted:

Scoot got the 2K commercial. Wrap it up Wembailures and Chetailers.

my pick for ROY, scootie henderson, will be vindicated