Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

That looks like a screencap from I Think You Should Leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carpet
Apr 2, 2005

Don't press play
ITYSL if it starred Steve Carrell.

012624_4
Jan 27, 2024
1 hour 34 minutes 41 seconds

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Well this is adorable

Yearbook from Lily Gladstone’s high school

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Sorry Josh Ryder

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Gonna be real honest Josh looks like a piece of poo poo

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Gaius Marius posted:

Post Silence Garfield looks a lot older than pre

He went method and insisted on doing the drip torture for real

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

That photo is impeccable. Their blank stares, the sketchy American Gothic, the mannequin Oscar. Great all around.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Steve Yun posted:

Well this is adorable

Yearbook from Lily Gladstone’s high school

I had a friend who was voted "most likely to start a cult" and by gum, he did it too.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Hollismason posted:

Gonna be real honest Josh looks like a piece of poo poo

Well gently caress you!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Josh Ryder used to be a piece of poo poo. But not anymore.

But he used to be!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Baron von Eevl posted:

I had a friend who was voted "most likely to start a cult" and by gum, he did it too.

Aww. That’s heartwarming. Just goes to show that if you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Gonz posted:

Josh Ryder used to be a piece of poo poo. But not anymore.

But he used to be!

You think that’s slicked back??

That’s pushed back

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Paul Rust is ugly in a partculiar way where he looks like it's a condition, like his genes half assed progeria

Still think about the band he had with Harris Wittels sometimes. The stupid silly band he had in Love was based on his stupid silly band

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhU0ivuAPW8

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmS5NoDiDEI

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Last one, promise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yk4lp2GTdE

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Sharing their stuff but not perm? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLescr2pI10

I respect him for being a dorky looking guy that for awhile just kept getting cast as a comedy romantic lead. He's a lot of fun on podcasts too.

Was watching MacGruber the tv show and Strays started autoplaying so I caught the first 30 minutes. It's not good, but more tolerable than I expected. Christ I hope we learned in the past five years that live action animals as a core cast doesn't work. Maybe as, like a side character, but between this and Lion King it just is not fun to watch dogs look bewildered for two hours.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Did somebody say “animated TV show about animals”???

Cause I’ve been looking for an opportunity to write that Scavengers Reign is the single best science fiction visual media thing since, I don’t know, Chappie. It just came out of nowhere!

If you’re not watching Scavengers Reign at this very moment, you are playing yourself!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Scavengers Reign absolutely rules tbh

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It's unbelievably good. Definitely the best sci-fi in recent memory.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
When I watch scavengers reign I like to pretend it was art directed by Moebius

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

gently caress The Grifters, I coulda watched House of Games, I shoulda. Ruined my night. Don't watch that trash.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

At least once a month I pull this part up on youtube to cackle.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gaius Marius posted:

gently caress The Grifters, I coulda watched House of Games, I shoulda. Ruined my night. Don't watch that trash.

The Grifters is loving awesome, what are you talking about?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Gaius Marius posted:

The John Cusack movie?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I would call it an Anjelica Huston movie, but yes. Absolutely dreadful.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gaius Marius posted:

I would call it an Anjelica Huston movie, but yes. Absolutely dreadful.

You have terrible taste.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I watched Minority Report for the first time a short while ago, and I'm also going through the Jurassic Park novels again. I bring this up because Spielberg seems to like inserting too much humor in this big blockbuster films. Yes, MR and JP are scifi stories but they're pretty serious ones. The JP books are basically horror stories. I'm in the part in Lost World where the trailer is dangling over the cliff. Crichton does not insert a joke about "I'd like some McDonald's" like is in the film version. I remember feeling all through MR there were similarly needless bits of humor thrown in that detracted from the story.

I wonder if Steve felt obligated to do this to appease the masses.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That's like his whole thing

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
I wouldn’t call it needless humor. I think it all worked very well in minority report and Jurassic park. Gotta have fun with dinosaurs and Tom Cruise.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Humour is cool

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

In Minority Report, I’ve always haaaaaaaaaated the “uh ohhhhh, a good sandwich and milk and a bad sandwich and milk, guess which one he’s gonna pick????” and the “walking up the inclined path with a grate at the bottom and dropping the eyeball” scenes. Just crazy slapstick that’s tonal whiplash.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
the eyeball scene rules, both because it's funny and also because a scene about something really important (almost) being decided by a stupid, arbitrary coincidence is completely on-theme for the movie

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Minority Report is so different from the source material that it's practically a different story. Hell, in the movie there isn't actually a "minority report" about whether Tom Cruise kills the guy or not. In the short story, the entire premise is that there is, and the twist is that there are actually three minority reports -- precog one says he will commit the murder, precog two says that after seeing precog one's report it will change the outcome and he won't commit the murder, and precog three says that *that* leads to a series of events where he once again will commit the murder. But all that isn't seen at the time and it's just 'yep, majority says you'll kill the guy so you're guilty'

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
That sounds cool, I should read the story. I think the only story to movie of Philip K Dick I read was Do Androids Dream of Electric sheep.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I feel like the first Jurassic Park was the end of his ability to organically integrate humor into his narratives. Everything after that feels forced and jokey, where it feels like he wants to go dark but then tries to use humor to balance it out and it ends up feeling awkward and discordant. The Lost World is full of that, AI is constant whiplash, Minority Report, etc. It feels very constructed and inirganic, where he said "this scene needs a moment of levity" and injected it.

Even Catch Me If You Can, which easily coasts by on its charm, has lots of moments of humor that feels disconnected from what surrounds it. Overall it works, but it's definitely tonal whiplash.

Personally I hate the attempts at humor in Minority Report, they threaten to ruin what otherwise is a great little sci-fi thriller. But the milk and eyeball stuff is at least weird enough that I get why many people dig it.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Catch Me If You Can is very sad in parts and the humor is misplaced after a certain point.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The humour in schindlers list… actually pretty good

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Jay Rust posted:

The humour in schindlers list… actually pretty good

I had some real belly-laughs in Munich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Lincoln is quite funny though. Some solid old man stories from Daniel day Lewis and sick burns from Tommy Lee jones.