Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
I think Dave Meltzer should pet his dog. I pet my dog. I love to pet my dog. What's Dave's deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
Mark being an expert in wrestling relationships IRL was very surprising, also, I admit I laughed "they have a kid named roo, first name kanga"

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
https://x.com/paul_r_mcdonald/status/1751553213528953179?s=46&t=AwMtDeZF_tX5DmOd53fE0g

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

:lol: this sounds exactly like a joke that would be done with AI Meltzer holy poo poo

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

lmao hes the greatest

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
Write the book about Vince, Dave. Even if you need ghost writers to sort through your audio thoughts.

It is the magnum opus.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Never change, Dave.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jan 28, 2024

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

lol

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The king.

UnleashedDad
Jan 14, 2022

hi im tony. did you know that a koala's appendix is about two meters long.
That was the first thing I heard when I woke up, great start for the day

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

TelevisedInsanity posted:

Write the book about Vince, Dave. Even if you need ghost writers to sort through your audio thoughts.

It is the magnum opus.

I hope an actual journalist writes it at this point, maybe one of the WSJ writers who broke the story gets a leave of absence. That way it's just about the real Vince.

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan
the problem with an outsider is without the knowledge of the wrestling industry they could fall into the trap of thinking wrestlers are honest once you get behind the veil of kayfabe. the Andre book did a good job of not doing that-multiple times it referenced a tall tale then went beyond that into the real story with references

with Vince though, his hidden power lies within wrestling being a bullshit carnival that no one takes seriously so no one cares about his clown rear end compared to real sports. a focused outsider could do a great job just tearing into it all

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

I just started the podcast and I'm immediately came here to post that. lol

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Whoolighams posted:

the problem with an outsider is without the knowledge of the wrestling industry they could fall into the trap of thinking wrestlers are honest once you get behind the veil of kayfabe. the Andre book did a good job of not doing that-multiple times it referenced a tall tale then went beyond that into the real story with references

with Vince though, his hidden power lies within wrestling being a bullshit carnival that no one takes seriously so no one cares about his clown rear end compared to real sports. a focused outsider could do a great job just tearing into it all

Meanwhile Dave has given his friends like Triple H the kid glove treatment for decades.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

yeah daves not immune to giving preferential treatment to his sources. see: the entire matt riddle situation

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Not four minutes in to the B&V Rumble recap and Mark, wheezing and grunting like a weird third-grader as always, is talking a bunch about mucus

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

D.N. Nation posted:

Not four minutes in to the B&V Rumble recap and Mark, wheezing and grunting like a weird third-grader as always, is talking a bunch about mucus

Yeah he’s the best

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Joey McChrist posted:

yeah daves not immune to giving preferential treatment to his sources. see: the entire matt riddle situation

But the big reason an outsider should write it: This should not be a book about pro wrestling it should be a book about a company where everyone was complicit in looking the other way or encouraging abuse for decades. This should be what we got in Unscripted last year, where Sumner Redstone's business accomplishments are a short backstory and the first third is about what a completely vile man he was, and the final third is similarly about Les Moonves.

At most it should be Barbarians at the Gate where the backstory is basically a chapter every time a new character gets introduced but the meat is what brought it down. A book on Vince needs to be an exhaustive history of Vince for the piece of poo poo he is.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

It's really tough trying to figure out who should write the book as it were, because they'd need enough knowledge of wrestling to inherently know how to parse bullshit and see it as more than a curiosity, but not so much that they get lost in their fandom. They'd need to know that the surface level shocking stuff is just that, surface-level, and it's just such a messy walled garden of a thing, you know?

That Ringmaster book from last year was a little disappointing for that reason. Despite covering a lot it never felt like it extracted the meat that it should have and the conclusions it drew were so laser-targeted on political influence that it didn't adequately cover, well, a lot of the other things that are worth covering.

I dunno the solution, really. It'd need to have a lot of sources, I guess.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

I should do it

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

A 10 part Dark Side of the Ring

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

It's really tough trying to figure out who should write the book as it were, because they'd need enough knowledge of wrestling to inherently know how to parse bullshit and see it as more than a curiosity, but not so much that they get lost in their fandom. They'd need to know that the surface level shocking stuff is just that, surface-level, and it's just such a messy walled garden of a thing, you know?

That Ringmaster book from last year was a little disappointing for that reason. Despite covering a lot it never felt like it extracted the meat that it should have and the conclusions it drew were so laser-targeted on political influence that it didn't adequately cover, well, a lot of the other things that are worth covering.

I dunno the solution, really. It'd need to have a lot of sources, I guess.

The Ringmaster book is just a mess and someone with abuse allegations against them should have never been the one to write it.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

its tough especially with wrestling history and how just off the wall and insane it winds up being. a lot of books on the 'history' feels less like pulling off/seeing through the veil and more like a cheap collection of 'remember when?' you've gotta find a great middle ground.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Probably the best solution for the Vince book is you have a writer with experience doing these type of expose books but team them up with an editor/co-writer that has knowledge of wrestling to help cut through wrestling bullshit

Also of note in WOR today that Dave is considering doing a recall vote on Vince

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

MassRafTer posted:

The Ringmaster book is just a mess and someone with abuse allegations against them should have never been the one to write it.

whoa, what abuse allegations? I quit Twitter years ago but Reisman followed me for ages and I never caught any of that.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
any loreheads know what the dog is called

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

Karma Tornado posted:

whoa, what abuse allegations? I quit Twitter years ago but Reisman followed me for ages and I never caught any of that.
Same here, and after searching around for a bit I can't find anything about it at all. When was this supposed to have happened?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Corin Tucker's Stalker posted:

Same here, and after searching around for a bit I can't find anything about it at all. When was this supposed to have happened?

Her dead name was on the lovely Media Men list which makes it hard to google. This was the entry.

quote:

gave a woman a black eye, dm harasser, emotionally abusive, loses his poo poo at women in a public fashion

This was pre-transition hence the pronouns.

Mafro
Jan 4, 2020

Probably an all-timer from Dave.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.

MassRafTer posted:

Her dead name was on the lovely Media Men list which makes it hard to google. This was the entry.

Welp. I stopped being surprised by how terrible people can be after Lowtax, but I'll always cut ties and feel skeeved out.

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan

MassRafTer posted:

great. well now I can move my "very slight reccomend with many qualifiers" down to "pass"

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Whoolighams posted:

great. well now I can move my "very slight reccomend with many qualifiers" down to "pass"

Yeah the release of that was quite a roller coaster. "Oh this sounds interesting." Then seeing passages from it that looked awful, but other better things and still thinking about buying it, and then learning that news. The comparison between Unscripted which came out a few weeks prior and what I know of Ringmaster (ignoring who the author is) is stark.

Malikov
Jan 25, 2015
Dave going full Frank Lampard is outstanding.

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

I read Ringmaster and it lost me after it became a Wikipedia plot summary of the attitude era

Whoolighams
Jul 24, 2007
Thanks Dom Monaghan

MancXVI posted:

I read Ringmaster and it lost me after it became a Wikipedia plot summary of the attitude era

it really does feel like they didn't have a full arc of a book at all. it cobbles a half-rear end Vince biography, attitude era sleaze recounting, and a Vince/Trump comparison that never developed well

there's so much there to dig into and time keeps adding more there to be discovered if you tried! it reminds me of the prosecution during the steroid trial: so confident it would be an easy slam dunk that they ended up completely underperforming

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Apparently Dave said that if Jerry McDevitt were still WWE's lawer that he'd have been sent a full background check on the victim the next morning. He kind of has to tell us when this happened before.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug

MassRafTer posted:

Apparently Dave said that if Jerry McDevitt were still WWE's lawer that he'd have been sent a full background check on the victim the next morning. He kind of has to tell us when this happened before.

There's so much more that Dave knows that he hasn't said but has hinted at, and there's probably so much more that Dave doesn't know as well. He really needs to put everything into print that he has at some point.

This also has me wondering more on McDevitt's fall out of favor. Was it all related to the MLW suit or does this have something to do with it too?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

From all reports McDevitt just wanted to retire and didn't fall out of favor but the timing is curious. It does make one wonder if Vince told him he was gonna ignore the NDA and McDevitt just kinda of shrugged and wanted out

The MLW case wasn't really a loss as it was more TKO/WWE wanting it to go away cause they have bigger lawsuits to worry about that they can't settle. Though again, the timing is curious as everyone thought it was about the Cung Le suit but what if it's also cause of this as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Incredible Lampard-Pivot there from Dave. Best to ever do it