Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Sherbert Hoover posted:

hmm that's odd, he's usually not this horny

oh yeah? just ask Hephaestus lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

hephaestus trapping his wife and her lover in an elaborate net contraption is the first e/n goon story

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
lol

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Al! posted:

hephaestus trapping his wife and her lover in an elaborate net contraption is the first e/n goon story

danae was the first recorded instance of a goon pissing in the well of someone with a serious problem

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Al! posted:

Hera posts on r/relationships

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

snoo posted:

imagine hating women this much

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xXLegux59w

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5vqf5Jieiw

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

pretty sure purple and orange is for Sunsday

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

it is wednesday, my druids

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Historical context fun fact, associations with Wednesday being for communication, travel, and learning would be because of the day's namesake being the God Mercury (Hermes), patron of well, those things

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Historical context fun fact, associations with Wednesday being for communication, travel, and learning would be because of the day's namesake being the God Mercury (Hermes), patron of well, those things

wednesday is mercury because the ptolemaic geo-centric model orders the bodies in the solar system Moon, Mercury, Venus, Sun, Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn in terms of distance from earth. that combines with this helpful little diagram

where you trace from the sun to moon, mars, mercury and bing bong, mercury is the 4th day

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Oh-ho, check that out! Thank you Hatebag :buddy:

I know about some myths and etymology and stuff but actual astronomy is not my strong suit

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Hatebag posted:

Moon, Mercury, Venus, Sun, Mars

holy sh*t

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

oh yeah lol, that makes sense. but then the sun should be second. they were right about the last three as well. i think they based it on how fast the bodies appeared to move from earth. clever little greeks!

speng31b
May 8, 2010

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Hatebag posted:

wednesday is mercury because the ptolemaic geo-centric model orders the bodies in the solar system Moon, Mercury, Venus, Sun, Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn in terms of distance from earth. that combines with this helpful little diagram

where you trace from the sun to moon, mars, mercury and bing bong, mercury is the 4th day

The weekdays in English are interesting because you get the correspondance between the Roman and Germanic gods.

Tuesday / Tiw = Mars / Mardi
Wednesday / Odin = Mercury / Mercredi
Thursday / Thor = Jupiter / Jeudi
Friday / Frigg = Venus / Vendredi

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

ty that academic writing just slides off my brain, of course those school professor type guys love talking about maat god of order and laws lol.

quote:

Unlike the later Greek, the Egyptian had not yet developed the intellectual ability to think in abstract terms.

:wrong: this is that bicameral mind crap, and then he namedrops frankfort but with some weirdly dismissive lame quotes yeesh

Henri, H.A. Frankfort's "Before Philosophy/The Intellectual Adventure of Ancient Man"(1946) establishes a thing called mythopoeic thought using the words it/thou about modern western brains using words to define their world (objects/events/gods) as separate categorizable things "it" and earlier cultures using animals and images to describe them as a continuum of living animate characters, "thou."

https://z-library.se/book/21801868/435b75/before-philosophy-the-intellectual-adventure-of-ancient-man.html p.21 posted:

The ancients expressed their ‘emotional thought’ (as we might call it) in terms of cause and effect; they explained phenomena in terms of time and space and number. The form of their reasoning is far less alien to ours than is often believed. They could reason logically; but they did not often care to do it. For the detachment which a purely intellectual attitude implies is hardly compatible with their most significant experience of reality. Scholars who have proved at length that primitive man has a ‘prelogical’ mode of thinking are likely to refer to magic or religious practice, thus forgetting that they apply the Kantian categories, not to pure reasoning, but to highly emotional acts.

We shall find that if we attempt to define the structure of mythopoeic thought and compare it with that of modern (that is, scientific) thought, the differences will prove to be due rather to emotional attitude and intention than to a so-called prelogical mentality. The basic distinction of modern thought is that between subjective and objective. On this distinction scientific thought has based a critical and analytical procedure by which it progressively reduces the individual phenomena to typical events subject to universal laws. Thus it creates an increasingly wide gulf between our perception of the phenomena and the conceptions by which we make them comprehensible. We see the sun rise and set, but we think of the earth as moving round the sun. We see colours, but we describe them as wave-lengths. We dream of a dead relative, but we think of that distinct vision as a product of our own subconscious minds. Even if we individually are unable to prove these almost unbelievable scientific views to be true, we accept them, because we know that they can be proved to possess a greater degree of objectivity than our sense-impressions. In the immediacy of primitive experience, however, there is no room for such a critical resolution of perceptions. Primitive man cannot withdraw from the presence of the phenomena because they reveal themselves to him in the manner we have described. Hence the distinction between subjective and objective knowledge is meaningless to him.

Meaningless, also, is our contrast between reality and appearance. Whatever is capable of affecting mind, feeling, or will has thereby established its undoubted reality. There is, for instance, no reason why dreams should be considered less real than impressions received while one is awake. On the contrary, dreams often affect one so much more than the hum-drum events of daily life that they appear to be more, and not less, significant than the usual perceptions. The Babylonians, like the Greeks, sought divine guidance by passing the night in a sacred place hoping for a revelation in dreams. And pharaohs, too, have recorded that dreams induced them to undertake certain works. Hallucinations, too, are real. We find in the official annals of Assarhaddon of Assyria a record of fabulous monsters — two-headed serpents and green, winged creatures — which the exhausted troops had seen in the most trying section of their march, the arid Sinai Desert. We may recall that the Greeks saw the Spirit of the Plain of Marathon arisen in the fateful battle against the Persians. As to monsters, the Egyptians of the Middle Kingdom, as much horrified by the desert as are their modern descendants, depicted dragons, griffins, and chimeras among gazelles, foxes, and other desert game, on a footing of perfect equality.

the book presents things pretty respectfully (the word savages is used :whitewater: but thankfully only once, much better than some history books) converting the idea of gods/godly powers to english language but only does the "thou" thing for like table salt, flint and reeds (p. 142-147.) mostly covers Enki and Ninhursag, there's a little about Inanna but doesn't connect it with En-ship or the Mes which would have been cool. Frankfort died in 1954 and the first english stuff about Mes was by Samuel Noah Kramer in "The Sumerians"(1963).

"thou" is such a snooty european sounding word but sorta appropriate here because english language do be like that. though i like to take it as an abbreviation of thought or maybe even thoth :getin:. but then in 1976 some guy wrote a book "The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind" and it got real racist with that distinction like everybody before greeks/romans were dummies incapable of self reflection and lol gently caress that. any cave painting of a human shape proves that artist was aware of their own form. written words are so overprioritized now vs symbols and spoken/musical language. indian historical texts are divided into shruti/smriti for information that is either heard from gods or remembered by human tradition. orally communicated stories from australia are extremely old incredibly detailed and emotional personal retellings of environmental observations.

seems like intellectuals love copying each others homework repeating the same interpretations and doing gross comparisons of cultures biased toward greeks/romans like those fuckos didn't just steal all their ideas from africa and asia, remove any respect for plants and animals and make every god white as hell. hieroglyphics and cuneiform are visual language just tell me some guesses of what the shapes mean and show pictures of the old stuff for other people to interpret you suit wearing nerds.

the more detailed translations of gilgamesh (Andrew George 1999, 2003 critical) explain what parts of the story were found in different places and have illustrations of the tablets showing what is there and what's gone from them. and there is still a lot missing those things get cracked and broken over the years after falling out of favor and being buried in sand. so much of history is just piecing together scraps of what was trash then because all the fancy stuff got destroyed or stolen and hidden in private collections. there were thousands of mummified humans and animals taken from tombs and just sold on the street for goobers to buy and keep as toys or grind them up and smoke them or whatever other disrespectful crap people did. like fossil fuels being commodified into only an energy source to be burned and not, yknow, a record of the planet's life history that should be protected. its important to look at ancient artifacts and the big monuments to see where the damage is. why did certain figures get their faces and hands chiseled away and others left intact. what context can you still get from the parts that were eroded only by wind and time and what could still be buried and unseen somewhere else. for a long time the great sphinx was just a head in the sand and people speculated on what the rest of it looked like. you know a bunch of excavators were hype to see some monumental titties

what a rad suprise it must have been to scoop out all that sand and find a big ol cat body down there lol pranked from 4000 years ago.

seems to have lost a lot of detail in the lips and eyes since old photographs were taken

e: remembered i first heard of frankfort in this david graeber / david wengrow talk that covers some of what i just said but smarter, graeber disses the bicameral mind guy early on and wengrow mentions frankfort towards the end. the last thing they mention about french enlightenment stuff being stolen from native american traditions is cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvUzdJSK4x8

Charlatan Eschaton has issued a correction as of 18:49 on Jan 25, 2024

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

yeah the acidified ocean means all that marble and sandstone is hosed over the next couple hundred years

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Charlatan Eschaton posted:

ty that academic writing just slides off my brain, of course those school professor type guys love talking about maat god of order and laws lol.

:wrong: this is that bicameral mind crap, and then he namedrops frankfort but with some weirdly dismissive lame quotes yeesh

Charlatan I love your posts :allears: I'm sure I am gonna have more to say about this one later but I can't afford myself the time to sit and enjoy All These Words right now so let me pounce on this idea just in the beginning, what if I told you ma'at is not really like, a God at all. You correctly calling out "the Egyptians couldn't understand abstraction" is what's to do with it, Ma'at gets personified as a Goddess, of order, and Heka gets personified as a God, of magic, but I don't think either of those concepts were seen as people as literally as a lot of people believe now on account of all the historians and archeologists pointing out the personified instances in image or verse. Someone in another thread was just talking about Aztec religion and the way many those Gods were likely seen by their worshippers as more abstract entities like "Father Time" or "Mother Nature" are to us, and I think ma'at, Divine law, what is right, the natural order of the Cosmos, and heka, magic, active Divine power, were both largely understood as more concept than person, the two essential faces of cosmic Divine reality. Ma'at is what organizes everything, the Ground of Being, and Heka empowers it, the immanent Creative energy. Together they compose the abstract "God."

I don't have a bunch of sources for this since I am just furiously tapping out a post before I go clean bird cages, but I feel very strongly about ma'at and accepting a definition of ma'at where it is "just" a God of order and laws is playing right into their hands...!!!

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

no worries that took me a long time to make semi coherent and wasnt sure if it was any good. seeing that cool aztec post got me to go ahead and hit send :) will have to do some more learning about ma'at. have fun w the bird friends!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

bicameral mind theory is very funny

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Henri, H.A. Frankfort's "Before Philosophy/The Intellectual Adventure of Ancient Man"(1946) establishes a thing called mythopoeic thought using the words it/thou about modern western brains using words to define their world (objects/events/gods) as separate categorizable things "it" and earlier cultures using animals and images to describe them as a continuum of living animate characters, "thou."

Oh boy I'm gonna read the poo poo out of this book, thank you. I have a copy of Frankfort's "Egyptian Religion" and I was so impressed by the respect he had for the materials he was studying, he wasn't perfect certainly but you can tell he was trying to really understand the beliefs as they were understood, instead of the way everyone was seeing them at the time.

what a rad suprise it must have been to scoop out all that sand and find a big ol cat body down there lol pranked from 4000 years ago.

loving :lmao:

Very appreciative of your big effortpost, thank you for taking the time to make it and then choosing to hit send :)

edit:

written words are so overprioritized now vs symbols and spoken/musical language

I feel like you might like Music, Language and Literature, which is open access and seems to allege music is a much more metaphysically significant language than the written variety, thank you very much

LITERALLY A BIRD has issued a correction as of 00:02 on Jan 26, 2024

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Oh boy I'm gonna read the poo poo out of this book, thank you. I have a copy of Frankfort's "Egyptian Religion" and I was so impressed by the respect he had for the materials he was studying, he wasn't perfect certainly but you can tell he was trying to really understand the beliefs as they were understood, instead of the way everyone was seeing them at the time.

:nice: yeah its so much better reading someone who goes into historical topics trying to learn from them and explain their interpretations and not just do comparisons to modern stuff. i got a copy of "myths from mesopotamia" and the introduction was so fuckin condescending i didn't even want to read their translations

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I feel like you might like Music, Language and Literature, which is open access and seems to allege music is a much more metaphysically significant language than the written variety, thank you very much

oh this looks excellent thank you!

e: well that immediately went way over my head with philosopher and classical music composer names im not familiar with lol, will have to try again later

Charlatan Eschaton has issued a correction as of 04:54 on Jan 26, 2024

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Before Philosophy posted:

We [intend] in this book to deal successively with speculative thought concerning (1) the nature of the universe; (2) the function of the state; and (3) the values of life. But the reader will have grasped that this, our mild attempt to distinguish the spheres of metaphysics, politics, and ethics, is doomed to remain a convenience without any deep significance. For the life of man and the function of the state are for mythopoeic thought imbedded in nature, and the natural processes are affected by the acts of man no less than man’s life depends on his harmonious integration with nature. The experiencing of this unity with the utmost intensity was the greatest good ancient religion could bestow.

I am sorry I missed the mark with my return recommendation (the classical composer references were a bit out of my wheelhouse as well but you never know what other people might know!) but this book is the absolute ticket for me, thank you very much.

Today I went into a metaphysical shop and the girl behind the counter offered a tarot reading to the man who checked out before me, free with purchase, but when I made my purchase a bit later I was not offered any complimentary magical intervention. Rude :mad:

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

very good vibes in that quote, so glad you like the book. paper was cool just wished it had links to the songs they were talkin about, the rare thing that would have been better as a podcast. i appreciate it, reading stuff that's too complicated the best way to learn
metaphysical girl probably just didn't think you were looking for guidance, should have offered to do one for her too :) dual readings to compare

got a new book, some cool stuff some things missing imo. trying to put together a small review/comparison to other books it references

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

lol

snoo posted:

imagine hating women this much

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I don't have to imagine

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
i've met some real stinkers

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
women are hilarious

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

very good vibes in that quote, so glad you like the book. paper was cool just wished it had links to the songs they were talkin about, the rare thing that would have been better as a podcast. i appreciate it, reading stuff that's too complicated the best way to learn
metaphysical girl probably just didn't think you were looking for guidance, should have offered to do one for her too :) dual readings to compare

got a new book, some cool stuff some things missing imo. trying to put together a small review/comparison to other books it references

are you in ashipu school

do you have fish clothes

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

i live in a boxthorn under the sea

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I finally allowed myself to shuffle my tarot deck in a manner that allows for reversed cards (for the first time since I got them like three years ago) and the spread I did for myself just now was all reversed and it's extremely challenging and indicative of a bunch of things I've been feeling lately.

why this poo poo gotta be so Real, immediately after I wrote in my journal "ok I'm doing this even though it is making me feel anxious because I want to allow myself to be emotionally messy"

I'm like well drat you got me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
lol