Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I’m doing act 2 slightly out of order from how I normally do it and man overall it’s so much better if you ignore the game trying to get you to talk to Isobel immediately. You can just go get the pixie blessing after talking to Jaheira and go do moonrise stuff instead. Also much easier to save Rolan considering he doesn’t leave. You can just go save Cal and Lia first and they meet up with him at the bar without him ever leaving to go find them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

I’m doing act 2 slightly out of order from how I normally do it and man overall it’s so much better if you ignore the game trying to get you to talk to Isobel immediately. You can just go get the pixie blessing after talking to Jaheira and go do moonrise stuff instead. Also much easier to save Rolan considering he doesn’t leave. You can just go save Cal and Lia first and they meet up with him at the bar without him ever leaving to go find them

In my last run the order was going straight to Moonrise.
It feels like if you take the "easier" underdark route that the starting position goes to last light with a sense of desperation to get out of the curse, where you are promptly owned by an event.
Taking the mountain pass has you meet the drider and have options as to whether you go to moonrise or explore.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
im still waiting to dual wield nunchucks with my monk, but something tells me it aint happening, let alone trichucks :smith:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Entropic posted:

I've yet to complete a Dark Urge run. I've heard it gets really cool in Act III, but in the early game the murderyness of it is actively unpleasant and the tone feels off. There's stuff that's played for comedy but then the bard scene is horrific and the fact that none of your companions really seem to care that much about it is really offputting, it feels like there's dialogue options missing. And then it feels like there's barely any important Durge stuff in Act II apart from being asked to do one pointlessly cruel thing which I didn't do because I had no reason to. I assume if you do it there's a lot more to it? It feels like the game wants me to just go full evil murderhobo as Durge but that's a really unpleasant way to play a game that actually has well-characterized NPCs that make you care about them.

I'm so glad it's not the default mandatory option for the story.
Fair enough.
They could stand to sand down the edgier elements of it no one asked to play as a necrophillac sorry and focus more on its actual core evil plot.
It needs some heavy edits to make it more impactful and frankly more forced resistant attempts [using different stats] so the dark urge feels less of a "but why would I do this" and more that it is a condition that needs management.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

JBP posted:

In my last run the order was going straight to Moonrise.
It feels like if you take the "easier" underdark route that the starting position goes to last light with a sense of desperation to get out of the curse, where you are promptly owned by an event.
Taking the mountain pass has you meet the drider and have options as to whether you go to moonrise or explore.

It is definitely interesting. I’ve heard from people who were playing blind that took the mountain pass route that they immediately went and did the gauntlet of shar because moonrise kind of pushed you into it, so I think either way act 2 pushes you into feeling urgency for something, which is interesting. My coworker for example missed the underdark AND last light entirely. He took a moon lantern and went straight to the gauntlet, pretty much. The pacing almost feels better if you already know the story and can play around with it a little, but it’s interesting to see how people interact with it

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I enjoyed my good durge run but it's definitely not something I want to do every time. There's also a lot of race/class combinations it would feel off as for me.

Like playing a Githyanki durge wouldn't make a lick of sense

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Ginette Reno posted:

I enjoyed my good durge run but it's definitely not something I want to do every time. There's also a lot of race/class combinations it would feel off as for me.

Like playing a Githyanki durge wouldn't make a lick of sense

Bhaal gets around, it could happen. I mean apparently he hosed a goddamn cow and produced a Bhaalspawn, sky's the limit.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

It is definitely interesting. I’ve heard from people who were playing blind that took the mountain pass route that they immediately went and did the gauntlet of shar because moonrise kind of pushed you into it, so I think either way act 2 pushes you into feeling urgency for something, which is interesting. My coworker for example missed the underdark AND last light entirely. He took a moon lantern and went straight to the gauntlet, pretty much. The pacing almost feels better if you already know the story and can play around with it a little, but it’s interesting to see how people interact with it

I agree. In my first run I stumbled into the gauntlet having met Raphael outside and when I reached the end it said that the chapter would end. I hadn't been to Moonrise yet and was confused. I decided to leave the gauntlet and had a very weird time talking to people about a place I had already solved nearly entirely.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Asterite34 posted:

Bhaal gets around, it could happen. I mean apparently he hosed a goddamn cow and produced a Bhaalspawn, sky's the limit.

It's so much that as why would a Githyanki end up in a Bhaal cult based out of Baldur's Gate? Even if Bhaal hosed a Githyanki to make a Githyanki Bhaalspawn that Bhaalspawn would presumably still be working under Vlaakith.

Idk you could head canon anything but that particular combo feels off to me

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Any cleric honestly feels off as durge.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

If you're durge pally and a cutscene kills the bard do you break your oath?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Given the whole amnesia thing, the oaths in general are kinda weird, like does your guy or girl even remember that they made an oath?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Jay Rust posted:

Given the whole amnesia thing, the oaths in general are kinda weird, like does your guy or girl even remember that they made an oath?

You do get some bonus dialogue with the oathbreaker knight as dark urge deep in act 3, and it's somewhat reassuring given the circumstances

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Nuclear Tourist posted:

I found out you can do this in my last playthrough when I accidentally tripped over some sort of story trigger that (act 2 spoilers) caused Jaheira to go around and start warning people around Last Light Inn about how Marcus is a traitor and that he needs to be lured out of the building so he can be ambushed. This was *after* the surprise fight in Isobel's room had already gone down and Marcus was toast, and I wasn't able to snap Jaheira out of this behavior until I went over to Moonrise Towers and started the big showdown there.

E: spoiler tags are not working for me for some reason

Yeah, I think I heard you say this earlier in the thread (maybe?) but I would assume there's a way to do this legit instead, and I think it involves going to moonrise first, because if you pick the right dialogues you should be able to get the second in command lady to tell you about Marcus. Or someone does. I'm pretty close to act 2 now so I'll give it a shot and see what I can do.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Holy crap Ansur is kicking my rear end on Tactician mode. I'm back at camp trying to figure out how to best respec and reequip everyone because my party that was breezing through everything else in Act III (I barely had any trouble with Cazador) can't put damage on him fast enough to take him down before he goes full nuclear lightning mode.
Am I right in thinking that swinging two-handers at him for single big chunks of damage is a better strategy than relying on multi attacks and damager riders that all get whittled down or negated by the flat -4 to all incoming damage that he gets on Tactician?

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

I'm in Act 3 now and I keep getting crashes in Shar's Caress. On the bright side I got to create a crash report like this.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

JBP posted:

Does this always happen? Is it completely unavoidable even for a good person Durge?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Josef bugman posted:

Does this always happen? Is it completely unavoidable even for a good person Durge?

Yeah. I was really nice and it happens. You have to be nice for it to go down really because she won't come to camp if you're a jerk. It's actually kinder as durge to smash her lute.

E: actually she turned up later when I was mean too so maybe it's just a thing?

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Josef bugman posted:

Yes, that’s the one killing you can never avoid as a good durge, although you can change the target to a different bard with some metagaming

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

JBP posted:

No. As long as you’re honest. At least as an ancients pally.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I bummed about that. I'd prefer something else. Can understand what they are going for but still, booo.

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Josef bugman posted:

To change the target attack Alfira with Non-Lethal attacks toggled on so she's unconscious, then long rest. A different Bard shows up and gets killed instead.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Entropic posted:

Holy crap Ansur is kicking my rear end on Tactician mode. I'm back at camp trying to figure out how to best respec and reequip everyone because my party that was breezing through everything else in Act III (I barely had any trouble with Cazador) can't put damage on him fast enough to take him down before he goes full nuclear lightning mode.
Am I right in thinking that swinging two-handers at him for single big chunks of damage is a better strategy than relying on multi attacks and damager riders that all get whittled down or negated by the flat -4 to all incoming damage that he gets on Tactician?

Yes big 2 handers would work better, but also remember you can use Globe of Invulnerability to cheese nuclear lightning mode.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Buy some arrows of dragon slaying or check out your inventory for ones you've hoarded, they will dump damage on him. When he enters phase two drink haste potions and dumpster him with big hits. If you fail just pop the globe lol.

The oldest trick in the book of hasting a pally and simply dumping max slot smites on his head also works great.

E: risky ring rogue (or however you get advantage) with dragon slaying arrows is a nice choice

JBP fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 29, 2024

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Right, so just for shits and giggles I installed a level uncap mod.

I made it level 18 by the end of the courtyard fight, and I didn't even do everything I could have (ex. Artist quest)

Goddamn is there a lot of poo poo in this game.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Further Reading posted:

To change the target attack Alfira with Non-Lethal attacks toggled on so she's unconscious, then long rest. A different Bard shows up and gets killed instead.
Does this influence the default bard living her best life in Act 3?

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jan 30, 2024

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Shumagorath posted:

Does this influence the default bars living her best life in Act 3?

No idea, sorry.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

grack posted:

Goddamn is there a lot of poo poo in this game.

I honestly wouldn't have minded a few more time limits and devil's choices to push me in a direction. I had to consciously not double back on myself say with the underdark and do the other route once I figured there was no *real* urgency for most of the game. Like I wouldn't want it to be a telltale game tunnelling me off in directions I don't have a clue I'm heading towards every 10 minutes, but I did find myself deliberately excluding things I could easily have done, just for future playthroughs.

It doesn't help that I'm not the kind of person who will do a total evil or total good run just for completions sakes, but even with all that said, I reckon I've at least 2 more runs I could do, though will probably uninstall and do something else in between them.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

wit posted:

I honestly wouldn't have minded a few more time limits and devil's choices to push me in a direction. I had to consciously not double back on myself say with the underdark and do the other route once I figured there was no *real* urgency for most of the game. Like I wouldn't want it to be a telltale game tunnelling me off in directions I don't have a clue I'm heading towards every 10 minutes, but I did find myself deliberately excluding things I could easily have done, just for future playthroughs.

It doesn't help that I'm not the kind of person who will do a total evil or total good run just for completions sakes, but even with all that said, I reckon I've at least 2 more runs I could do, though will probably uninstall and do something else in between them.

It's certainly not an easy game but it really feels like having two paths with powerful rewards at the end really throws off the games balance from what is narratively intended. The gear and experience will certainly carry you through act 2 and you'll be able to sidestep the shadowheart vs lae'zel dilemma by doing both and having enough charisma when it seems like originally they were gonna make you choose.

Lawman 0 fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jan 29, 2024

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Josef bugman posted:

In theory you could simply leave for Moonrise without ever having the party, if you go to the mountain pass it will advance everything so the Tieflings have left without that scene. Of course, this means you will also skip that whole interaction and any companion dialogue and scenes that would have occurred, so it's a higher price to pay. I think that as long as you complete the actual missions this doesn't prevent the Tieflings then showing up in Last Light, but I'm not 100% sure.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Ashcans posted:

In theory you could simply leave for Moonrise without ever having the party, if you go to the mountain pass it will advance everything so the Tieflings have left without that scene. Of course, this means you will also skip that whole interaction and any companion dialogue and scenes that would have occurred, so it's a higher price to pay. I think that as long as you complete the actual missions this doesn't prevent the Tieflings then showing up in Last Light, but I'm not 100% sure.

I think that no matter what you do, you'll eventually get a forced long rest with the bard murdering.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Entropic posted:

What is your current party?

Ansur has 400 HP (could be more on tactician?) which is within what several different builds can put out in one turn if you’re lucky with rolls; were it not for his damage reduction. Certainly though between 4 party members you ought to be able to take him out round 1. It sounds like you’re fighting him relatively late as well since you’ve done cazador. He’s immune to lightning damage but a spell like Art of War would be very good against him, assuming you’ve looted Larroakan’s vaults already.

Aside from that - a fighter with GWM, any of the various paladin builds that can do 3-4+ smites in a round, a bard based sharpshooter archer, a tavern monk, a throwing barb - all of these builds do craploads of damage. Also remember the value of haste to put out extra damage.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

it should probably come as no surprise, but sword bard with dragonslayer arrows absolutely destroys him, especially if you do some setup beforehand with either perilous stakes or the piercing vuln dagger you can get in act 3

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

The Lord Bude posted:

What is your current party?

Ansur has 400 HP (could be more on tactician?) which is within what several different builds can put out in one turn if you’re lucky with rolls; were it not for his damage reduction. Certainly though between 4 party members you ought to be able to take him out round 1. It sounds like you’re fighting him relatively late as well since you’ve done cazador. He’s immune to lightning damage but a spell like Art of War would be very good against him, assuming you’ve looted Larroakan’s vaults already.

Aside from that - a fighter with GWM, any of the various paladin builds that can do 3-4+ smites in a round, a bard based sharpshooter archer, a tavern monk, a throwing barb - all of these builds do craploads of damage. Also remember the value of haste to put out extra damage.

On Tactician he has 600HP and has a flat -4 to every instance of damage.

e:

Managed to beat him down mostly with a hasted Minthara smiting him to death.

I still don't quite get who/what Ansur is exactly supposed to be though. The Emperor gives you a flashback that shows Ansur as a dragonborn, not a dragon, and all their dialog implies Ansur was humanoid when they knew each other and not a giant dragon. But then you find a letter on the dragon's corpse that implies Balduran knew Ansur as a dragon who could fly. What exactly is going on with all of that?

Entropic fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Jan 29, 2024

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Entropic posted:

I thought it would be around that. Still well within what a party can do in one round - I took him out in 1 round at level 11 for example in my current tactician run. Dragonslayer arrows help as was mentioned above, assuming you aren’t using a bard based archer.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Entropic posted:

e:

Managed to beat him down mostly with a hasted Minthara smiting him to death.

I still don't quite get who/what Ansur is exactly supposed to be though. The Emperor gives you a flashback that shows Ansur as a dragonborn, not a dragon, and all their dialog implies Ansur was humanoid when they knew each other and not a giant dragon. But then you find a letter on the dragon's corpse that implies Balduran knew Ansur as a dragon who could fly. What exactly is going on with all of that?

He's a dragon. Dragon's can and do polymorph into humanoid form a lot. Look at Quedenos. He does that when hanging out in cities with Voss.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

He's a dragon. Dragon's can and do polymorph into humanoid form a lot. Look at Quedenos. He does that when hanging out in cities with Voss.

RAW I think only metallics can shift into humanoid form in FR and BG3 kind of bucks this at such as with Qudenos, so I can see why it’s a little confusing if you know your FR lore. I think only in SKT does a chromatic have this ability, so it’s super rare

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

RAW I think only metallics can shift into humanoid form in FR and BG3 kind of bucks this at such as with Qudenos, so I can see why it’s a little confusing if you know your FR lore. I think only in SKT does a chromatic have this ability, so it’s super rare

Firkraag did it in BG2 so there's precedent I suppose.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Found some winged horrors in Moonrise you can have a whole interaction with all off on their own in a spot you can only sort of get to.

A new thing on my … 10th? time through act 2.

I noticed them on the landing below Ketheric because I’ve started clearing his little skeleton friends when I’m clearing the tower so that the fight with him is easier. I used feather fall to jump down and talk to them.

They were mad because all the bodies are being thrown below and not fed to them. So I convinced 2 of them to eat their leader and then we had a round of combat together before they munched on him and flew away.

If you don’t feather fall from the top of the tower, you have to fly up from the landing on the second floor. From there, you’ve got ladders and a wall you can break down to get back inside on the 2nd floor.

Voice acted. A choice to make. A little combat. And I’ve never even seen anyone else mention them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Geekboy posted:

Found some winged horrors in Moonrise you can have a whole interaction with all off on their own in a spot you can only sort of get to.

A new thing on my … 10th? time through act 2.

I noticed them on the landing below Ketheric because I’ve started clearing his little skeleton friends when I’m clearing the tower so that the fight with him is easier. I used feather fall to jump down and talk to them.

They were mad because all the bodies are being thrown below and not fed to them. So I convinced 2 of them to eat their leader and then we had a round of combat together before they munched on him and flew away.

If you don’t feather fall from the top of the tower, you have to fly up from the landing on the second floor. From there, you’ve got ladders and a wall you can break down to get back inside on the 2nd floor.

Voice acted. A choice to make. A little combat. And I’ve never even seen anyone else mention them.

first I’m hearing of it as well!