Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Motronic posted:

This is a wildly differnt take than your first post on the topic. Way to move the goalposts/pretend you didn't get called out on giving bad advice.

Christ dude. Wake up on the wrong side of the bed?

WD40 works in a pinch, but I switched to using the garage door spray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

My go-to for indoor hinges is silicone spray. It doesn't smell strongly (which is a big deal for my wife) and it's not nearly as prone to making a mess as graphite lube, which is a solid alternative if you don't have carpets you're worried about and can control the mess.

I'm not a big fan of white lithium grease just because of how it gets gross and tacky as it ages. It has its place, but I think that's mainly in settings where you can just hose down the part with degreaser when it's time to reapply.

I'll throw out a special mention to both transmission fluid and red synthetic automotive grease if it's someplace that you really don't care about the smell or any potential oil/grease stains under or around the hinge. Not at all good for indoor use, but I use them both for things like outdoor or garage hinges and latches. You can also thin down the synthetic grease with a bit of regular 'ol 10w30 synthetic motor oil make it into a kind of goopy paste about the consistency of honey that stays put really well on hinges. Again, outdoor use only.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I use a little squirt of generic bike grease because it's what I have in the garage. Works great.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

stealie72 posted:

This is some pro level <homophobic slur> right here.

Do you trust fund maoists really enjoy the scent of your own farts that much?
Counterpoint: we have three teenagers. I'm not lubricating the squeaky front door hinges till they are all adults.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

stealie72 posted:

Counterpoint: we have three teenagers. I'm not lubricating the squeaky front door hinges till they are all adults.

Hah I love that.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

If I'm pulling the door hinges: axle grease.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Open and close the door while applying a freshly-grilled salmon filet.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Silicone grease and this video have solved most of my hinge noise woes.

https://youtu.be/K5iHe2mql_s?si=XXJ_7SL61ILz-BWT

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Has anyone suggested Wd-40? Or bacon grease?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

No one suggested bacon grease, that's a terrible idea what a terrible waste of perfectly delicious bacon grease

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Use black truffle oil but you have to sautee some garlic in it first in order to really activate the lubrication

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

stealie72 posted:

This poster gets it.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Sundae posted:

Open and close the door while applying a freshly-grilled salmon filet.

Listen this is for home use, not office use.

Office doors should be lubricated with freshly microwaved salmon, though.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
My new house has tall doors that are all noisy as hell.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
You can also use a waxed base lube, very popular for bicycle and motorcycle chain uses. No smell/chemicals, no mess, and lasting effects like lithium grease.

Generally I use silicone.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Sex wax?

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

PerniciousKnid posted:

I forgot to answer these but yeah the pits are separate. I don't have a picture handy but the sewer pit is a screwed on lid with a discharge pipe (with check valve) routed to the main sewer outlet pipe, and what I assume is a vent next to it. Can't really see anything else until I take the lid off (or have someone do it).

Edit: should also say it isn't always every six minutes (not now for instance), that's just the peak I've noticed. When I turned the main off for an hour it seemed to slow down by a minute.

I'm curious how it's tied into the sewer outlet pipe, I wonder if it's getting some flow back from the sewer outlet pipe in combination with a failed check valve.

But honestly shutting the main off and having it continue to cycle does make me think groundwater.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

TrueChaos posted:

I'm curious how it's tied into the sewer outlet pipe, I wonder if it's getting some flow back from the sewer outlet pipe in combination with a failed check valve.

But honestly shutting the main off and having it continue to cycle does make me think groundwater.

Yeah the period changes from day to day but not moment to moment. Like, running the dishwasher or taking a shower doesn't make it cycle more frequently or anything. So that makes me think it's ground water.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Me, on my live stream, soaking all the hinges in my house in liquid parrafin wax

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
No fish jokes here, I legit used bicycle chain lube on the doors last time, because it's what I had around. It's doing fine 2 years later.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

TrueChaos posted:

It shouldn't be, better not be, and probably isn't. The pump trigger rate will be dictated by the groundwater volume, so it'll absolutely fluctuate before eventually stopping as the water level drops.

https://i.imgur.com/aYDRay2.mp4

* Between this post and my last one, my basement flooded due to sump pump failure. Caught it before the entire basement got hit, but it turned my Sunday afternoon from relaxing with football to plumbing & water extraction. Fortunately, Home Depot just got a shipment in. Also picked up a skimmer pump to draw down the crock first.

Then my trusty 12-gallon Wet-Vac died. It had been going for about a year, then it sucked water through somehow in a coup de grace. To Lowe's this time.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Continuing work on current plan "Remove sink, redo plumbing in basement and replace faucet, clean everything, glue sink to bottom of counter". Today was an exciting day of learning which of my valves, when closed, actually stop water from coming through. The answer may surprise you! It is definitely not most of them.

Anyway, people kept asking for pictures so I finally took a couple. Here is the current state of things.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jan 29, 2024

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Do yourself a favor while you've got everything apart and get rid of that loving soap dispenser. Changing the bottle can be a pain in the rear end and they always end up super gross. It is in no way, shape, or form superior to just plonking a bottle of hand soap next to the sink.

Yank the dispenser and find some chromed little greeble that you're OK with the look of it and then silicone it over the hole.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

PainterofCrap posted:

It shouldn't be, better not be, and probably isn't. The pump trigger rate will be dictated by the groundwater volume, so it'll absolutely fluctuate before eventually stopping as the water level drops.

https://i.imgur.com/aYDRay2.mp4

* Between this post and my last one, my basement flooded due to sump pump failure. Caught it before the entire basement got hit, but it turned my Sunday afternoon from relaxing with football to plumbing & water extraction. Fortunately, Home Depot just got a shipment in. Also picked up a skimmer pump to draw down the crock first.

Then my trusty 12-gallon Wet-Vac died. It had been going for about a year, then it sucked water through somehow in a coup de grace. To Lowe's this time.

I'm convinced anyone with a sump pump should own a utility pump and enough hose to empty the pit through the window in an emergency. There's always an emergency.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Cyrano4747 posted:

Do yourself a favor while you've got everything apart and get rid of that loving soap dispenser. Changing the bottle can be a pain in the rear end and they always end up super gross. It is in no way, shape, or form superior to just plonking a bottle of hand soap next to the sink.

Yank the dispenser and find some chromed little greeble that you're OK with the look of it and then silicone it over the hole.

I've never once unscrewed the bottle on mine. The pump mechanism on mine pulls out, and I use a funnel to refill it from the top. Takes 5 minutes, no mess.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Planning on removing it, as I have never even used it and yeah it seems like a nightmare to change

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Sinkchat: I replaced my standard two bowl lovely stainless sink with a big single and it’s the biggest quality of life thing I’ve ever done. So much nicer cleaning big sheet pans and cutting boards and poo poo. And it’s not a super difficult job, took me half a day including trip to hardware store to get different length drain pipes, though it’s probably worse if your sink is under hung.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

skipdogg posted:

I've never once unscrewed the bottle on mine. The pump mechanism on mine pulls out, and I use a funnel to refill it from the top. Takes 5 minutes, no mess.

Exactly what I was going to say. I already have like 4-5 bottles on the counter as it is, one less is a feature. Now if I could convince my wife we don't need separate decorative handsoap or lotion by the sink...

Alternately:

StormDrain fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jan 29, 2024

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you

bird with big dick posted:

Sinkchat: I replaced my standard two bowl lovely stainless sink with a big single and it’s the biggest quality of life thing I’ve ever done. So much nicer cleaning big sheet pans and cutting boards and poo poo. And it’s not a super difficult job, took me half a day including trip to hardware store to get different length drain pipes, though it’s probably worse if your sink is under hung.

Big single sink is the best, you just need a small bowl/pan to use in it when you want to soak veggies. I’ll never go back to a double sink.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

skipdogg posted:

I was also going to post the same. We're even buying things for our kitchen reno now and decided to keep a soap dispenser because having a bottle up there just adds to clutter and is unnecessary.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The real pro move is using an automatic soap dispenser. Makes washing dishes way more bearable.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

The Russians used a dish washer

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

PainterofCrap posted:

Absolutely shouldn't be but I've seen stranger fuckups and when Gary is involved I question everything. Pump trigger rate is determined by inflow into the pit, which will absolutely vary if its groundwater - but more likely day to day or seasonal variation.

PerniciousKnid posted:

I'm convinced anyone with a sump pump should own a utility pump and enough hose to empty the pit through the window in an emergency. There's always an emergency.

My sump pump has a smaller pump that runs off a big car battery in the event of a power outage. If I wasn't on well water, I'd put in a water driven pump as a backup, something like this:

https://www.amazon.ca/Liberty-Pumps-SJ10-Discharge-SumpJet/dp/B0013H94MO/ref=asc_df_B0013H94MO/

Not a recommendation for that specific pump, just for that style of pump as a backup. They use a lot of water - like, for every 2 gallons of sump water, you're using 1 gallon of city water to pump it - but an expensive water bill is less than dealing with a flooded basement.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Internet Explorer posted:

The real pro move is using an automatic soap dispenser. Makes washing dishes way more bearable.

Wait till you hear about automatic dish washers.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

TrueChaos posted:

Not a recommendation for that specific pump, just for that style of pump as a backup. They use a lot of water - like, for every 2 gallons of sump water, you're using 1 gallon of city water to pump it - but an expensive water bill is less than dealing with a flooded basement.

I already have a (battery) backup pump, and then my discharge line froze. Also apparently the battery got fried by an electric surge previously.

I wonder if my municipal code allows for water powered backup pumps.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

PerniciousKnid posted:

Wait till you hear about automatic dish washers.

Yeah but I do need to hand wash some stuff with soap like my cast iron pans.

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!
60/40 sink is the best sink. The large side is big enough for pots while the small side gives me space to wash my crystal beer glasses.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

StormDrain posted:

Yeah but I do need to hand wash some stuff with soap like my cast iron pans.

I thought cast iron was dry clean only.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Tremors posted:

60/40 sink is the best sink. The large side is big enough for pots while the small side gives me space to wash my crystal beer glasses.

I also prefer a large/small arrangement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

60/40 sink crew checking in. My wife uses the 60 side for dirty dish storage (:confused:) and she's banned from doing the same with the 40 side so I can actually use the sink to rinse stuff off or do stuff the sink was intended for. I don't know where she picked up this habit but I'm determined to not let my kids learn it