Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Puzzling Places would be awesome if they got a LotR collab. Minas Tirith, Helm's Deep, Shire, Moria, bunch of cool locations and buildings from the films.

I was doing Ancient Egypt and watching Return of the King and it hit me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Shuka posted:

That's an awfully funny way of saying Meta stopped supporting quest 1. It has absolutely nothing to do with software developers.

You can absolutely play walkabout on quest 1, it just won't be the same version as any other platform, including Meta/Quests platforms.

Nothing to do with developer whatsoever. Meta discontinued their own product so you would buy their new product

Technically theres nothing stopping developers from continuing to support the Quest 1.

So. While meta did sunset the thing, people can still support the thing. So long as the software runs on whatever the last firmware is, it'll be fine. I haven't tried to activate/use a Q1 in forever but I can't imagine they've removed the ability to play already supported titles.

Lots of teams (us included) were loving thrilled the Q1 was gone. You're crazy if you think anyone wanted to REALLY have to continue to support that thing, more so with new projects. I 100% would not want my art team spending time on lower LOD textures for the Q1 in 2024. No thanks.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jan 27, 2024

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

I left my original vive in a cupboard and when I checked years later all the soft parts had fuckin rotted or something. I gave it away for free

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
I'm hesitant to leave the Index for the Q3 because I'm very used to the controllers' finger tracking and being able to just reach out and pick things up by opening my hand, reaching out to thing, closing hand. Do the quest controllers have any sort of functionality at all to know the position of your fingers? They don't seem to have any sort of hand strap on them so opening your hand would seem to just be a recipe for dropping your controller.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

You can get a battery cover that provides knuckles-like hand strapping. And I believe there is some hand sensing stuff in there, like button proximity and such. And also just, like, actual hand tracking.

As someone who went from an Index to a Q3: zero regrets, none whatsoever, zilch. Would have done it sooner if I’d realized.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Valatar posted:

I'm hesitant to leave the Index for the Q3 because I'm very used to the controllers' finger tracking and being able to just reach out and pick things up by opening my hand, reaching out to thing, closing hand. Do the quest controllers have any sort of functionality at all to know the position of your fingers? They don't seem to have any sort of hand strap on them so opening your hand would seem to just be a recipe for dropping your controller.

You can get grips similar to the knuckles ones so you can fully release them.

There some capacitive stuff going on with the face buttons for your thumb, but I never noticed if the trigger or grip has this.

There is only one button for grip, which your middle finger presses. Ring and Pinky are not tracked in any way.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Bondematt posted:

There is only one button for grip, which your middle finger presses.

Not to be confused with the actual trigger, though, which is separate. Whereas the knuckles just have the trigger and you grip the body to grip, the quest has the trigger and a second trigger on the body that you grip to grip. The experience, in practice, is largely the same.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Bad Munki posted:

You can get a battery cover that provides knuckles-like hand strapping. And I believe there is some hand sensing stuff in there, like button proximity and such. And also just, like, actual hand tracking.

As someone who went from an Index to a Q3: zero regrets, none whatsoever, zilch. Would have done it sooner if I’d realized.

Same, I was planning to use both, but ended up getting rid of the Index because I just didn't want to use it at all anymore due to lesser optical quality and the wire.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah I have kept the index for the kids so far but I’m honestly considering selling it and getting a Q2 as the extra.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I could still install and play all the games on my Q1 and I never got any kind of update message saying the device was EoL or some such. I hadn't opened the store in years but nothing there either. It was actually kinda bad that despite not supporting the Q1 the store didn't pop up anything warning when I bought the golf game. Mind you, I was planning on streaming it so it was nbd, but as a dev I'd rather the store try to dissuade people from buying a game that I didn't support rather than deal with support headaches or bad reviews. It also looks like it would let me install it on the Q1 but I didn't try to play it so perhaps a message would pop up there.

I dunno how the Q2 and Q3 compare but the Q1 always felt like pretty underpowered hardware wise so no surprise devs want to move on from it. The only reason I abandoned pcvr so quickly for the Q1 was that I found going wireless a huge improvement and worth the shittier graphics. Is streaming pcvr better these days? It used to be very finicky but if it works pretty well without elaborate dedicated router setups then maybe I'll try to play some of these pcvr games again. I always liked Robo Recall a lot and barely ever played Blade and Sorcery.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

If anything it's more finnicky because of the higher bandwidth and compute/encoding requirements.

That said it's not too bad either, just have a decent router (not even dedicated is really needed) and gaming PC and you're okay. You can get a USB-C cable too.

e: I use this one and it works pretty well, comes with a velcro zip-tie built in: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0C8M795FW/

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jan 28, 2024

pantsfree
Oct 22, 2012

FuzzySlippers posted:

I could still install and play all the games on my Q1 and I never got any kind of update message saying the device was EoL or some such. I hadn't opened the store in years but nothing there either. It was actually kinda bad that despite not supporting the Q1 the store didn't pop up anything warning when I bought the golf game. Mind you, I was planning on streaming it so it was nbd, but as a dev I'd rather the store try to dissuade people from buying a game that I didn't support rather than deal with support headaches or bad reviews. It also looks like it would let me install it on the Q1 but I didn't try to play it so perhaps a message would pop up there.

I'm pretty sure you can still buy and play the game, but you'll be stuck on the last available supported version with no further updates provided, so you won't get the new features/courses, etc.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I was watching the 3D version of the first Jurassic World on my headset and it's surprising how simple the models of the dinosaurs in the movie really are.

The texture work is insanely detailed of course, but when you see stuff like their mouths up close it seems like they barely bothered carving out the insides at all.

Vakal fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 28, 2024

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

We had a really fun time with the golf game! I'm getting pretty tempted by a Q3.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

They’re real nice.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Yupitergrad 2 released today a Q3 patch (although it seems the typical increased resolution fix and that's it) and more interestingly, they have decreased the price of the game, I got it for 13,5€ with a referral.

It seems VR trad platformings are still coming, two more for the next month:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ir4qzY-k9tM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e5DYQDqjpQ

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Vakal posted:

I was watching the 3D version of the first Jurassic World on my headset and it's surprising how simple the models of the dinosaurs in the movie really are.

The texture work is insanely detailed of course, but when you see stuff like their mouths up close it seems like they barely bothered carving out the insides at all.

Jurassic Park 3D was an after-the-fact conversion, it certainly wasn't filmed nor the original CGI rendered stereoscopically. The models used for the 3D view likely have nothing to do with the models used for actually rendering the movie.

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010
How do you watch movies in 3D? Any suggestion for platform or anything, i have no idea where to start.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

BigScreen has some titles to rent, they're not very good but I did enjoy Ghost in the Shell.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Killstick posted:

How do you watch movies in 3D? Any suggestion for platform or anything, i have no idea where to start.

Acquire your SBS/OU 3d video stuffs.
Boot up Big Screen
Fire up the movie in VLC
Tell Big Screen its 3d or w/e in the option menu thing.
Profit.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
I use Virtual Desktop on Steam for 3D movies, theres an environment that is modeled after the best IMAX theater in the world that is incredible. Absolutely massive.

The creator actually made a custom version for me per request(insanely nice gesture) where the seat position is moved to the back for more screen view. I can share it if anyones interested.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
what are some movies that are actually good in 3d?

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Al! posted:

Dredd

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Unironically Jackass 3D.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Al! posted:

Coraline has some of the best uses of 3D, but the catch is the SBS version is only loving awesome instead of God drat loving amazing.

Spiderverse similarly did some Cool rear end poo poo, especially once Miles gets Comic Bubble Thoughts.

Everyone probably owns Nightmare before Christmas since it was one of the first big 3D films from the mid 00s.

Also all of the downloads/streams of 3D films are SBS because the *actual* 3D format on Blu3D isn't supported by, like, any headsets :dafuq: :suicide:

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Al! posted:

Im one of the rare 3D enthusiasts so I enjoy pretty much anything in 3D and not all of these are well liked movies but Id say:

Spiderman: Into The Spider-verse
Life of Pi
Long Days Journey Into Night(chinese noir film, entire last hour is one long 3D shot and its mindblowing)
Gravity
Doctor Strange
Edge of Tomorrow
Guardians of the Galaxy Trilogy
Kubo and the Two Strings(any Laika or stop motion movie tbh)
Mad Max Fury Road
Beowulf
Ready Player One
Monsterverse Franchise(Godzilla, King of the Monsters, Skull Island and Godzilla vs Kong)
Pacific Rim
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
Dredd
Dune
Jupiter Ascending
Avengers IW + Endgame
MCU Spiderman movies
MCU movies in general tbh
Valerian
Prometheus
Rogue One
Man of Steel
Mission Impossible Fallout(a very rare 3D experience but Ive got it and its pretty cool, albeit not great quality res wise)

Im personally a big fan of the 3D remasters of Titantic, Terminator 2 and Jurassic Park as well. Hell they even converted The Last Emperor to 3D for some reason and it rocks.

Documentaries:

Pina
Cave of Forgotten Dreams
Hubble 3D
IMAX Under the Sea
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds 3D(insanely cool if youre a fan, its a straight up 3D arthouse live performance)

Literally any CGI animated film, always looks cool since native 3D rendering is easy.

But my favorites are for those:

How To Train Your Dragon Trilogy
Toy Story 1,2 and 4
Moana
Monsters Inc
Finding Nemo
Legend of Guardians: Owls of Gahoole
Lego Movie 1+2

If anyone here is interested in seeing any of these, Id be happy to host a VR watch party. I own and ripped all of these and often host movie viewings on discord with friends.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Jan 30, 2024

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Okay. I love the Spiderverse movies. Where would I be able to watch that in 3D with a Quest 2?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
thx for the recs everyone!

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

Also all of the downloads/streams of 3D films are SBS because the *actual* 3D format on Blu3D isn't supported by, like, any headsets :dafuq: :suicide:

Stereoscopic Player is where its at, allows you to open the SSIF file from an .iso as a SBS, basically giving you the full resolution and bitrate.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Beastie posted:

BigScreen has some titles to rent, they're not very good but I did enjoy Ghost in the Shell.

Bigscreen doesn't have rentals available at the moment. They may come back but who knows.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Okay. I love the Spiderverse movies. Where would I be able to watch that in 3D with a Quest 2?

I don't think there is any legal way, at the very least without removing DRM from purchased media.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

explosivo posted:

Being on a moving treadmill (a normal one, not, like, one of those VR treadmills) with a VR headset on feels like the most dangerous poo poo in the world to me unless you're walking unbelievably slow. Something like a stationary bike or even an elliptical I could see but I almost beef it walking on a treadmill without a headset all the time so I imagine in virtual reality it would be real dangerous or nausea inducing.

Ask me about my work where we get someone in VR to hold on to an electric wheelchair and drag them along for a hundred metres in a busy museum.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Vision Pro reviews embargos have lifted.

https://www.theverge.com/24054862/apple-vision-pro-review-vr-ar-headset-features-price

As everyone expected, it probably needs a few more generations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Apparently that Underdogs game is pretty good going from the reviews, anyone here give it a try?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

The Grumbles posted:

Vision Pro reviews embargos have lifted.

https://www.theverge.com/24054862/apple-vision-pro-review-vr-ar-headset-features-price

As everyone expected, it probably needs a few more generations.

The beginning of that review basically seems like marketing copy.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Two insights about this whole space from that article jump out to me:

The first is the #1, biggest question in the list of pro/con: "Am I willing to mess to my hair every time I put this on?"

I didn't properly appreciate this myself in product design until late, and found it bewildering personally, but it's true and can't be ignored. People HATE putting things on their heads, and they HATE messing up their hair. Exhibit A is that it's literally the #1 thing mentioned in this article's "yes, but" section, twice, in an article that even acknowledges what the device is and that what it does is sometimes magical. This isn't some rando, this person is absolutely an enthusiast.

quote:

It sounds amazing, and sometimes it is. But the Vision Pro also represents a series of really big tradeoffs

The article brings up a lot of early adopter and what I'd consider non-technical issues, but it's true there are also still big, core technical tradeoffs in this space. And as analyst and former optical guy Karl Guttag likes to say, if all it took to solve those problems was money and smart people, they'd be solved by now.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
VR's original audience (nerds) don't care about it but yeah people shouldn't dismiss the hair/makeup thing. I've done a couple of stints as a docent managing headsets at an exhibition and people that are gussied up get a lot less curious about it once they realize how smothering and messy headsets can be.

The review mostly seems like stuff we've already known for a while, although heavier than the quest 3 is pretty disappointing. kinda fundamentally disagree with the idea the tech is inherently isolating though; relative to reality for sure, but thats a less and less dominant part of many people's lives. Once the grotesque avatars are a few generations down the line I think this kind of computing offers the promise of making things <less> isolating than 2d screens. Being in proximity to someone you know in VR space is so much more real feeling than near anything else that's possible digitally.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Looking at the resolution it apparently is WUHD per eye, which basically 5K (there is a bunch of speculation claiming double that, but this appears to be the case).

Still pretty impressive especially in OLED but I dunno, $3500 is a lot of money.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jan 30, 2024

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
It's also meaningful how the guy says the first thing he realizes after playing with the tools to set up a cool little art gallery is that he can't show it to anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

The Eyes Have It posted:

It's also meaningful how the guy says the first thing he realizes after playing with the tools to set up a cool little art gallery is that he can't show it to anyone.

I've been saying this forever. "Wow I can view pictures in a slightly new way. A completely isolating lonely way!"