Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
the killer is rust

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Final lines of the season in episode 5:

'It was me, Quavvik. I did the murders. I did all the murders. Those in California too.'

There are no lines in episode 6

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

There's a scene after the credits where Rust walks and asks Danvers if she's heard about the True Detective inititative.
Also, someone at HBO likes Seven Devils given that it was used both in this season and for the trailer of season two of GoT.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Danvers needs to learn more about Travis so she calls the only person who might be able to track down his son: Rustin's old partner Marty Hart.

[unseen on the other end of the phone in a voice that clearly isn't Woody Harrelsons's] Marty: Sorry Chief. Rusty's been dead. Passed out and choked on his own, you know. Too bad we never did reconcile after we failed to solve those Yellow King murders back when.

e: Danvers is supposed to be a hyper focused and hyper talented detective right? But I'm not seeing the program either show or tell this. There's just that she was promoted and that might have been for sex reasons. And maybe her questions to Peter but that's about it. She also gave up on the Abby case.

Or am I getting this wrong? Is she meant to be foolishly taking on something beyond her expetience and competence?

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Jan 28, 2024

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Danvers hosed everyone.
Literally and metaphorically

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Peter is Danvers' father

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Henchman of Santa posted:

S1’s theme was the most western poo poo ever which is really silly for a show set in the bayou, but it fit the mood extremely well.

S1 should have had a setting-appropriate theme, something like https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uRRW3aine6Y

Blue Nation
Nov 25, 2012

Bright Bart posted:

She also gave up on the Abby case.

She says to Navarro that she wasn't even in Ennis for that case, apparently the only one who gave a poo poo at the time was Navarro and she couldn't solve it.

Reading this thread I decided to watch S02 but try as I might every time Vaughn is onscreen I'm reminded of Dodgeball, I cannot take him seriously.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I would have loved to have heard this song show up in S1, or any song from the album really.

Was also waiting for Earth to show up in NOPE and got really excited when I saw one of the kids wearing an Earth t-shirt but ... nothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uqeTHAjMJI

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Bright Bart posted:

Peter is Danvers' father

Time is a flat NuvaRing

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

Blue Nation posted:

Reading this thread I decided to watch S02 but try as I might every time Vaughn is onscreen I'm reminded of Dodgeball, I cannot take him seriously.

Season 2 is 50% pretty good, 50% Vince Vaughn.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Lets not get into that again. 20% really like that season, 30% really dislike it, 50% found it a let down as a season of TD. With more people in this thread in particular being of the first sort.

More SE01 and SE03 talk. And more ridiculous theories about season 4. (So far the best part is that a guy gruesomely thaws out of a pile of frozen corpses and after learning that he can't be questioned just now, proceed to ignore this fact. Also, are cops even in Alaska so jaded that they joke about and take selfies with frozen corpses? I mean there is such a thing as a coping mechanism but come on.)

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jan 28, 2024

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Bright Bart posted:

Or am I getting this wrong? Is she meant to be foolishly taking on something beyond her expetience and competence?

I would say yes, absolutely wrong.

She's clearly the best detective in town by a long shot, running circles around everyone else and figuring stuff out on her own. She's knew about the tongue, she knew they had been gone for hours based on the mayo, she followed that guys financial records to identify the tattoo, she noticed the jacket, etc etc. Her protégée found the trailer but only by following the questions and instructions she gave him.

She plays everything very close to the chest and doesn't tell anyone anything she doesn't need to. Which makes perfect sense considering that her de facto second in command is, at best, willfully insubordinate, and at worst an industry plant there to impede investigations.

She can't really be blamed for the native woman's murder since it happened before she worked there. But she did investigate it anyways, she just doesn't talk about it since she wasn't able to find anything. Again, close to the chest. Considering it was already a cold case when she arrived and looked at it, and that the company that owns the town is actively working against getting it solved her not finding anything is understandable.

Doctor Who is the only person who calls her current assignment a "promotion" and he's pretty clearly full of poo poo. No one else, especially Danvers, seems to treat her current assignment as anything other than a banishment from wherever she was from. Certainly not a cushy job she was able to screw her way into.

I think she's stubbornly holding onto a case that is beyond her resources because she knows that, considering the circumstances, if she lets it go it's probably going to quietly go unsolved and forgotten.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
What's interesting to me is trying to figure out how much of Danvers' bravado is genuine confidence vs. a mask she wears to hide her doubts. She started by completely brushing off the idea that the native woman's murder could be connected- was she really that convinced they weren't related, or was she revealing some guilt about not having found the killer? Does she feel guilty about it at all? Throw in the side dish of racism she's shown exhibiting and it makes for complex character that's fun to explore.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Agree that there is a lot of interesting stuff going on with the character. She's definitely not bland. I didn't even get that she's an rear end in a top hat and bad person until way into episode 2. I'm just so used to the "grumpy ol' police chief with a secret heart of gold" trope that I kept projecting that on her. But nope, just a huge rear end in a top hat, through and true.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

What's interesting to me is trying to figure out how much of Danvers' bravado is genuine confidence vs. a mask she wears to hide her doubts. She started by completely brushing off the idea that the native woman's murder could be connected- was she really that convinced they weren't related, or was she revealing some guilt about not having found the killer? Does she feel guilty about it at all? Throw in the side dish of racism she's shown exhibiting and it makes for complex character that's fun to explore.

I thought it was just Occam's Razor in action. Until there's proof the cases are connected, assuming they are both complicates and steers the investigation. Best to only follow the evidence that relates to this specific case. Of course, once there's proof of a connection, you have to follow that too.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I thought it was just Occam's Razor in action. Until there's proof the cases are connected, assuming they are both complicates and steers the investigation. Best to only follow the evidence that relates to this specific case. Of course, once there's proof of a connection, you have to follow that too.
Aside from that, it seems like she didn't even want to tell Navarro that she knew all the details of the old case before, though, even though that apparently resulted in Navarro incorrectly thinking she wasn't taking it seriously, resulting in Navarro disliking her more, so I think her reluctance to tell Navarro that she was considering a connection until there was hard evidence might also be related whatever motivation she had for that?

(I don't know if that was to avoid getting Navarro's hopes ups / encouraging her to keep looking into it in an ill-advised way or what.)

mystes fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jan 28, 2024

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Her not telling Navarro, I just took that as her just not giving a gently caress what anyone, including Navarro thought of her. She wasn't able to solve it so what does it even matter how much time she spend looking into the case? Originally I thought it could be she just doesn't trust anyone, since she already has one obvious insubordinate troll in her office. But on further thought, I think its safe to say the only person we can be sure isn't secretly helping the mining company cover up that murder is Navarro.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Bright Bart posted:

e: Danvers is supposed to be a hyper focused and hyper talented detective right? But I'm not seeing the program either show or tell this. There's just that she was promoted and that might have been for sex reasons. And maybe her questions to Peter but that's about it. She also gave up on the Abby case.

In my mind Danvers is like Jim Hopper from Stranger Things. Everyone thinks he is a washed up small town shithead but he is actually paying attention and putting together the pieces of the case. Not hyper-competent just competent.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Cranappleberry posted:

the killer is rust

Neill Young cameo confirmed.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
No one in this show can give exposition about themselves unless directly asked omg it’s so baaaaaaaad

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The biggest question about all those photos is who was still having photos printed in 2016? That’s the scientist guy’s biggest perversion.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
But who threw orange

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Really awful episode

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I wonder how expensive oranges are in Alaska in December.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

An opening song based on that Inuit throat singing would be a better fit for the opening credits.

rich thick and creamy
May 23, 2005

To whip it, Whip it good
Pillbug

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Really awful episode

The show basically stepped outside for an extended smoke break, got distracted, looked at the time, saw it only had 5 minutes left, remembered there was a ball of frozen scientists that was not solved, and barfed up enough so that we could tune in next week.

Tune in next week: For More of the Same!

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Show continues to be good. I like that they're not pulling punches with the town being full of lovely people.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Why were the hunters getting in a fight in the hospital other than a convenient excuse for Danvers to not be there to see the demon possession?

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
People and animals seeing / doing strange poo poo after being out on the ice is kind of a recurring thing in this season of this television show.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
God love how European these houses are, make some attempt to find some non Icelandic buildings

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

People and animals seeing / doing strange poo poo after being out on the ice is kind of a recurring thing in this season of this television show.

Fair enough! I just don’t think I know why they were at the hospital to begin with?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Why were the hunters getting in a fight in the hospital other than a convenient excuse for Danvers to not be there to see the demon possession?

To leave it a question as to if it really happened or if Navarro hallucinated/imagined it

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I rewound to make sure I wasn’t crazy, but why is Twist and Shout playing in Danver’s refrigerator.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

If they weren’t going to develop the investigation, they could have at least developed the characters. Two detectives talking on a car ride should be the core of True Detective, but they forgot to make the characters fun in that way. I like that nobody tried looking at Annie K’s phone before now, the most obvious place to look for clues, but I guess if the mine has someone covering things up, it’s maybe excusable. I was really expecting the True Detective shootout moment with long tracking shots at that ice camp, but eh.

Also cool how placid the patients and staff in that hospital are while hearing the recorded screams of someone being murdered played maybe three feet away from them.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

fullroundaction posted:

I rewound to make sure I wasn’t crazy, but why is Twist and Shout playing in Danver’s refrigerator.

Zuul.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Who has a college test on December 23?

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

I AM GRANDO posted:

If they weren’t going to develop the investigation, they could have at least developed the characters. Two detectives talking on a car ride should be the core of True Detective, but they forgot to make the characters fun in that way.

Hey they turned on the siren and lights when they were leaving that village on the north shore that probably has several vehicles per week. That was the fun part of the drive.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Fair enough! I just don’t think I know why they were at the hospital to begin with?

Danvers got a call saying there was an accident in the search party. Somebody fell or shot someone by accident or something and they were fighting about it.

They didn't look at Annie K's phone yet because they only found it in the trailer last episode and Peter only just got it open.

Show is pretty lovely but these things are all said straight out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

only 3 episodes left eh