Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

They really did course-correct as much as they could, and angry to not see where that would've gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah as bad as Iron Fist started I think the end of season 2 ended in a good place and wanted to see more.

My dream scenario was that Luke Cage season 3 would be basically Daughters of the Dragon and focus on Colleen and Misty taking down Luke and then him and Danny teaming up to be Heroes for Hire.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

bentacos posted:

Yeah as bad as Iron Fist started I think the end of season 2 ended in a good place and wanted to see more.

My dream scenario was that Luke Cage season 3 would be basically Daughters of the Dragon and focus on Colleen and Misty taking down Luke and then him and Danny teaming up to be Heroes for Hire.

Well, this is now on my wishlist too.

Mind, with how popular and well-received the return of Daredevil has been, there’s sure to be a halo effect where they’re likely to bring a lot of the rest of the Netflix crew back.

It’s easy content for them. All the setup has been done, they can just do a cool couple of stories to tie things up.

It’ll legit be funny as hell if a Defenders + Spidey team-up against Fisk and his minions becomes a street-level Endgame that wraps up the Netflix heroes and that it ends up being the best thing put out in the entire Phase 5/6 era.

Basically Daredevil is gonna save the MCU.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

There have been persistent rumors of bringing back Jessica Jones and Luke Cage. I doubt Iron Fist comes back in the same form since it was pretty much universally panned. I made it like 6 episodes into season 1.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Season 2 is so much better and I'm not damning with faint praise

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
You can tell they realized after S1 that Danny Rand sucked, and they just fully leaned into it in the Defenders and S2.

but yeah S2 of Iron Fist was alright, and ended at a point where I wanted to see what happened next.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I do wish they had Danny in an Iron First costume. the non DD netflix shows were deathly afraid of costumes. Though to be fair, Only DD and Iron Fist ever wore costumes.

If they bring back JJ, I'd hope desperately they don't bring the netflix Patsy Walker with her.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

I’m happy if they somehow bring the Purple Man back. David Tennant was terrifying in that role. Such amazing casting.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Henwick is making a name for herself and she wants in the MCU. It'd be strange if they didn't bring her back.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

twistedmentat posted:

I do wish they had Danny in an Iron First costume. the non DD netflix shows were deathly afraid of costumes. Though to be fair, Only DD and Iron Fist ever wore costumes.

If they bring back JJ, I'd hope desperately they don't bring the netflix Patsy Walker with her.
They were also deathly afraid of magic but so was a lot of the MCU early on doing that "It's actually advanced science" boring bullshit

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

Give me 8 episodes of Jon Bernthal trying to shoot Tom Holland as the comics dictate, Marvel you cowards

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Still want Shanna the She-Devil punching through velociraptors and breaking their backs with bear hugs and poo poo. I want dual-wielding machetes and comical raptor decapitations. Make Shanna white, black, cis, trans, whatever. I don’t care as long as I get bare handed dinosaur murder.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Marsupial Ape posted:

Still want Shanna the She-Devil punching through velociraptors and breaking their backs with bear hugs and poo poo. I want dual-wielding machetes and comical raptor decapitations. Make Shanna white, black, cis, trans, whatever. I don’t care as long as I get bare handed dinosaur murder.

Only as long as Ka-Zar joins her :colbert:

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
I'm four of five episodes through Echo. I have to admit, I'm stunned that I haven't had the show accidentally spoiled for me, as I have no idea how it ends even though it's been out nearly a month. So I thought I would post my thoughts so far, then come back in the next couple of days and see how much I still agree with anything I said. Because the endings to these shows tend to be a huge letdown.

So here goes...
-- A few minor things aside, this show is way better than I ever thought it would be during the time it was being reported what a troubled production it is.

-- The pacing is fairly tight, and never feels like it drags needlessly, which is actually a massive improvement over the majority of MCU Disney+ shows.

-- As someone whose great grandmother was Choctaw, it's super cool to see this culture that's part of my DNA fleshed out on TV. The intro for ep2 with the stickball game was really well done. Not perfect, but incredibly well done on the technical details for the most part.

-- The camera work to make Fisk look absolutely gargantuan is, dare I say, better than how Netflix did it. I mean, he was big, but the way they play with angles to make Fisk look a gigantic or smaller depending on his leverage/position in the scene is really well executed.

-- The action is, for the most part, better than I anticipated it might be. There's a few times where it's a little corny or unconvincing, but as a whole, massive improvement over a lot of the MCU shows to date. Really, only Hawkeye and Cap and Winter Soldier had better action sequences, IMO.

-- I do appreciate the Marvel Spotlight brand. I think it's perfect for these character-driven street level stories. Somehow, I was more enthused to watch this than several other recent shows because I could go into knowing it was only relevant to itself, and not required to watch the next show or movie. I'm realizing I'm getting tired from remembering so many connections now.

-- Only thing that has consistently been annoying to me is the power scaling with Maya. I'm assuming her actual power will be revealed in the finale, but it doesn't make a ton of sense "see a mystic spiral and enter god mode," got it. But also she whoops major rear end, then gets taken by some meth-y trailer trash in the next episode? Huh? Pick a lane and stick to it, please.

So I'll come back later and see how badly Marvel fucks it up with the latest ending. Or who knows, maybe I'll be surprised and the ending will be really good.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Oasx posted:

Only as long as Ka-Zar joins her :colbert:

You know the long one-shot hallway fight scenes they had in Daredevil? I want that, but with Shanna and a stairwell full of velociraptors.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

But would the raptors have feathers, or no?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Could mean nothing, but Krysten Ritter said she has some career announcements coming in the next couple weeks, then she just posted this with the caption: "IYKYK"

It's the same shirt from Jessica Jones season 1.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
This was also reported shortly after, so even though it would be great to see her back as Jessica Jones, it would also be kind of hilarious if those original two posts had nothing to do with each other and it was just a coincidence.

https://twitter.com/HollywoodHandle/status/1752130095500698067

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jan 30, 2024

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Jessica Jones in Sonic!!?! (Probably Rouge the Bat or Amy Rose)

She-Hulk really, really needs to have a part in a Jessica Jones series.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Maybe she's moving back into Apt. 23.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Rappaport posted:

But would the raptors have feathers, or no?

I do lovey a good murder turkey.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Here's something about Echo and the sign language portrayal I've been wondering and have trouble really judging for obvious reasons (being deaf): the sign language dialogue was extremely stiff and slow for reasons I can't really piece together. I was guessing it is because it's ASL which I'm not fluent in (but able to understand what's what with subtitles) but then I saw interviews with Alaqua Cox and she's just like really fluid (and cheerful but that's a different thing) with her signs. I was wondering if actors in interviews sound similarly fast and more natural compared to their on-screen behavior?

Basically the sign language was one. sign. after. the. other. and. it. went. like. this. And then you see her on TV and she's like signing the whole amount of dialogue she had in the series in 2 minutes.

There was also an obvious difference between the actors that were actually deaf and those that learned it for the show, like Echo's mother being more fluent, baby echo being more fluent and so on. That was more of a neat observation.

I thought (episode 3 or 4, not sure) the magic computer interpreter was dumb and I'm happy Echo commented on that and trashed it. I thought Kingpin shooting the human interpreter was dumb as well because certified interpreters are dead on professional and will take any secret to the grave but I understood the sentiment, in a way it was a cool touch.

However (Hawkeye spoilers in connection with the new Echo series) when Kingpin was revealed as speaking sign language in Hawkeye it was really touching and in my view characterized him as someone who really tried to learn Echo's language because he loved her like his own child. Something a lot of actual parents don't bother with. Then they sort of tossed that when it was revealed that she was mad at him that he never really learned the language, that was weird. It all felt sort of rushed and not very fleshed out.

Despite that it's still one of the greatest depictions of sign language and deafness in popular media in a good long while. I hope they stick with her and do more with the subject matter.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
There was apparently quite a bit of thought put into how they displayed the ASL being used:

https://www.gamesradar.com/echo-asl-close-ups-sydney-freeland-disney-plus/

quote:

"One of the other things that was important to us, in terms of family members who aren't deaf – we learned that there are degrees of proficiency in ASL," Freeland says. "We try to incorporate that into our story. So, you have characters who are more 'fluent' in ASL than others. People that are more fluent will sign, but they won't speak.

The people who are less proficient might be a little bit stilted in their signing, but they will also speak at the same time, and that's called simcom. So what we tried to do is actually build a spectrum of experience in the family members surrounding Maya Lopez. It all comes down to authenticity. And in doing so, hopefully we get to tell a more true story."

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Doronin posted:

:words: about Echo

I went ahead and knocked it out, and the ending definitely came across as something that was cut short and they had to scramble to make it work with what they had. A few stray thoughts...

- Disappointing that the action sequences never even came close to matching the DD fight in ep1.

- I still don't understand what Echo's powers are supposed to be other than a mystical plot device. I really got the feeling there was supposed to be something more specific, which brought me back to the plot rumors/leaks about her being able to conjure weapons from her ancestors or whatever.

- The weirdest detail was when Biscuits texts Maya to let her know "Pokni and Bonnie didn't show up." Except there was no Pokni? Did an entire character just get lost in the edit? Just odd. I scrolled the entire IMDB cast list twice to make sure nobody was cast in that role. Nope.

- I really didn't mind how Maya overcame Fisk. We already saw DD beat him in a street fight, so doing that all over again wouldn't have been very interesting, but diving into his mind and just scrambling his thoughts didn't seem like a bad way to go. Would have been stronger if there had been any explanation of what her powers even are. Again, considering how obvious it was that the show was knee-capped in production, I thought they made decent decisions with where to take it.

- On Fisk's plan to retaliate, but that didn't seem in character. Fisk, as established in the re-re-canonized Netflix shows didn't seem like someone who would plot something to draw massive attention. Attacking an entire giant festival event just seemed out of character and cartoonish to me.

- Also, back to Maya's powers, but when her and grandma and Bonnie all got the powers at the same time, it really reminded me of the end of Shazam when all the kids got powers. Just smaller scale. Except that Bonnie is her cousin, so these powers just take up with anyone in the bloodline, or is specific to Maya's bloodline? I mean, I guess it doesn't matter since I suspect we won't see these characters again anytime soon.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Pokni is Chocktaw for Grandmother. The powers are basically "In times of grave need, your ancestors will reach out to you to grant you their skills aka their powers will echo down to you."

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Doronin posted:

-- Only thing that has consistently been annoying to me is the power scaling with Maya. I'm assuming her actual power will be revealed in the finale, but it doesn't make a ton of sense "see a mystic spiral and enter god mode," got it. But also she whoops major rear end, then gets taken by some meth-y trailer trash in the next episode? Huh? Pick a lane and stick to it, please.

Yeah I actually went back and watched that part again because I thought I must have missed something important whereby Echo was suddenly captured.

But no, just 'they grabbed her'. Obviously the next bit of the show required her to have been captured, but they needed to put some more thought into a better way to get there.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Giant Tourtiere posted:

Yeah I actually went back and watched that part again because I thought I must have missed something important whereby Echo was suddenly captured.

But no, just 'they grabbed her'. Obviously the next bit of the show required her to have been captured, but they needed to put some more thought into a better way to get there.

As described above, Maya's powers are derived from her ancestors. If it's more literal than simple ancestral memory, it could be that she can only use those powers when she's in need. So she gets all the skill she needs when she's fighting a badass like Daredevil who will take her down otherwise, but some trailer trash? Handle it yourself, girl, we can't do everything for you.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Marsupial Ape posted:

You know the long one-shot hallway fight scenes they had in Daredevil? I want that, but with Shanna and a stairwell full of velociraptors.

This is too long for a thread title but it should be a thread title.

Teek posted:

Pokni is Chocktaw for Grandmother. The powers are basically "In times of grave need, your ancestors will reach out to you to grant you their skills aka their powers will echo down to you."

When I know someone comes from a different culture and speaks more than one language, I just sort of assume that they have their own words for family members. My stepmom is Romanian, we have an additional word for "Grandmother" at my house, "Bunică". I don't really speak any other languages, to my own disappointment.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Does anyone have a quick link/summary of Echo's troubled production? Like was their episode order slashed midway or something?

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Teek posted:

Oooooh, that all makes way more sense now. I didn't remember anyone calling the grandma "Pokni" at any point, just Chulla. As for the powers, ok, that works. I guess that makes sense to have a cultural attachment to her powers than having her just be "Taskmaster again" like in the comics.

Giant Tourtiere posted:

Yeah, same. I didn't mention this earlier, but this was the first MCU show that wasn't bogged down by heaps of drat exposition, and also the first show that actually could have benefitted from a little more of it. Otherwise at times things just seem to happen almost at random.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Doronin posted:

Yeah, same. I didn't mention this earlier, but this was the first MCU show that wasn't bogged down by heaps of drat exposition, and also the first show that actually could have benefitted from a little more of it. Otherwise at times things just seem to happen almost at random.

Overall I really liked Echo as well. I thought it was paced well, I like their version of her powers more than just 'another person with photographic reflexes' the way it is in the comics, and the tone was a nice balance of light and serious stuff. Graham Green and Tantoo Cardinal need more time bickering amiably around future shows though.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Changing Echo's powers in the show was a bad choice imho. The climax just absolutely didn't land for me, in the same way that the Kids at the end of Love and Thunder didn't land.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Narcissus1916 posted:

Does anyone have a quick link/summary of Echo's troubled production? Like was their episode order slashed midway or something?

I don’t think this ever got reported in the trades so all of this is via Jeff Sneider, but I think the original order was all shot, but as they started editing it all together it wasn’t working, so they rewrote the show and intended to do reshoots, then the strikes happened, so they just cut it all up in post.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

Teek posted:

There was apparently quite a bit of thought put into how they displayed the ASL being used:

https://www.gamesradar.com/echo-asl-close-ups-sydney-freeland-disney-plus/

yeah that part about the varying levels feels spot on and they did that very well. thanks for the link!

still, echo signs so slow, I wish there was more where they'd just let her off the chain entirely. but still, happy about the honestly very diverse portrayal not just in this regard.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

This show better have amazing stunts because every set piece seems to involve stunt foam which is a pain to prep and paint. Plus we listen to the stunt men rehearsing all day and its super distracting.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Been a long drat day, need some Loki

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGt2M7GN6Jw

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

That reminds me, the only thing I didn't like about the Loki finale were his weird little slippers at the end.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

The_Doctor posted:

That reminds me, the only thing I didn't like about the Loki finale were his weird little slippers at the end.

Well, after season 1, there was no way he was going to wear croc's.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

was Echo filmed during COVID protocols? There's a lot of weird choppy edits, and not just in the (admittedly fun!) fight scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Narcissus1916 posted:

was Echo filmed during COVID protocols? There's a lot of weird choppy edits, and not just in the (admittedly fun!) fight scenes.

Ms. Marvel was shot during covid, it didn't have this problem.