Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

https://variety.com/2024/film/news/dakota-johnson-absolutely-psychotic-madame-web-blue-screen-1235889691/

Dakota has started the news cycle of "I am painfully aware I acted lovely in this movie and its poo poo but it's the directors fault"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Isn’t that what got Shia Labeouf in poo poo?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It seems like we're getting more actor pushback against working on lovely green screen sets. At least with the Volume you can see where you're supposed to be.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

muscles like this! posted:

It seems like we're getting more actor pushback against working on lovely green screen sets. At least with the Volume you can see where you're supposed to be.

good imo. green screen poo poo is lame and too many lazy directors rely on it and make the poor vfx workers deal with their poo poo.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

I worked on Shazam 2, which used an LED wall instead of a greenscreen for the scenes on the school rooftop, and honestly a greenscreen would have been better. The LED graphics were only placeholder, so we had to do a lot of really precise rotoscoping for characters with frizzy hair rather than just pulling a key, and were kind of locked-in to certain things like the position of the sun, since no amount of roto is going to to be able to change the bright light shining right behind their shoulder.

LED walls can be good if you've got something close to the final assets to use when filming, but an inexperienced director with a green screen is at least going to give you more clean pieces when you have to fix their stuff than an inexperienced director with an LED wall.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Especially fort!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

My hot take is try and do it for real. The volume was a cool experiment but like you said inexperienced filmmakers aren’t using it right and thus making it harder on vfx artists.

I’m watching the chair now because I’m on a weird Shane Dawson is a freak watching party. The chair is a 2014 show about two filmmakers who each make a film using the same script and make their own changes to it and stuff

Shane Dawson’s first test shot for his film is a green screened driving shot and it looked like absolute crap. He did it because it’s easy and he’s used to it on his YouTube channel

I saw the final clip. Looks bad.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Professor Shark posted:

Isn’t that what got Shia Labeouf in poo poo?

Fairly certain it was the abuse and general behavior.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Yeah, people were coming around on Shia LeBouf when he was self-depreciating but not so much when it turned out he was an actual psycho.

CelticPredator posted:

"THE COMEDY GENRE IS BASICALLY DEAD. MORE COMEDY FILMS"

*fart*

Making comedies with actual jokes in them is lost technology to Hollywood.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Feldegast42 posted:

This looks like the cover of some whining about trans and cancel culture right wing propaganda film

My first thought was that it was a Drop Dead Fred amd the childhood imaginary friend coming back was John Cena in a schoolgirl outfit, due to the best friend they never had tagline

It's neither, looks very boring

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXpBN_31-Cw

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

:chloe:

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

This looks like a film from an alternate timeline where the mid 2000s never ended.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This looks like one of those mid to late 2000s straight to DVD comedies like the multiple sequels to American Pie that just had Eugene Levy show up for 5 minutes but the other cast wasn’t there

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

AceOfFlames posted:

This looks like a film from an alternate timeline where the mid 2000s never ended.

Dear god, is that timeline somehow even worse than ours?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

I’m watching the chair now because I’m on a weird Shane Dawson is a freak watching party. The chair is a 2014 show about two filmmakers who each make a film using the same script and make their own changes to it and stuff

Shane Dawson’s first test shot for his film is a green screened driving shot and it looked like absolute crap. He did it because it’s easy and he’s used to it on his YouTube channel

I saw the final clip. Looks bad.

That's the one where Zachary Quinto is financing Dawson's film for some reason, yeah?

Watching Quinto slowly get more and more frustrated over the course of the season was very funny.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Open Source Idiom posted:

That's the one where Zachary Quinto is financing Dawson's film for some reason, yeah?

Watching Quinto slowly get more and more frustrated over the course of the season was very funny.

Yeah but they did it for the cool show idea. I don’t think he picked Shane out tbh. That was on Chris moore.

But the reaction to him post watching the film was incredible

I wish I had a clip of it isolated.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

The Peccadillo posted:

My first thought was that it was a Drop Dead Fred amd the childhood imaginary friend coming back was John Cena in a schoolgirl outfit, due to the best friend they never had tagline

This movie is going to be watched and referenced by every person aged 13-22

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It will not be watched

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

John Cena is turning into Troy McClure

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

It will not be watched

By goons because they are old. I agree.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Mr Hootington posted:

By goons because they are old. I agree.

I don't think kids are going to be super into a movie about husbands using a made-up friend to justify being away from their wives.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I don't think kids are going to be super into a movie about husbands using a made-up friend to justify being away from their wives.

After Ricky Stanicky is the all time box office champ, people are going to referencing this post for decades like the negative reviews for Star Wars from 1977.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

After Ricky Stanicky is the all time box office champ, people are going to referencing this post for decades like the negative reviews for Star Wars from 1977.

It is being released onto Amazon prime, not theaters. Doubt it will be a box office champ.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Mr Hootington posted:

It is being released onto Amazon prime, not theaters. Doubt it will be a box office champ.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

feedmyleg posted:

...people are going to referencing this post for decades like the negative reviews for Star Wars from 1977.

Alec Guinness was writing movie reviews in the 70's?

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Amazon prime gets another couple hundred million subscriptions just so the teeming masses can see more Ricky Stanicky

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

That's right. It will be a massive success. No more billion dollar adaptations. Just $10 million slop comedies

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ricky Stanicky saved cinema

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Ricky Stanicky saved cinema

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Two in the Ricky, one in the Stanky

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Ranky Stanky

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

My baby does the Ricky Stanicky

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Ricky in the streets, Stanicky in the sheets.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

This stuff is less predictable than you think. The first Austin Powers movie is extremely aimed at boomers, but teenagers loved it (the sequels adjusted accordingly) and Fight Club was very much about being in your late twenties-early thirties and became every 13 year old's favourite film.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I can't lie, William H Macy's lines made me laugh a little.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Feldegast42 posted:

Amazon prime gets another couple hundred million subscriptions just so the teeming masses can see more Ricky Stanicky

I think that's all for the horny demon show right now.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Snowman_McK posted:

Ricky in the streets, Stanicky in the sheets.

This stuff is less predictable than you think. The first Austin Powers movie is extremely aimed at boomers, but teenagers loved it (the sequels adjusted accordingly) and Fight Club was very much about being in your late twenties-early thirties and became every 13 year old's favourite film.

Christopher Nolan loves Talladega Nights. Who the gently caress knows what people are gonna click with.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

The Peccadillo posted:

I mean, while this definitely looks bad, it's amazing how bad that poster is, good lord, my imagination had it significantly worse.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

dr_rat posted:

Dear god, is that timeline somehow even worse than ours?

President Fred Durst

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Professor Shark posted:

John Cena is turning into Troy McClure

does he, you know, sleep with the fishes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

well why not posted:

Christopher Nolan loves Talladega Nights. Who the gently caress knows what people are gonna click with.

Talladega Nights rules so that completely checks out.