Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Plantation Original Dark or the Hamilton Zombie Blend if you want to get everyone shithouseed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

AlternateNu posted:

I need a good mid-level mixable dark rum.

I'm a whiskey guy and know poo poo about rum, but I plan on making a grog bowl for a party next weekend. 1:2:4 - lime juice:dark rum:water w/ sugar syrup + bitters for taste.

Any recs?

Anything from Plantation will do you, all their products are good and fairly cheap. The 5 year is a great straightforward rum and $25 a bottle here. Xaymaca is good, the pineapple is good (it's not super pineappley, just a hint).

E: Oh original dark is even cheaper. Haven't tried it but I'm sure it's good.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Bacardi 8 should be easy to find.
If you can get Hamilton Demerara 86, that's nice, too and is quite different from Bac8.
Is there a particular drink you wanted to use it for?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Yeah to make things really complicated the truth is that the color of a rum means nearly nothing and is typically the result of added coloring. Even very good rums often do this so that doesn't mean that a dark or black rum is necessarily bad. Style and location of the producer is the important thing. If you just want a good rum for cocktails then Plantation 3 Star or Plantation Original Dark are great for the price. Hamilton 86 is also great, Bacardi 8 also good and can be found just about everywhere. If you want a rum with a lot of interesting flavor then Smith & Cross or Hamilton Jamaican Black are great choices but they might be a little overpowering in some applications.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Hamilton 86 is excellent, and so are Plantation 3 Star and 5-year, but I think as a general "what's a good all-around dark rum" the Original Dark really can't be beat.

OP: in terms of rums, where it's from can have a major effect on how it tastes - the Original Dark is a blend of Jamaican and Barbados which are both excellent on their own, and blend together really well. A lot of people will blend their own rums differently for each cocktail, so a tried-and-true blend like the Dark is a good way to start, and also to please the most amount of people who will be drinking your cocktails.

e: 86 is from Guyana and honestly is amazing though too

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jan 29, 2024

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
Plantation 3-Star is maybe the most ludicrously good deal in all the spirit realm. You can buy a full liter for $20.00 and there simply doesn't exist another white rum with that ratio of quality to price.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The Dark is cheap as hell too ($22.99/1L by me?). They honestly are probably my favorite rum brand overall, the combination of price, quality and versatility can't be beat

e: i don't mean to keep harping on them like I'm a paid rep, but between the 3 staples they really were a fantastic intro to rum for me

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jan 29, 2024

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I 100% agree, it's not just you. Everything they make is good and it's all surprisingly cheap. Best bang for your buck of any spirits brand I've ever tried.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Strange Matter posted:

Plantation 3-Star is maybe the most ludicrously good deal in all the spirit realm. You can buy a full liter for $20.00 and there simply doesn't exist another white rum with that ratio of quality to price.

So the two alternatives that come to mind are both Jamaican overproofs - Wray and Nephew Overproof White and Hampden Rum Fire can be found for $20-$25, both a whopping 63% abv. The Rum Fire has a nice dose of Jamaican funk too.

They also recently started selling Transcontinental Rum High Seas, a 45% abv blend of an unaged Jamaican, lightly aged Panama, and an unaged Martinique sugarcane rum for about $30 that works great for cocktails that call for a blend of different rums. It’s pretty good.

Can you tell I really like Jamaican rums? I think 3-Star has some Jamaican rum blended into it too.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jan 29, 2024

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
The 3-Star blend is Jamaica, Trinidad and Barbados, yes.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I'm a bit fan of Pussers.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The Plantation Pineapple one is pretty good, too.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Also recommending Pusser's from my prematurely old rear end. Especially the Gunpowder proof if available.

Cruzan Blackstrap is easy to find here. But I can't find loving plain Blue Chair Bay white. Just the flavored versions.

In other completely unrelated news, I highly suggest trying Hemosu soju if you can find it. It's got a strange pine flavor in addition to the sweeter rice notes one expects from soju. I found it works as an interesting substitute for vodka, particularly in mules. You may want to reduce the syrup or other sweeteners a bit.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Pussers is delicious but the company sucks.

Plantation is my go to dark rum. I even sip it neat.

Appleton estate is also a good standard dark rum, lots of funk and good brown sugar.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Plantation 5-year was a revelation when I first had it, I'm ashamed to say it was possibly less than a year ago. I thought I was pretty well-acquainted with rum but it basically singlehandedly convinced me to keep rum on the shelf more often. And I love that it's cheap enough that I don't feel bad about using it for batches of buttered rum or eggnog.

Speaking of buttered rum, I still have some of the HTD fat-washed rum that I made for the holidays and I've been looking for creative ways to use it. I put it in a shot glass with some good natural limoncello and honestly I think it could be a thing. Lemon butter daiquiri?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It's a bit...different...but Koloa Dark is great. It's different in that it has vanilla in it. I mean, it almost smells like vanilla extract. But it's real nice.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Hamilton West Indies 1670 is a wonderful, cheap, versatile (standard proof) dark rum. Great in any recipe calling for Dark Demerara, Dark Jamacian, or "Dark Pot Still", and perfect if you like a medium level of esters/funk.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
I’ll go to bat for Diplomático Ańejo too, if you can’t find any of the other stuff

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Sir Lemming posted:

Plantation 5-year was a revelation when I first had it, I'm ashamed to say it was possibly less than a year ago. I thought I was pretty well-acquainted with rum but it basically singlehandedly convinced me to keep rum on the shelf more often. And I love that it's cheap enough that I don't feel bad about using it for batches of buttered rum or eggnog.

Speaking of buttered rum, I still have some of the HTD fat-washed rum that I made for the holidays and I've been looking for creative ways to use it. I put it in a shot glass with some good natural limoncello and honestly I think it could be a thing. Lemon butter daiquiri?

So, my local place has 5 year, but no Original Dark. Would that be a decent base for a grog bowl, or should I still go with Original Dark?

I can also just look at the dozen liquor stores around my office, too.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Scythe posted:

If it's available in your local stores, armagnac is often more distinctive and fun. Marie Duffau is the biggest seller in the US and their Napoléon is maybe the best value in brandy (that I can think off of the top of my head anyway).

Thank you for this recommendation, I had no idea you could easily (and cheaply) buy such a beautiful armagnac in the US

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

I think this one is pretty great if you love bitter drinks:

1.5 ounce Rye
1 ounce Malört
1 ounce Benedictine
2 dash Xocolatl mole bitters

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Hoo, that's a whole class of bitter. I'm gonna have to try that.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Enjoying a Nuclear Daiquiri

1 oz Wray & Nephew
3/4 oz Green Chartreuse
1 oz lime
1/4 oz Falernum

Surprisingly tasty and complex for being rocket fuel.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

TengenNewsEditor posted:

1.5 ounce Rye
1 ounce Malört
1 ounce Benedictine

Well I have to get through my bottle of Malort somehow…

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Either you want to have the bottle on your shelf to pull out for an occasion, or you want it gone. No points for "getting through" something interesting

imo

Carillon
May 9, 2014

TengenNewsEditor posted:

1.5 ounce Rye
1 ounce Malört
1 ounce Benedictine

What a cool cocktail! I think I might appreciate it with some vermouth as well, specifically cocchi, to add to the chocolatly notes.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Carillon posted:

What a cool cocktail! I think I might appreciate it with some vermouth as well, specifically cocchi, to add to the chocolatly notes.

I had a neat one the other day that I found in Mixel.

2 Cups of Blood

3/4 oz Xocolatl Mole Bitters (yes that's right)
3/4 oz Suze
3/4 oz Punt E Mes
3/4 oz Mezcal joven
1 tsp Agave syrup
2 dash Regans' Orange Bitters
Stir with ice and strain into a coup. Express oils from a grapefruit peel over the drink and discard.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Either you want to have the bottle on your shelf to pull out for an occasion, or you want it gone. No points for "getting through" something interesting

imo

Yeah, Malört has gotten itself a reputation because young people don't appreciate dry/bitter flavors as much, typically. And that allowed it to gain meme status, especially outside of Chicagoland.

I enjoy it as much as fernet and Cynar (though Cynar is in a class of delicious on its own).

I also have a bottle of barrel aged, so I can try it in that cocktail.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Malort disappointed me. I don't like it and it also wasn't bad enough to be fun.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

Malort disappointed me. I don't like it and it also wasn't bad enough to be fun.

I can see that. Especially with the hype around it.

My reaction was more "that's actually not that bad, I kinda like it". Definitely didn't live up to the craziness, but maybe I was already trending more bitter by the time I got to it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

AlexDeGruven posted:

I can see that. Especially with the hype around it.

My reaction was more "that's actually not that bad, I kinda like it". Definitely didn't live up to the craziness, but maybe I was already trending more bitter by the time I got to it.

The hype's the problem. That and I've had a lot of disgusting drinks, after North Korean cognac you really gotta bring it to impress me. The place I tried it had a couple good Malort cocktails, at least.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
It's got a gross sounding name.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Malort isn't very hard to drink and it's not great by itself. It's useful in cocktails though - the bracing bitterness comes through and you can lean on your other ingredients for complexity.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
When you guys make White Russians with something significantly less sweet than Kahlua, St George Nola coffee liqueur in my case, do you add a little simple or something to give it that classic White Russian taste? Or maybe some demerara cinnamon syrup?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I would, yeah.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Yeah, one reason I use St. George or Mr. Black is because it lets you adjust the sugar level to your liking rather than being locked into the Kalhua sweetness. I definitely will add syrup though as needed.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

had an absolutely amazing Paper Plane riff tonight called a Yellow Ruby. Menu listed the ingredients as bourbon, fernet, genepy, grapefruit, lemon, and I really want to try and figure out the ratios to make myself.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Sounds nice! I might try:

1.5 bourbon
0.5 fernet
1 genepy
0.5 grapefruit
0.5 lemon

That looks kind of dry though. I suspect they might sneak a little simple syrup in there, and I bet you'd end up wanting to do the same.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyEc8sIqQ6s

Good stuff for tiki fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Did a sour with 2 oz anejo tequila, .75 lemon, .5 2:1 tamarind syrup. Egg white and drops of angostura on the foam. Good poo poo.