Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

A big problem with Dying Light is how early on you're told to burn medicine needed by everyone. For some reason you actually do it instead of just telling them you did. They have no way to actually check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Zero Dawn is one of the few games I just put it on easy mode BC the combat sucks but the rest of the game is worth it so I didn't want to bail entirely

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

muscles like this! posted:

A big problem with Dying Light is how early on you're told to burn medicine needed by everyone. For some reason you actually do it instead of just telling them you did. They have no way to actually check.

It's even dumber because you've been bitten by that point, so you need the medicine as much as anyone else, but instead of stashing it somewhere you can get it later you grab a couple doses and burn the rest.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Dying Light is really fun to play but has some real dogshit writing. In the sequel, there's even more writing and it's even worse.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

JackSplater posted:

It's even dumber because you've been bitten by that point, so you need the medicine as much as anyone else, but instead of stashing it somewhere you can get it later you grab a couple doses and burn the rest.

I don’t know why burning big vials of medicine is so goofy to me but whenever O saw him stuff the bug medical crate into the tiny barrel fire I just thought “surely there’s a better way to do this”.

Dying Light 2 is one of the few games I’ve had to stop playing because the writing was just so absurdly awful. Just nonsensical asinine nothing.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

CJacobs posted:

Let it Die is a Suda51 game, so it has an incredible amount of polish to its controls with some pinhole-sized blind spots that drag the whole thing down. When you're locked on, you can only roll in the cardinal directions, so if you try to dodge sideways and are moving diagonally......

Hey, if it's good enough for Dark Souls 1... :v:

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Extended narrative in video games was a mistake.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Zero Dawn is one of the few games I just put it on easy mode BC the combat sucks but the rest of the game is worth it so I didn't want to bail entirely

I found the combat really satisfying. You want a slog, try Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora. Gorgeous graphics, but clunky combat interspersed with role playing the genocide of everyone you loved.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
NieR:Automata has some fuckin terrible quest directions.

A village is under attack, they've told me to get to the village. Well, I'm there but someone has put a block in front of the entrance and even though 2B is perfectly capable of jumping over the wall, flying over the wall, blowing through the wall, or even WALKING IN BETWEEN THE BARS THAT MAKE UP THE WALL, well, there's a big block in the way so can't go that way. So I go the long way around. The loooooooong way around. And whoops there's... another tiny block here. A block that looks like it weighs about twenty pounds. But it's impenetrable. 2B can destroy robots the size of cities but a twenty pound block might as well be a mental block, because she can't get there. I look in my list of quests. The main quest isn't even loving listed in the quest list. I don't even really have a quest, just a kind of goal: get to the village. So I wander around, circling the village, for a long loving time. I just can't figure it out. It's not uncommon for this game to give you a "goal" only to like interrupt it halfway with some other stuff. But that doesn't seem to be happening.

So I finally just look it up. Oh, I'm supposed to hang around outside the entrance to the village and "kill some robots for a while." Not ALL of the robots. And these robots don't look any fuckin different than the billions of robots wandering around all over the rest of the level. But if you want to trigger the thing that opens this tiny little pathetic block, then you need to "kill some robots for a while" until a cutscene causes a snake to open the IMPOSSIBLE TO GET THROUGH WALL. gently caress you, video game. Who the gently caress signed off on this?! This is objectively lovely design, even if Yoko Taro is trying to make some kind of statement or something with jank.

This is particularly upsetting because this is one of those instances where, if I were just playing the game, if I had no access to walkthrus or outside help, I would never have solved it. Yeah, one might conclude that hanging around the quest destination and just destroying everything in that area (which looks identical to all the things in that area that I previously destroyed when I did not have a quest here) could progress the quest, but my mind hadn't gone there, and I don't know if it would have. I would have just played this dumb game forever, just fishing and killing robots and wondering why 2B cannot move a block WHICH BY THE WAY earlier in the game she could move just loving fine.

update: turns out a bug just prevented a really obvious target from spawning. Reloading made it real obvious what I was supposed to do :shrug:

credburn has a new favorite as of 11:51 on Jan 27, 2024

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

John Murdoch posted:

Hey, if it's good enough for Dark Souls 1... :v:

It is actually genuinely kind of nice to have a Suda51 Soulslike including all of the control scheme jank. It feels like I'm home again when I open the wrong loving inventory tab for the 50th time and have to hit LB/RB to tab over to the one which lets me equip stuff instead of reading its lore/stats.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Me sowing when Vampire Survivors updates on Switch: Haha, yes this rules!

Me reaping when Vampire Survivors crashes twice 26 minutes into a run: This sucks, what the gently caress

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Same. The first few fights against a given enemy type is fun and good as you're going all out with traps and bombs and whatnot, but it did get old for me really fast.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Loving Baldur's Gate 3 so far, but I hate when I'm fighting a large group and I just have to sit there for five minutes every time it's their turn.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

grittyreboot posted:

Loving Baldur's Gate 3 so far, but I hate when I'm fighting a large group and I just have to sit there for five minutes every time it's their turn.

The worst for this was Fallout 2. The den had a bunch of neutral NPCs who were all withdrawing jet junkies and would move at the speed of smell whenever their turn came up.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

grittyreboot posted:

Even worse if any of your party goes invisible and an enemy can't figure out what to do so it spends its turn doing the John Travolta meme.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The worst for this was Fallout 2. The den had a bunch of neutral NPCs who were all withdrawing jet junkies and would move at the speed of smell whenever their turn came up.

The boneyard in 1 had about 50 enemies all spread out,aforementioned junkies with knives who would slooowly gang up on the other bad guys and chip away doing one damage over the course of 15 hours,or just not do anything but still have to be counted.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

Silent Storm, especially the allied campaign, hell's bells. Your friendly British soldiers do this crouched crab-walk 3 minutes per turn. And you get to enjoy world's worst voice acting when they're doing it.

But I love that game.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

When that happened I quit and never played it again.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

The difficulty cure is a sine wave of enjoyment, early combat sucks, mid game gets fun as hell with moderate difficultly using a variety of elemental weapons, and then late game is just tedious blasting everything into oblivion because fighting takes so goddamn long and every fight more then 30 seconds will probably aggro nearby enemies.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Lobok posted:

Even worse if any of your party goes invisible and an enemy can't figure out what to do so it spends its turn doing the John Travolta meme.

I think the issues with enemy turn time are overstated except when it does this. Without even having any invisible characters it's pretty common for an enemy to just stall for 10 seconds, sometimes with their turn order icons flickering as if the game is confused. I guess the 10 billion moving parts of the game's sandbox the AI has to consider are too much for it sometimes.

pentyne posted:

The difficulty cure is a sine wave of enjoyment, early combat sucks, mid game gets fun as hell with moderate difficultly using a variety of elemental weapons, and then late game is just tedious blasting everything into oblivion because fighting takes so goddamn long and every fight more then 30 seconds will probably aggro nearby enemies.

I trailed off on HZD around the halfway mark and one reason I didn't vibe with it was every outdoor fight turning into a clusterfuck because every robot within 250m will come join the fun.

Owl Inspector has a new favorite as of 23:38 on Jan 28, 2024

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

They patched it out sadly but there were a few times in Rogue Trader where your primary contact with the Adeptus Mechanicus in the sector was present for a fight, and that dude moved so loving slow that him fleeting the area in a cutscene before a particular fight started took like, almost a Literal God Damned Minute. Just this dude very slowly shuffling off to the side of the room while everyone waited kindly for grandpa to exit the firing area before we started rampaging, it was great.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

The boneyard in 1 had about 50 enemies all spread out,aforementioned junkies with knives who would slooowly gang up on the other bad guys and chip away doing one damage over the course of 15 hours,or just not do anything but still have to be counted.

When Fallout 1 first came out, I still had a Pentium 100 and while most of the game ran ok, the Boneyard was basically a standstill. I don't remember what fight it was, but it was roughly 1-2 minutes per turn per character in the fight.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

CitizenKain posted:

When Fallout 1 first came out, I still had a Pentium 100 and while most of the game ran ok, the Boneyard was basically a standstill. I don't remember what fight it was, but it was roughly 1-2 minutes per turn per character in the fight.

The only bigger fight is in Fallout 2 in New Reno after Marcus tries to hit someone on the other side of town with the chaingun and makes an enemy out of everyone.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Kitfox88 posted:

They patched it out sadly but there were a few times in Rogue Trader where your primary contact with the Adeptus Mechanicus in the sector was present for a fight, and that dude moved so loving slow that him fleeting the area in a cutscene before a particular fight started took like, almost a Literal God Damned Minute. Just this dude very slowly shuffling off to the side of the room while everyone waited kindly for grandpa to exit the firing area before we started rampaging, it was great.

Just imagining a horde of Khorne Bezerkers on the edge of frenzy politely waiting for the old and infirm to clear the area because while they might be blood-crazed maniacal killing machines, they're not loving ANIMALS.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

credburn posted:

The only bigger fight is in Fallout 2 in New Reno after Marcus tries to hit someone on the other side of town with the chaingun and makes an enemy out of everyone.

Funnier when a mafia man shoots at you,misses,hits a civilian who then makes the entire screen go hostile but you get off scot free with a games worth of loot.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
There's a part in Fallout 2 where you can have sex. The game fades to black, and then fades back in with you standing there and the entirety of your inventory on a pile. But because of the way the classic Fallout interface is, that meant that EVERY SINGLE THING had to be picked up individually, and for some reason, some things didn't stack. So if you had x99 condoms in your inventory (because I don't know, I bought 99 condoms because I was 12 and that poo poo made me giggle) you have to click and add all 99 condoms one after the other after the other.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

credburn posted:

There's a part in Fallout 2 where you can have sex. The game fades to black, and then fades back in with you standing there and the entirety of your inventory on a pile. But because of the way the classic Fallout interface is, that meant that EVERY SINGLE THING had to be picked up individually, and for some reason, some things didn't stack. So if you had x99 condoms in your inventory (because I don't know, I bought 99 condoms because I was 12 and that poo poo made me giggle) you have to click and add all 99 condoms one after the other after the other.

I got 99 condoms and I clicked each one

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

PYF Things Dragging Games Down (it's because of a mod I installed)

Ridgeside Village for Stardew Valley, which basically just adds another Pelican Town-sized place to go to, with a similar amount of NPCs, is trying my patience. One of the other mods I have installed will boost your friendship hearts with everybody around instead of just the one person, as well as some bonuses for completing quests (IE: If you help a family member, you get friendship hearts with their relatives). It's useful because it lets you walk into the tavern, press A on each person once, and you get a few days worth of boost to the friendship meter instead of having to track each person down every day.

The problem is that the Ridgeside Village characters are written alright, but there's zero editor involved. For context, base-game Abigail's four-heart event involves finding her playing her flute in pouring rain, chatting with her for a brief moment, and playing a duet with her. You immediately pick up on her general vibe. Ridgeside Village has characters who have entire multi-paragraph-long dialogues with other characters, ask you multiple questions, and sometimes when the scene ends it'll pop up a little thing that says "Do you want to follow them?" which begins a second, lengthy cutscene. So when I'm trying to talk with Penny, Jas, and Vincent while they walk through town so I can grab some extra friendship points, I'm catching extra points with RV characters, who will happily drop three consecutive cutscenes on me the next time I need to go to the village.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Vic posted:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Vic posted:

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

This code is required to unlock a box in Silent Hill 2.

Before you highlight the spoiler on what it actually is, please try and guess for yourself.

It reads 7743

Entering 2943 and being unable to figure out what I was doing wrong cost me half an hour of my precious life.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Wanna know the best part? It's randomized per playthrough so you can't sequence break. Yours is probably the hardest one I have seen lmao

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

CJacobs posted:

Yours is probably the hardest one I have seen lmao

Truly, a cursed town.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Like a captcha

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Philippe posted:

Like a captcha

Please verify that you are not a bot

Select all images with
symbolic physical manifestations of your subconscious terrors

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I'm gonna injure a human, or through inaction allow a human to come to harm.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Philippe posted:

I'm gonna injure a human, or through inaction allow a human to come to harm.

If you do both pretty sure it becomes a double negative situation and it just goes back to proving your a bot again.

So yeah just chose one or the other.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

CJacobs posted:

Wanna know the best part? It's randomized per playthrough so you can't sequence break. Yours is probably the hardest one I have seen lmao

2421(or 7, or 9)

1622. It isn't that bad guys

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Meowywitch posted:

2421(or 7, or 9)

1622. It isn't that bad guys

Those two were just 'see? it's randomized' the first one was the really bad one. It's a dumb mechanic that makes it hard to even look up to solution if you're stuck. I don't see anything materially gained, but also I'm not gonna fault a late 90's/early 2000's game for having bad puzzles, because it was a genre norm back then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Coolness Averted posted:

Those two were just 'see? it's randomized' the first one was the really bad one. It's a dumb mechanic that makes it hard to even look up to solution if you're stuck. I don't see anything materially gained, but also I'm not gonna fault a late 90's/early 2000's game for having bad puzzles, because it was a genre norm back then.

At least it’s not the book puzzle in Silent Hill 3. On easier puzzle difficulties it just needs you to shelve the books in the right order to read a code off them. On the hardest difficulty it requires a thorough knowledge of the works of Shakespeare.