Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

gradenko_2000 posted:

it's so beautiful...

Looking forward to your AAR...?

I've been meaning to pick up Budapest 45, so seeing this, very tempting. Still hoping they make more Panzer Battles too.

I heard they might be working on a Philippines 42, but I don't know how much seeing your hometown overrun (?) would appeal to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Talking about NATO symbols, the GTS series has some interesting design choices in that regard since every side uses their own distinct symbology, so you have stuff like:

German and NATO

Italian and French

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Tekopo posted:

Talking about NATO symbols, the GTS series has some interesting design choices in that regard since every side uses their own distinct symbology, so you have stuff like:

German and NATO

Italian and French

I thought that was a neat idea while reading through your let's play. I'd love to see their attempt at Soviet symbology.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Tekopo posted:

German and NATO

Italian and French

You're a connoisseur! I agree it's very cool. Deep loving cut on your end though lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQ-k2pmLPcc

I've been mulling seeing if I can get work to pay for the $300 Juno Beach game. Is it worthwhile?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

BadOptics posted:

I thought that was a neat idea while reading through your let's play. I'd love to see their attempt at Soviet symbology.
GTS doesn't have any eastern front at the moment, so there aren't any soviets unit in the entire series.

Frosted Flake posted:

I've been mulling seeing if I can get work to pay for the $300 Juno Beach game. Is it worthwhile?
I haven't tried the GTS Juno/Gold/Sword game but I've heard good things about it, there's a goon in the Trad Games wargames thread that did a mini-AAR for it tho.

I've tried BCS Baptism by Fire once, it was interesting and the system played well but I think that Kasserine wasn't that interesting to me purely in terms of the battle itself. GTS has some really interesting/unusual battles like Crete, Market-Garden, D-Day invasions etc.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Tekopo posted:

imagine Das Boot but all the outside scenes are CGI instead

also i just remembered about the film u571 and now ive forced you to remember as well

Isn't that film set in like early 1941? I remember when it came out and people were outraged that it depicted a mission carried out before the US entered the war.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

It's set to 1942 and the plot is americans capturing the first naval enigma machine

the first naval enigma machine and codes were captured by the british in may 1941

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Tekopo posted:

the first naval enigma machine and codes were captured by the british in may 1941

By the who? I don't remember those guys from history class, what theater were they in?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Benagain posted:

By the who? I don't remember those guys from history class, what theater were they in?
i'm pretty sure they were a small american expeditionary force, fought near europe before the Winners of WWII joined the fight proper

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Tekopo posted:

German and NATO

Italian and French

*squinting*

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

oh yes I see it

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Picked up Dominions 6 and boy is it immediately apparent I'm gonna need to RTFM. A lot of cool nations/factions to choose from though. I also like how they change based on the era you choose.

BadOptics has issued a correction as of 05:04 on Jan 29, 2024

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

BadOptics posted:

boy is it immediately apparent I'm gonna need to RTFM

having a second monitor and Steam giving you one-click game manual access is ushering in a whole new era of manualmaxxing.

BearsBearsBears
Aug 4, 2022

BadOptics posted:

Picked up Dominions 6 and boy is it immediately apparent I'm gonna need to RTFM. A lot of cool nations/factions to choose from though. I also like how they change based on the era you choose.

Play Niefelheim (EA era), get a regen bless (from nature), win.

Niefelheim can do some fancy things but you won't need to learn them to win against the AI.

Edit:

BearsBearsBears has issued a correction as of 05:34 on Jan 29, 2024

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I know I'm almost certainly in the minority here, but I hate military symbols and I never seem to be able to remember what they mean.

I really liked how in the Wargame series you could either use NATO symbols, or for losers like me you could change them so, for example, that the icon for tank was a little tank.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I hate them too. I'm playing a video game, I want graphics not little squares and x's.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Endman posted:

I know I'm almost certainly in the minority here, but I hate military symbols and I never seem to be able to remember what they mean.

I really liked how in the Wargame series you could either use NATO symbols, or for losers like me you could change them so, for example, that the icon for tank was a little tank.

Mantis42 posted:

I hate them too. I'm playing a video game, I want graphics not little squares and x's.

When is Jeff going to add downvotes?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I like the soviet symbols in Graviteam but miss me with that nato poo poo

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

the nato infantry symbol looks good but its only downhill from there

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Frosted Flake posted:

When is Jeff going to add downvotes?

Real life generals should use painted miniatures rather than symbol counters on their maps.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

stupid loving STUG drove right up to my boys in St Mere Eglise, so I let em have it with the bazooka

[the achievement is called "Tiger Eliminated", and is awarded when you destroy an armor unit that is NOT a Tiger. Bit of a joke there]

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
that just makes me want to play close combat

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Orange Devil posted:

Real life generals should use painted miniatures rather than symbol counters on their maps.

:hmmyes:

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Regarde Aduck posted:

that just makes me want to play close combat

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
I'm forever sad that I've never played a CC2 multiplayer campaign. I've only played CC3, CC5 and the CC2, CC3 and CC5 remakes and mods for CC3 and CC5 and their remakes. It was fun, but the original CC2 campaign is by far the best campaign gameplay in the series.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Sailing down the Celduin river as Dale is really fun. It acts as a force multiplier because you can quickly transfer forces between the east and west banks and garrison expensive units in forts after the campaigning seasons are done. Really fun regional power shenanigans.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

would love a cc game where I can play the battle of shanghai

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Orange Devil posted:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

omg this is unironically cool

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

gradenko_2000 posted:

omg this is unironically cool

Yeah where can I buy one of those?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

My father used to have a number of these for several militaries, including I'm almost certain precisely the darker orange version on the bottom. I think I accidentally broke that one when I was a kid.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

And that's why you're not in the will!

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

Yeah where can I buy one of those?

Amazon seem to have some including the orange models in the pictures.

https://www.amazon.ca/Traceease-Dra...C70&sr=8-3&th=1

https://www.amazon.ca/Standard-Temp...aps%2C70&sr=8-2

Search "NATO symbol stencil" for more models.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

AnimeIsTrash posted:

would love a cc game where I can play the battle of shanghai

I would love a CC game with a working ai

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Isn't there exactly this game? Rise of the White Sun??

mystic pimp
Jul 25, 2014

Formerly-rampant human-coded AI with a sense of humor seeks bipedal oxygen-breathing cyborg for serious relationship in the galactic core. I've got cool guns if you like to break stuff. No yuppies.
rise of the white sun isn't really a tactical game though that guys games are extremely funny, his game where you play j. edgar hoover and have to allocate FBI manpower to discover which commie cell put dog poo poo in front of your office door is amazing

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
As a sidenote, the manual for Dominions 6 is freely available to everyone:

https://www.illwinter.com/dom6/dom6manual.pdf

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA-1JCRguZ0

in parallel with the B-17 news, the long-delayed "Masters of the Air" TV series, based on the fantastic book by Donald L. Miller of the same name (I'd read it, shoot, nearly a decade ago) is finally releasing this weekend. It's set in the same cinematic universe as Band of Brothers and The Pacific.

Didn't realize pop world war 2 history was a cinematic universe

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Slavvy posted:

I would love a CC game with a working ai

the more complex the game, the worse the AI is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

KomradeX posted:

Didn't realize pop world war 2 history was a cinematic universe

The newest ww2 eu retcons are just the worst imo. They're just celebrating the local yaroslav jewslayers.