Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Chairman Capone posted:

Who has a college test on December 23?

thats not that uncommon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I forgot about the phone being found last week. That’s on me.

Closed captioning confirms that Danvers’ refrigerator is playing “a distorted version of The Beatles’ ‘Twist and Shout,’” which I was not able to hear in the soundtrack even after reading the CC text. It just sounded like a generic spooky soundtrack hiss.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

This feels like a teen YA show with the music cuts every 2 minutes and melodrama and lack of any real cohesion. It's like the show is afraid to build any tension, it's all blam blam blam.

Season 1 is a very high bar but it's incredible at this. Everything is given room to breathe and when stuff happens, stuff happens.

The tracking shot gets a lot of rightful praise but the entire sequence leading up to it, Rust going in and Marty being a loving dumbass and watching the boat leave, is just as good.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
A detective murder mystery show where you can’t trust anything you’re seeing on screen is an interesting choice.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

fullroundaction posted:

A detective murder mystery show where you can’t trust anything you’re seeing on screen is an interesting choice.

It's very commonly used. It's also happened multiple times this season already and yes they clearly want you to be unsure as to the nature of reality. It's already been laid out as one of the themes of the season.

Isolated at the end of the world in endless night. Is reality really unraveling here or is it a case of the environment they're in? So this trick is to make the audience just as unsure as the characters.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Codependent Poster posted:

It's very commonly used. It's also happened multiple times this season already and yes they clearly want you to be unsure as to the nature of reality. It's already been laid out as one of the themes of the season.

Isolated at the end of the world in endless night. Is reality really unraveling here or is it a case of the environment they're in? So this trick is to make the audience just as unsure as the characters.

But it’s not unsure in an interesting way it’s unsure because no one acts like a human and seems like they were written by ai.

pig labeled 3
Jan 3, 2007

fullroundaction posted:

But who threw orange

Why did she throw the orange

Why did the cops have oranges

How do you peel an orange with winter gloves on

Wouldn't apples have made more sense

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

pig labeled 3 posted:

Why did the cops have oranges

Lots of Vitamin C and D in months of long nights.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jan 29, 2024

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

It's like a bad b-movie at this point, isn't it.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
That was corny as gently caress lol

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
If anything, the development felt hamhanded to me, a step shy of Maggie in the doorway explaining for the sake of the audience that she hosed Rust because that was the one thing Marty'd find unforgivable.

This episode explicitly gave us Navarro's disconnect from her heritage, giving weight to her relationship dynamics with Qavvik (and others, based on the bit about her sexuality) and going a long way to explaining why she is so passionate about the missing/murdered womens' cases and why Anne in particular felt so personal to her. Also why she returned to Alaska in the first place. It explained a good amount of Danvers treatment of her stepdaughter, which also shed some light on how she went from married to Leah's father to her seemingly deep antipathy to the Iñupiat, despite her draw to still be a part of that community. "Stuck between two worlds, part of neither" feels a bit on the nose given the nature of the supernatural elements thus far, but:shrug: The episode did a lot to explain why the detectives are the way they are - and did so in a way that'd give either detective credible motivation for shooting the wifebeater and each credible reasoning for separating despite what were clearly close ties.

Lampsacus posted:

López hasn't been particularly shy about her influences - many of which do lean towards b-movie. But then, at this point is the operative bit.

Scrotum Modem posted:

only 3 episodes left eh
I'm... curious... how she's going to land the plane at this point. She's leaning awfully hard on the bait to pull the same switch S1 did, but we're cutting it close for a satisfyingly supernatural explanation of the "how" and "why", and even the incompetents at HBO/MAX/WBD have to know that pretty much nobody online or on social media is giving the benefit of the doubt to a nuanced/ambiguous ending from the woman taking over TD with two women detectives and the pop star for the opening credits.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Lampsacus posted:

thats every season

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Season 2 is a b-movie. It’s almost camp a lot of the time, though I don’t know if that makes it a bad b-movie.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Hey speaking of season 2, do Rachel McAdams’ father and sister have to stay in hiding forever, or does everyone who learned the name she went to the orgy under get killed? I was trying to pay attention after the old diamond thief guy gets killed, but I don’t think that’s the case. Sucks that Taylor Kitsch’s wife and kid have to put up with his insane mother forever too, but at least they can return home.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

i mean, its all just words. i feel s2 is good b movie.
'its a bad b movie now' is just what i said involuntarily out loud to myself when th episode ended lol

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I think had this been a stand alone tv show it would have been received much differently. It's fine. It would be one of those "people obsess over it online for a week" if it had been a netflix show called night country.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Forget it Navarro, it's Night Country

my bony fealty posted:

This feels like a teen YA show with the music cuts every 2 minutes

I was wondering if the other seasons had as much music as this one. Maybe they did but it was just less obtrusive and/or less likely to be something you'd recognize. In SE01 it often sounds like an OST even when maybe some of it isn't original it just fits the shot very well.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Paracaidas posted:

If anything, the development felt hamhanded to me, a step shy of Maggie in the doorway explaining for the sake of the audience that she hosed Rust because that was the one thing Marty'd find unforgivable.

This episode explicitly gave us Navarro's disconnect from her heritage, giving weight to her relationship dynamics with Qavvik (and others, based on the bit about her sexuality) and going a long way to explaining why she is so passionate about the missing/murdered womens' cases and why Anne in particular felt so personal to her. Also why she returned to Alaska in the first place. It explained a good amount of Danvers treatment of her stepdaughter, which also shed some light on how she went from married to Leah's father to her seemingly deep antipathy to the Iñupiat, despite her draw to still be a part of that community. "Stuck between two worlds, part of neither" feels a bit on the nose given the nature of the supernatural elements thus far, but:shrug: The episode did a lot to explain why the detectives are the way they are - and did so in a way that'd give either detective credible motivation for shooting the wifebeater and each credible reasoning for separating despite what were clearly close ties.

López hasn't been particularly shy about her influences - many of which do lean towards b-movie. But then, at this point is the operative bit.

I'm... curious... how she's going to land the plane at this point. She's leaning awfully hard on the bait to pull the same switch S1 did, but we're cutting it close for a satisfyingly supernatural explanation of the "how" and "why", and even the incompetents at HBO/MAX/WBD have to know that pretty much nobody online or on social media is giving the benefit of the doubt to a nuanced/ambiguous ending from the woman taking over TD with two women detectives and the pop star for the opening credits.

You have all these words about what happened in this episode, but I have it on good authority (posters in this thread) that nothing happened in this episode, actually? Gonna be tough to figure out the truth here, might need some sort of… True Detective

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I'm on episode 4 of my season 2 rewatch. I literally have no idea why people hated this. It's like a graphic novel, in a good way

S4 is... uh... The atmosphere is nice and all, but I, like, don't understand the causality or flow of anything

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I had to turn this off and decided to check out Monsieur Spade and that was the right choice.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Slightly confused by what exactly people are hating about this. I'd say this just seems like a forgettable police procedural so far, so I'd understand anyone indifferent dropping it, but that was season 3 too. Quality change doesn't seem particularly noticeable to me when we're not talking about season 1. :shrug:

A mid show does seem like a waste of a good cast/setting, which is slightly frustrating. And I find the hallucination and/or paranormal stuff pretty boring. But every season of TD has always had a foot in tedium.

Anyway, what's the reading on why Jodie Foster is SO MAD about her daughter having the indigenous chin stripes? Might have forgotten something obvious, but not sure what to take from it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

VagueRant posted:

Anyway, what's the reading on why Jodie Foster is SO MAD about her daughter having the indigenous chin stripes? Might have forgotten something obvious, but not sure what to take from it.

I've not seen the third episode (yet) so while it could just be pure racism, she could also have (the still somewhat racist) notion that the tattoos make her daughter more of a potential target for abuse and victimization. That seems consistent with how the character seems to think.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

At this frame in the final scene, Danvers takes a moment to assess the situation in front of her:

It is in this moment that a synapse sparks in my brain. The way she hits her mark, the way she looks at the situation, the pause she takes, and the choreography of the man coming up behind her. These are all a setup for a oner. In this frame, I become excited.

She rushes in. Cuffs the mans she's looking at. Pulls out another pair and starts yelling at another guy about giving him the cuffs. And then... nothing. Scene over.

I think I hate this show.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jan 29, 2024

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

VagueRant posted:

Open Source Idiom has it right, I think (spoilered given they just said they haven't seen it yet)

The scene starts with her berating her stepdaughter for hanging out at the anti-mine rally ("are you insane? Do you know what happens to those people?") pivots to her getting ragey about the faux chin ink and insisting again that she wipe it off, and ends with the camera lingering on Danvers staring at an Iñupiaq woman's autopsy photo with the chin stripes prominently featured

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Paracaidas posted:

Open Source Idiom has it right, I think (spoilered given they just said they haven't seen it yet)

The scene starts with her berating her stepdaughter for hanging out at the anti-mine rally ("are you insane? Do you know what happens to those people?") pivots to her getting ragey about the faux chin ink and insisting again that she wipe it off, and ends with the camera lingering on Danvers staring at an Iñupiaq woman's autopsy photo with the chin stripes prominently featured
Yeah it's hinted at earlier but then this episode makes it obvious via the spoilers you said.

Edit:
Also when I saw this:

All I could think was "your mother sucks cocks in Hell" so I straight up burst out laughing when he said "your mother says hello" instead.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jan 29, 2024

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I thought that was entertaining and demon scientist made me jump.

Goons seem very determined to not like it though.
"This episode sucks cause they didn't even do any character development"
"Who even has exams at the end of December"
"Why haven't they gone through the locked phone they found last night yet"

Yeah okay guys.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Am I mad that I didn't get a oner when Season 1 had one of the best ones ever filmed and this show is in dire need of redeeming itself to its former glory? Yes.
Am I mad that a spooky scene became comedic instead because the writing invoked a famous comical line from a similar situation? Yes.
Do I actually hate the show? Not really, if it goes somewhere.
Do I think it will go somewhere? I'm not holding my breath because this episode twiddled its thumbs.

Let's place bets, though. Who shot Wheeler? Danvers or Novarro?

Edit: I think it is worth pointing out that Jodie Foster's acting is blowing the rest of the show out of the water.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Jan 30, 2024

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

If it were Danvers, she would have offed Navarro by now

Jodie Foster isn't just going to leave potential witnesses behind

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jan 29, 2024

Poopbutt
Aug 15, 2022

VagueRant posted:

Slightly confused by what exactly people are hating about this.

I would say most people aren't hating it, they just think it isn't very good. Bordering on laughable at times. Personally I'm out, from what I have seen so far I don't have faith that it ends strong.

I mean I hope it ends up being good because then I can just binge it later.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
What this show most reminds me of is Top Of The Lake.

Gonna be massively our of step with the thread here and say: that episode was the best so far and got genuinely spooky. Thought some of it was moving too, particularly the parallel birth / still birth ceremonies. And I've grown to like the characters, Freshman's little jealousy of Navarro, Danvers juet being the worst -- except the Mac And Cheese bit, which was hilarious and sweet and still something she approached with the bull in a china shop trajectory she always does. Navarro's good too. Not a revolutionary character but she's rarely actually wrong about things and that's easy to root for.

Also that unicorn story was gonna end with all the other mean unicorns falling into the ice and drowning wasn't it? Lmfao.

Hoping the show continues this trajectory.

pig labeled 3 posted:

How do you peel an orange with winter gloves on

Use a knife, like the peeled orange in the opening credits.

Bright Bart posted:

If it were Danvers, she would have offed Navarro by now

Jodie Foster isn't just going to leave potential witnesses behind

Did they confirm she did it though? I figured she was actually covering for Navarro.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Open Source Idiom posted:

Did they confirm she did it though? I figured she was actually covering for Navarro.

If she were, that'd be the most interesting part of their dynamic. That they're still at each others' throats.

I found that way cool with Marty and Rustin. You'd think having to keep a secret like that would mean they'd be on tiptoes around each other. But they do fall out. And still keep to the story. Because what's the alternative?

Hart: Rustin covered up a murder in cold blood. (A murder I comitted.) ?

Cole: Marty killed that man in cold blood. Ledoux was unarmed. Oh the three hundred rounds on the ground? Yeah, I sprayed the AK and then put Reggie's handprints on it. ?

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

I think what has made me given up on this show being good is the "I'm on tinder" and "I watch Netflix" scene

I'm a simple country TV watcher but that dialogue seemed so bad lol

Zmej fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Jan 29, 2024

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
night sundry

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Zmej posted:

I think what has made me given up on this show being good is the "I'm on tinder" and "I watch Netflix" scene

I'm a simple country TV watcher but that dialogue seemed so bad lol

I thought this was pretty good? It's the moment in the story where the two demonstrate an actual interest in each other's hidden interior lives, and even though they're jabbing away as usual (aggression's their self-defense mechanism) the questions are coming from a place of genuine interest rather than their typical desire to assert themselves and get their licks in e.g. Navarro's mean joke earlier about Danvers having such a great sexual appetite that she'd try to gently caress her stepson.

It's the moment when I really bought them as being a good team.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

Ok I'm pretty much ready to call this a very bad show. Like what am I even supposed to be invested in at this point? I don't give a poo poo about anyone, all these subplots are so lame and generic and bland and the mystery isn't compelling or interesting at all. I almost fell asleep but the last 5 minutes jolted me back awake but even then the supernatural in a TD show is silly.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Fargo season 3 handled injecting some super natural into your very serious detective show perfectly.

True Dick Season 4 maybe not so much.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

They should just call it a day and re-enact the last three episodes of SE01 but with Jodie Foster and Kali Reis in Alaska. Or just any three episodes of season one. They don't even have to be consecutive. It'd still make more sense.

pig labeled 3
Jan 3, 2007

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Lots of Vitamin C and D in months of long nights.

Oranges don't have Vitamin D

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
No but Fairbanks does :heysexy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Gresh posted:

Ok I'm pretty much ready to call this a very bad show. Like what am I even supposed to be invested in at this point? I don't give a poo poo about anyone, all these subplots are so lame and generic and bland and the mystery isn't compelling or interesting at all. I almost fell asleep but the last 5 minutes jolted me back awake but even then the supernatural in a TD show is silly.

Yeah this is the biggest problem with the show, it's just boring. It's a mishmash of barely-veiled influences with weak True Detective S1 fanservice thrown in and is just...boring? None of the plots work?

I'll keep watching that garbage but expecting it to be totally forgotten by everyone in a few months.