Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

By popular demand posted:

I wanna come back to this amazing game but I'm confused by the multitude of mods, can an agent for the global conspiracy get a recommendation?

malkavian mod, op

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Mmd3hMwivI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Donut
Aug 28, 2008

Zelensky's Zealots
Soiled Meat

By popular demand posted:

I wanna come back to this amazing game but I'm confused by the multitude of mods, can an agent for the global conspiracy get a recommendation?

I had a lot of fun replaying it last year with the Revision mod https://store.steampowered.com/app/397550/Deus_Ex_Revision/ - it was a mixture of familiar and new so it made the game seem fresh

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I still recommend just playing with biomod to get a near-vanilla experience with a handful of shifter QoL tweaks and the rebalanced augs/passive aug system.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I still prefer GMDX over the biomod/shifter setup. Wouldn't recommend it for a first run though, it can be a bit in depth.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I usually use biomod but I used GMDX last playthrough and really liked it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'd recommend Revision. I don't know that it's actually any better, I'd lean towards saying it's not, but it is different and if you're like me and have played the game uh... 15? times then having all the maps remixed is neat.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

GMDX is the best way to play now. But I kind of feel like first time players should suffer through Vanilla DX. It’s still an extremely compelling experience despite the high amounts of jank.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Casimir Radon posted:

GMDX is the best way to play now. But I kind of feel like first time players should suffer through Vanilla DX. It’s still an extremely compelling experience despite the high amounts of jank.

Vanilla also has some stuff, glitched (getting through anything with one lock pick/multiool with the pause screen) or otherwise (laser sight) that the mods usually fix/“fix”, and those can be good for getting a first timer through some of the more difficult stuff.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Use the GEP gun if you have to make a silent takedown. Or pick a lock.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Number one: that's treason.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
I've been playing Stray and I hope the next Deus Ex looks and feel like Dead City, it's amazing. No more piss filter PLEASE.

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017

tripwood posted:

No more piss filter PLEASE.

Mods?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

The only thing that I really miss in shifter or GMDX IMO is how powerful the dragon tooth is against locked things in vanilla. It breaks the game but I think everyone should experience it at least once.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Honestly I cut my teeth on unpatched DX, and so things like "lovely plasma rifle" and "the tooth one-shots everything" still annoy me. The tooth really really should not do 100dmg per swipe, it was perfectly worth the inventory slots at 30dmg and much more importantly gave you a reason to put points in the associated augs&skills.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Revision (the Steam version at least) integrates all the named mods and you can decide which you’re playing with when you start the game

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

It’s also funny to look at something like “prods are only one-hit-KO when landed on a weird backstab hitbox” as something I eagerly and studiously worked to master when I was 15, but would endlessly bitch abt were I to first encounter it in a game now, when I’m 37 years old.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Mr E posted:

The only thing that I really miss in shifter or GMDX IMO is how powerful the dragon tooth is against locked things in vanilla. It breaks the game but I think everyone should experience it at least once.

The plasma rifle thing still makes me sad. You're given it at the end of the first act as a way to really make a heavy weapons fit viable should you choose to invest nothing into rifles; and honestly, I think it works! With the plasma rifle and GEP gun, you have the tools you need to be a walking warcrime throughout the whole game. But without the plasma rifle all you have is the flamer which, while hilarious and very effective against a few enemies, falls short in the later areas of the game. As a result, almost everyone defaults to a rifles build, maybe splashing pistols or melee.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I started Mankind Divided and crashed twice so far, one when loading an autosave in the Dubai mission and the other during the cutscene after getting off the train. On Steam. Was this prone to crashing like that?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

aniviron posted:

As a result, almost everyone defaults to a rifles build, maybe splashing pistols or melee.

Pistol is solid right through the end of the game.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Grimthwacker posted:

I started Mankind Divided and crashed twice so far, one when loading an autosave in the Dubai mission and the other during the cutscene after getting off the train. On Steam. Was this prone to crashing like that?

I never had issues and don't remember people particularly complaining about bugs. Hope you can figure out what's going on, it's worth it.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Grimthwacker posted:

The same thing happened to me, it's a known issue. Just try again.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Grimthwacker posted:

The game had memory leak issues for me where it would get progressively choppier the longer I played. Had to restart the game every hour or so.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Basic Chunnel posted:

It’s also funny to look at something like “prods are only one-hit-KO when landed on a weird backstab hitbox” as something I eagerly and studiously worked to master when I was 15, but would endlessly bitch abt were I to first encounter it in a game now, when I’m 37 years old.

Stick with the knees. Prod at the knees.

Butterwagon
Mar 21, 2010

Lookit that stupid ass-hole!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBUPONpZQSM

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Revision bundles in most useful mods, including the Lay D Denton mod which gets her tone just right, so that's obviously the correct choice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naDOv1W6-Cc

barbecue at the folks fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jan 28, 2024

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
The biggest part of Revision is the maps. Unfortunately the worst part of Revision is also the maps. We're talking major layout changes; adding an NSF trooper and removing the medical bot from the normally fairly safe first area of Liberty Island; completely rearranging Hell's Kitchen and Paris so they're extra obnoxious to navigate; putting a (thankfully optional) giant stupid Tomb Raider area beneath the graveyard; removing some infolink calls that offer interesting foreshadowing or useful info.

For a first playthrough I'd honestly recommend the vanilla game with Kentie's Deus Exe and maybe one of the smaller patches like ConFix. No new content, just a couple logic fixes for stuff like the game holding you responsible for murdering everyone in Castle Clinton if Navarre guns down three guys.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I just can't go back to the original's terrible gunplay, and I recently tried with Biomod. GMDX was all right in that regard but it amped up the challenge to the point where I basically got softlocked getting toward the tail end. The Jensen games do shooting so well.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

*mj-12 runs randomly*
ung ugh oof ung

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Grimthwacker posted:

The Jensen games do shooting so well.

Mankind Divided is, I feel, the only time the series has made gunplay as fun as stealth. Melee takedowns are still the dominant option, and the pre-order bonus tranq rifle is stupidly overpowered, but just the availability of less-lethal EMP ammo for most small arms means you have more options in a shootout than plinking away with your stun gun and hoping somebody gets close enough for melee.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
God, I'd blotted out how HR was just a long series of punching people. What a way to ruin all the other effort that went into making it.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Thanks for completely forgetting about the upgraded 10mm. poo poo carved up to and until Picus where you could still 1 head shot big augs.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Serephina posted:

God, I'd blotted out how HR was just a long series of punching people. What a way to ruin all the other effort that went into making it.

This is why I hate games that give XP for kills; and some mods for DX do this too! It's awful. The player will do whatever gives them the most XP, which in the case of DXHR means punching everyone from the shadows, sometimes two at a time. Vanilla OG DX gives experience basically for milestones and exploring and that's it, and I think that's perfect.

Even when playing MD 'normally' it's a real struggle not to just one-shot everything with a silenced pistol. It's too bad, because the combat could be really fun otherwise.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Plus if you are punching everyone from the shadows, you won't have any need for many of the combat related augs and will end up with a lot of unused praxis points. That was my experience with those two games anyway.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Thanks for completely forgetting about the upgraded 10mm. poo poo carved up to and until Picus where you could still 1 head shot big augs.

I have a picture somewhere on my Steam account of a giant pile of at least a dozen corpses at Tai Yung I made by headshotting people from the shadows. The armor piercing upgrade makes it so powerful even in the late game.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

The inevitable has come to pass

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

I want to post an expletive filled invective directed at Embracer that would earn me a probe but this will suffice instead.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Motherfucker

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
What a rotten way for a project to die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Yeah, RIP